daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #10361
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
Sorry but i'm getting a more hate vibe than a love for London. Maybe this is why ppl are getting a bit tired of your negativety. Maybe go to city forum you love and therefore you can be positve and feel alot happier
I have a wider appreciation spectrum than just 'love' or 'hate'.

Mr Bricks, Infinite Jest, steppenwolf liked this post
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #10362
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 909

Quote:
Sorry but i'm getting a more hate vibe than a love for London. Maybe this is why ppl are getting a bit tired of your negativety. Maybe go to city forum you love and therefore you can be positve and feel alot happier
Yes because you either hate or love London don't you. Why this "either you're with us or you are our enemy" attitude people? Some projects are fantastic some are crap, get over it. I find this naive positivity just as annoying as negativity.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that both the Shard and St Pancras are two amazing structures.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #10363
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
I have a wider appreciation spectrum than just 'love' or 'hate'.
.... just not for London. It's fine I get it but what I don't get is the majority of your posts on here are negative but still you remain. This is a london project & construction page but all you do is talk about how other cities are building or have built better. If you want to continue this you can but i'll just be ignoring your posts. As I came on this page to see london p & c news and updates not trolling or well i know a city that does it better rubbish
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #10364
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

I use role models. If we want to talk about urban regeneration, for example, well we can use London, as it's currently leading in renovating its spaces, even quite central ones, without consuming more land and well integrating a lot of different uses within them.

If we want to talk about, like, cycling, I'm going to pick Copenhagen, or Berlin, as case studies, because London is still not designed to be cycled as safely. Is this a negative remark? Because I think it's nothing more than reality, and well supported by evidence. I also hope that less cyclists will get killed in the future, and that TfL will take more drastic measures to make London safer to cycle.

Infinite Jest, Mr Bricks liked this post
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #10365
Bligh

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
I use role models. If we want to talk about urban regeneration, for example, well we can use London, as it's currently leading in renovating its spaces, even quite central ones, without consuming more land and well integrating a lot of different uses within them.

If we want to talk about, like, cycling, I'm going to pick Copenhagen, or Berlin, as case studies, because London is still not designed to be cycled as safely. Is this a negative remark? Because I think it's nothing more than reality, and well supported by evidence. I also hope that less cyclists will get killed in the future, and that TfL will take more drastic measures to make London safer to cycle.

That's a fair enough comment! Improvement's are definitely needed.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #10366
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Speaking of London Waterloo and Eurostar, the former International platforms at Waterloo are being phased into use. Platform 20 which was the easiest to convert to domestic use has started to see services. The rest of the International station will be opened in program with the closure of Platforms 1-4 as part of the lengthening to allow 10 car trains as well as remodel the station throat.

South West Trains Class 458 534 by hassaanhc, on Flickr
Seen here is a newly converted class 458/5 in platform 20 on a special run to Windsor. The introduction of these trains has been quite long and tedious due to issues with the conversion program which has been severely delayed. The 458/5s are part of a wider program of 10 car trains on South West Trains suburban services as well as take the recommendations in the HLOS (High Level Output Specification) which will see further lengthening.

While Waterloo may not be as busy as Japan's stations it's certainly got a lot going on to deserve a mention in the London Projects thread

Langur, Zaz965 liked this post
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #10367
Syndic

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on in this picture. As far as I can tell (according to the lines on the ground), that's a basketball court, but the basketball goals are outside of the court and side-by-side? That makes no sense.
Syndic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #10368
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on in this picture. As far as I can tell (according to the lines on the ground), that's a basketball court, but the basketball goals are outside of the court and side-by-side? That makes no sense.
It looks like a multi-use surface with 5-a-side football lines as well as basketball.

Judging by the goal posts inside, it's being used for football.

Wise choice, imo.

SE9 liked this post
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #10369
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61479

Quote:
It's also a 5-a-side football pitch. The basketball hoops are moved out of the cage when it's being used for football.

I've only ever seen football being played in that court to be honest.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #10370
Syndic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
It looks like a multi-use surface with 5-a-side football lines as well as basketball.

Judging by the goal posts inside, it's being used for football.

Wise choice, imo.
Playing soccer on anything other than a field (or pitch, as you guys call it) seems pointless. The quarters are way too close. This is a waste of a good basketball court. And those basketball goals are cemented into the ground, so it looks like they were removed permanently. Tis a shame, really. Makes me mad/sad.

Anyway, sorry. You're weird, London. But back to the topic at hand.
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #10371
GB1

Basketball is a irrelevant sport here, the vast majority see football as the number one sport. The 'court' is a multi purpose playing area but will probably be used to play 5 a side football the majority of the time.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #10372
potto

Likes (Received): 9180

Quote:
Playing soccer on anything other than a field (or pitch, as you guys call it) seems pointless. The quarters are way too close. This is a waste of a good basketball court. And those basketball goals are cemented into the ground, so it looks like they were removed permanently. Tis a shame, really. Makes me mad/sad.

Its just a 5-a-side soccer pitch. Very popular as most people would feel lost on a full size pitch. I've seen people play basketball games inside the court now and then. The hoops outside are always used by individuals and children to practise.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #10373
Syndic

Quote:
Basketball is a irrelevant sport here
Right, that's my point. It just seems backward. It's okay if soccer is your #1 sport. I have no problem with that. American football is our #1 sport. But in Britain, it's your #1, #2, #3, and #4 sport, too, whereas we actually make room for other sports. American football doesn't just take over everything. I hope this changes one day in Britain, but right now it just pisses me off. The basketball fans that do exist there aren't able to play actual games on the court. I'm glad I live in a country that values more than 1 sport.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #10374
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:

This type of facility (usually called a 'cage') is extremely common in London and other football-loving urban areas.

On this side of town, most boys grow up going to their neighbourhood cage to play football:

January 30th: He shoots... by markkeohane, on Flickr

Quote:
Right, that's my point. It just seems backward. It's okay if soccer is your #1 sport. I have no problem with that. American football is our #1 sport. But in Britain, it's your #1, #2, #3, and #4 sport, too, whereas we actually make room for other sports. American football doesn't just take over everything. I hope this changes one day in Britain, but right now it just pisses me off. The basketball fans that do exist there aren't able to play actual games on the court. I'm glad I live in a country that values more than 1 sport.
The UK finished 3rd in the 2012 Olympic medal table, I'm pretty sure the country values more than 1 sport lol.

It may seem that way to you because the most popular American team sports aren't participated or viewed much here.

Ivanator, alexandru.mircea, Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #10375
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
.... just not for London. It's fine I get it but what I don't get is the majority of your posts on here are negative but still you remain. This is a london project & construction page but all you do is talk about how other cities are building or have built better. If you want to continue this you can but i'll just be ignoring your posts. As I came on this page to see london p & c news and updates not trolling or well i know a city that does it better rubbish
It's always important to keep in mind other places that are building better than we are. It's no good for London if people isolate themselves in a bubble and refuse to acknowledge when other places are better.

London is building a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of rubbish and its good for us all if we can tell the difference.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #10376
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
I see your point, but it is not completely true. It cannot be denied that football is our major sport (by a large margin), but we do still make room for other sports. I personally happen to be a big fan of basketball, and there are an abundance of basketball courts near me where I sometime play with friends. On top of this, you only have to get to the nearest park to find several tennis courts, and open air basketball courts in the larger ones. It mustn't be forgotten that we play Rugby and Cricket a lot as well.
Furthermore, there are many other countries that are far more football-centric than Britain; Spain, Italy and Brazil come to mind.
Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #10377
GB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
It's always important to keep in mind other places that are building better than we are. It's no good for London if people isolate themselves in a bubble and refuse to acknowledge when other places are better.

London is building a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of rubbish and its good for us all if we can tell the difference.
That's fair enough but this is a project & construction page for news & updates not a city v city comparision thread.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #10378
SE9
South East Nine

240 Blackfriars Road | Southwark SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=457359

Official website: http://www.gpe.co.uk/property/our-po...iars-road.aspx

240 Blackfriars Road, externally complete. Photo by chest:

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #10379
SE9
South East Nine

South Quay Plaza | Canary Wharf E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1646336

Official website: http://www.berkeley-southquay.co.uk/

The planning application for South Quay Plaza is available to view online from today:

Langur, GB1, Ivanator, Owl., RSena11 and 4 others liked this post
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #10380
SE9
South East Nine

Goodman's Fields | Aldgate E1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=499272

Official website: http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/new-h...oodmans-fields

Project facts
  • Homes: 824
  • Site area: 7 acres