daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #10381
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

When are the looking to start and finish this south quay project ^, se9 ?.
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #10382
Syndic

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanator View Post
I see your point, but it is not completely true. It cannot be denied that football is our major sport (by a large margin), but we do still make room for other sports. I personally happen to be a big fan of basketball, and there are an abundance of basketball courts near me where I sometime play with friends. On top of this, you only have to get to the nearest park to find several tennis courts, and open air basketball courts in the larger ones. It mustn't be forgotten that we play Rugby and Cricket a lot as well.
Furthermore, there are many other countries that are far more football-centric than Britain; Spain, Italy and Brazil come to mind.
Basketball is still quite popular in those countries, though.
Syndic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #10383
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Basketball is still quite popular in those countries, though.
True, but I know for sure that in Italy (and I assume it is true in these other countries, although I cannot be certain) a group of youths with spare time will play football (if they are to play a sport at all). While football may be the most common choice in Britain, speaking as a British youth I can tell you that we play different sports depending on the weather, time of year, available facilities or simply because we want some variety.
Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #10384
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60317

Bloomberg Hub | London City Airport

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1660768

Bloomberg Release: http://www.bloomberg.com/now/2014-05...siness-travel/

The Bloomberg Hub has commenced operation at London City Airport:

- Future Travel: Digital, interactive Bloomberg Hub opens at London City Airport

- PSFK: Bloomberg Turns an Airport Lounge into a Tech Heavy Media Hub

- The Drum: 'There may be no better way to reach our customers' - Bloomberg launches London City Airport tech hub in biggest ever marketing initiative

Ivanator, #Alex, beaniepotato, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #10385
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Right, that's my point. It just seems backward. It's okay if soccer is your #1 sport. I have no problem with that. American football is our #1 sport. But in Britain, it's your #1, #2, #3, and #4 sport, too, whereas we actually make room for other sports. American football doesn't just take over everything. I hope this changes one day in Britain, but right now it just pisses me off. The basketball fans that do exist there aren't able to play actual games on the court. I'm glad I live in a country that values more than 1 sport.
Contender for most ignorant post in this thread?

Quite a feat.
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #10386
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

It's however undeniable that in Britain, as in most of Europe, football is by far the #1 sport, though others have many followers (rugby, tennis, etc).

But we're in the right part of the world.

Last edited by Stravinsky; May 9th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #10387
SE9
South East Nine

60 Commercial Road | Aldgate E1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1634624

Official website: -

Activity on site at 60 Commercial Road:

Building site, Commercial Road by duncanbowers, on Flickr

ThatOneGuy, Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #10388
tosic

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:

Right, that's my point. It just seems backward. It's okay if soccer is your #1 sport. I have no problem with that. American football is our #1 sport. But in Britain, it's your #1, #2, #3, and #4 sport, too, whereas we actually make room for other sports. American football doesn't just take over everything. I hope this changes one day in Britain, but right now it just pisses me off. The basketball fans that do exist there aren't able to play actual games on the court. I'm glad I live in a country that values more than 1 sport.
What a load of old rubbish. Cricket and rugby (both forms) are both massive here.
tosic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #10389
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Indeed. Lords and the Oval are world famous cricket grounds, and cricket is the world's 2nd most popular sport after football. Twickenham is the world's biggest dedicated rugby stadium. Wimbledon is the world's most prestigious tennis tournament, and the O2 hosts the WTA tour finals at the end of every season. Horse racing at Royal Ascot and Epsom Derby are not in London proper, but are part of London's social season, as are Henley Regatta and the Oxford & Cambridge Boat Race (rowing is huge on the Thames). The Olympics has also left London with some excellent facilities for swimming and cycling (another sport where Britain excels - winning tons of Olympic cycling golds, and victories at the last two Tours de France - the latter has stages in London now). The London Marathon is one of the five world marathon majors. I can't think of any city in the world with a more impressive or varied sporting calendar than London's.

It's not all about London of course. Golf at The Open, is rotated elsewhere in the country, especially in Scotland. The British Grand Prix is at Silverstone (though there's talk of a London street night race in the Formula 1 calendar). The Grand National is at Aintree near Liverpool. However London remains the greatest single centre for sport in Britain and probably the world.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Last edited by Langur; May 9th, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #10390
Stravinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Indeed. Lords and the Oval are world famous cricket grounds, and cricket is the world's 2nd most popular sport after football.
Even more than rugby or tennis?
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #10391
potto

Likes (Received): 9106

And London is where ping pong (table tennis) was invented

Don't forget Snooker, Darts, Lawn Bowling and Croquet are all very popular sports with facilities in most towns in the UK.

Last edited by potto; May 9th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #10392
potto

Likes (Received): 9106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Even more than rugby or tennis?
one word, India

Ivanator liked this post
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #10393
Stravinsky

I misread England's instead of world's #2! What would England's number two be, then?

Last edited by Stravinsky; May 9th, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #10394
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
What would be England's number two be, then?

Stravinsky, Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #10395
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
one word, India
South Asia generally, with 1.7 billion people, and cricket is the only sport that matters there.

If you look at the leading international cricket teams, they're in every major continent, with England in Europe, The West Indies in the Americas, South Africa in Africa, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in Asia, Australia in Oceania, etc. Any of those are capable of winning the big tests and trophies. That's actually a wider spread than football, where all of the best international and club teams are from either Europe or South America.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #10396
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
5-a-side sport is different to normal football... it's a sport in it's own right and has become more popular in the UK.

Plus, as you can see by the Olympics, football is not just our sport. I can assure you that our other main sports are definitely Rugby, Cricket, and Cycling. Cycling in the UK is huge.. a lot more so than in the US. We have millions of Rugby fans accross the UK and the same goes with Cricket. I can assure you that this country values sport all together - especially after 2012 where smaller sports like Rock Climbing, Athletics, Volleyball have become A LOT more popular - especially with girls.

I am glad I live in a country that genuinly participates in international tournaments and does not call the F.A. Cup the "World Series"
Just kidding... but you know what I mean.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Ivanator liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #10397
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
It's however undeniable that in Britain, as in most of Europe, football is by far the #1 sport, though others have many followers (rugby, tennis, etc).

But we're in the right part of the world.

This is true.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #10398
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Back in 2012 I got to listen to a show dedicated to basketball in the UK, on the BBC's 5live. There were guests from all the spectrum, including the basketball authorities. The main idea was that what's needed for basketball to grow in Britain in terms of participation and professionalization, based on the quite large popularity is has among the young, is indoor facilities. Due to the British weather, more or less outdoor grounds make very little difference for basketball.

Those two basketball goals in the picture are put up in a typical mode for Europe, which is meant for small groups. Playing basketball on a proper ground, between two goals, is quite demanding physically, and those who come to casually play some bball rarely come in large groups, of 10 or so people. Which is why even when there are proper bball grounds, they are usually split between two smaller groups, who play each at its own goal. 2 against 2 or 3 against 3 at the same goal is easily the preferred way to play bball in Europe, from my experience; there even are international competitions (sometimes dubbed "street basketball").
Single goals also help using for sport smaller spaces, which is often the case in the higher density European cities. It's basically the same principle like when you buy a bball goal for your courtyard and you hang it from the roof of your garage.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #10399
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

Does anyone know, what is happening with the heron plaza project ?.
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #10400
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Apologies if already noted:

Merged Fiat-Chrysler HQ to be in London

http://www.autoblog.com

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom