daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #9841
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Concerning the sightlines, yes. Regarding its immediate built environment, no. I'm not saying the "Scalpel"/52 Lime Street is bad architecture (imho it's just uninteresting/bland), but it's disrespecting its direct surroundings.
I think the Scalpel is very good architecture. It replaces a totally forgettable 1950s building, and it doesn't disrespect its surroundings at all. Believe me, that square didn't look better 20 years ago. The Scalpel will rise immediately adjacent to 2x Norman Foster (Gherkin and Willis) and 2x Richard Rogers buildings (Lloyds and 122 Leadenhall) that crowd around that exact same square.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Virtually any city on Earth older than a hundred years seems to claim to be "the city of contrasts" - heck, even Dubai does. Of course London's history stretches further back, but frankly, you'll find contrasts between historical/classical and modernist architecture virtually everywhere. International style, hooray... This has a freakshow appeal... I'm especially bothered by disproportionate 20 Fenchurch / Mr. WalkieTalkie.
But there's no architectural mixture as rich as the City anywhere on earth. It's just stimulating like nowhere else.

However I agree about 20 Fenchurch Street. It works from some angles, but it too often looks fat. However the Scalpel will mitigate its impact, integrating it with the rest.

I would share your concerns if skyscrapers were being unrolled randomly across historic areas of London, but they're not. They always replace ugly post-WWII buildings, and they're confined to about one tenth of central London by area. It's extremely rare for attractive old buildings to be destroyed in central London these days. I don't say it never happens, but I can count the instances on the fingers of one hand.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Ivanator liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #9842
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59594

That's good to hear and I hope London remains aware of what actually makes it a unique place. Don't tear down valuable buildings for some random oh-so-fashionable skyscrapers. Respect the surroundings, built and natural environment. Integrate it into the cityscape and make it add something to streetlife (with affordable restaurants/bars/clubs, stores, apartments, amenities etc.). Make it add visual and structural value for the city, especially if you go tall.

Undoubtedly, you can intend to give London some sort of Eiffel-Tower-like dominating supertall landmark. But be damn sure it's absolutely perfect, timeless and iconic. I don't think that e.g. the Shard is anywhere close to that, it could be virtually anywhere in the world. It doesn't say "London" in any way. Spectacular still, but screaming "globalized randomitecture" all over. Imagine if it'd have been some sort of 21st century Victoria Tower. Now that'd have blown minds for sure.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...oria_Tower.JPG

Ah well, they planned this for Westminster once, the Imperial Monumental Tower (Pollard Seddon):

Source: http://www.essential-architecture.co...eddon%2072.jpg

Btw, the Olympic Park looks pretty inviting.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; April 5th, 2014 at 11:37 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #9843
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1643

I love the Shard. It's the best skyscraper by Renzo Piano, who is one of the best architects alive today. The glass is designed to capture the light, and it looks white and ethereal when other glass buildings look dark. It's also a very light presence on the skyline.

We live in a global civilization now, so local styles have disappeared. So I don't expect buildings that are stylistically unique or "British", but rather for the best architecture of our times. London has a lot of excellent new buildings by the likes of Piano, Foster, Rogers, Hadid, Koolhaas, Nouvel, Herzog & de Meuron, etc. We're lucky to get so many, and this is an exciting period for architecture and cities in general. Of course not all the new buildings are of that quality, but in general the buildings in central London are far better than those in less sensitive locations.

It's also important to note that the vast majority of new projects that you see on this thread are built on brownfield sites. London has vast swathes of semi-derelict industrial wasteland, especially to the east of the centre. The Olympic site cleared up one such zone. Nine Elms is also being built on industrial wasteland, as is King's Cross railwaylands, and nearly all of the Docklands projects. The buildings that replace existing cityscape nearly always represent an improvement, tearing down cheaply-built 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s buildings, and replacing them with cityscape of far better quality.

London has never in my lifetime been a uniformly beautiful city. It has sizable swathes that are beautiful, especially to the west, but those districts are well preserved. Thousands of old buildings are cleaned up, restored, and open with trendy new restaurants and shops. Very few are destroyed. The new developments are nearly always filling in "gaps" inbetween, whether individual buildings that no one will miss, or in the aforementionmed decayed industrial zones.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Ivanator, LDN_EUROPE, J349 liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #9844
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
We live in a global civilization now, so local styles have disappeared.
You're sounding like Suburbanist now. Luckily that statement isn't true (check this thread), and hopefully never will be, as we'd lose out so much on diversity then. I'd love to see new regional styles appearing once we get on new planets for example, like Martian mansions. Screw uniform globalized architecture.

Just take a look at the vast and delighting masses of traditional British style projects pulled up within your Traditional Architecture Group. There's many in London, too.

bozenBDJ, 7rani, CNB30, steppenwolf, Hybow and 1 others liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #9845
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61545

Let's leave this discussion for the architecture forum.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #9846
erbse
LIBERTINED

Sure. Some architectural excourse, from time to time, won't hurt the project forums either, the architecture forums are hardly visited by forumers who follow the city threads. Enjoy your vast amount of projects.

steppenwolf, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by erbse; April 7th, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #9847
SE9
South East Nine

More from the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, earlier today:

erbse, JimB, AB85, CB31, Mr Bricks and 3 others liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #9848
erbse
LIBERTINED

Not at all. I'm fine when you tear down some old warehouses, rowhouses or whatever that don't feature historical or aesthetical value and don't make much of an impact. If they're replaced by something better, be it classical or modernist/futurist/deconstructivist/blob/high-tech style. You clearly didn't read my posts very well.

If you replace good architecture (be it pre- or post-war) with bad architecture, I'll always be against it. And yeah, there's universal means to good architecture, that the last 3 generations of architects (after Art Deco/Expressionism) mostly forgot about, sadly. Too many of them obviously never heard about the Golden Ratio for instance.

And I'm not leaving this for another thread as long as people still give me something I need to put straight.

tonttula, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by erbse; April 6th, 2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #9849
erbse
LIBERTINED

(Reply to deleted post)
Just wanted to inspire people to think a little more about what defines architecture, urban scape, the character and livability of our cities. And especially London/ers, as it remains among the top influential hubs of contemporary building culture, I'd never deny that. Hope I was somewhat successful in that attempt.

Check the Ten Principles of Intelligent Urbanism.

Anyway, continue to post project updates, obviously too many people feel bothered by this kind of discussion.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by erbse; April 6th, 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #9850
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7517

The Aquatics Centre is one of the best venues in legacy mode.

Manchester77 liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #9851
PortoNuts

Quote:
Green light for £1bn Westfield London expansion

Revised plans for a £1bn extension of the Westfield London shopping centre have been granted consent by Hammersmith and Fulham Council.

The previously-approved plans were refined last year to separate the residential elements from the retail and leisure facilities and include a new John Lewis department store.

Enabling works are due to start this year with main construction getting underway in 2015 with an expected opening of Christmas 2017.

Residential will be delivered in a number of phases after the retail parts are finished.

Once built, Westfield London will be the biggest shopping centre in Europe linking Shepherd’s Bush Town Centre and Kensington and Chelsea to the White City Opportunity Area.

The development immediately north of the existing centre includes up to:

· 61,840 sq m of retail space in the form of an extension to Westfield London and John Lewis’ first west London four-level department store

· 8,170 sq m of space for restaurants and cafes

· 2,065 sq m of office space

· 3,500 sq m of leisure facilities

· 1,600 sq m of community space

· Up to 1,522 new homes across the site

Duncan Bower, Director of Development at Westfield, said: “The approval of our Westfield London expansion is an important part of our £3.5bn+ development pipeline in the UK and Europe.

“This investment in Westfield London after just five years since opening is a testament to the strength of this centre and its market which attracts the best UK and international retailers and generates current annual sales of close to £1bn from nearly 28m customer visits.”
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...don-expansion/
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #9852
PortoNuts

Battersea Power Station redevelopment

by Bigcat.

Old April 7th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #9853
PortoNuts

One Angel Court redevelopment

by chest.

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #9854
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
It should all be coming down.
Earl's Court: I understand from the last articles that I read that the art deco style entrance would be retained as part of the new redevelopment.

erbse liked this post
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #9855
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

No, its all going.

Zaz965 liked this post
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #9856
Bligh

Likes (Received): 813

Personally I LOVE The Scalpel. It's a gorgeous tower to look at... most of it's neighbors are modern Skyscrapers anyway...?

I also do hope the Earls Court Regen looks as good as it does in the renders.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #9857
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Definitive news on the Pinnacle.

Due to be resumed this summer for 2017 completion. We are set to go then.

Old April 7th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #9858
SE9
South East Nine

Battersea Power Station Redevelopment | Nine Elms SW8

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=650929

Official website: http://www.batterseapowerstation.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Cost: £8 billion ($13bn)
  • Area: 39 acres
  • Homes: 3,400
  • Masterplan architect: Rafael Vinoly
  • Development architects: Frank Gehry, Norman Foster, Wilkinson Eyre

The design for Phase 3 by Frank Gehry and Norman Foster have been revealed this morning:

desertpunk, LondonFox, #Alex, virtuesoft, AB85 and 7 others liked this post
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #9859
Steveb

Likes (Received): 2

Wow, those building lucky a bit funky on the Battersea rebuild.
Steveb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #9860
erbse
LIBERTINED

The Battersea quarter could turn out interesting, trying a little too hard to be edgy perhaps. But at least it's not in the way of a meaningful historical district.

@the Pinnacle, did they make the design more rectangular? Due to cost restraints?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/Pinnacle.jpg

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom