daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #11801
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61545

London Paramount Theme Park | Swanscombe Peninsula

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1553041

Official website: http://www.londonparamount.info/

Project facts
  • Cost: £2 billion ($3.2bn)
  • Area: 872 acres
  • Completion: 2020

Initial plans have been released for the London Paramount theme park at Swanscombe Peninsula:

- BBC News: Paramount Pictures resort plans on display

- Kent Online: London Paramount resort, Emerging plans to go on show in consultation

- Rider Rater: Paramount London park plans go on display

#Alex, TurboB, Owl., VDB, JanVL and 14 others liked this post
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #11802
Sterlyng65

Likes (Received): 45

I love it
Sterlyng65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #11803
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1322

What's the likelihood of that happening?
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #11804
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
If London has such overwhelming investment, why hasn't that turned into supertall or even skyscraper size buildings?

I mean, don't get me wrong, some of the world's best skyscrapers are in London. But the city doesn't have the forest of buildings effect of New York, Tokyo, or even parts of Paris.

Is there a hard ceiling on London? And if so, at what point do they remove it because of economic pressure?
There is a ~1000ft ceiling due to the heathrow flightpath. I don't see it getting removed unless heathrow closes, which is looking less likely now.

NYC has the density it does because Manhattan is an island, with good rock for skyscraper construction (even given the tech of the early days); London had room to sprawl and not so good rock. Paris chose to concentrate their talls in La Defense in deference to the historic architecture of the centre; London is less firmly planned and with the blitz etc didn't have a consistent historic centre left to preserve, etc, etc.

All sorts of factors why London isn't a skyscraper-fest compared to any other given city, historically. And while the (current/recent) investment SE9 is citing will turn into a great deal of new skyscrapers if you wait 10 years, it still won't be a similar forest to NYC, because the high rises are more scattered. Come 2025 I can think of at least 8 'clusters' with a notable skyscraper presence - the IoD, the City, the City's northern fringes, South Bank, Vauxhall/Nine Elms, Elephant, Stratford, Croydon - and I might be forgetting some. If they were all combined and packed into one Manhattan shaped area it might start 'competing', but that's not geographical / economical reality of London.

I suppose to put it in short, big money only turns into tall buildings when the money is constricted to a small area by some legal or geographical factor. In London it's not.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/project • by year
My Urban Showcase threads: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Orkney • Bristol • Lisbon • London

JimB, Ivanator liked this post

Last edited by stevekeiretsu; November 7th, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #11805
potto

Likes (Received): 9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
There is a ~1000ft ceiling due to the heathrow flightpath. I don't see it getting removed unless heathrow closes, which is looking less likely now.

NYC has the density it does because Manhattan is an island, with good rock for skyscraper construction (even given the tech of the early days); London had room to sprawl and not so good rock. Paris chose to concentrate their talls in La Defense in deference to the historic architecture of the centre; London is less firmly planned and with the blitz etc didn't have a consistent historic centre left to preserve, etc, etc.

All sorts of factors why London isn't a skyscraper-fest compared to any other given city, historically. And while the (current/recent) investment SE9 is citing will turn into a great deal of new skyscrapers if you wait 10 years, it still won't be a similar forest to NYC, because the high rises are more scattered. If you squash the 2025 high rises of the IoD, the City, the City's northern fringes, South Bank, Vauxhall/Nine Elms, Stratford, Croydon, etc into one Manhattan shaped area it might start 'competing', but that's not geographical reality.

I suppose to put it in short, big money only turns into tall buildings when the money is constricted to a small area by some legal or geographical factor. In London it's not.
Actually the London wide 1000ft building height limit comes from having to vertically separate Heathrow and City airport flight paths from each other, needs a 1000ft separation between them as well. London was much more supertall friendly up until the late 80s when City airport opened. It is more likely that City airport might close than Heathrow moves. Either way London will get an extra 1000 ft breathing space. If City airport closes then central London as well as wider London will have a much raised ceiling.

stevekeiretsu liked this post

Last edited by potto; November 10th, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #11806
Tellvis
Living the dream...

Likes (Received): 384

If it's not a stupid question, why is there not a 1000ft ceiling around the likes of New York and Hong Kong, they have airports close to their cities, and still have supertalls......
Tellvis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #11807
Londonese
Londonese

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuesoft View Post
Nice picture taken by @MPSinthesky (Metropolitan Police Service Helicopters) yesterday morning...

https://twitter.com/MPSinthesky/stat...0024826716160/
Oh wow, what a picture!

London is really beginning to look very futuristic. What I would do to jump forward in time a decade to see what it looks like then...

-

Also, fantastic news about the Paramount park. I'm quietly optimistic about it. Do you know if they gave any details on specific rides and attractions? And if so, where can I find them?

AbidM liked this post
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #11808
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12122

cheers potto, interesting, didn't know that. you might want to un-quote all of the paramount park pictures though lol

Tellvis, I'm not too familiar with NYC or HK air patterns to be honest, but I'd guess it's the difference between having airports "close to the city" and airport with the landing approach path directly over the city. See, the argument often cited against heathrow expansion (or even in favour of total closure), that most cities with east-west prevailing winds (and hence runways + flight paths) have the sense to put the airport north or south of the city, not west of it.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/project • by year
My Urban Showcase threads: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Orkney • Bristol • Lisbon • London
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #11809
Tellvis
Living the dream...

Likes (Received): 384

Yeh, see the point, Boris Island would have caused the same problem I guess, being East of the city, but that's been kicked into touch. Still think the 1000ft ceiling for Central London is a bit too cautious, especially with today's technology, but what do I know about aviation, naff all.
Tellvis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #11810
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellvis View Post
If it's not a stupid question, why is there not a 1000ft ceiling around the likes of New York and Hong Kong, they have airports close to their cities, and still have supertalls......
The approach for London City Airport takes planes literally right over central London, Canary Wharf and the wider Docklands area, in close proximity.

The approach for New York airports doesn't take planes right over Lower or Midtown Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellvis View Post
Yeh, see the point, Boris Island would have caused the same problem I guess, being East of the city, but that's been kicked into touch. Still think the 1000ft ceiling for Central London is a bit too cautious, especially with today's technology, but what do I know about aviation, naff all.
Boris Island or the Thames Hub Airport wouldn't have caused the same problem. The approach for either airport would take aircraft far above central London and the Docklands, thus having no aviation imposed height limit.

stinkysteel liked this post
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #11811
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
The approach for London City Airport takes planes literally right over central London, Canary Wharf and the wider Docklands area, in close proximity. The approach for New York airports doesn't take planes right over Lower or Midtown Manhattan.

There are approaches that take planes over Manhattan...especially when you fly to LaGuardia. One can see planes flying across all the time.

The FAA imposed limit in most cities is 2000ft, however, so it may just be an instance of less caution or an approach that gives them a much longer descent.

It also matters in which direction you're flying, as well as air traffic. Flying into Heathrow from the US, I couldn't see the city at all, but was able to finally figure out where it was in relation to the city when I flew in from Hamburg.

In my experience, it didn't seem like the approach brought us any lower than in NYC

VDB liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #11812
SE9
South East Nine

When I said they don't fly 'right over', I meant they don't in close proximity as planes do approaching London City.

For example, watch at 5:51 to see how close planes get to Canary Wharf:

Or at 1:22 here:

Literally a minute before touchdown.
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #11813
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4835

Last video is amazing. Never landed from that direction, only from East. That approach looks amazing from land as well, as plane literally flying between two rows of skyscraper over the dock.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #11814
SE9
South East Nine

I've never landed from that direction either, but I've only used LCY once. Must be quite a feeling.

This video starts by flying past the Shard, demonstrating why there's a 1,000ft ceiling for buildings in central London:

napowen liked this post
Old November 8th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #11815
hugh

Likes (Received): 1251

Apart from height restrictions related to flight, younger forumers might lack context. London has gone from being a city with virtually no skyscrapers, to a city with a fair number of them, in a relatively short time. Heritage groups, would be conservationists, extreme architectural conservatism, overwrought (IMO) memories of bad high rise architecture in the 1960s (yes, it's a long time ago), all contributed to London being low-rise. As said, that's changing, just don't expect a sea of super talls to spring up overnight.

JimB, SE9, Union Man liked this post
hugh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #11816
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
What's the likelihood of that happening?
It's likely. London Paramount is supported by the government and the two local councils (Dartford and Gravesham).

Londonese liked this post
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #11817
RoosterCg
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Apart from height restrictions related to flight, younger forumers might lack context. London has gone from being a city with virtually no skyscrapers, to a city with a fair number of them, in a relatively short time. Heritage groups, would be conservationists, extreme architectural conservatism, overwrought (IMO) memories of bad high rise architecture in the 1960s (yes, it's a long time ago), all contributed to London being low-rise. As said, that's changing, just don't expect a sea of super talls to spring up overnight.

Not to mention geography...London has always had the option to spread out horizontally unlike the confined island space of Manhattan.

Now that much stricter rules are in place regarding 'no build' areas, the combination of a rising population and these new artificial boundaries will ensure London now goes vertical, it will never be on the same density as New York, but it will be on much bigger scale than anywhere else in Europe.

SE9 liked this post
RoosterCg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #11818
SE9
South East Nine

Canary Wharf owner rejects Qatari bid approach
Financial Times
7 November 2014

Quote:
Songbird Estates, the owner of Canary Wharf Group, has rejected a preliminary takeover approach from the Qatar Investment Authority and Brookfield Property Partners that would have valued the company at just under £2.2bn.

David Pritchard, Songbird’s independent chairman, said the proposal of 295p per share “significantly undervalues Songbird and does not reflect the inherent value of the business and its underlying assets”.

“The group has an exceptional management team with a clear vision to deliver additional shareholder value, including from our 11m sq ft development pipeline, the largest in London,” he added.

[continued in link]
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #11819
SE9
South East Nine

Berkeley and National Grid launch brownfield JV
Construction Enquirer
7 November 2014
Quote:
Berkeley has launched a new housebuilding joint venture with National Grid to develop brownfield sites across London and the South East.

St William Homes will create major residential and mixed-use schemes on surplus brownfield land held by National Grid.

The joint venture has funding of £700m and aims to commence development activity on its first site in 2016, with the first homes being delivered in 2017.
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #11820
SE9
South East Nine

Lipton Rogers zeroes in on deal to revive Pinnacle
Building Design
7 November 2014
Quote:
Architect PLP on team close to taking over mothballed tower

Veteran developer Stuart Lipton is close to securing a landmark deal to rescue London’s stalled Pinnacle tower that would see the distinctive “helter skelter” design scrapped and replaced with a more cost-efficient scheme.

Lipton - one of property’s biggest names, best known for developing London’s iconic eighties Broadgate complex - has engaged a design team and is backed by equity investors in a bid to take over the development of the stalled £1bn tower in the City of London, Building’s sister paper Building has discovered.

Earlier this week Building reported that French fund manager Axa is leading a consortium of overseas investors that is in exclusive talks with the Saudi owners of the site to buy the development.

It is understood the Axa consortium is backing Lipton’s project team.

[continued in link]

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom