daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #8421
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

One Commercial Street | Aldgate E1

Construction updates of 84m, 21 storey high-rise building by chest

TowerVerre:), lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #8422
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
The real problem is that there are no construction threads that are so filled with nationalist crap as this one. People come here to get info on new developments in London
You seem to be aware of who posts the stuff you don't like reading in this thread, so stop whining like a little baby and learn to use the 'ignore' function and put everyone out of your misery.

..same goes for that other whining pipsqueak 'El Greco'.

Zaz965 liked this post
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #8423
virtuesoft

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
You talk about architectural variety as if it was measurable! It's not a fact, far from it, the only fact here is that you don't know anything about 70% of the countries and cultures of the world. The same goes for Birmingham. Do some research before making absolute fools of yourselves.
The thing is, it is fairly measurable. The UK has a long history and has picked up architectural styles and inspiration from all over the globe. Mainly during it's time as an empire. It's different to most other countries in that it chopped and changed styles very frequently, mainly because new rulers wanted to stamp their mark with new grand buildings, built in new styles.

I can't be bothered to look up every architectural style in the UK over the past 2000 years, but off the top of my head here are some of the main ones that are still in existence today...

Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Gothic, Tudor, Elizabethan, Baroque, Jacobean, Edwardian, Georgian, Victorian, Mordernist, Brutalist, High-Tech, Post Modern

If you still think it's bullshit why don't you enlighten us all with some examples of other countries that have gone through as many different architectural styles as the UK has?

NWTS liked this post
virtuesoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #8424
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
I'm glad someone is providing a full list of scources. I'm sure Birminham's list is no less impressive
That wasn't a full list - it was off the top of my head.

It's well known to film geeks that A LOT more films and series are being filmed in London & the UK because it is cheap. Just research it.

To be honest I really do not blame Birmingham for actually defending his view and belief. People are coming to a London thread and telling someone who is passionate about London that he should not be passionate... look at it like that and you may understand why he and indeed many others are a little annoyed.

Fact and Opinion are two very different things - in reality there is no such thing as "The Best City in the world", nor is the a City with the best architecture in the world. What one person might find beautiful, another might find ugly and visa verser. However, much like New York, Paris, Frankfurt, Shanghai and more, London has a huge fan basis thus a lot of people ARE going to be bias and support their own City - fact or not. Why? Because they adore London. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Whether you think London's/Britain's architecture is good or bad is entirely up to you, and I am certainly not trying to stop you or anyone else from thinking this. It just may be a good idea not to express it on this thread because we all know it is going to upset/offend someone.

I hope I sound reasonable.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Ivanator, Langur, RobH liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #8425
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3987

Thought this was put to bed days ago!! Bricks was obviously missing his daily dose of Brit bashing.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8426
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7170

Quote:
Balfour Beatty wins £12m London M&E job

Galliford Try has handed Balfour Beatty Engineering Services the £11.8m M&E contract on the Alphabeta Building in London. The firm will start next month installing services for the refurbishment of the historic building – formerly known as Triton Court – in Finsbury Square.

Both firms also recently worked together successfully on the Bridgend Parc Prison project.

The £36m refurbishment will see the building become home to some of London’s most progressive companies.

BBES will fully update the power, lighting, fire alarms, air, data and security systems to Category A standard. High ceiling levels will ensure the building has a sense of spa.

BBES will assemble pre-checked M&E systems at their ‘Modular Systems+’ facility in Wednesbury, to reduce both the cost and time taken to install the complex systems required for the Alphabeta building.

Phil McGuire, managing director, Balfour Beatty Engineering Services, said: “This award strengthens our position as a leading mechanical and electrical services contractor in the growing London commercial market.”
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...london-me-job/

TowerVerre:), lafreak84 liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #8427
NWTS
BANNED

Pollard Thomas Edwards seals Enfield deal

Pollard Thomas Edwards has won a scheme to build nearly 800 new homes at Enfield in north London.

The job is one of the practice’s biggest ever and continues a recent run of success which saw it land a 1,500 home scheme to redevelop three former council estates at Woolwich in south-east London earlier this summer.

Its latest triumph saw it pip AHMM and Maccreanor Lavington for the work next to Ponders End railway station.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/polla...063003.article

lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #8428
NWTS
BANNED

6 Bevis Marks | The City EC3

Construction update of the 52m, 16 storey building by chest

lafreak84 liked this post
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #8429
NWTS
BANNED

Tate Modern Extension | Bankside SE1

Photo taken by potto

lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #8430
NWTS
BANNED

Altitude | The City EC3

Construction update of the 90m, 27 storey building by chest

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #8431
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

New development at Greenwich Reach:

image hosted on flickr

Morning at Greenwich Reach by Bill-Green, on Flickr

Used to be derelict area for years...

Other side of Deptford Creek:

image hosted on flickr

view from new capital quay by n.a., on Flickr

TowerVerre:), Birmingham, 7rani, lafreak84 liked this post
Quicksilver está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #8432
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuesoft View Post
I can't be bothered to look up every architectural style in the UK over the past 2000 years, but off the top of my head here are some of the main ones that are still in existence today...

Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Gothic, Tudor, Elizabethan, Baroque, Jacobean, Edwardian, Georgian, Victorian, Mordernist, Brutalist, High-Tech, Post Modern

If you still think it's bullshit why don't you enlighten us all with some examples of other countries that have gone through as many different architectural styles as the UK has?
Maybe you should be bothered to some research? You are making an absurd statement - you provide the facts! Take a look at your neighbor, France, and how architecture has changed there over the last 2000 years. The list will be equally impressive. But why don't you tell the Chinese, who were building cities when people in Britain (and most of Europe) were living like beasts, that the history of British architecture is the most impressive in the world.

Oh and btw, Roman architecture is Roman, not British. Don't confuse what has been built by a culture that could be described as "British" with what was built by other cultures in what today is Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh
That wasn't a full list - it was off the top of my head.
Apparently not all Brits are familiar with irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh
To be honest I really do not blame Birmingham for actually defending his view and belief. People are coming to a London thread and telling someone who is passionate about London that he should not be passionate... look at it like that and you may understand why he and indeed many others are a little annoyed.
I am passionate about London too, I follow these projects quite closely, and many of them are fantastic! Let's keep it that way. No need to bash other cultures or make absurd claims about Britain being the best in the world in this and that. There is no need for that.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #8433
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3987

Bricks - I think I speak for everyone. Go away already!!

I quite like Greenwich Reach, the other side though is
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #8434
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

You certainly do not speak for everyone!

Bricks can be excellent - They can age well and soften as opposed to getting streaked and dirty like cladding. They last longer and they can be used to tie in a development with it's local and London context. Good bricks are not a developer's first choice because they're very good quality and therefore expensive, which is why developers prefer very cheap render, panels and such which almost always age badly and end up looking rubbish.
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #8435
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

enjoy some excellent bricks!! http://www.brick.org.uk/category/pub...rick-bulletin/
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #8436
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
You certainly do not speak for everyone!

Bricks can be excellent...
You're sharp.
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #8437
virtuesoft

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Maybe you should be bothered to some research? You are making an absurd statement - you provide the facts! Take a look at your neighbor, France, and how architecture has changed there over the last 2000 years. The list will be equally impressive. But why don't you tell the Chinese, who were building cities when people in Britain (and most of Europe) were living like beasts, that the history of British architecture is the most impressive in the world.

Oh and btw, Roman architecture is Roman, not British. Don't confuse what has been built by a culture that could be described as "British" with what was built by other cultures in what today is Britain.
I don't want to litter this thread with further pointless arguments. This is my final word on the matter. I don't really give a damn whether or not you agree with me.

All I will say is that France is a good example and is most likely the closest to the UK in types of architectural styles. The reason for this is that France also had an empire and it also had rulers with egos keen to stamp their own styles. However it is still a little behind the UK in terms of numbers. If you don't believe me go have a look. There are plenty of places online you can find this out. The next closest I imagine would be Italy. Spain, Germany and Hungary probably have a good range of architectural styles too.

China isn't even close. They remained loyal to classical Chinese architecture for centuries. The same with Japan.

Also, nobody actually said that UK architecture is the most impressive in the world. Here is Birmingham's quote...

"Trends in British architecture have changed so many times over the course of it's history it's types/styles of constructions far out weigh any other nation on earth."

BTW. Roman architecture is Roman. Well done on that. But it was still used in the UK and there are many examples still standing. The point was not about who invented the style, it was about how many different types of styles have been used in the UK over its history.
virtuesoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #8438
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Bricks - I think I speak for everyone. Go away already!!

I quite like Greenwich Reach, the other side though is
It looks slightly sad from the either side as well. Rather bland:

image hosted on flickr

Deptford Creek by D_Alexander, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

deptford creek for Harry 005 by mjohn_mjohn_mjohn, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

deptford creek for Harry 003 by mjohn_mjohn_mjohn, on Flickr

TowerVerre:), lafreak84, Birmingham, potto liked this post
Quicksilver está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #8439
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Okay developments. Quite average. The Window arrangements are cool but apart from that its quite plain. :-/
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8440
Italiano95

Likes (Received): 165

What is planned to be built on the empty spot beside one commercial street and aldgate tower and between them and Altitude in Aldgate?

edit: saw that the the planned building was called aldgate place, any renders?
Italiano95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom