daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #11161
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

I don't think the Thames is "dirty", I think that like any river close to a maritime estuary the tide keeps pushing up silt (that is a word according to Google Translate; if not, ooze or mud?) upstream. Hence the (light) brown look.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; August 19th, 2014 at 12:23 AM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #11162
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
cooorrr lovely.

In other news, does anyone know where SE9 is?
SE9 is away on a break in Africa at the moment, but he will be back.

Also just to add, the construction of the Thames Tideway Scheme (super sewer), starting in 2015 and hopefully finishing in 2023, will drastically cut all overflowing sewage into the Thames on such occasions when it does happen.

Last edited by Union Man; August 18th, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #11163
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

The Thames may well be cleaner than it's been in many years however there's no getting away from the fact that Bazalgette's original sewers (many if which are former rivers!) are still used however for far more people than the system was ever designed for. The need for the new super sewer is becoming ever more necessary as our weather becomes wetter as well as London becoming a bigger city.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #11164
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN N7 View Post
It may interest you to know, the River Thames is actually regarded as the cleanest river (flowing through a major city) in the world. More than half of London's sewage waste is treated/compressed into pellet size and shaped objects and sold on as agriculture fertiliser. It is also home to over 130 species of marine creature.. fish/shrimp/shellfish etc etc.. just FYI.
That's damning with faint praise if ever I saw it. Point of fact: The Thames may be cleaner than other major rivers, but that doesn't make it clean. This isn't some pristine subtropical inlet with crystal blue waters and white, powdery beaches. It's a gutter.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #11165
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

The Walkie Talkie // 20 Fenchurch Street:

Link: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/08/hea...ssing-hairnet/

[QUOTE]
London's infamous car-melting Walkie Talkie skyscraper is now looking a little more humble and less like a murderous automaton, with the building sporting an external net to stop its accidental parabolic sun reflector burning stuff at street level whenever the sun comes out.

The entire south-facing side of the curved tower at 20 Fenchurch Street is now covered with black netting, shaming the building, London's skyline and the architects responsible for creating the unfortunate light magnifier in the first place. It's only a temporary measure, though, with the nets eventually being replaced by a mesh of aluminium fins to permanently block the sun and dissipate reflected heat.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to seeing the replacement fins. Does anybody have a render or idea of what this will look like? Opinions?
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #11166
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

No renders I don't think, but we know their basic construction and - from a distance - the effect on the building's exterior will be just to turn up the grayscale a little. They should be small enough that the glass just looks darker from a distance.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #11167
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

As it's aluminum I don't think it'll look that dark.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #11168
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7169

Quote:
London tops Forbes list of the world's most influential cities in 2014

London is the most influential city in the world, according to analysts at Forbes, despite Britain being a “second-rate” global power.

New York came a close second, followed by Paris and Singapore as the annual list signalled a shift of power to “savvy” cities, rather than the largest or fastest growing.

Joel Kotkin, urban geographer Ali Modarres, analyst Aaron Renn and demographer Wendell Cox assessed 58 metropolitan areas in eight categories to compile the rankings.

They looked at the amount of foreign investment they have attracted, the concentration of corporate headquarters, business dominance, ease of air travel, financial services, technology and media power and racial diversity.

Mr Kotkin, who analyses political, economic and social trends, said the greatest global cities were once the largest but size is no longer as important.

Of the world’s 10 most populous cities, only Tokyo, New York and Beijing made the top 10 for influence.

Writing in Forbes, he said: “After more than a century of imperial decline, [London] still ranks at number one in our survey.

“The United Kingdom may now be a second-rate power, but the City’s unparalleled legacy as a global financial capital still underpins its pre-eminence.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...4-9676264.html

alexandru.mircea, VDB liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #11169
TedToToe

Likes (Received): 55

All this talk of the cleanliness of the Thames makes me wonder where SE9 has gone on holiday!

napowen liked this post
TedToToe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #11170
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6232

In the noughties, well into the years of the 15 year drought, the water was said to be clean enough to drink (if you waited for the silt to settle). Salmon returned, as did otters. However the drought ended, yes it did.

Thus whenever it pours and the Victorian sewer system overflows, sewage is released into the river. This now happens 60 times a year nowadays, more than once a week. That's 55 million tonnes a year of sewage. It is no longer the cleanest urban waterway in the world.

However the super sewer tunnel currently being built (if ever the rich people stop protesting about it) - at $7 billion and rising, and slated for completion in 2023 will hopefully put an end to that.
the spliff fairy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #11171
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 11734

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
I don't know if being that close to the Thames is a good plan. I mean, there are days where you can practically walk across the river on a thin crust of slime and effluence. Do I really want to be swimming that close to that level of mess?

Point of fact: the disgusting nature of the Thames actually makes up a part of my national pride. I think all great civilizations have to have their own horrendous cesspool right in the middle of their capital. It's a rite of passage.
I am strongly reminded of the Thames' fantasy counterpart, the Ankh --

Quote:
You can't drown in the Ankh, but it is really easy to suffocate.

Paradoxically, Morporkians are very proud of it. They say "A water that has been filtered by so many kidneys can only be very pure indeed" or "A water so full of life can't be bad for health".

It has been said that the Ankh is the only river in the multiverse where cops can draw a chalk outline when a corpse is found.

There is a legend in Ankh-Morpork of an ancient drum in the palace that will bang itself if ever an enemy fleet is seen sailing up the Ankh, although the legend has died out in recent centuries, partly because it's the Age of Reason and also because no enemy fleet could sail up the Ankh without a gang of men with shovels going in front.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon

JimB liked this post
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #11172
potto

Likes (Received): 9106

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
That's damning with faint praise if ever I saw it. Point of fact: The Thames may be cleaner than other major rivers, but that doesn't make it clean. This isn't some pristine subtropical inlet with crystal blue waters and white, powdery beaches. It's a gutter.
you do realise that the lido plan isn't to actually swim in the Thames water right?
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #11173
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
However the super sewer tunnel currently being built (if ever the rich people stop protesting about it) - at $7 billion and rising, and slated for completion in 2023 will hopefully put an end to that.
Didn't even know that had been approved. Thanks.
Old August 20th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #11174
PortoNuts

Old August 20th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #11175
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieUK View Post
I spotted this news article. Seems like a good idea?

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/599...central-london

This is a great idea! I recently visited Berlin and they have a similar floating swimming pool there with decking to sit and sunbathe on and a few small bars too.
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #11176
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Man View Post
SE9 is away on a break in Africa at the moment, but he will be back.
Aye, I was in Africa and the Middle East for much of the month. Fairly busy too, only had fleeting chances to relax.

A lot has happened in London whilst I've been away, good to see the LCI bridge in place.
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #11177
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Aye, I was in Africa and the Middle East for much of the month. Fairly busy too, only had fleeting chances to relax.

A lot has happened in London whilst I've been away, good to see the LCI bridge in place.
Welcome back, SE9! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we look forward to seeing your updates again!

Bligh, max.crane liked this post
Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #11178
robhood

Likes (Received): 3357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanator View Post
Welcome back, SE9! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we look forward to seeing your updates again!
yes, we waiting for more updates
robhood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #11179
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60335

Cheers! Coming up shortly

Ivanator, Union Man, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #11180
SE9
South East Nine