daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1201
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Mayor Knocks Back Stratford Tower Plans.

A trio of Stock Woolstencroft designed buildings to stand on 2-12 Stratford High Street in the London Borough of Newham have been knocked back by the Mayor of London.

The proposal sits on a former industrial site to the immediate south-west of One Stratford, another Stock Woolstencroft penned development and incorporates 7, 11 and 24 storey buildings with the tallest building on the southern end of the site.

The scheme contains 177 1,2 and 3 bedroom apartments of which 100 will be in the main tower standing above three levels of commercial space on the lower floors. The 23rd floor of the tower, Block A, would contain a restaurant offering sweeping views over London. The second building, Block B, would be 11 floors and entirely residential.

Stock Woolstencroft went for an elliptical design again here, a formula that has served them well with proposed towers in the past in the area but the appearance of the buildings, especially the commercial space, is noted at seeming muddled and unattractive.

Part of the criticism comes from the layout of the buildings with what the Mayor's office feels is too many north-facing apartments. Orientation of residential accommodation is considered important so that people can get direct sunlight and in this case the powers that be feel too many apartments have this single aspect to their views.

Another of the problems that the Mayor's office identifies is the site, brown-field in nature, that they feel has little by the way of local infrastructure to accommodate a large residential development although seems to have been less of a problem for other nearby developments. In this case they feel that the scheme fails to deal with this properly.

The layout of the buildings are criticised for having long corridors whilst even the balconies are picked on for being too small for practical use with the ones on the three bedroom apartments overlooking Cooks Road sized at a mere 1x3 metres.

Although this scheme will have to go back to the drawing board, you needn't worry if you want to see lots of work by the architect - Stock Woolstencroft are by far the busiest firm in the area. Not including the two buildings over 10 floors in this project, they have another 7 at various stages including the colourful elliptical tower, ICONA, which has just been completed.

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #1202
Buyckske Ruben

more pics

Hudson Tower, One Stratford, Stratford E15
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1203
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Here is the site of the new 55 floor Foster Resi:

Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #1204
Buyckske Ruben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Here is the site of the new 55 floor Foster Resi:

Good job do you have some more info about it. In the form of renders or more pics of the site. There is so little known about that project to me.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #1205
london lad

Likes (Received): 2269

Buyckske Ruben - You do realise most of the news you post from skyscrapernews is debated in depth on their relevant threads in the London Forum- You can find plenty of info there.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM   #1206
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

The London Mayoral Election is today -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/1...on/7376813.stm

This is very important in terms of London's skyline and future urban projects. The current mayor, Ken Livingstone is very pro-skyscraper and has approved dozens of highrises... but his opponent, the right-wing Boris Johnson, is very anti. Judging by recent polls, it looks like Johnson will win
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM   #1207
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

I doubt one man will be able to stop all the developments. it's not like he is the only one that has something to say in this matter.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1208
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
I doubt one man will be able to stop all the developments. it's not like he is the only one that has something to say in this matter.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...5&postcount=11
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM   #1209
Minato ku

This is scary.

The main idea about the skyscrapers is positive or negative in London ?
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM   #1210
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

What is scary exactly? Wjfox is exaggerating things a bit. In fact both candidates have nearly the same programs, and the difference is more a question of style than substance. Besides, what really poses a threat to skyscraper building in London is not who will be mayor of London tonight, but rather the financial crisis which could stall or stop many projects.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1211
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Wjfox is exaggerating things a bit.
No. If you read that PDF, you'll see that I'm not.

There is simply no comparison... Ken Livingstone is the most pro-skyscraper politician around. Boris Johnson is a Tory who would work with UNESCO and English Heritage to place extreme restrictions on London's skyline.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1212
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

That's not the impression I got reading the English press. They all seem to think that both candidates have exact same programs, including on tall buildings. Anyway, if you're right then I guess Paris and London will now be on the same footing and both have anti-skyscraper municipalities. That'll make the race more fair. Lol.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1213
CrazyMac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
No. If you read that PDF, you'll see that I'm not.

There is simply no comparison... Ken Livingstone is the most pro-skyscraper politician around. Boris Johnson is a Tory who would work with UNESCO and English Heritage to place extreme restrictions on London's skyline.
I really wouldnt get into a debate with Brisavoine...he's a French troll, obsessed with the UK and wether it has a larger/smaller economy than France...

The guy is a moron.
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #1214
london lad

Likes (Received): 2269

Two towers in Elephant & Castle U/C.

[IMG]http://i26.************/b4til5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i27.************/17y4h3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.************/kbu2va.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.************/a9tv80.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/2wlqy6e.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i32.************/wbx7o3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/4to7cz.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.************/apg2uh.jpg[/IMG]
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #1215
Commissaire Maigret

Likes (Received): 1

wind turbines??? what for?
Commissaire Maigret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1216
Megalothian
Blood, sweat, gravy, egg.

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissaire Maigret View Post
wind turbines??? what for?
For grinding oats
Megalothian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #1217
wjfox
Futurist

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4b1689a4-1...0779fd2ac.html

Mayor signals end to high-rise London

By Bob Sherwood and Jean Eaglesham in London

Published: May 7 2008

Boris Johnson, London's new mayor, began to set his stamp on a his administration yesterday by revealing some of his top aides.

First, he signalled that he would reverse his predecessor's support for tall buildings by appointing an outspoken critic of skyscrapers as his planning adviser.

Sir Simon Milton, leader of Westminster City Council and chairman of the Local Government Association, was appointed Mr Johnson's senior adviser on housing and planning.

The move is likely to exacerbate the concerns of industry leaders and developers who feared that a Johnson mayoralty would make it harder for ambitious developments to gain planning approval.

The statutory role of deputy mayor will be filled by Richard Barnes, Conservative leader on the London Assembly. Kit Malthouse, a newly elected assembly member and former deputy leader of Westminster council, will be in Mr Johnson's "cabinet" as a deputy mayor for policing. Mr Malthouse will chair the Metropolitan Police Authority until October, when the law changes to allow Mr Johnson to take the role.

Ian Clement, leader of Bexley council, where voters overwhelmingly backed Mr Johnson, was named a deputy mayor with responsibility for government relations.

The appointments came after David Cameron, national leader of the Conservatives, insisted his party would not micromanage Mr Johnson's administration.

"I'll work very closely with Boris . . . I will be there if he wants to ask my advice and vice versa. But it is now his mayoralty, his decisions, his appointments," the Conservative leader said.

However, Mr Cameron conceded that the London mayoralty would be seen as a strong indicator of how a Conservative government would operate. He cited Mr Johnson's pledges on crime and cutting out administrative waste as areas that gave a foretaste of the party's national policies.

"I don't like the expression 'test bed'," Mr Cameron said. "But it you look at what Boris's policies are and some of the things he's going to do in London, those are things where people can see good Conservative policies come through."

Westminster council was one of the most fervent opponents of the granting of beefed-up planning powers to the mayor, warning that the enthusiasm of Ken Livingstone, the former mayor, for skyscrapers across the capital would "blight central London's skyline".

During the campaign, Mr Johnson had attacked Mr Livingstone's backing of skyscrapers that obliterated historic views and pledged to remove the tall buildings policy from the London plan.

Tony Travers, director of the Greater London Group at the London School of Economics, said the Johnson administration meant the end of new towers outside the existing clusters of the City and Canary Wharf, in London's south-east.

He said: "I think it's very unlikely we will see any tall buildings in and around -Victoria, Westminster or Kensington and Chelsea after this."

The appointment of Sir Simon also appears to fulfil Mr Johnson's vow to work more closely with the boroughs on planning issues. Whereas Mr Livingstone often clashed with boroughs over large planning applications, Mr Travers said the new administration was likely to lessen such disputes which could create more certainty in the planning process.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #1218
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

That Boris Johnson, UNESCO, Sir Simon and all NIMBYS need to be rounded up, caged on empty land and atom bombed to the ground and atom bombed again for good measure, Tsar bomb sized too.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #1219
Buyckske Ruben

Eileen House,

The scheme is to be 47 floors and 143 metres tall.

Developer: Oakmayne Properties,
Place: Elephant and Castle in London
Architects: Allies and Morrison Architects.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1220
wjfox
Futurist

Oh Jesus...

--

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3908506.ece

Skyline review

Boris Johnson is planning to topple Ken Livingstone뭩 schemes for skyscrapers in London.

Johnson뭩 team are determined to preserve the capital뭩 skyline, but privately fear that hopes of blocking some projects could descend into a legal quagmire, with developers and architects seeking compensation.

The new mayor has appointed Sir Simon Milton to lead a review of all high-rises planned for the capital. The Westminster councillor became a strident critic of Livingstone뭩 plans.

Milton said earlier this year: [Livingstone] has made it very clear that he and his people want more tall buildings.

밫his fetish for tall buildings anywhere and everywhere will be a disaster for London.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom