daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:34 AM   #8341
tonttula
Registered User
 
tonttula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 356
Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I'm curious. Do London architects and developers not like traditional English architecture? Because I see practically no influence of it in any of the new buildings being built today.
If anything I think London has very much a distinct architecture going on. Leadenhall I could have guessed to be being built in London by just seeing a render.
You need to open us what "traditional" means. There have been a lot of styles layered around London over time, and that's kind of the point. You move on.
__________________

hugh, LDN_EUROPE, jamiefearon, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by tonttula; November 1st, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM   #8342
NWTS
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 455
Likes (Received): 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I'm curious. Do London architects and developers not like traditional English architecture? Because I see practically no influence of it in any of the new buildings being built today.
I think most projects are funded and owned by foreign companies and international banks.
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:40 AM   #8343
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,026
Likes (Received): 3987

Whats traditional English style?? Trends in British architecture have changed so many times over the course of it's history it's types/styles of constructions far out weigh any other nation on earth. If you expect British housing estateesque developments in the centre of London you won't find it but there are many British architects who still design and there many contractors who still build "british" homes I think you're talking about all across the country.

Plus Bricks and Mortar plus scaffolding isn't very good after the 5/6th floor
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:01 AM   #8344
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,351
Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I know what i'm talking about thank you. Please don't tell me you believe what you're writing? As much as I love Barcelona the majority of it is very, very poor. How do you come up with the conclusion that it is the most architecturally exciting city in Europe? Yes it has some great buildings and the cathedral is probably the most awe inspiring structure anyone is likely to see the first time you set your eyes on it but in the bigger the city is a mess and ironically, it is absolutely jam packed full of street clutter. It's dirty. It lacks cohesion, It's a nightmare to get around, the roads are horrendous to drive, the roads are horrendous to cross. Rear facades are completely ignored. Full the majority if you were to have most of Barcelona's streets in London or any UK city it would be classified as unfit for purpose, tacky and dirty.
What a load of crap!

London is the only UK city that could possible rival Barcelona, in terms of pretty much everything.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM   #8345
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,351
Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Trends in British architecture have changed so many times over the course of it's history it's types/styles of constructions far out weigh any other nation on earth.
More nationalist bullshit.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM   #8346
virtuesoft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London
Posts: 40
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
More nationalist bullshit.
Yes, it is another nationalist statement. However, it is also very true. Name me another nation that has gone through as many changes in architectural styles as the UK...
virtuesoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:59 AM   #8347
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,026
Likes (Received): 3987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
What a load of crap!

London is the only UK city that could possible rival Barcelona, in terms of pretty much everything.
Have you actually read anything that's been said. It seems you have missed the point entirely. The majority of the streets in Barcelona OUTSIDE THE CORE tourist areas aren't asthetically pleasing. They are dirty, full of grafiti, shop fronts are done poorly, windows are sparse, narrow, cluttered, poor paving, cars can go down every road, lack of public seating areas etc.

This has nothing to do whatsoever with what Barcelona has in comparison to other British cities. I'm well aware that Barcelona is far superior to any other British city. I love the bloody place. BUT WE WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT THAT.

If you don't know what the discussion is, don't turn up spouting nonsense and create arguments you have no actual idea the original discussion was even about.
__________________

Bligh liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM   #8348
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,026
Likes (Received): 3987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
More nationalist bullshit.
Jesus Christ. I actually really dislike people like you. It's fact. It doesn't even mean it's a good thing. British cities are very disjointed IMO, there's hardly any constant which is why Bath, Cambridge, Oxford, York are so highly regarded in the UK compared to the likes of Birmingham, Brighton, Liverpool etc. It's like Spaniards claiming they are the best football team in the world. It's fact. Do we call them nationalistic? Who even believes that would be nationalistic?? If someone was to say England won the 1966 World Cup around here they would be called nationalistic just because people like you have such a chip on your shoulder it's impossible for Britain/British to have the most/best of anything. It stinks of jealousy.

I advise you if you don't work in construction to actually research construction methods/types throughout history before talking such shit.
__________________

Bligh, NWTS, jamiefearon, Iapetus liked this post

Last edited by Birmingham; November 1st, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:05 PM   #8349
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,440
Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Jesus Christ. I actually really dislike people like you. It's fact. It doesn't even mean it's a good thing. British cities are very disjointed IMO, there's hardly any constant which is why Bath, Cambridge, Oxford, York are so highly regarded in the UK compared to the likes of Birmingham, Brighton, Liverpool etc. It's like Spaniards claiming they are the best football team in the world. It's fact. Do we call them nationalistic? Who even believes that would be nationalistic?? If someone was to say England won the 1966 World Cup around here they would be called nationalistic just because people like you have such a chip on your shoulder it's impossible for Britain/British to have the most/best of anything. It stinks of jealousy.

I advise you if you don't work in construction to actually research construction methods/types throughout history before talking such shit.
lol I dont know you, but I seriously love you on this forum.

VERY well said.

A minority of Anglophobic Europeans on this Forum absolutely hate the idea of Britain being the best at anything.... well quite frankly - The British have done so much in architecture its mind blowing. After all Britain was the centre of Architecture in the whole world as it has so many influences from it's colonies - different styles, cultures and attitudes. Denying this is like denying that the British Empire ever happened. It's a fact.

Britain has SUCH a rich architectual heritage. None of us are saying that Spain does not... but I'm pretty sure our landmarks and range of architecture is more well known than Barcelona's.

People all around the world knows London and the UK for architecture. Not only old, but new. The London skyline has been used so much in media recently, with films such as;
- Thor 2
- Fast and Furious
- Star Trek into Darkness (modernised London Skyline - but landmarks still visible.)
- Fantastic Four

There is more but I wont bore everyone... I think we all get the point.

http://www.globotreks.com/destinatio...-architecture/
- Top 5 Cities to visit in Europe for architecture. You can look at most websites and London comes 1st or 2nd - not topped by Barcelona.

__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Birmingham, LAYiddo liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:53 PM   #8350
NWTS
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 455
Likes (Received): 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
What a load of crap!

London is the only UK city that could possible rival Barcelona, in terms of pretty much everything.
I think City of Westminster alone can compete with Barcelona in many aspects. Oh btw, we are in the construction forum and we are talking about projects.
__________________

Zaz965 liked this post
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM   #8351
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,026
Likes (Received): 3987

It's certainly the case that due the British Empire we have taken some of the best architectural styles from the world over and incorporated them within British cities. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. It however did help significantly in the UK become a world leader in architectural design and quality. It's not always replicated but it runs much deeper then visual appearance. The world refers to British forms of contracts, H&S procedures, procurement etc. I work for a foreign company. Despite being massive they still suffer drastically on building to a level associated within the UK. The profit margins are so much larger internationally because of this. You can't skimp over here because there are so many regulations and potential banana skins if you do, you've thrown your already minimal percentage out the window. It's also the reasoning behind the time scale it takes in the UK on average to get from pre-planning to approval.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8352
tonttula
Registered User
 
tonttula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 356
Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
lol I dont know you, but I seriously love you on this forum.

VERY well said.

A minority of Anglophobic Europeans on this Forum absolutely hate the idea of Britain being the best at anything.... well quite frankly - The British have done so much in architecture its mind blowing. After all Britain was the centre of Architecture in the whole world as it has so many influences from it's colonies - different styles, cultures and attitudes. Denying this is like denying that the British Empire ever happened. It's a fact.

Britain has SUCH a rich architectual heritage. None of us are saying that Spain does not... but I'm pretty sure our landmarks and range of architecture is more well known than Barcelona's.

People all around the world knows London and the UK for architecture. Not only old, but new. The London skyline has been used so much in media recently, with films such as;
- Thor 2
- Fast and Furious
- Star Trek into Darkness (modernised London Skyline - but landmarks still visible.)
- Fantastic Four

There is more but I wont bore everyone... I think we all get the point.

http://www.globotreks.com/destinatio...-architecture/
- Top 5 Cities to visit in Europe for architecture. You can look at most websites and London comes 1st or 2nd - not topped by Barcelona.

....how did you even switch the situation suddenly to him being jealous? Look at his comment history. If anything so many comments hear sound so very none British to me. So full of themself that it's a bit sickening.

And please, don't go in the lowest form of reasoning. Showing pointless "studies" that proof whatever your agenda is. Here's some top ones that come from Google when you write top + architecture + cities + world.
http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/travel/t...apitals_2.html
http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-trav...rts---Crafts_4
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/0...ecture-lovers/
http://www.archdaily.com/62542/
And yes, I would say that Barcelona, Rome and Paris in Europe for the very least are much more recognized around the world and embedded to popular culture. You don't example see Chinese building mini London or London themed casino being build to Las Vegas. But who knows that might indeed change in 100 hundred years, or those European cities come even more of a relics.

I love you British and visit London at least once a year thanks to my job, but you don't need to be proving you are better than French all the time here. Trust me, there are no Anglophobic Europeans in Nordics.
__________________

Mr Bricks liked this post

Last edited by tonttula; November 1st, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:02 PM   #8353
GeorgeHarveyBone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 15

We could rename this thread 'London propaganda/dick-waving' and have done with it

OR we could just focus on projects and construction photos & news...
GeorgeHarveyBone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM   #8354
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh
 
Quicksilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dubai/Chelmsford
Posts: 9,460
Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
....how did you even switch the situation suddenly to him being jealous? Look at his comment history. If anything so many comments hear sound so very none British to me. So full of themself that it's a bit sickening.

And please, don't go in the lowest form of reasoning. Showing pointless "studies" that proof whatever your agenda is. Here's some top ones that come from Google when you write top + architecture + cities + world.
http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/travel/t...apitals_2.html
http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-trav...rts---Crafts_4
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/0...ecture-lovers/
http://www.archdaily.com/62542/
And yes, I would say that Barcelona, Rome and Paris in Europe for the very least are much more recognized around the world and embedded to popular culture. You don't example see Chinese building mini London or London themed casino being build to Las Vegas. But who knows that might indeed change in 100 hundred years, or those European cities come even more of a relics.

I love you British and visit London at least once a year thanks to my job, but you don't need to be proving you are better than French all the time here. Trust me, there are no Anglophobic Europeans in Nordics.
Off topic but you are actually very wrong here, here is one example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-landmark.html

there is also "replica of English village" next to Shanghai and I am sure there are plenty more.

Also for the "popular culture" which is in fact run by anglo-saxon people and 90% of movies and 80% of pop songs are done by them, it would be naive to think that any other city outside anglo-saxon realm would even come close to London (shall I remind you what movie took second spot last year in both France and Germany and was a true international sensation?). Any famous pedestrian crossing in Paris or abandoned Power Station in Barcelona? NO, I don't think so. And you, and 80% of population familiar with popular culture would name those objects in London easily.
__________________

Birmingham liked this post

Last edited by Quicksilver; November 1st, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8355
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,026
Likes (Received): 3987

Tonttula, how very contradictive and GeorgeHarvey - yes, how about we pretend we dislike things in London (considering its a London thread) to appease the anti-London brigade that stalks it. How can someone seeing the potential of a streetscape in London be exploited as propaganda and dickwaving? If anything surely it's the anti-propganda brigade that turned this into what it's become anyway. So why are you not picking up on that? Really. it's got to a point now where it's simply ridiculous how saying anything good/potentially good about anything in the UK is being accused of trollish ways. Its embarrassing. The only explanation for this is the fact that people are actually jealous and you can deny it all you want but this is exactly how I acted when I was younger with friends and their girlfriends etc. "oh they've got something better than me, i'm going to shoot them down whenever I can" - It just took maturity to realise that all it was, was they were actually better looking than me. Get a grip and grow up.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8356
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie
 
El_Greco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London/Taipei
Posts: 19,307
Likes (Received): 8164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
Europeans on this Forum absolutely hate the idea of Britain being the best at anything....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
The only explanation for this is the fact that people are actually jealous
Here we go jealous continentals...This thread is just embarrassing.
__________________
My Travels : Barcelona|Edinburgh|Glasgow|London|Madrid|New York|Paris|Taipei|Vilnius
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM   #8357
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,440
Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Here we go jealous continentals...This thread is just embarrassing.
It really is a minority of "continentals" or whoever - either way, why would people come to put down London on a London thread. It is a little silly.

But everyone has their own opinion!
__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

NWTS liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM   #8358
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,026
Likes (Received): 3987

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Here we go jealous continentals...This thread is just embarrassing.
Yes and you've only got yourself to blame for causing such a stir because you are unable to listen to other peoples opinions. But if you can find another way to explain the constant negativity surrounding the city by the same forumers I would love to know because if it's because you see things differently then surely this whole debate has been one big contradiction on your behalf. Why don't you let people have there say instead of insulting them and others will let you ahve your say with the same merit.

I think what annoys people the most is for months and months a London thread can be fine, then somewhere there is a "lurker" (like you) who waits, and waits to pick on something someone says to have a bash. Before then you post very little if at all then BANG. Someone has said something I don't agree with. Lets throw the kitchen sink at this. People like you are just incapable of being wrong and see others views as irrelevant.

In the real world, not behind a computer screen you'd be called deluded and stuck up.

Anyway ...

I've had enough. Wish I never actually said "I think this area (Aldgate) will have a fantastic streetscape in 5-10 years time with this current development rate" ... It obviously won't. I'm wrong, your right and London's shit.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 04:15 PM   #8359
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie
 
El_Greco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London/Taipei
Posts: 19,307
Likes (Received): 8164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
constant negativity surrounding the city by the same forumers I would love to know because.
Because no other thread on SSC is filled with so much poison and nationalist bs as this one. Not New York, not Tokyo, not Sydney and not Paris. I'm hardly the first to notice it. Most of all I never called any city or any country 'shit'.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 04:17 PM   #8360
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,440
Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Because no other thread on SSC is filled with so much poison and nationalist bs as this one. Not New York, not Tokyo, not Sydney and not Paris. I'm hardly the first to notice it. Most of all I never called any city or any country 'shit'.
lol not really...
__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu