daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #10201
london lad

Likes (Received): 2259

Erbse- Your posting the same full circle debating posts across several threads again. You have your classical V Modernist thread in the UK which you are fond of so dearly so please why not leave it in there rather than simply rehashing what you have already said countless times ( which pretty much constitutes trolling which is not allowed on this forum) and leave this thread for is main pursue of construction and new updates on London buildings.

.Adam, alexandru.mircea, sk327 liked this post
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #10202
potto

Likes (Received): 9112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
I swear we have come to an absolute full circle of conversation regarding this. London will not become another Sao Paolo or Schenzen due to many laws and processes. The City of London and other London Boroughs only build towers in appropriate places.

Also; most Londoners are pro-Skyscaper: http://offices.org.uk/news/londoners...-04142734.html

In the future the majority of skyscraper/high-rise development will be focused in Canary Wharf and the docklands which replaced.. well un-used docks (thus the name) that were run down, and not used. London has made the correct decision in building up.

Aslong as the London population is happy... everyone is happy. Besides, when the majority of Londoners are anti-something; trust me.. we all hear about it. Skyscrapers are not one of these problems.
maybe we should have that as some sort of disclaimer as a sticky on every London thread.

sk327 liked this post
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #10203
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Hello all, I have a little question, can you help? I was curious what is the surface of Central London. The Wiki page for Central London doesn't have a clear definition of Central London nor a map with clear boundaries. However I found this as the area of the congestion charge, and I suspect it probably is close enough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lo...harge_zone.png

I tried to draw that onto Google Maps to see if it gives me the surface size, but apparently that's only available if you pay to upgrade to their pro map maker.

Thanks in advance!

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #10204
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57990

OT:
London lad: This round wasn't started by me, but an obvious provocation here.

And anyway, if one's trolling here it's you, with your post adding nothing to the discussion on London projects. But only hinting at personal issues you have and the fact that you don't agree with having a discussion on the quality of the projects. Which is ridiculous at a thread about London projects. You may realise that yourself.

I've been moderating this construction forum for years btw, so I'm perfectly aware what suits this place and what not.
Many real professionals do refrain from SSC because there's hardly any serious discussion going on. But rather the same plain fanboy-oneliners all over. I'm not going to please anyone here, but keep on hitting the nerve, like it or not.

And, again: When people continue to repeat the same old arguments I'll repeat the same new counter-arguments.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #10205
london lad

Likes (Received): 2259

Well why didn't you say that in the first place. Many real professionals will be coming back in droves to hear you debate on putting up modern buildings in a neo-classical skin ( with the obligatorily pictures of your fav classical buildings and links to your fav classical architects) whilst we wait for the utopia fantasy land of Star Wars meets Qunilan Terry which you seem to advocate.

Until then the only nerve your hitting is the large one marked annoyance. Says a lot about the forum when a mod seem to troll it at will and back up their facile theories with fake posters. Very sad indeed.

alexandru.mircea, Bligh liked this post
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #10206
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Why does it have to be either or? People seem to think that either London is falling apart and turning into Sao Paulo, or it is the master of mixing old and new and everything is wonderful. There are some truths to both of these statements.
It's not falling apart and it's not becoming São Paulo, but it's losing character in the name of consumerism.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #10207
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
It's not falling apart and it's not becoming São Paulo, but it's losing character in the name of consumerism.
I swear we have come to an absolute full circle of conversation regarding this. London will not become another Sao Paolo or Schenzen due to many laws and processes. The City of London and other London Boroughs only build towers in appropriate places.

Also; most Londoners are pro-Skyscaper: http://offices.org.uk/news/londoners...-04142734.html

In the future the majority of skyscraper/high-rise development will be focused in Canary Wharf and the docklands which replaced.. well un-used docks (thus the name) that were run down, and not used. London has made the correct decision in building up.

Aslong as the London population is happy... everyone is happy. Besides, when the majority of Londoners are anti-something; trust me.. we all hear about it. Skyscrapers are not one of these problems.

--------------------------------

I just did this reply to the above Gentleman. I feel like it answers your statement as well.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #10208
erbse
LIBERTINED

For the sake of regular users enjoying mere updates here:

Let's continue at "Classical" Architecture vs Modern Architecture - The Debate.
Everyone's invited to the eternal battl err coffee party. Hot dogs for free today.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #10209
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60725

That'll be the last of that petty discussion here. There's enough projects and construction ongoing in London for this thread not to be led astray by this circular asinine argument. Further attempts to derail the thread aren't advised.

In case there's any doubt:
  • World Development News forums for World Development News, in this case news about London's projects and construction updates.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #10210
erbse
LIBERTINED

For what I can see you're not moderating this forum SE9 and we're perfectly fine discussing architectural matters of single projects here from time to time, that was always done. But thanks for pointing towards the subforums, sure many people missed them.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #10211
SE9
South East Nine

I wish you paid as much attention to the thread/forum subject as you do to the moderator list.

Unfortunately not, so I hope you find the forum links helpful. About time this thread returned from the dregs.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #10212
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
For what I can see you're not moderating this forum SE9 and we're perfectly fine discussing architectural matters of single projects here from time to time, that was always done. But thanks for pointing towards the subforums, sure many people missed them.
Okay erbse.. calm down now. SE9 is the best thing that has happened to this thread. He does not moderate it, but we all recognize what he does for this thread and indeed the London SkyscraperCity community. He holds a lot of influence and does nothing but help this thread. We are extremely fortunate to have such a person active on our thread.

I cannot help but think.. what positivity have you actually brought to this thread? Not much... nor have you contributed to any news or discussion. In fact all you do is aggravate people.

With all due respect; who are you to dictate what we should think of our City? I appreciate that it's in your best interests... but not many people are agreeing with you.

It's time for you to step down and only comment if it's positive thinking and not telling people what they can/cannot like for the future of their own City.

....nothing personal and sorry for the long comment guys.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

streetscapeer, Langur liked this post

Last edited by Bligh; April 29th, 2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo.
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #10213
SE9
South East Nine

The Garden Bridge | Temple-South Bank

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1544376

Official website: http://www.gardenbridgetrust.org/

Project facts
  • Cost: £150m
  • Architect: Thomas Heatherwick
  • Engineers and design consultants: Arup
  • Completion: latest 2018

The Garden Bridge Trust are seeking funds from Hong Kong investors to finance construction of the bridge:

- South China Morning Bridge: London Garden Bridge builders seek Hong Kong cash

Results of a recent public consultation show that 87% of respondents are in favour of the bridge:

- House and Garden: Garden Bridge support soars

Old April 29th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #10214
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ What an amazing idea. Would love to see this brought into being. Babylon all the way.

Bligh: You could have PMed that just as well. I appreciate SE9's work and he's received my gratitude for it. But it's not like we "owe" something to contributing users. I'm myself contributing a lot to various threads across SSC and have done my duty moderating for years, yet I don't expect anyone to be grateful.

I'm not telling anyone what to think of his city. I'm telling what I and various urbanists/theorists think suits a city. Naturally, people will agree or disagree, at best they'll contemplate and rethink some of their ideas. If someone's encouraged in his view, that was worth it as well.
We all need to stand up more for our points and not get browbeaten by people acting annoyed by opinions.

Putting it to rest now.

djm160190, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #10215
SE9
South East Nine

UCLH Proton Beam Therapy Centre | Fitzrovia W1

Official website: https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/ABOUTUS/NEWD...ages/Home.aspx

UCLH website: http://www.uclh.nhs.uk/Pages/home.aspx

Project facts
  • Cost: £150m
  • Client: University College London Hospitals
  • Architects: Scott Tallon Walker, Edward Williams Architects and Tsoi Kobus

The UCLH Proton Beam Therapy Centre has been approved by Westminster Council and is now out to bid. It will be only one of a handful such facilities in the world:

- Construction Enquirer: Pioneering £150m London cancer hospital out to bid

- The Construction Index: Bidding race opens on pioneering £150m cancer building

erbse, c2ula, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #10216
SE9
South East Nine

Pudding Mill Lane Station | Stratford E15

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=871486

Official website: http://developments.dlr.co.uk/future/dlr-and-crossrail/

Pudding Mill Lane Station opened to the public today. The station was resited to allow for the construction of Crossrail:

- Newham Recorder: Pudding Mill Lane DLR station opens to public

- The Wharf: New DLR station opens at Pudding Mill Lane

alexandru.mircea, ThatOneGuy, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #10217
SE9
South East Nine

Elephant Park | Elephant and Castle SE17

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hp?p=113026237

Official website: http://www.elephantandcastle.org.uk/

Project facts
  • Cost: £1.5 billion ($2.3bn)
  • Homes: 5,300
  • Developer: Lend Lease
  • Main architect: MAKE Architects

Site demolition is well under way at Elephant and Castle. The Heygate Estate is being demolished, to be replaced with the development visualised above:

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #10218
SE9
South East Nine

20 Fenchurch Street | City of London EC3

London thread:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=321409

Official website: http://www.20fenchurchstreet.co.uk/

Today at 20 Fenchurch Street. Photos by chest:

Zaz965 liked this post