daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #9541
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61478

I don't sense a Mediterranean 'vibe' in those renders.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #9542
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1730

I love the way the boat has motion blur and leaves no wake.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #9543
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

I had forgotten just how incredible the aquatics centre looked…

Gonna go over there and have me a swim in it!

Zaz965 liked this post
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #9544
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1643

^ I've booked my session in the 50m competition pool for the opening day (Saturday). Just £4.50, wow!
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #9545
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
NYC had overtaken London already before the war, and Britain was going to lose her colonies anyway. Sure, the war did not make things easier but then again most cities suffered immensely and many of them were far less developed and far poorer than London. I was challenging the ridiculous claim that WW2 somehow robbed London of her position and let other cities advance. To say that "London should have been at this stage decades ago" means absolutely nothing.
New York was certainly jostling for supremacy with London in the interwar decades, having narrowly surpassed her as a port, and of course it was Wall Street's crash that kicked off the Great Depression rather than London. However it was a far closer to parity than after WWII. The pound continued as the world's leading reserve currency until 1945, and London's political power, investment, and trade were far more global.

It's true that the Empire would not have survived to the present even without WWII, but there's no doubt that its decline was greatly accelerated by the war, along with a catastrophic drain on Britain's national wealth. I'd say that no other power lost more ground than Britain as a result of WWII. Britain emerged utterly broke, with rationing continuing for a further decade, even as the American economy roared ahead with booming consumption. (1950s novels such as Graham Greene's The Quiet American or Nabakov's Lolita contrast an energetic and youthful America with exhausted and decrepit Europe.) I'm not saying London was in a total doldrums from 1945-86. The port didn't fully die until the 1960s. The 1960s also saw an economic recovery and the cultural flowering of "Swinging London". London was long held in higher esteem than New York for serious theatre and was often at the cutting edge of pop/rock/dance music trends.

However if you look at the overall picture, it's obvious how far behind London had fallen. There simply wasn't the money to indulge lavish architecture to compare with Lever House, Seagram Building, Guggenheim, Lincoln Centre, etc. New York far surpassed London or Paris for art sales. American income per capita was more than double Britain's. In all ways New York was a far more glamourous and magnetic place than London, even when her own star faded with crime and crack epidemic in the 70s/80s. London has only regained an across-the-board parity in the last decade.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

stinkysteel, Loathing, virtuesoft liked this post

Last edited by Langur; February 27th, 2014 at 03:41 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #9546
potto

Likes (Received): 9178

The US only could become a true Global Power because of WWII and the fall of the British Empire, some would argue that is why the US joined the war effort.

Plenty of ambitious building plans were cancelled in London let alone in the UK because of the war. The post-war UN had its first general assembly meeting in London but a purpose built building was quickly built in NYC. I would say this was the pivotal moment and evidence of a shift in the global trajectory of the two cities.

With regards to other cities, for example in Japan and Germany these were rebuilt from the ground up and reconstruction and technology transfer were subsidised by the Allies. While the UK spent a large portion of its GDP on the Cold War (a direct result of WWII, you could say that the US, UK and USSR will still continuing WWII while everyone else was rebuilding) other cities were reaping dividends from this concentrated investment. Paris also 'caught up' with London during this time.

With regards to the inter-war years, don't forget the Technological sector was far superior in London than NYC and London had been a global economic, cultural and scientific centre for centuries while NYC was an economic centre for the US. No comparison. By the 1940s London had been connected up with the Empire by air.

Without the cost of WWII and then the US unable to realise its global plans you could argue that parts of the old British Empire might have moved to something like an EU version of the Commonwealth which would have been far more beneficial to London.

Last edited by potto; February 27th, 2014 at 02:08 PM.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #9547
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 907

I agree with much of what you say, but it doesn't change the fact that the original post that I commented on was rubbish. But let's not dwell on the subject any longer.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #9548
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Don't flatter yourself. Your "points" were based on nothing, that is the problem. Architecturally London has no catching up to do, skyscraper-wise I guess it has, if one considers such structures vital.
What website are you on? Do you even think before you post.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #9549
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4143

Bricks reads what he want's to read which is normally why he has so many confrontations. It's best to ignore him.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #9550
FMIII

Likes (Received): 37

This thread is truly amazing. Especially when compared with other European cities. In the Western world, there is only one city which has as many planned projects or buildings under construction and it is NYC. But in NYC, those projects are mainly private developments while in London, it seems that public infrastructure are also on the way of being vastly improved (correct me if I am wrong)

It is also very interesting from a sociological point of view. Why does London move forward at that tremendous pace while a city like Paris (its main European competitor) is trailing so far behind?

It would be pompous to say that I have the answer. But what I know is that even if Paris were as attractive as London we wouldn't witness a change at that scale. The population density of Paris is twice as that of London (even if you take into account the suburb to calculate it) so to add more density to the French region would be unsustainable. But that is only one part of the equation.

I don't want to make a digression, so I will to sumarize my "humble" analysis. I believe that the combination of factors which makes us witness this spectacular metamorphosis of London is not repeatable and won't be repeatable in any European cities in the foreseeable future: With the rise of China and India English is now the undisputable first language for business, London is a multi-cultural and open minded city, it is also the cradle of capitalism etc...
But if this tremendous redevelopment is under way it is also because it is possible (geographically speaking): a relatively low density of population, less landmarked buildings than in its European counterparts, some big unused industrial areas close to its inner core etc...

Besides, in reference to some statements made by other forumers, if London could have undertaken a huge redevelopment of its landscape 20 or 30 years ago, it would never have reached that scale and that quality because at that time, some sociological, economic and technical factors had not reached yet the perfect combination witnessed today. For instance, if built in the eighties, the Shard would have been probably less tall and much less futuristic.

In short, London is very lucky to be a little late to hook itself to the modernity train. And thanks to that and the other factors mentioned above, it seems that sky is the only limit to its qualitative growth (unlike its European counterparts).

By the way, thank you SE9 for all those nice updates about what is going on (although it is hard to follow for there are so many)

JimB, Union Man liked this post
FMIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #9551
MasterOfHisOwnDomain

Likes (Received): 39

London Tops European Commercial Investment, Records Highest Total Ever
Quote:
London ranks highest in the top 10 cities for 2013 commercial real estate investment in Europe, recording the highest ever yearly total for a European city.

The city of London captured 23 percent of the European market, recording €32.2 billion ($44.2 billion) worth of transactions in 2013, increasing 43 percent from the prior year. This marks the second consecutive year of strong investment activity growth after increasing 45 percent from 2011 to 2012.

Investment in London increased every quarter in 2013, with the fourth quarter up 73 percent from the previous quarter.

[Source: http://www.worldpropertychannel.com/...s-uk-8052.php]
MasterOfHisOwnDomain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #9552
LondonFox
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
It is also very interesting from a sociological point of view. Why does London move forward at that tremendous pace while a city like Paris (its main European competitor) is trailing so far behind?

Historically London was up until 1930's… the centre of the largest Empire in human history. An empire built on trade, capitalism and the English language.

The end of Empire left a new landscape in the world. A huge Anglosphere that was created embracing the British way of doing business and talking about business.

London has always had an open policy for innovation and advancement.. a place where anyone can try their luck to make it and be successful.

The champion hub of capitalism, trade, immigration, competition and creativity.

It sits on the prime meridian of the world, enabling it to do business with the East in the morning, Europe all day and the Americas in the evening.

It has a long and successful history of relaxed business and financial tax laws and is a very highly rated transparent place with which to conduct said business. It has always been highly rated as a place that offers 'ease of doing business'.

The UK has for a long time been a very global, outward looking country. Unlike other European nations like Germany for example that only really ever focussed on Europe.

Unlike France, which can have a very protectionist attitude towards foreign businesses and competition. The UK has embraced globalisation for a long time.

The English language, is the global language of business. London has the highest concentration of world leading universities of any city in Europe, British education is highly regarded and sought after.. many London based institutions are the best in their respective fields.

British soft power influence (second only to the US)… i.e its ability to attract investment and immigration is incredibly strong after centuries of nurturing world beating minds.

Honestly, there are many reasons…. even luck could have played a large part… many old British colonies just so happen to be the wealthiest nations on the planet now.. compared to Spain… you get my picture.

FMIII, Loathing, virtuesoft, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #9553
FMIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
Historically London was up until 1930's… the centre of the largest Empire in human history. An empire built on trade, capitalism and the English language.
The end of Empire left a new landscape in the world. A huge Anglosphere that was created embracing the British way of doing business and talking about business.
-London has always had an open policy for innovation and advancement.. a place where anyone can try their luck to make it and be successful.
-The champion hub of capitalism, trade, immigration, competition and creativity.
-It sits on the prime meridian of the world, enabling it to do business with the East in the morning, Europe all day and the Americas in the evening.
-It has a long and successful history of relaxed business and financial tax laws and is a very highly rated transparent place with which to conduct said business. It has always been highly rated as a place that offers 'ease of doing business'.
-The UK has for a long time been a very global, outward looking country. Unlike other European nations like Germany for example that only really ever focussed on Europe.
-Unlike France, which can have a very protectionist attitude towards foreign businesses and competition. The UK has embraced globalisation for a long time.
-The English language, is the global language of business. London has the highest concentration of world leading universities of any city in Europe, ---- -British education is highly regarded and sought after.. many London based institutions are the best in their respective fields.
-British soft power influence (second only to the US)… i.e its ability to attract investment and immigration is incredibly strong after centuries of nurturing world beating minds.

Honestly, there are many reasons…. even luck could have played a large part… many old British colonies just so happen to be the wealthiest nations on the planet now.. compared to Spain… you get my picture.
I stongly agree with all those factors and I mentioned some of them in my comment. Besides, like Spain, our former colonies are quite poor.

But don't you think that it is also fantastic that, above all, London has all prerequisite conditions to allow this fantastic development?

- A relatively low density of population for a city of this size,
- Not too much landmarked buildings to prevent the construction of modern buildings
- Some big unused industrial sites close to its inner core to redevelop (see 9Elms for instance)

Yes, there is a sense of "luck" in the redevelopment of London. Because it would have been much more difficult if the City had been already overcrowded and overbuilt with house buildings.

That's the reason why I believe that the renaissance of London is really a unique case. No other cities in Europe have seen such a combination of favourable factors (economic and geographical) And I believe that in the future, it will be regarded as a very specific time in the history books.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #9554
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 907

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
What website are you on? Do you even think before you post.
Do you even read people's posts? Do you even think at all? This is not an admiration site for skyscrapers, it's a discussion forum. If you had any education whatsoever you'd know that discussion means critical assessment from all angles.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #9555
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Britain's extremely liberal economy, property laws, tax laws, tax havens, immigration regulations, and general openness towards the world, are possibly the most important factors in London's recent phoenix-like rebirth.

Britain hoovers up money and people from all across the world like no other country, and almost all of this money and talent goes through or ends up in London.

Langur, Zaz965 liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #9556
FMIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
Britain's extremely liberal economy, property laws, tax laws, tax havens, immigration regulations, and general openness towards the world, are possibly the most important factors in London's recent phoenix-like rebirth.

Britain hoovers up money and people from all across the world like no other country, and almost all of this money and talent goes through or ends up in London.
I strongly agree. Britain's openness to the world and London financial power are the driving force of this tremendous rebirth.

But, again, what I find the most astonishing is that, regardless of economic factors, the London urban area in itself meet all the prerequisite conditions for such a rebirth to occur at such a large scale. This combination of independant factors is, in a way, almost a miracle.
Old February 28th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #9557
LondonFox
BANNED

A bit about London's population.

Quote:
London had an official population of 8,308,369 in 2012, making it the most populous municipality in the European Union, and accounting for 12.5% of the UK population. The Greater London Urban Area is the second-largest in the EU with a population of 9,787,426 according to the 2011 census. The London metropolitan area is the largest in the EU with a total population of 13,614,409, while the Greater London Authority puts the population of London metropolitan region at 21 million.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #9558
SE9
South East Nine

Lexicon | Islington EC1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449694

Official website: http://www.lexiconlondon.co.uk/

Construction update by forumer chest:

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #9559
SE9
South East Nine

Montcalm Signature Tower | Islington EC1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=445920

Official website: http://www.themontcalm.com/

Cladding installation has resumed on the tower. Photos by chest:

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #9560
SE9
South East Nine

London F1 Grand Prix Circuit | City of Westminster

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1525115

The prospect of an F1 circuit has moved a step closer today. There will be a 6 week consultation on the proposals, which have broad political support:

- The Guardian: London F1 race may get green light as government announces consultation

- ESPN: Hopes grow for London Grand Prix

- ITV: Dream of London F1 Grand Prix gathers speed

Virtual lap:

Talk-through:

Map:

Ulpia-Serdica, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom