daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #8461
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7169

Canaletto

@chest

Birmingham, lafreak84, TowerVerre:) liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8462
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3986

@ Langur - Can't argue with that. It's preservation of architectural styles. Something London has done with a degree of superiority over the centuries while creating and expanding the architectural genes throughout the conurbation.

If people are going to scream nationalism when others identify these sort of facts and reasonings much better than the arguings against than it looks nothing more than trollish behaviour from foreigners.

When the quality of life indexes come out everyone praises Australian and Canadian cities like they've won gold in the Olympics. If it was a British city you know exactly what the responses would be.

There might be a superiority complex occasionally but this is far outweighed by an inferiority complex associated with so many on this forum against Brits and especially London//Londoners.

Last edited by Birmingham; November 6th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #8463
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60335

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP2 View Post
Any picture of the new Google HQ?
No, the decision to redesign has only just been announced.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #8464
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3986

Caneletto is shooting up.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #8465
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Crown Estate’s ($1.6bn) Revamping Project of Regent Street in London Gets Underway
November 4, 2013

The Crown Estate’s £1 billion ($1.6 billion) regeneration of Regent Street has reached a new milestone as on site work starts at Quadrant 2 South.

The project follows in the footsteps of previous redevelopments that have seen the Regent Street Quadrant in London transformed into a destination for fashion, lifestyle and business. Regent Street is owned by The Crown Estate in partnership with Norges Bank Investment Management.

Previously completed projects to date include the landmark Quadrant 3 scheme, a £400 million ($643 million) mixed-use redevelopment covering 270,000 square feet of space. The successful project includes Al Gore’s Generation Investment Management and Telefonica Digital amongst its office tenants.

The works at Quadrant 2 South will see the Grade II listed properties redeveloped to provide new, modern office space and this way building further up Regent Street’s reputation as a destination for global businesses. The project, a wholesale retrofit of Quadrant House and 7-9 Air Street, is expected to be completed by early 2015.

http://www.cpexecutive.com/regions/i...gets-underway/
Quote:
Singapore developer buys £200m ($320m) Royal Wharf scheme
6 November 2013

Site with planning consent for Glenn Howells and Feilden Clegg Bradley scheme described as ‘blank canvas’

The Royal Wharf development site has been bought by a Singapore developer which has announced plans for “an entirely new district for London”.

The deal was welcomed by London mayor Boris Johnson who heralded it as evidence of appetite among Far Eastern developers to invest in the capital.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/singa...063027.article

Read the thread, you'll see when news has already been posted and avoid regurgitating information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Quadrant 2 South | Regent Street W1

The wholesale retrofit of Quadrant House and 7-9 Air Street has started:

- Property Magazine International: Latest Regent Street regeneration project gets underway

- Building: Crown Estate's £1bn Regent Street regeneration enters new phase

The project is part of a £1 billion ($1.6bn) regeneration of Regent Street. Quadrant House left:

image hosted on flickr

Diamond preparations by st_hart, on Flickr
Quote:
Royal Wharf | Silvertown E16

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1669965

Official website: http://www.royalwharf.com/

London Royal Docks Site Purchased by Singapore Developer
Bloomberg
1 November 2013
Quote:
Oxley Holdings Ltd. (OHL), a Singapore-based property developer, will build 3,400 homes in London after buying the city’s largest mixed-use real estate site since the sale of Battersea Power Station.

The developer bought the 40-acre (16-hectare) Royal Wharf site at the Royal Docks on the banks of the River Thames from Ballymore Properties Holdings Ltd. and will build homes, offices and shops, London-based broker Knight Frank said in an e-mailed statement. The deal is Oxley’s first in the U.K., according to the broker. Terms weren’t disclosed.

“Royal Wharf is an outstanding opportunity and offers a blank canvas to create something very special for London,” Oxley Chief Executive Officer Ching Chiat Kwong said in the statement. “Oxley will create a vibrant district and the opportunity cannot be missed by Londoners.”

More than 250 million pounds ($400 million) has been spent on land for homes in London’s Docklands area this year and an additional 2 billion pounds must be invested to fund the projects, according to Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. Knight Frank was hired to sell the site alongside London-based broker Alan Selby and Partners LLP in April.

lafreak84, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8466
MasterOfHisOwnDomain

Likes (Received): 39

Speaking as someone who values this thread for the updates about the construction projects happening in London, can someone please be the bigger man and just drop this trite debate about whether London/Britain has more architectural style than [insert place]? It's utterly needless and detracting, and it benefits no-one.

... back on topic, I am intrigued about the new plans for the Google HQ; not sure how much more ambitious their designs can be, but no doubt the result should be exciting for London. Looking forward to the renders when they emerge.

Bligh, #Alex, Daviegraham, aarhusforever liked this post
MasterOfHisOwnDomain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #8467
LP2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Read the thread, you'll see when news has already been posted and avoid regurgitating information:
you posted it on 30th october and my source was released (a week after) this morning. so i thought mine was the most up to date news.

Last edited by LP2; November 6th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
LP2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #8468
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
you posted in on 30th october and my source was released this morning.
Because your source was a week late, posting news that had already been released.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #8469
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuesoft View Post
Posting a load of pictures of different buildings from China doesn't really prove anything. Many of them are religious buildings that are built in almost every country in the world. I wouldn't class them as architectural styles used in a specific country. London has dozens of mosques but I didn't list them as an architectural style did I? Some of the other buildings are most likely rare examples. You could do this for any country on earth and make it look like that country has an incredibly diverse range of architectural styles.
Here is the best list of Chinese architectural styles I could find...

Imperial, Chinese Buddhist, Taoist, Garden, Hutong, Pai Fang, Feng Shui
You're just demonstrating further that you have no knowledge on these matters and rely purely on Google to gather dubious information, and then you present here pretending to be an expert.

Do you honestly think that "Imperial" and "Garden" are styles of Chinese architecture? WTF?

And "Hutong" as well!? Hutong just means old street-blocks. It's equivalent to "terraces" or "row-houses". It's not a bloody style of architecture.

And your point about religious building is absurd. China has entire provinces like Xinjiang, thirty times the size of the UK, which have been entirely muslim for about 1000 years. And you think Islamic architecture in China is a moot point!?

The same applies to Christian churches. They are are clearly the most important buildings central to many Chinese towns and cities, just as they are in England. Christianity got to China at roughly the same time as it got to England, and there are more Christians in China than in the UK.

It really does beggar belief that you can be so deeply ignorant about China and yet make such confident pronouncements about Chinese history and architecture.
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #8470
LP2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

If you don't like London or the way Londoners communicate, please don't visit this thread. Stop spamming with irrelevant posts.

Most of us are here because we want to see London projects, but not China, Chinese history or about other cities. OMG!

Zaz965 liked this post
LP2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #8471
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

It's interesting to hear about the NEW new Google HQ haha. I wonder if it will ever be built... xD

Ahh well, I'm sure they have made the right decision.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

aarhusforever liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #8472
OnTheNorthRoad
Hei

Likes (Received): 2587

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Fair post....

If only you hadn't made the predictable mistake of attributing a different kind of exceptionalism to the Brits - namely that they are the only ones who engage in silly dick measuring exercises. It's a characteristic that afflicts every nationality and every forum on SSC.

Enough of this tedious finger pointing by all concerned and please let's get back to the real substance of this thread.
You've misinterpreted me.

I don't attribute the notion of exceptionalism or dick-measuring as something exceptional for Britain. How on earth did you read that? As should be evident by my mentioning of other culture's exceptionalistic notions, as well as the fact that these kinds of complexes or whatever it is, is something very usual.

That doesn't mean that it's all relativistic. In a certain point of time, it might be more of it in one cultural sphere than in another. I would know, since my own country still sees lots of inferiority complexes. Doesn't mean it's exceptional. By some reason, probably just bad luck, there's a bit too much of it in this thread, hence it becomes an ever returning issue.

I've no problem praising London or people saying it's unique or whatever as I would agree with that (in the same way NY and Paris are unique), but some of the statements are clearly exaggerated and ignorant.

That would be all from me. Others are right in that everything that's OT should be ignored, as I've done (just reading..), but unfortunately it still becomes an issue and a debate so often.
OnTheNorthRoad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #8473
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I think you're totally wrong about China preserving cities and objects with the same diligence as the West. Chinese dynasties typically built new capitals and abandoned the old. Former imperial capitals such as Hangzhou, Nanjing, Kaifeng, now have precious little to show for their former glory compared to peers in Europe, Middle East, or India. Beijing is an overwhelmingly modern city, and most of its old hutongs have been destroyed in the last decade or so. This casual destruction of the old has long been a Chinese habit. It's not a mere aberration of the Cultural Revolution. I'm going to quote Ian Buruma, one of my favourite commentators on East Asia...
For a start, I think posting your personal credentials in an argument is very bad practice -- it's actually a type of ad hominem.

I happen to have a two-year MPhil from Oxford in Chinese Studies. So what? You should be concentrating on the intrinsic value what I write, not on me.

Now, as for what you've written about China, I call complete bullshit. I don't think you know very much at all. For as start, you quote Ian Buruma out of context to back up this claim that China's capital has been "constantly" shifting -- apparently taking that as proof "the Chinese" don't have an interest in preserving old buildings. But you completely neglected to answer my point that the Chinese Imperial Household ruled the country from the exact same buildings from c. 1400-1900. Which European monarchy were you thinking of that ruled out of the same buildings for 500 years?

And you mention Chang'an/Xi'an and how it was was a great capital and now a provincial town -- apparently unlike European capitals. Are you being serious here? You're just trying to be argumentative? Because Chang'an was first made a capital in about 200 BC, and it was a burial ground for Chinese kings for centuries before that. Chang'an was on-and-off capital until about 900 AD. To be honest, 1100 years+ isn't a bad run for a capital city.

In 2000 years, China has had about 5 major capitals. For a country constantly torn apart by war, a country the size of a continent, that's an extraordinary feat.

I don't have time to go on, and this stuff is at best of marginal interests to most of this thread's readers, so I'll stop.

Zaz965 liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8474
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 128

Stop using the word "moot", you're using it incorrectly!

If something is moot, it means it's hotly debated.
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #8475
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuesoft View Post
Imperial, Chinese Buddhist, Taoist, Garden, Hutong, Pai Fang, Feng Shui
'His peers were modernists, but he always designed in the Feng Shui style ...'
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8476
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
For a start, I think posting your personal credentials in an argument is very bad practice -- it's actually a type of ad hominem.

I happen to have a two-year MPhil from Oxford in Chinese Studies. So what? You should be concentrating on the intrinsic value what I write, not on me.

Now, as for what you've written about China, I call complete bullshit. I don't think you know very much at all. For as start, you quote Ian Buruma out of context to back up this claim that China's capital has been "constantly" shifting -- apparently taking that as proof "the Chinese" don't have an interest in preserving old buildings. But you completely neglected to answer my point that the Chinese Imperial Household ruled the country from the exact same buildings from c. 1400-1900. Which European monarchy were you thinking of that ruled out of the same buildings for 500 years?

And you mention Chang'an/Xi'an and how it was was a great capital and now a provincial town -- apparently unlike European capitals. Are you being serious here? You're just trying to be argumentative? Because Chang'an was first made a capital in about 200 BC, and it was a burial ground for Chinese kings for centuries before that. Chang'an was on-and-off capital until about 900 AD. To be honest, 1100 years+ isn't a bad run for a capital city.

In 2000 years, China has had about 5 major capitals. For a country constantly torn apart by war, a country the size of a continent, that's an extraordinary feat.

I don't have time to go on, and this stuff is at best of marginal interests to most of this thread's readers, so I'll stop.
I made no ad hominen attack on you, merely defended myself from your accusation of making up "absolute bullshit... on the spot".

It's a bit rich to shoot me down for (defensively) citing my credentials just before posting your own!

I'm not quoting Buruma out of context, and anyway his points stand perfectly well on their own.

Travel around China, and it's bloody obvious that China's old cities are far less preserved than those in Europe, Middle East, or India.

It's a minor point, but the Vatican, Kremlin, Topkapi Palace, or even Windsor have been seats of power / monarchies for centuries. The Forbidden City is also an exception. Beijing is not a well preserved historic city.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Quicksilver liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #8477
JimB

Likes (Received): 4801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
You're just demonstrating further that you have no knowledge on these matters and rely purely on Google to gather dubious information, and then you present here pretending to be an expert.

Do you honestly think that "Imperial" and "Garden" are styles of Chinese architecture? WTF?

And "Hutong" as well!? Hutong just means old street-blocks. It's equivalent to "terraces" or "row-houses". It's not a bloody style of architecture.

And your point about religious building is absurd. China has entire provinces like Xinjiang, thirty times the size of the UK, which have been entirely muslim for about 1000 years. And you think Islamic architecture in China is a moot point!?

The same applies to Christian churches. They are are clearly the most important buildings central to many Chinese towns and cities, just as they are in England. Christianity got to China at roughly the same time as it got to England, and there are more Christians in China than in the UK.

It really does beggar belief that you can be so deeply ignorant about China and yet make such confident pronouncements about Chinese history and architecture.
What, exactly, is it that you don't understand about keeping this thread on topic?

Enough of this tedious willy waving, please.

London projects.........

Marcos Gutierrez, #Alex liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8478
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
It's interesting to hear about the NEW new Google HQ haha. I wonder if it will ever be built... xD

Ahh well, I'm sure they have made the right decision.
I look forward to their new design. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with considering the site constraints.

RobH, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #8479
SE9
South East Nine

City of London office construction hits five year high
Building
6 November 2013
Quote:
Deloitte London Office Crane Survey points to upcoming space shortages

Office construction in the City of London has reached a five-year high, according to the latest Deloitte Real Estate London Office Crane Survey.

Over five million sq ft of offices are being developed across 23 schemes in the Square Mile, including major schemes 5 Broadgate, the Walkie Talkie, Bloomberg Place and the Cheesegrater.

The central London office development market as a whole – including the West End, Soutbank, Midtown, King’s Cross, Docklands and Paddington – remained at a four year high with 9.7 million sq ft across 71 schemes now under construction.

Next year a decade-high 6.6 million sq ft of office developments will be completed in central London.

Despite the growth in supply next year, Anthony Duggan, head of research at Deloitte Real Estate, said he did not expect a significant oversupply.

He said: “There are strong indications that tenants will commit to this space during construction and so the amount being delivered into the market and available to lease will continue to reduce.”

Around a third of next year’s office developments are already leased to tenants prior to completion, demonstrating increasing occupier confidence, Deloitte said.

Available space in the City is now at a five-year low having fallen from four million sq ft to just 1.4 million.

Demand for grade A space is expected to hit its highest level for three years in 2013 and Deloitte predicts there will be a shortage of grade A space the next 18-24 months, further driving rental growth in the City market.

Total construction activity fell 36% in the West End, with 1.5 million sq ft on site, while the focus shifted from areas like Oxford Street and Victoria to Mayfair and St James.

In Midtown, a term describing the area between the City of London and the West End, there was a 47% rise in construction and 1.1 million sq ft now underway.

Duggan adds: “This latest report reflects the improving confidence being seen from both office occupiers and developers. Leasing activity of new space has increased and construction remains active with 28 new schemes on site this survey.

“We are now seeing rents move forward again following a pause over the last couple of years and this prospect, along with continued appetite from investors for prime stock and the improving economic outlook, will encourage further development starts over the next six to 12 months.”
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #8480
SE9
South East Nine

Canada Water Sites C & E | Canada Water SE16

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=487069

Official website: http://www.canadawater-southwark.co.uk/

The latest proposals for Canada Water by Chipperfield and Maccreanor Lavington architects have been approved:

- Bloomberg: Shard Developer’s Affiliate Wins 1,030 London Homes Approval

- Architects Journal: Chipperfield and Maccreanor Lavington win planning for Canada Water homes scheme

Project facts
  • Site area: 7.5 acres
  • Height of tower: 150m
  • Homes: 1,030
  • Amenities: new cinema, town square and health centre

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom