daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #961
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Possible redevelopment of Guy's Hospital!

Estates Gazette -

Guys and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust are examining ways of raising funds to pay for future new facilities for the hospital.

Options being considered include transforming the landmark eyesore tower into luxury flats.

A more likely scenario would see the hospital quit the site entirely for a new hospital campus in a cheaper location allowing for a full redevelopment of the London Bridge site.

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #962
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I REALLY hope they just knock it down. I personally can't understand why anyone would want to keep it. It does not look good. It would not look good if it was cleaned. Hell it would not look good if it was given entirely new cladding. From what I have seen of it, it is a very ugly and depressing building. If it was a half or quarter of the height, then I doubt the people who want to keep it (and there are some, just look at the UK forum) would want to keep it. Let it die.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #963
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

Yepp! It sure does need redevelopment!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:35 AM   #964
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

Guy's is one of my favourite buildings in london. It has that modern-medieval character that I love so much in our brutalist buildings. We have already lost the great barbican of the stock-exchange tower, next we are probably going to lose Milton Court, and potentialy now this too?? Just because at the moment the 'aesthetic' is not appreciated??? typical london short-sightedness; as bad as when we knocked down the masterpiece that was Soane's Bank of England, Nash's Regent Street, and endless swathes of irreplaceable Victoriana. Pisses me off no end. See beyond what is now 'accepted' and 'fashionable', please!!!!
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:09 AM   #965
rocky

Likes (Received): 5

i like the Gotham city feel of this building.
rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:58 AM   #966
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukey View Post
Guy's is one of my favourite buildings in london. It has that modern-medieval character that I love so much in our brutalist buildings. We have already lost the great barbican of the stock-exchange tower, next we are probably going to lose Milton Court, and potentialy now this too?? Just because at the moment the 'aesthetic' is not appreciated??? typical london short-sightedness; as bad as when we knocked down the masterpiece that was Soane's Bank of England, Nash's Regent Street, and endless swathes of irreplaceable Victoriana. Pisses me off no end. See beyond what is now 'accepted' and 'fashionable', please!!!!
Guy's tower, while it may appeal to you would make the majority of us turn the other way without looking back. One of the most rank hideous monstrosities in the world, with perhaps one of the most beautiful complimentary pieces of architecture to be built next to it that will not only tower over it in terms of height but also design.
Myster E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM   #967
Newcastle Guy

New 134m twin towers for London. They were scaled down from 160m and 136m due to proximity to Buckingham Palace and The Palace of Westminister (I think)

The bases of the towers:

One of the towers, the base of the other tower is to the left of the picture:

I think (though I'm not sure) that they are the first identical twin skyscrapers for London

Last edited by Newcastle Guy; August 21st, 2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:50 PM   #968
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

It may have been reduced in height to 134 metres but that's still tall though, especially due to its approximity to Buckingham Palace. That's only 3-4 metres shy of our tallest building currently under construction
Myster E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM   #969
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
New 134m twin towers for London. They were scaled down from 160m and 136m due to proximity to Buckingham Palace and The Palace of Westminister (I think)

The bases of the towers:

Nice towers. However, I don't think that tall buildings are appropriate for the area. I'm a NY'er who likewise opposed Foster's magnificent structure for upper Madison Ave. It was a great building but not appropriate for the area.
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM   #970
Newcastle Guy

From what I have heard the area is bad and run down. And if the towers aren't built, then we can say goodbye to redeveloping the station, as they are what will raise the funds for it.

I think that's right anway.
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM   #971
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

But this doesn't mean we have to accept poor towers. Its a developers way of blackmailing a local council or government. Councils should demand higher standards.
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM   #972
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
From what I have heard the area is bad and run down. And if the towers aren't built, then we can say goodbye to redeveloping the station, as they are what will raise the funds for it.

I think that's right anway.
I lived in London and can confirm that the area is not bad at all. To the extent that there are 60's office blocks, they can be redeveloped with magnificent, low-rise limestone structures. High rises should be limited to the City, the South Bank and Canary Wharf and should not encroach upon the West End.
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:25 PM   #973
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6362

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoydGeorge View Post
To the extent that there are 60's office blocks, they can be redeveloped with magnificent, low-rise limestone structures.
How do you get the same amount of office space from a 1960s block into a low rise structure without it swamping out over the pedestrian areas?

Quote:
High rises should be limited to the City, the South Bank and Canary Wharf and should not encroach upon the West End.
Well that would be lovely, except there are offices in the West end and companies are looking for large open plan modern light filled Grade-A space offices. Also the number of apartments needed to be sold to pay for the upgrade of Victoria station means the only way to fit that many into the scheme is to build upwards, unless you propose a massive stonking groundscraper that actively takes away from the pedestrianised open space areas of the scheme.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM   #974
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
How do you get the same amount of office space from a 1960s block into a low rise structure without it swamping out over the pedestrian areas?

Well that would be lovely, except there are offices in the West end and companies are looking for large open plan modern light filled Grade-A space offices. Also the number of apartments needed to be sold to pay for the upgrade of Victoria station means the only way to fit that many into the scheme is to build upwards, unless you propose a massive stonking groundscraper that actively takes away from the pedestrianised open space areas of the scheme.

They don't have to be high rise towers though. As I said, if someone wanted to build a 30 story tower on Madison and 72nd or in Greenwich Village, I would be opposed. The West End should also be off limits.
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM   #975
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6362

Quote:
They don't have to be high rise towers though.
Then how do you get the same amount of office space into a building that doesn't go upwards? The only answer is to build outwards and create groundscrapers, which kill off all possible open space and pedestrian activity in the area.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM   #976
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Then how do you get the same amount of office space into a building that doesn't go upwards? The only answer is to build outwards and create groundscrapers, which kill off all possible open space and pedestrian activity in the area.
Why can't they simply limit high rises to other areas. There are scores of locations to build. Who wants to see a sea of 30+story buildings looming over Buckingham Palace.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:29 AM   #977
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Why can't they simply limit high rises to other areas. There are scores of locations to build. Who wants to see a sea of 30+story buildings looming over Buckingham Palace.
Because some companies WANT the West End.
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #978
chest

Likes (Received): 13302

check out the cranes of a city going through an unpresedented construction boom...

Last edited by chest; August 25th, 2007 at 09:28 PM.
chest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #979
rugbytommy

Likes (Received): 1

that's pretty phenomenal...
rugbytommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #980
L8Hatter

Likes (Received): 9

Fantastic pic
L8Hatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags