daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #1241
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Green light for Croydon Gateway development.

Vibrant development in 'London's third city' regeneration gets go-ahead
Berkeley Homes’ £140million residential development, designed by Rolfe Judd architects and an important component in the regeneration of Croydon, London, has received planning permission. The scheme will provide 739 apartments in a 44 storey residential tower and courtyard development, many of them affordable, and a new public square.

Croydon is London's largest Borough by population and is situated to the south of the city. While it is already a successful centre for business and arts the area is undergoing a regeneration, Croydon Vison 2020, which hopes to see the area become 'London's third city'. £2billion is to be invested in the area over the next ten years.

The Romans introduced the crocus to Britain, and the name of Croydon may have been derived from the Latin for crocus and valley. The tower’s vibrant pixelated colour scheme reflects the hues of the purple-petal saffron crocus with its vivid orange stigmas. The historic references are appropriate for a tower that sits centrally at the gateway to the town, the modulating colour suggestive of this element of Croydon’s long history.

As such, the outer surface is designed to assume quite an uncompromising idiom folding and wrapping to form the inner enclosure which, by contrast, is moulded in a soft, curvilinear way.

The design dictates a dialogue between two realms, outer and inner, and creates a dramatic backdrop for the resulting landscaped courtyard.

source: worldarchitecturenews
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1242
london lad

Likes (Received): 2259

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3116482

Battersea Power Station - images

19 June, 2008

By Will Hurst

The first images of Rafael Viñoly's mixed-use design for Battersea Power Station have been revealed.

Owner and developer Real Estate Opportunities (REO) is aiming for the £4 billion scheme to become a zero carbon exemplar, BD's sister paper Property Week is due to report on Friday.

REO, part of Irish firm Treasury, aims to restore the derelict Grade II*-listed power station and convert it into a range of uses including apartments, retail, and a hotel while the remainder of the site will host a range of residential and office uses within a transparent structure topped by a 300m-high tower.

The tower itself appears to echo the chimneys of Giles Gilbert Scott’s power station itself.

[IMG]http://i27.************/1zi6mg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/33kpxk4.jpg[/IMG]
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #1243
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Okey dokey. I wasn't expecting anything like this wehn I heard about the re-design!
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1244
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

London is freaking... what projects . These city is making the launch for the future no doubt about that.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1245
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

Star Trek city! Im hating that huge glass roof. Looks like a glorified mall.
The old Parkview proposal was INFINITELY more complex, sophisticated and urban.

The tower wont happen anyway and we'll just end up with a bunch of non-descript metal and glass vinoly behemoths :0(
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM   #1246
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

I don't know of any mall with a glass roof that impressive, do you?
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM   #1247
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

"glorified"
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1248
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14157

I prefer the London with the small buildings instead of all that highrise...

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM   #1249
skydive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

exactly, these new high rise buildings look crap, have crap names and will be hugely expensive to rent or buy. while building them, they cause lots of traffic jams and nuisance.
skydive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1250
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

lol amazing comments as usual.
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #1251
skydive
BANNED

glad you found it informative
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #1252
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

i love london and i like most of the projects that are proposed but i do think that sensoring them should be done and that the taller projects should only be allowed in certain parts of London otherwise im all for these developments.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #1253
skydive
BANNED

i would prefer the money be spent on repairing the poth holed roads
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #1254
CrazyMac
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
And id prefer it if people like you, who obviously have no love for skyscrapers in London, would stay out of the forums.

As it seems you have only joined the forum so you can slag off skyscraper developments in London.

But we dont always get what we want....do we.
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #1255
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
It's governments who are supposed to do that, not private developers. I tell you what, next time before you make stupid comments, make sure you have been properly educated first.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #1256
skydive
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMac View Post
And id prefer it if people like you, who obviously have no love for skyscrapers in London, would stay out of the forums.

As it seems you have only joined the forum so you can slag off skyscraper developments in London.

there is no need for sky scrappers in London, the rental is high enough aldready, and these new fangled buildings wont be cheap to rent either. Last month i passed by the gherkin and it was more than half empty. Building these skyscrappers will cause extreme congention in our poorly built and designed roads. Terminal 5 heathrow has been a disaster and embarassment at the openeing and the olympic village in east london is a ticking time bomb that will produce some spectacular embarassment. Money would be better spent on things like better hospitals and roads.
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #1257
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

At least learn to spell "skyscrapers" properly.
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1258
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3116807&c=1

Glenkerrin to build new London landmark

10:57 | 26.06.08

By Harriet Beckham, Harreit Beckham

Developer Glenkerrin is to reveal its plans for a new landmark building for Docklands, designed by Foster and Partners.

It is planned for the site of the City Pride Public House on Westferry Road.

The development plans include a 63 storey residential tower, above a 200 bedroom five star hotel.

Comprising of 410 residential units, it includes one, two and three bed apartments and 8 penthouses.

Ray Grehan, chief executive of the Glenkerrin Group, said: ‘Our plans aim to contribute to the future success of Docklands and London.’
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1259
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMac View Post

Thats such a stupid thing to write. You have to hear everyones opinions on this subject. Everyone's comments are based on what they think is best for London. I personally hate a lot of tall buildings that are beings proposed, think there are too many in the wrong location and that we need to be very selective. Not all tall buildings are good and most people on this forum would probably agree that its all about quality not quantity. This might be a skyscraper forum, but its not specifically a skyscraper lovers forum is it!!
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #1260
Newcastle Guy

Fantastic At 63 stories it will likely be the tallest residential scheme in the UK, I reckon it will be around 190m-200m.

Quote:
there is no need for sky scrappers in London, the rental is high enough aldready, and these new fangled buildings wont be cheap to rent either. Last month i passed by the gherkin and it was more than half empty. Building these skyscrappers will cause extreme congention in our poorly built and designed roads. Terminal 5 heathrow has been a disaster and embarassment at the openeing and the olympic village in east london is a ticking time bomb that will produce some spectacular embarassment. Money would be better spent on things like better hospitals and roads.
You just don't understand how this works, do you? The Olympics, for example, are a GOVERNMENT project, the same as hospitals and roads. These skyscrapers are PRIVATE developments. Why should developers give their own money, that they have earned, to do up roads and hospitals and get nothing back in return? Developers DO give money to help the local environment, depending on the scheme. But they don't tend to give up their money if they are building a silly little 10 floor block.

Take the new plans for Victoria. Land Securities were planning to invest hundreds of millions of pounds in the local area, the station etc... Because the scheme included tall buildings, they have been forced to scale it down. Now, considering they are going to make much less money from it, they have decided to pull the funding. But hey ho, I'm sure the NIMBYs are chuffed.

The Shard is another, London Bridge Station will be totally rebuilt in that scheme. So, really, I think you need to educate yourself a bit more on this subject before making those silly arguments.

Plus, the designs for our towers are some of the best in the world, especially in the city and Southwark. Have some bloody pride man.

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom