daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #9941
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60334

The Leadenhall Building | City of London EC3

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=415718

Official website: http://www.theleadenhallbuilding.com/

Progress at the Leadenhall Building, which is now near practical completion. Fun fact: the Leadenhall Building follows SSC London on twitter

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by SE9; May 20th, 2014 at 11:28 PM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #9942
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Actually, erbse, the mix of uses has been of foremost importance in all recent regeneration schemes in London in the recent years, and that's in fact a very positive thing, especially in a country that had been so keen on zoning apart, in the past, like the UK.

On the other hand, I myself fear that most of the non-iconic traditional architecture will be considered expendable in the future to make room for larger developments. And losing those quintessentially English brick buildings would be a loss unmatched by any profit.

Last, the argument about the buildings criticized by contemporaries does not hold. We know the Eiffel Tower was supposed to be temporary too. Some people just are against anything. The pictures you posted all represent interesting additions to London's urban fabric. But Guy's Hospital is just a box, and in 40 years has not become any better. Which may also indicate that some buildings don't get more beautiful as they grow old, but rather stay plain ugly.

erbse, streetlegal, stinkysteel, Bligh liked this post

Last edited by Stravinsky; April 11th, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #9943
SE9
South East Nine

Lee Valley VeloPark | Stratford E20

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=704336

Official website: http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/...012/velo-park/

The Lee Valley VeloPark opened to the public in the past week, following its post-Olympic redevelopment:

JimB, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #9944
london lad

Likes (Received): 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Aren't you constantly waving the London-changes-all-the-time-and-that's-what-makes-it-so-great flag? How's this going together at all?
Never listen do you. Londons old stuff you love to post in various guises is not going anywhere, Londons immediate post war crap is being replaced by, in most cases superior modern architecture. Its not a difficult concept to grasp.

No off you go with your classical fantasies, I'm sure other cities would love to see your old snaps of Belgium seaside resorts

bbcwallander liked this post
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #9945
SE9
South East Nine

Custom House Station | Custom House E16

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=871486

Official website: http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/custom-house/

Project facts
  • Lines: Crossrail (Abbey Wood branch) and DLR (Beckton branch)
  • Cost: £35 million

First columns appearing at Custom House:

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #9946
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

I don't need someone who sounds like they've swallowed a text book to tell me what I should like...
Architecture is the grandest form of expression and is entirely open to interpretation.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #9947
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57917

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehenaus View Post
I don't need someone who sounds like they've swallowed a text book to tell me what I should like...
Forward the flowers to modernists who introduced that "concept".
Read some of the funny recent award laureate reasonings, always entertaining.

No one ever needed to explain the beauty of a classical and always modern building like St. Paul's Cathedral or Westminster Palace. They're just admired.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #9948
sub-urbanfox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

I'm still not quite getting the point of this discussion. I think its pretty obvious. Some cities do things their way. London does things it's own way. And it's always done very well for itself. Far better than most if not all others.

Zaz965 liked this post
sub-urbanfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #9949
Pants1254

Likes (Received): 67

Thought I would upload my latest 3d sketch up images of London that I have been working on for a while. As you can see Iv still got ALOT to do especially to the City and the surrounding area but for what are worth I thought I would share the progress I have made with them so far.

I'm still waiting to make a large number of updates to the Canary Wharf area with Heron Quay West, Millharbour Village, Quay House, Meridian Gate, Hertsmere Tower, Thames Quay and Millharbour Quarter. Cant wait to update them. Anyway enjoy.

erbse, SE9, bbcwallander, Ivanator, Franh099 and 17 others liked this post

Last edited by Pants1254; April 11th, 2014 at 12:59 AM.
Pants1254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #9950
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Well done there! Keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-urbanfox View Post
I'm still not quite getting the point of this discussion. I think its pretty obvious. Some cities do things their way. London does things it's own way.
Once and for all: London is not living in a freaking bubble. A globalized world means globalized discussions on architecture and urbanism.
Of course you can attempt to do as you please. But don't expect the rest of the world not to care what happens in one of the most historic metropolises.

I appreciate London and most of its development a lot.
It's about future developments. I intend to participate in a global process that defines urbanism. London is on the forefront here. It just isn't true that I wouldn't be affected sitting somewhere else - London affects us all, just like NYC, Paris and Berlin do. Trends are set, new directions are taken. So I should be bothered, and the rest of the world too!

So I'll be glad to join future conversations and to read good arguments from your side. Cheers.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by erbse; April 11th, 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #9951
JimB

Likes (Received): 4801

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
No one ever needed to explain the beauty of a classical and always modern building like St. Paul's Cathedral or Westminster Palace. They're just admired.
And yet here you are, day after day, clogging up this thread with endless argument as to why classical is better....

I don't even entirely disagree with you (even if, despite your good general knowledge of architecture, your specific knowledge of London appears to be limited) but this thread used to be great, with nothing more than updates on the projects and construction currently ongoing in London (you know......what this thread is supposed to be about). Now, I have to wade through reams of tedious argument and counter argument, repeated ad infinitum, before I get to anything of interest.

Please.....pretty please, with sugar on top.....can you (and all those biting defensively at every perceived provocation) just give it a rest?

Birmingham, sk327, napowen liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #9952
erbse
LIBERTINED

I was taking it to rest already, but obviously some felt the need to continue it eternally.

Anyway, we're at the world's premier architecture and construction forum. So architecture and construction are discussed. That's what this forum is about. And this thread.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #9953
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants1254 View Post

Thought I would upload my latest 3d sketch up images of London that I have been working on for a while. As you can see Iv still got ALOT to do especially to the City and the surrounding area but for what are worth I thought I would share the progress I have made with them so far.

I'm still waiting to make a large number of updates to the Canary Wharf area with Heron Quay West, Millharbour Village, Quay House, Meridian Gate, Hertsmere Tower, Thames Quay and Millharbour Quarter. Cant wait to update them. Anyway enjoy.
Well done!

Good luck modelling Hertsmere

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #9954
Pants1254

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Well done!

Good luck modelling Hertsmere

Thanks SE9 It will be a hard one to do but once it has gone in for planning and the drawings are available should be easier to do, I can wait to add to massing of the Canary Wharf area. Doing this 3d sketch up drawing is also a good way to keep track of all the projects I just cant remember them all now, maybe I should cut down on the
Pants1254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #9955
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:

Im sorry for posting with these images included, but i think this is a great post and the city models deserve to be seen again!

You Sir deserve a reward! A brilliant set of models that shows how dynamic and exciting the London skyline is becoming.

It is incredible that you cant even fit all of these clusters into one view! I personally love the fact that there are multiple clusters throughout the city and these models give a great impression of what can be expected.

There is simply no other city in Europe that even compares to this!

Wow!!!

Absolutely staggering, well done Sir!

PS - any chance of city view looking east (towards the city)? i'm interested to see what the city cluster looks like with new Lime Street and Gothic City towers integrated into skyline?

Pants1254 liked this post
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #9956
TheMoses

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Awesome. I think you've made 30 Marsh Wall too tall though. It's 185m, but it looks over 200m here.
TheMoses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #9957
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6232

City Airport actually has plans to expand.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #9958
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2891

It's an independent think tank calling for it to be closed, which means nothing. The chances of it being closed as a result of this report are zero.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Smarty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9959
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3985

I don't think London City Airport is going to affect to much.

25 years ago London was scraping the barrel to get anything over 100m.

10 years ago London was coming round to taller buildings

5 years ago London saw the beggining of its first supertall.

+ 10 years London will have hundreds of skyscrapers.

+ 20 years London will have multiple supertalls.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #9960
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

What are the chances of City and Heathrow airports being closed and the Estuary project being approved?

This latter makes much sense to me and, besides T5, I hate Heathrow. (City is a comfortable choice but I feel no affection towards it)
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom