daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2013, 07:49 PM   #8321
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4014

Back to square one. How you see the place this moment in time. That's fair enough. No forward vision or realistic approach to what it MIGHT be like though. Plus, I originally I said 5-10 years time I think Aldgate will have a fantastic streetscape.

Firstly.

Are you my 2nd opinion I don't know about?

Secondly.

If you are, you've got between 1,825 and 3,650 days to change your mind.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8322
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Firstly.

Are you my 2nd opinion I don't know about?

Secondly.

If you are, you've got between 1,825 and 3,650 days to change your mind.
What?

Quote:
No forward vision or realistic approach to what it MIGHT be like though. Plus, I originally I said 5-10 years time I think Aldgate will have a fantastic streetscape.
Realistically nothing will change, because as I already explained for that to happen the area would have to be thoroughly redesigned. Noone is proposing to do that, they are merely swaping concrete for glass. Aldgate is essentially an island of offices surrounded by busy roads, the nearest excitement (ie bars, shops etc) is to the north in Spitalfields and Whitechapel.

Last edited by El_Greco; October 31st, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:02 PM   #8323
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Terrific. Now we can move on.
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8324
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Really? Where did you live?

Take a closer look. The majority of new builds are horrendous, done on the cheap. I'm talking about these apartment blocks which offer no cohesion, do not suit the purposes they would require to do so in the UK and completely skimp on asthetics on the whole.

It's a mis-mash of average construction projects. The main tourist areas are superb. Beyond that it's terrible and if you don't think that then Aldgate must be absolutely stunning.
I lived in El Raval. I'm not going to get into comparing Barcelona with Aldgate, but take issue with your sweeping 'unbelievably bad' comment. I see here now that you concede some areas are 'superb'. It's apparent that in taking certain forumers to task, you tend to hyperbole.

tonttula liked this post
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM   #8325
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

Quote:
London Property Has Become A New Global Reserve Currency

In a weekend New York Times opinion piece, London-based journalist Michael Goldfarb describes a trend of neighbors relocating from London to other metropolitan areas in Great Britain due to soaring housing prices.

"This is what happens when property in your city becomes a global reserve currency," writes Goldfarb. "The gap between London prices and those of the rest of the country is now at a historic high, and there is only one way to explain it. London houses and apartments are a form of money."

Goldfarb chalks up London property's reserve currency status to favorable property tax laws — those property owners with additional residences outside the country are only taxed on their British earnings, effectively turning the London market into a giant tax haven.

"In 2011, at the height of the euro zone crisis, citizens of the two countries at the epicenter of the cataclysm — Greece and Italy — bought 400 million pounds’ worth of London bricks and mortar," writes Goldfarb. "The Italian and Greek rich, fearing the single currency would collapse, got their money out of euros and parked it someplace where government was relatively stable, and the tax regime was gentle — very, very gentle."

http://www.businessinsider.com/londo...rrency-2013-10

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:48 PM   #8326
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60729

London City Island | Canning Town E16

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=390192

Official website: http://www.londoncityisland.com/

The developer of London City Island has released a promotional clip for the project:

On site, the hoardings are beginning to emerge:

lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:06 PM   #8327
SE9
South East Nine

Royal Wharf | Silvertown E16

Official website: http://www.royalwharf.com/

Similarly, the same developer has released a promotional clip for Royal Wharf:

Royal Wharf is a substantial residential development situated between the River Thames and DLR line between Canning Town and Woolwich Arsenal:

The site is located to the left of this photo:

image hosted on flickr

DLR by jeremy768, on Flickr

Birmingham, lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:01 PM   #8328
SE9
South East Nine

London developers tap into city's South Bank
Agence France-Presse
31 October 2013

Old October 31st, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8329
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Royal Wharf | Silvertown E16

Royal Wharf is a substantial residential development situated between the River Thames and DLR line between Canning Town and Woolwich Arsenal:

Those buildings look super ugly.
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:22 PM   #8330
Metropole

Likes (Received): 20435

Is there some place that has a list of larger residential projects in London that have planning permission but no funding? I know people interested in investing in London who have money but no project. Prime locations with extortionate prices will be considered favourably. You can PM me.

Last edited by Metropole; October 31st, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Metropole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:28 AM   #8331
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I lived in El Raval. I'm not going to get into comparing Barcelona with Aldgate, but take issue with your sweeping 'unbelievably bad' comment. I see here now that you concede some areas are 'superb'. It's apparent that in taking certain forumers to task, you tend to hyperbole.
I wasn't comparing Barcelona to Aldgate. We were discussing the general asthetics of the streetscapes in Barcelona outside the main core. As much as I enjoy the city there is a lot to be desired outside of the main tourist areas which I think is a fair opinion to have. I think a lot of people don't understand the true characteristics of many cities on here because often it's just looking at images which often posted are normally the best ones as they are trying to showcase the home town which is understandable. Hyperbole does become more evident when discussions become more aggressive for sure. I have walked around Raval, thought it was very nice the streetscape itself still came across as rather messy although there are some great pieces of art and sculptures. Hope you enjoyed your time there.
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:29 AM   #8332
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTS View Post
Those buildings look super ugly.
It's the new London model. I think they fit in well with the topography. Simple but elegant at the same time. I like the fact that they are using the embankment to its full potential with the promenade.
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:45 AM   #8333
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Greco, I think you are being contrarian just for the sake of it.

Barcelona is a fascinating place, but I think you're over-egging it. Its modern architecture is much lower in quality than that of Northern Europe's capitals. It has a great buzzz to it, but it is also undeniably messy and dirty.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:48 AM   #8334
NWTS
BANNED

"The London Olympics 2012"

A Success Story in Sustainable Infrastructure Development; Looking Beyond the Games

Sir John Armitt, CBE, chairman of National Express and the former chairman of London's Olympic Delivery Authority provided the keynote presentation at Bentley Systems' Year in Infrastructure conference in London, UK. His remarks provided insights to the massive undertaking that was involved in constructing the infrastructure for the Games of the 30th Olympiad held in London in 2012.

Sir John Armitt, CBE, chairman of National Express and the former chairman of London's Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) for the 2012 Games provided detailed insights on how this type of massive infrastructure project was conceived and developed. Sir John admitted to surprise when London was awarded the Games of the 30th Olympiad.

http://www.directionsmag.com/article...ructure/364275

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:50 AM   #8335
NWTS
BANNED

Queen Elizabeth Hospital redevelopment gets go ahead

The redevelopment of the historic Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children has been approved in spite of major objections from local people.

Greater London Authority said they are satisfied with the scale and design of the proposed replacement buildings, while they believe that the Mayor’s strategic planning concerns over the matter have been satisfactory addressed.

Tower Hamlets Council had approved the scheme for the redevelopment of the former hospital in August. However, the application was forwarded to Boris Johnson because of objections to the demolition of the historical building which sits on the borders of Tower Hamlets and Hackney.

http://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/201...iven-go-ahead/

Old November 1st, 2013, 01:51 AM   #8336
NWTS
BANNED

Grosvenor's Bermondsey plan takes the biscuit

The historic owner of swathes of Mayfair and Belgravia is looking beyond its heartland in central London with plans to build 800 homes in a former biscuit factory south of the river.

Grosvenor Estates, the Duke of Westminster’s property company, today announced plans to build the homes in Bermondsey, south-east London, as part of a £51 million deal with property group Workspace.

“Once completed this will be a thriving residential and business location, providing Southwark with its largest hub for small and growing businesses.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/b...t-8901089.html

lafreak84, Loathing, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:57 AM   #8337
NWTS
BANNED

Boris grants developer's wish and calls in £1 billion scheme
30 October 2013

Convoys Wharf masterplan by Farrells

Hutchison Whampoa goes straight to top after losing patience with London council over Farrells project

Boris Johnson has called in Farrells’ £1 billion Convoys Wharf project in Deptford after the developer appealed directly to the mayor for help.

Hutchison Whampoa lost patience with the local authority, accusing it of making “unreasonable and unwarranted” demands and of pushing the scheme’s viability “to its limits”.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/boris...062862.article

Ulpia-Serdica, lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by NWTS; November 1st, 2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:04 AM   #8338
NWTS
BANNED

Brent Civic Centre by Hopkins Architects
30 October 2013

Housing everything from library facilities to formal banquets, Hopkins Architects’ Brent Civic Centre provides its local community with a bold new focus

As they struggle to maintain front-line services, most local authorities would place major building projects close to the bottom of their current priorities. The London Borough of Brent’s new civic centre is in fact only the second council-funded building of any real size that I have had the opportunity to review this year. The other was Birmingham Library and it is no coincidence that both projects were largely financed by property deals with the private sector.

Providing offices for multiple departments along with an ample spread of public facilities, the civic centre’s construction has enabled Brent to vacate 17 buildings. Some it was renting, while those in its ownership have been sold; the largest, the old Brent Town Hall, is currently being converted into London’s third lycée.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/...062802.article

Old November 1st, 2013, 02:18 AM   #8339
Syndic

Likes (Received): 41

I'm curious. Do London architects and developers not like traditional English architecture? Because I see practically no influence of it in any of the new buildings being built today.

NWTS liked this post
Syndic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:28 AM   #8340
SE9
South East Nine

The New London Vernacular is an emerging architectural form that is present in many new projects here.

Architecture changes with the times, with factors being fashion, available technologies and cost. It's unreasonable to expect new London projects to imitate past styles such as Tudor, Elizabethan and Gregorian architecture en masse.

hugh, Birmingham, jamiefearon, RobH, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom