daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:15 PM   #12641
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
After having visited Singapore I've become quite fond of shopping malls. They provide an attractive space where to shop, eat and drink (not to mention free wi-fi).
I visited Edmonton and their mall is the most soul crushing place on Earth. There's a 1:1 scale replica of the Santa Maria in the middle of the food court. I saw a fat kid eating McDonalds on the deck in a pirate hat made out of foam. Nearly had a total mental breakdown from just a few hours in there. I hate malls. They're almost universally awful. I'll take a highstreet over a mall any day of the week.

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:31 PM   #12642
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
The trouble with all of this is nowhere is 'de-gentrifying'; everything is on the trajectory of upwards, and forcing people who can't afford that further and further out, resulting in a hollowed out centre where only the rich can afford.

Why were these areas like Dalston 1995 cheap in the first place? Because they were a result of being on the wrong side of town, of not being attractive places to live because they had nothing there. Will we ever see a cycle where the industry that left the buzzy East end Docklands of yesteryear causing it to become a backwater, ripe for redevelopment, happen again anywhere in London? Will one day the City and Canary Wharf become derelict areas if the finance industry goes the way of the dockers? Otherwise you're going to get to a point where there is nothing left to gentrify and regenerate, and then what happens?
De gentrification is happening in the Suburbs. Not all of them, but there are plenty that are a shadow of themselves compared to the 1980's. Not just the town centres, but the residential areas, with gardens in disrepair and homes in multiple occupation.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:33 PM   #12643
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60335

100 Bishopsgate | City of London EC2

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=354677

Official website: http://www.100bishopsgate.com/

Project facts
  • Address: 100 Bishopsgate, London EC2
  • Developer: Brookfield
  • Architect: Allies and Morisson
  • Height: 172m
  • Floors: 40

Site activity at 100 Bishopsgate, photos by chest:

lafreak84, Union Man, hugh, JimB, PortoNuts and 3 others liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #12644
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Again, struck with how much the base reminds me of San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid.
Old January 24th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #12645
SE9
South East Nine

West End Project | Camden WC1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1731321

Official website: http://www.camden.gov.uk/westendproject

Project facts
  • Architect: DSDHA Architects
  • Cost: £41 million ($62m)
  • No cars on Tottenham Court Road (8am-7pm)
  • 6 new public spaces
  • Widened pavements

Camden Council has approved the West End Project:

- LCC: West End Project plans approved by Camden Council

- ITV News: Cars and lorries to be banned from Tottenham Court Road

- BBC News: Tottenham Court Road to be 'transformed' in £41m revamp

Old January 24th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #12646
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

@Bricks
You're always whining about change, but London is far more exciting now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. It's cleaner, safer, better paved, better lit, has better nightlife, better shops, better restaurants, and better architecture. Aside from the loss of a handful of old buildings (and I mean literally a handful - nearly all new buildings are replacing something shitty), London is far better in almost every way. Yes property's more expensive than before, but then it's far more desirable now, so what do you expect?
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Quicksilver, lafreak84, VDB, RSena11, Bligh liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #12647
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
De gentrification is happening in the Suburbs. Not all of them, but there are plenty that are a shadow of themselves compared to the 1980's. Not just the town centres, but the residential areas, with gardens in disrepair and homes in multiple occupation.
Which suburbs do you have in mind?
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #12648
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Give it a rest. Why play dumb when you know exactly what I was getting at? Or are my statements inappropriate just because this is supposed to be the positive thread where London is being sold to the world? I mean a lot of these issues have been raised and discussed in the UK section, and are by no means controversial. We can keep this thread all nice and rosy for all I care, but it won't reflect reality and simply there evidently is a need and interest to discuss these matters.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #12649
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Give it a rest. Why play dumb when you know exactly what I was getting at? Or are my statements inappropriate just because this is supposed to be the positive thread where London is being sold to the world? I mean a lot of these issues have been raised and discussed in the UK section, and are by no means controversial. We can keep this thread all nice and rosy for all I care, but it won't reflect reality and simply there evidently is a need and interest to discuss these matters.
yawn yawn, blah, blah...

Bricky, please stop inflicting your nonsense on those that visit this thread to try to keep up with immense amount of development going on in London.

Why not stick to the Helsinki thread, im sure you have a large and captive audience over there!
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #12650
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

It's the same old people who come on here criticising everything and anything London. If this city irks you so much, why not try an exciting city forum like bbcwallander suggests, Helsinki ?.
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #12651
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1949

Some immature responses to fair and reasoned critiscism...

Mr Bricks, streetscapeer, StephenP liked this post
AUTOTHRILL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #12652
SE9
South East Nine

Let's keep this thread on topic and for its intended purpose (development and construction updates) to avert this type of sideshow.

Whether you think current growth and development is making London a regressing, boring place or an improving, exciting place, may I point forumers to Speakers' Corner for a plethora of related discussions.

hugh, AbidM, Bligh liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #12653
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 804

The Tottenham Ct Rd/Gower Street improvements look great, such a change from the 50s and 60s urban highway planning mentality. Returning two way traffic to these major north-south routes will hopefully end the days of these streets being urban racetracks with intermittent traffic lights (at least Gower Street). One assumes this is only possible due to the central London congestion charging.

Infinite Jest liked this post
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #12654
GB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
Some immature responses to fair and reasoned critiscism...
No just ppl who are fed up with constant whinging, when a point is discussed and rebutted but have to read page after page of the same redundant point.
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #12655
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 300

I really like that West End Project, it's simple but will be a big face lift.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #12656
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
No just ppl who are fed up with constant whinging, when a point is discussed and rebutted but have to read page after page of the same redundant point.
Nonsense. We've been here before a million times. A British forumer states x in the UK section. Civilised and educated discussion follows. I state x in the world thread. Which follows then is a torrent of quasi-xenophobic nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. I though the residents of globalized, cosmopolitan and tolerant London were above all that. But then again, maybe I'll just add an inspirational quote by Samuel Johnson to my profile and just shut it from now on.

Let's move on.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #12657
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Nonsense. We've been here before a million times. A British forumer states x in the UK section. Civilised and educated discussion follows. I state x in the world thread. Which follows then is a torrent of quasi-xenophobic nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. I though the residents of globalized, cosmopolitan and tolerant London were above all that. But then again, maybe I'll just add an inspirational quote by Samuel Johnson to my profile and just shut it from now on.

Let's move on.
Theres a reason you only have 377 likes, against a very large 5,748 posts.
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #12658
GB1

There's people's problem right there, you come on here, give your opinion and people either agree or disagree (I agreed with your "darkside " point) but when someone disagree 's with your view . The childish remarks start, trying to belittle a forumers view, when they won't agree with you. If responding with just words like nonsense etc and accusing people of xenophobia. Then maybe you should keep quiet.

Last edited by GB1; January 25th, 2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #12659
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcwallander View Post
Theres a reason you only have 377 likes, against a very large 5,748 posts.
well hes been contributing here a lot longer than you. likes have only been available for about 15 months.
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #12660
-

[edit]

Last edited by 909; January 25th, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom