daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #9521
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
These projects are a catch up. When everything that's planned right now is finished, London will be level with other, similarly important cities. It's what happens after that which will be most interesting.

I guess getting bombed to bits in the war sets a city back sixty years in infrastructure and skyscraper development. London should have been at this stage decades ago. And if there's one upswing out of this whole economic downturn its that London seems to have finally pulled its socks up.

The investment in regeneration alone is staggering. Utterly staggering. More money put into once city than into most countries. And that's just on regeneration projects.

Imagine what people are going to want to build once London has an equal level of infrastructure, transport and living space?
To a certain degree yes - London and the UK as a whole was hit badly by the WWII.

However, London has been the global financial centre for decades... even before the war. Before international Finance came into it's own. You make it sound as if London is a 3rd World City haha - I'm sure you do not think this as London as been a global revolutionary City setting standards for then whole world when it comes things like Transport, Design, Organization etc etc. I appreciate that there are a lot of problems - but it is a City with a metropolitan population of 12million+.

...Just thought I needed to add that haha.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #9522
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSena11 View Post
I couldn't agree more! Of all mainline stations in London, Euston is the one in greater need of an upgrade.

The place is dark, miserable - almost a trip back to the 80s.
Didn't think it was that bad??
But then again, I've spent some time in some real hell-holes.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #9523
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59958

One Angel Court | City of London EC2

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1373611

Official website: http://www.oneangelcourtoffices.co.uk/

Tower crane now being installed at One Angel Court:

image hosted on flickr

_DSC3236 by NRM the 2nd, on Flickr

_DSC3245 by NRM the 2nd, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_DSC3241 by NRM the 2nd, on Flickr
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #9524
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

When you have to use Euston station daily to get to work… it is that bad!

Even the nice new food court outside does little to pick up the spirits...

Zaz965 liked this post
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #9525
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Yes but I disagree with Bricks about WWII not having an impact on London's global standing. I think it had a huge impact. London went from being capital of the largest empire in history, the world's largest port, largest financial centre, etc, to being a tired, shabby, and decayed city, completely shorn of its role in the world. For much of the post war decades it was nowhere near equal to New York in business and in some aspects of culture. Then the Big Bang deregulation of 1986 took place, and London gradually recovered its status as a global financial hub (including as a centre for emerging market finance), and has built up steadily since, surpassing New York in some areas and equalling it in others. This economic rebirth was accompanied by a renewed cultural vitality and swagger. It's true that skyscrapers are more symbolic than necessary for finance, though I think the large volumes and low costs of office space at Canary Wharf (also mid-rise Broadgate in the City) did help London to see off competition from the likes of Frankfurt.
Yeah... I agree with this comment the most. It's more accurate.

But Bricks does have a point... London needs housing - but unfortunately this is more upto the 32 London Boroughs. London is building housing at a very quick pace, its just not matching the pace of which the population is rising.

Soon... the government will strip some of the green-belt land around London and affectively expand the City into the home counties - especially Essex where the new "London Gateway" is developing (the expansion is practically already taking place) and with Crossrail developments in Brentwood, and London Southend Airport/Proposed Thames Estuary Airport (which I doubt will ever be dead as a proposal).

Similar situation with Kent also.

However, to a certain degree London does need Skyscrapers. Take for instance 20 Fenchurch; the majority of the building is already pre-let. It's not even finished yet. To keep London at the top of the game that is finance I'm afraid Skyscrapers are going to be needed.

Afterall, Banks and large firms do not want a few offices here and there in old 20th Century City buildings... they want a few floors in a tower all in reach via a click of a button in an elevator/lift.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 26th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #9526
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
One Angel Court | City of London EC2

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1373611

Official website: http://www.oneangelcourtoffices.co.uk/

Tower crane now being installed at One Angel Court:
Hang on... what's happening at One Angel Court?
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 26th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #9527
SE9
South East Nine

Check the London forum thread in the link provided for full details.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #9528
LondonFox
BANNED

Reclad…. which is a shame… I quite like the grittiness of Angel Court. Now we are set for another smooth green glassed bore-athon.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #9529
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Catch up? I would really like to know which other major cities you consider to be ahead of London in terms of global standing? I really can't think of any.

London wasn't bombed to bits during the war, most of the city was left intact. Other current heavyweights such as Tokyo suffered far worse, as did other cities like Shanghai. Not to mention that a) Britain was on the winning side, b) at the time no cities outside Europe and the US posed any real threat to London's standing. In summary, the war did little to shatter the position of London, and indeed the city continued to be a major global hub in the postwar decades.

London never needed skyscrapers, and frankly doesn't need them now either. The deregulation of The City back in the 80s and a global ideological shift made the creation of the likes of Canary Wharf possible. This coincided with changing trends in urban planning and living which resulted in reurbanisation, gentrification and a rising number of inner city residents. In recent years this process has escalated. London is going through some exciting times, however, life for the average Londoner is getting more difficult by the year. Gentrification and a dysfunctional market leads to population displacement, ghettoisation, fewer affordable homes and so on.

Yes, but it is silly to believe everybody benefits from it. Not to mention all the overseas investors who buy up houses and apartments and never live there leaving them empty but unavailable.

People? People want to build affordable housing, not skyscrapers.

The station was built in the 60s.
Was talking about London from a purely architectural standpoint. It has a very distributed skyline, with a lot of old, outdated designs butting right up with modern stuff. It's also not very tall.

You missed my point entirely. I'm not disputing London's position in abstract. I'm talking specifically about the architecture. The reconstruction after the war set a precedent for large-scale, monolithic projects. The likes of which we're spending billions now to renovate/replace. The destruction of buildings didn't halt progress. It opened up a new school of thinking for London construction. A school I believe was detrimental to its architectural development.

Also, everyone knows life is harder for us Londoners. The property market is a blasted hellscape, pressure all around. Division of neighbourhoods etc. But this isn't 'EverydayUrbanLifeCity.com'. This is Skyscraper City. When I talk about London and its skyscrapers, don't mistake that for being unsympathetic to wider social issues. It's just me being on-topic.

Birmingham liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #9530
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

I'm with SomeKindofBug. I understood what he meant and it was pretty obvious what he meant. But then again, i'm not looking for a fight every day like Bricks which means he doesn't rationally break down anyone's comments, just goes off on one without actually thinking it through and putting the discussion into context. Happens, over and over and over again.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #9531
LondonFox
BANNED

Bricks… brick… brick wall.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #9532
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
That's quite an all-star cast working on Battersea. It really raises expectations for the quality of development. Hope they all get along together. Which part is Gehry responsible for?
Gehry and Foster will design phase 3, which consists of residential and retail elements.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #9533
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Yes but I disagree with Bricks about WWII not having an impact on London's global standing. I think it had a huge impact. London went from being capital of the largest empire in history, the world's largest port, largest financial centre, etc, to being a tired, shabby, and decayed city, completely shorn of its role in the world. For much of the post war decades it was nowhere near equal to New York in business and in some aspects of culture.
NYC had overtaken London already before the war, and Britain was going to lose her colonies anyway. Sure, the war did not make things easier but then again most cities suffered immensely and many of them were far less developed and far poorer than London. I was challenging the ridiculous claim that WW2 somehow robbed London of her position and let other cities advance. To say that "London should have been at this stage decades ago" means absolutely nothing.

The problem with this thread (despite SE9 doing a phenomenal job) is that, unlike the UK section, it is filled with ill-informed people who don't understand the socioeconomic, historical and political aspects of architecture and urban planning. If you don't get it, stay out. There is no need for unimaginative personal attacks. Stick to smileys and reaffirming comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug
Was talking about London from a purely architectural standpoint. It has a very distributed skyline, with a lot of old, outdated designs butting right up with modern stuff. It's also not very tall.

You missed my point entirely
Don't flatter yourself. Your "points" were based on nothing, that is the problem. Architecturally London has no catching up to do, skyscraper-wise I guess it has, if one considers such structures vital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug
But this isn't 'EverydayUrbanLifeCity.com'. This is Skyscraper City
So why bring up WW2 in the first place? You can't talk about regeneration, investment and the historical process and then blame me for setting you straight. It is completely logical when discussing architecture and urban planning to bring up history, art, politics and economics.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #9534
SE9
South East Nine

SSC London on twitter:

@SSC_LDN

-

aarhusforever, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #9535
SE9
South East Nine

Canary Wharf Station | Canary Wharf E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=871486

Official website: http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/canary-wharf/

Project facts
  • Cost: £500 million ($800m)
  • Architect: Norman Foster
  • Line: Crossrail
  • Completion: 2018

Construction update. Great to see this taking shape:

onerob, #Alex, Andre_Filipe, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #9536
SE9
South East Nine

Aquatics Centre | Stratford E20

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=649590

Official website: http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co....quatics-centre

Project facts
  • Architect: Zaha Hadid
  • Capacity: 2,500
  • Cost: £251 million ($410m)
  • Host venue of the 2012 Olympics
  • Host venue of the 2016 European Swimming Championships

The Aquatic Centre is complete and has opened to the public. Regular operation will commence on Saturday:

- The Guardian: 'It's like swimming in a spaceship': Aquatics Centre opens to public

- Evening Standard: London Aquatics Centre: Swim in the wake of 2012's Olympic legends — for just £3.50

- Architects Journal: Zaha Hadid's Aquatic Centre opens to the public

Last edited by SE9; February 27th, 2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #9537
SE9
South East Nine

Royal Wharf | Silvertown E16

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1669965

Official website: http://www.royalwharf.com/

Project facts
  • Cost: + £1 billion
  • Area: 40 acres
  • Homes: 3,400

Brian Yee Group have announced their involvement in the project: Brian Yee Group Property Announces Royal Wharf London Real Estate Development

Old February 27th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #9538
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The aquatics centre is gorgeous!

albiman liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #9539
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 384

Love the way the renders give the impression the Royal Docks are in the Mediterranean.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #9540
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Yes, those Silvertown sunsets. I like the couple contemplating the ordinary view as if it were somehow special.

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom