daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2013, 04:31 PM   #8361
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60758

Royal Wharf | Silvertown E16

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1669965

Official website: http://www.royalwharf.com/

London Royal Docks Site Purchased by Singapore Developer
Bloomberg
1 November 2013
Quote:
Oxley Holdings Ltd. (OHL), a Singapore-based property developer, will build 3,400 homes in London after buying the city’s largest mixed-use real estate site since the sale of Battersea Power Station.

The developer bought the 40-acre (16-hectare) Royal Wharf site at the Royal Docks on the banks of the River Thames from Ballymore Properties Holdings Ltd. and will build homes, offices and shops, London-based broker Knight Frank said in an e-mailed statement. The deal is Oxley’s first in the U.K., according to the broker. Terms weren’t disclosed.

“Royal Wharf is an outstanding opportunity and offers a blank canvas to create something very special for London,” Oxley Chief Executive Officer Ching Chiat Kwong said in the statement. “Oxley will create a vibrant district and the opportunity cannot be missed by Londoners.”

More than 250 million pounds ($400 million) has been spent on land for homes in London’s Docklands area this year and an additional 2 billion pounds must be invested to fund the projects, according to Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. Knight Frank was hired to sell the site alongside London-based broker Alan Selby and Partners LLP in April.

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8362
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

That looks outstanding. Really good development especially with nearby Crossrail.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:48 PM   #8363
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4015

I'd like them to push the boundaries more and get a bit more height but it's certainly very nice.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:54 PM   #8364
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I'd like them to push the boundaries more and get a bit more height but it's certainly very nice.
I guess London City airport is preventing them from doing this. Otherwise let's bring Vancouver style apartment towers to Thames banks.

7rani liked this post
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM   #8365
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Because no other thread on SSC is filled with so much poison and nationalist bs as this one. Not New York, not Tokyo, not Sydney and not Paris. I'm hardly the first to notice it. Most of all I never called any city or any country 'shit'.
Firstly nobody called anywhere shit except you! Secondly. All forumers boast about the success of their cities. Has it ever crossed your mind it's just because London actually has more to boast about. If you want to see nationalistic bullshit turn on the tv and watching some American movies. You're sounding more pathetic by the day.

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8366
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Likes (Received): 482

I found this article about the planned Garden Bridge over the Thames and thought you guys might be interested.

Source: http://londonist.com/

Quote:
The 360-metre-long pedestrian bridge would be built between Waterloo and Blackfriars Bridges, linking the Temple area to the Southbank, where the ITV tower stands.

The consultation is organised by the newly appointed The Garden Bridge Trust, and supported by Transport for London. Public feedback on matters such as the landscaping and materials used will be fed into the planning application in the first few months of 2014.

If the planning process runs smoothly, the Trust hopes to open the bridge in 2018. About half the £150 million price tag has already been offered by private donors and the Mayor and relevant local authorities are supportive.
More: http://londonist.com/2013/11/garden-...es-forward.php

Birmingham liked this post
Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8367
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I guess London City airport is preventing them from doing this. Otherwise let's bring Vancouver style apartment towers to Thames banks.
Yeah I suspect so. It's certainly in a great spot tocreate a water front skyline.
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:37 PM   #8368
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

What I've learnt from the last 3 pages of this thread:

Barcelona is a model for urban rejuvenation in the world.
Barcelona is a dirty mess.
London is the best city for architecture in the world.
Paris, Rome, and Barcelona are the recognized as being the best cities in the world for architecture.
In China there are replicas of Parisian icon but none of London's icons.
In China there is a full-sized replica of Tower Bridge, as well as several replica English villages and towns.
In places like Las Vegas there is a miniature Eiffel Tower but no miniature London landmark.
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:41 PM   #8369
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Yeah I suspect so. It's certainly in a great spot tocreate a water front skyline.
Yes, they absolutely must do something like this one day in London:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/...er_skyline.jpg

http://www.bigskyline.com/images/Sky...ncouver-BC.jpg

Just urban beauty to my taste...

Ivanator, Zaz965 liked this post
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:56 PM   #8370
Astyan
Алекс

Likes (Received): 27

Continental here, French on top of things, and I think London is doing a fantastic job at redeveloping former industrial areas and building downright stunning buildings (well okay, except maybe the quasi-murderous Walkie-Talkie).

You guys have every right to be proud and even boastful. Wish we had as many ambitious projects in Paris as London does.

RobH, Ivanator, NWTS, LDN_EUROPE, LAYiddo and 1 others liked this post
Astyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #8371
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 994

Quote:
Whats traditional English style?? it's types/styles of constructions far out weigh any other nation on earth.
What a load of arrogance, unbelievable. I could name you one European city, which is so architecturally diverse that it would blow your mind but it would be a waste of time. BTW Europeans love London and love to go there. Nobody begrudges London it's success and it's been a lot of fun following this thread but people like you are a turn-off.

hugh, OnTheNorthRoad, streetscapeer liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:04 PM   #8372
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

C'mon guys, I've just read the last three pages (don't know why) and whilst Birmingham might be prone to overegging his point, he hasn't said London is perfect and the rest of the world is shit. Ignore what I think are some of his overexaggerations and he's got some decent points to make. No problem with his posts here at all!
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:12 PM   #8373
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5849

El Greco causing arguments again! He wont change his opinion that the UK is far worse than Europe, despite the obvious that the UK and Europe are identical having good and bad points and neither being better or worse than the other overall. As for this thread London has some of the best projects IMO in Europe and the world, and the levels of investment in London are something other UK, European and world cities could only dream of! London is regaining its role as the world city, with all that is good and bad about that from current trends.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM   #8374
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

^ Indeed. El_Greco always makes the problems. This thread is absolutely peaceful and helpful if he does not make an appearance here.

LDN_EUROPE, Zaz965 liked this post
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:20 PM   #8375
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Is it El Greco or is it the tedious amount of self-congratulatory posts? While there are some terrific projects going up in London, how about letting them speak for themselves rather than declaring how great things are all the time?
Separate note, an ongoing thanks to SE9 for making this thread worthwhile.

SE9, Daviegraham, streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by hugh; November 1st, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #8376
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8169

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
He wont change his opinion that the UK is far worse than Europe.
Except I never said anything of the sort (show me), you guys do this and it's getting old. The best projects in the world? Have you looked at the map lately? It's a pretty big world! And can you please define 'best'?

It looks like noone's much interested in architecture or urbanity on here anymore, but getting one over Paris or wherever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTS View Post
^ Indeed..
Look who's talking! Remind us again why you were banned, SO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Is it El Greco or is it the tedious amount of self-congratulatory posts? While there are some terrific projects going up in London, how about letting them speak for themselves rather than declaring how great things are all the time? Separate note, an ongoing thanks to SE9 for making this thread worthwhile.

Last edited by El_Greco; November 1st, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:29 PM   #8377
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
What I've learnt from the last 3 pages of this thread:

Barcelona is a model for urban rejuvenation in the world.
Barcelona is a dirty mess.
London is the best city for architecture in the world.
Paris, Rome, and Barcelona are the recognized as being the best cities in the world for architecture.
In China there are replicas of Parisian icon but none of London's icons.
In China there is a full-sized replica of Tower Bridge, as well as several replica English villages and towns.
In places like Las Vegas there is a miniature Eiffel Tower but no miniature London landmark.
Brilliant.
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:54 PM   #8378
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60758

The Garden Bridge | Temple-South Bank

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1544376

Official website: http://www.gardenbridgetrust.org/

Public consultation has started regarding a new £150m pedestrian bridge spanning the River Thames:

- BBC: Views sought on River Thames garden bridge

- Evening Standard: Bridge to the future: London’s Thames garden

- The Guardian: Plans for UK's first garden bridge: the £150m project to span the Thames

- Building Design: Public consultation begins on Heatherwick's £150m garden bridge

Last edited by SE9; November 2nd, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:59 PM   #8379
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

I bow down to an architect who came up with this idea. The Garden Bridge, what a brilliant and creative ambition. Fantastic.

Edit: Oh El Greco, are you going to insult me and my personal life because of this compliment too?

TowerVerre:), Birmingham, Jamsterx, Zaz965 liked this post
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8380
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTS View Post
I bow down to an architect who came up with this idea. The Garden Bridge, what a brilliant and creative ambition. Fantastic.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom