daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #11661
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

BRILLIANT NEWS about 100 Bishopsgate! Absolutely fantastic. It will add some well needed density to the Skyline. It's also quite Conservative in design and I think that's a great move for the Skyline as a whole. Amazing news.

SE9 - I didn't see an estimated completion date.. would you know this? Or are these figures not available yet?
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Ivanator liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #11662
Metro Area

Likes (Received): 13

Imagine Bishopsgate with 100 Bishopsgate, Principal Place, Shoreditch Goods Yard, Heron Plaza and of course the Pinnacle... would be one great skyscraper drive!

Bligh, Ivanator, Londonese liked this post
Metro Area no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #11663
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
What is this other kind of stuff ?. On supertalls London isn't far behind, it's not and will never be part of that race.
Bridges. The city needs about three more in the east end, just for transportation, and for the most part they're incredibly ugly. There are only two beautiful London bridges, in my opinion; Tower and Vauxhall.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #11664
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1664

Albert Bridge in Battersea?

Ivanator, alexandru.mircea, UnHavrais liked this post
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #11665
SomeKindOfBug

Look, I'm not going to launch into a debate over which specific bridges etc etc. And I did say it was my opinion. I personally think Albert looks drab during the day and at night, when lit up, it looks like a spiderweb in the morning, which is horrible. It's spindly and lacks all presence on the water.

But the point remains, most of London's bridges as so unremarkable they are borderline invisible, and the ones that aren't are mostly utilitarian and horrible. Imagine something like Seri Wawasan, or Singapore's Helix, right in the centre of London.

Get Calatrava on the phone, get him to sketch up a bridge in an afternoon, and then build it. Get the Garden Bridge built. Get something else.

The Thames is depressing enough without plain steel girders laid across it. Something white and clean and cheerful is needed.
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #11666
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1664

Neither of those bridges would suit central london.
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #11667
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Look, I'm not going to launch into a debate over which specific bridges etc etc. And I did say it was my opinion. I personally think Albert looks drab during the day and at night, when lit up, it looks like a spiderweb in the morning, which is horrible. It's spindly and lacks all presence on the water.

But the point remains, most of London's bridges as so unremarkable they are borderline invisible, and the ones that aren't are mostly utilitarian and horrible. Imagine something like Seri Wawasan, or Singapore's Helix, right in the centre of London.

Get Calatrava on the phone, get him to sketch up a bridge in an afternoon, and then build it. Get the Garden Bridge built. Get something else.

The Thames is depressing enough without plain steel girders laid across it. Something white and clean and cheerful is needed.
Althought I completely disagree with you in regards to the Albert Bridge, we do need more well designed bridges in London - especially to the East.
~

L O N D O N
~

Londonese liked this post
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #11668
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN N7 View Post
Neither of those bridges would suit central london.
That's precisely why it needs them. It's the one area of London architecture that has resisted change the longest. Look at the diversity of London's buildings - from the Shard to the Tate extension, to Nova Victoria and the Frank Gehry nonsense at Battersea - and then compare that to the relative sameness of its bridges. Even if they were universally beautiful - which they aren't - they'd still be a problem for being the same design repeated over and over.

Obviously, it's much harder to diversify bridges - because they're part of the infrastructure - but it's the one area that needs urgent improvement, aesthetically and logistically. Particularly east of the docklands. What better opportunity is there for a new and interesting addition to the city?

London needs new bridges. It's current bridges are ugly boring. It's an equation that solves itself.
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #11669
Italiano95

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidM View Post
One of the mains reasons we barely have skyscrapers in London is because we have strong opposition from groups who want to protect Londons history, heritage and culture. They thing London should be kept as one big open museum, no joking, that's first on their agenda, livability is like second or third or even last. That's why we've got to compromise.
If London city airport were to be closed London would have an perfect area for extending the Canary Wharf skyline to the east and that area would only look better with some supertalls! Unfortunenately that will never happen!
Italiano95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #11670
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 300

In my fantasy dream world they would build a old style London bridge with buildings on it.
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #11671
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
That's precisely why it needs them. It's the one area of London architecture that has resisted change the longest. Look at the diversity of London's buildings - from the Shard to the Tate extension, to Nova Victoria and the Frank Gehry nonsense at Battersea - and then compare that to the relative sameness of its bridges. Even if they were universally beautiful - which they aren't - they'd still be a problem for being the same design repeated over and over.

Obviously, it's much harder to diversify bridges - because they're part of the infrastructure - but it's the one area that needs urgent improvement, aesthetically and logistically. Particularly east of the docklands. What better opportunity is there for a new and interesting addition to the city?

London needs new bridges. It's current bridges are ugly boring. It's an equation that solves itself.

You seem to ignore the Millenium Bridge, and the Hungerford Bridge? add to that the extension on Blackfriars mainline bridge.
Also the history that goes with London Bridge and Waterloo bridge add to their presence - London doesn't need to be all singing and dancing at every turn - it has history and a purpose.

Right now most Londoners would be happy to have a simple bridge crossing the Thames in east london.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #11672
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60470

I'm personally fine with London's existing bridges from an architectural viewpoint. Physically, sightlines limit what's possible in central London and height restrictions constrain the east. Nevertheless, I'll take efficient, functional new crossings over flash.

Last edited by SE9; November 7th, 2014 at 12:27 AM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #11673
Metro Area

Likes (Received): 13

Talking of bridges, there are also plenty over secondary rivers, canals and moats, like the Serpentine, Paddington Basin, Camden, Canary Wharf, Eltham Palace... no shortage there
Metro Area no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #11674
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 11734

Quote:
Setting aside any argument about the visual quality of the current bridges (my personal view: SE9's post shows they're not bereft of charm, but I do agree many are quite nondescript), if you're arguing the new bridges London needs anyway should have beautiful designs, beyond the merely functional, then as a fan of 'artistic' bridges I totally agree. I can't see Osborne, DC et al wanting to take any extra cost of that centrally though, and where else would the surplus come from? if only the lower thames bridges had a Joanna Lumley and some shrubberies then maybe corporate donors would get involved.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/project • by year
My Urban Showcase threads: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Orkney • Bristol • Lisbon • London
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #11675
SomeKindOfBug

That is - I think - one of the biggest problems. Bridges aren't sexy, and their utility to the city is hard to get across to voters. Once a politician starts talking about traffic and congestion and 'arteries of infrastructure', the public's eyes glaze over and they turn off the TV.

Look how hard it was to get HS2 on the books, and that's pretty much the same type of deal. You have to couch it within easily digestible data - eg travel times, costs etc.

Which is why I think some kind of design competition, or some magnificent design can really help push through some much needed infrastructure. London needs some new bridges but who really cares about bridges.

And not art-statements like the Millennium Bridge, but actual, no-messing-around car bridges east of Tower.
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #11676
Bligh

I believe that the bridge(s) we need at the moment are in the East. It would be great to have an iconic designed bridge in the East. I can picture it overlooking Canary Wharf in the distance...

...one can dream

I am 90% sure that this was proposed a couple months back, but they do not have a design yet (?)
~

L O N D O N
~

Ivanator liked this post
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #11677
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

As SE9's photos clearly show London's bridges are anything but ugly. The only one I find really offensive is London Bridge, which is sad because it is the oldest and most famous of all.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #11678
SomeKindOfBug

You'd think someone would propose a renovation of London Bridge to be as it was, with buildings along it. I mean, make it a shopping mall if you must, but the look of a bridge heaving with structures is something I think would be tremendous for London.

Nobody actually uses the river anymore. Wide-arch bridges are redundant.

Ivanator liked this post
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #11679
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
As SE9's photos clearly show London's bridges are anything but ugly. The only one I find really offensive is London Bridge, which is sad because it is the oldest and most famous of all.
I'm pretty sure that the London Bridge that is there now isn't that old... the London Bridge that is there now was opened in the 70's.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old October 28th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #11680
MasterOfHisOwnDomain

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Look how hard it was to get HS2 on the books, and that's pretty much the same type of deal. You have to couch it within easily digestible data - eg travel times, costs etc.
HS2 is a different kettle of fish though because of the massive cost, seemingly inconsequential efficiencies and the intrusion onto private land across the breadth of the country.

What it does have is the kind of head-line hitting, vanity project status. The kind of project that a politician would want to attach their name to. It's harder to achieve that with a bridge these days.
MasterOfHisOwnDomain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom