daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2013, 11:23 PM   #8381
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Is it El Greco or is it the tedious amount of self-congratulatory posts? While there are some terrific projects going up in London, how about letting them speak for themselves rather than declaring how great things are all the time?
Separate note, an ongoing thanks to SE9 for making this thread worthwhile.
Hear, hear.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:29 PM   #8382
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTS View Post
I bow down to an architect who came up with this idea.
The idea was Joanna Lumley's (of Ab Fab, Averngers, Gurkhas fame).

Heatherwick (of Shangai Pavillion, London Olympic Cauldron, Boris Bus fame) is the 'architect' who's realised these plans.

I guess the next stage is getting funding and keeping our fingers crossed that the budget doesn't escalate (aka Cable-car-itus) and the gardens aren't reduced to a few pot-plants (aka 20FS-itus).
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8383
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Heatherwick
The guy has some fantastic ideas. Love his designs. Very aesthetic.

jamiefearon liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM   #8384
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60727

Google $1bn London Headquarters | King's Cross N1C

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=505188

New images have been released of Google's new London headquarters, due to be completed in 2016.

Project facts

- Floors: 11

- Floorspace: 93,000m²

- Workforce: 5,000

- Site area: 2.4 acres

Old November 1st, 2013, 11:49 PM   #8385
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
despite the obvious that the UK and Europe are identical having good and bad points and neither being better or worse than the other overall. As for this thread London has some of the best projects IMO in Europe and the world, and the levels of investment in London are something other UK, European and world cities could only dream of! London is regaining its role as the world city, with all that is good and bad about that from current trends.
Quote:
Is it El Greco or is it the tedious amount of self-congratulatory posts? While there are some terrific projects going up in London, how about letting them speak for themselves rather than declaring how great things are all the time?
Separate note, an ongoing thanks to SE9 for making this thread worthwhile.

Totally agree on both! Lets just tone down the absolute hyperbole posts by couple of posters in this thread and concentrated on the actual projects.
That's it for me, and lets keep the amazing London project coming.

hugh, Groningen NL, Zaz965 liked this post
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:52 PM   #8386
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Beautiful project!

I look forward to seeing what Wanda plans for NY. Hopefully, another supertall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post

Zaz965 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:58 AM   #8387
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4001

I agree. I over-egged some replies to defend my opinion but things like this snowball when there is someone who's ignorant to other peoples opinions and it's human nature to become more and more defensive so I apologise. I doubt he'll do the same but it doesn't really matter. It's amazing how things can develop over a simple opinion on Aldgate of all places.

In respect to the river crossings. London really lacks high quality pedestrian bridges and bridges in general. They can be so asthetically pleasing to their surroundings. This looks fabulous and I hope there are more to come because this is another thing we don't do well in our country. Utilise the waterways as well as we should. Birmingham is a massive sinner in this regard.

tonttula, Zaz965 liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8388
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

I'd written elsewhere that I didn't like the garden bridge, and though it looks better in these renderings, I think that still holds true. Apart from the upkeep, which seems impractical over a wind-swept urban (this part) river, it strikes me as a bit of kitsch, in a city lucky enough to have a plethora of real green spaces. New York might benefit from its High Line, Seoul from its Cheonggyecheon project, but in London I'd say it's redundant.
I want St James Park elegant, Hampstead Heath wild and rambling, and the central city stretch of the Thames, gritty.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM   #8389
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60727

184 Shepherd's Bush Road | Hammersmith W6

Architect's project page: http://www.colladocollins.com/projec...rds-bush-road/

Construction work has started on 184 Shepherd's Bush Road, which will become the new world headquarters of Dunnhumby: Work Begins Redesigning Landmark Building in Shepherd's Bush Road

TowerVerre:), lafreak84, LAYiddo, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM   #8390
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

By Sara Elin

image hosted on flickr

London Skyline by Sara Elin, on Flickr
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:26 PM   #8391
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
I'd written elsewhere that I didn't like the garden bridge, and though it looks better in these renderings, I think that still holds true. Apart from the upkeep, which seems impractical over a wind-swept urban (this part) river, it strikes me as a bit of kitsch, in a city lucky enough to have a plethora of real green spaces. New York might benefit from its High Line, Seoul from its Cheonggyecheon project, but in London I'd say it's redundant.
I want St James Park elegant, Hampstead Heath wild and rambling, and the central city stretch of the Thames, gritty.
I feel the same way. I really like the concept of a 'garden bridge' but i'm not too sure if it will reach it's full potential here. It will still add something, but it probably works better in a warmer climate, like Rome or Sevilla.

The design looks really nice tho, and will be an interesting construction process

Ivanator liked this post
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #8392
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12596

That may just be one of the best photo's of London I've ever come across!

Ivanator, hugh liked this post
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 12:21 AM   #8393
hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Moving on

I mentioned you due to this comment:

Why dont you expect to find self congratualatory post on a thread speciafically about London projects, it seems logical that a thread about great London projects should contatin praise for the projects, and promote all the good things that are going on in the city, same as all the other threads about other cities contain the same. There are alot of projects in london and therefore more praise or 'self congratualatory' posts! London isnt being bigged up, people are just posting relevant information that just happens to show how well London is doing, again accept that fact.
I gladly accept the fact that London is doing well, I challenge you to find any post I've made that suggests the contrary. My gripe is with the excess of self congratulation, comparisons or references to other cities, the amount of looking over one's shoulder. London doesn't need it.

streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by hugh; November 3rd, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:46 AM   #8394
NWTS
BANNED

Tate Modern

image hosted on flickr

View from the Shard - construction site by John Linwood, on Flickr

TowerVerre:), Zaz965 liked this post
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:28 AM   #8395
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
The New London Vernacular is an emerging architectural form that is present in many new projects here.

Architecture changes with the times, with factors being fashion, available technologies and cost. It's unreasonable to expect new London projects to imitate past styles such as Tudor, Elizabethan and Gregorian architecture en masse.
There's really no such thing as a modern, national sense of architectural style. You could plonk the shard in Dubai, Shanghai or Chicago and there'd be no way of identifying it as a 'British style building'.

You can see trends a lot easier in smaller, mostly residential buildings. But that's really a Northern European style rather than one limited to a nation.

Overall, the buildings going up in London are great. On a global scale, they're not that interesting, but they're still very good. Outside of London the stuff is largely provincial and unremarkable.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:50 AM   #8396
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I suppose you see buildings with lots of metal framework with ultra transparent glass in London rather than anywhere else.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:36 AM   #8397
hugh

I'd say that Rogers' works demonstrate a pretty clear London vernacular. 122 Leadenhall, Neo Bankside, Riverlight etc. Re contemporary architecture in London, rather than just the individual buildings, it's the layering that's the thing. When London gets it right, the contrast of old and new, arguably isn't bettered anywhere.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:51 AM   #8398
NWTS
BANNED

London's £4.1bn ($6.6bn) 'super sewer' is kicking up a stink as campaigners label it a 'monster'

The Thames Tideway Tunnel will be the deepest structure under the capital – if it ever gets built

The executive in charge of the £4.1bn tunnel project to transform London's Victorian-era sewer network is quick to point out he's an engineer by profession, not a politician or a PR man.

Thames Water's Phil Stride does have a special sewer-use-only suit though, and he's become quite adept at taking tours of researchers, campaigners and politicians down to explore London's ageing Victorian sewer network.

"The Thames Tideway Tunnel is absolutely urgently needed," he told The Independent on Sunday before a trip down Thames Water's Victorian sewer at Blackfriars in central London. "London's main sewers were built a 150 years ago at a time when there were just over two million people living in the city. Now there are eight million."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...r-8919213.html

TowerVerre:), lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:55 AM   #8399
NWTS
BANNED

London Gateway will reopen capital to the world's largest ships
9:00PM GMT 02 Nov 2013

The first scheduled commercial vessel in two generations will dock at a major new London deep-water port next week.

At around 11pm on Wednesday night, the MOL Caledon, a 58,000-tonne container ship bearing fruit and wine from South Africa, will mark a turning-point in British trading history.

Sailing under the Liberian flag from Cape Town for Mitsui OSK Lines, it will become the first scheduled commercial vessel in two generations to dock at a major new London deep-water port.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...est-ships.html
Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM   #8400
NWTS
BANNED

Countryside wins £150m ($240m) London estate rebuild

Enfield Council in London has named Countryside Properties as the preferred developer to regenerate the Alma Estate.

Countryside beat rival joint venture bidder Laing O’Rourke/Keepmoat with plans to demolish the four existing tower blocks with 800 homes council-owned, private and shared ownership homes to be owned by Newlon Housing Trust.

The £150m redevelopment is the council’s largest housing renewal project, and is part of the wider redevelopment of Ponders End that has already seen completion of a new school and upgrades to transport and a nearby park.

Cllr Ahmet Oykener, Enfield Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing said, “This investment will revive this part of Enfield, providing first class affordable family homes and state of the art facilities.

“The appointment of Countryside Properties takes us a big step forward towards rebuilding the estate; creating a greener, safer and brighter neighbourhood.”

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...state-rebuild/

lafreak84, TowerVerre:), Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom