daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #12681
aclifford

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Another gay bar being forced out of Soho.

#savetheyard

The Yard bar and restaurant in Rupert Street is fighting development plans to cover the hugely popular, picturesque and last remaining Victorian open stable yard in Soho and dig down to create a large new basement. The developer is also keen to build three new flats over the bar and an historic timber pitched roof would be lost.

The Yard, which is independently run, has been given just a week’s notice that Westminster City Council intends to give the plans approval at a committee meeting next Tuesday, 27 January. The Yard needs your support to help stop this development.

http://www.qxmagazine.com/blog-event/savetheyard/

As well as 'Koreatown' at Centre Point wiped out.

http://londonist.com/2015/01/centre-...-crossrail.php
Jesus, that was one of the few places left in Soho with any character that wasn't snooty or horrific like G.A.Y. bar.

Some People may prefer Soho as it is becoming, but having worked there on and off for over a decade I am saddened at the loss of so many bars and clubs. There are more people now but far fewer places to go to dance or have a drink. As an area for eating sure it is great, but for people looking for an accessible nightlife it has become an embarrassment.

jonasry liked this post
aclifford no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #12682
Bligh

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Half-trillion pound 'Thames City' would create new Southern Powerhouse

GLA Conservatives
25 January 2015

Great stuff! In all honesty thos of us who are on the Essex/London borders saw it coming; especially because of the 'Thames Gateway' project and what not. It makes sense.

I agree with you SE9... just call it Greater London lol
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #12683
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7491

Quote:
London's homes are worth as much as Brazil's economy

The real estate boom has added $1.5 trillion to the value of British homes over the past five years and left London residential property worth as much as Brazil's economy.

Research by estate agents Savills shows U.K. houses and apartments were worth £5.75 trillion ($8.7 trillion) in 2014, an increase of almost one trillion pounds since 2009.

London's stock of homes is now worth as much as Brazil's annual GDP -- $2.2 trillion.

The city's economy has rebounded strongly since the financial crash and that has been reflected in soaring house prices. They're up 61% in the last five years, and 20% last year alone, although there are signs that the pace is slowing.

The gains have been driven by a combination of stronger domestic demand and an influx of cash from wealthy Russian and Chinese buyers.

Properties in two of London's most expensive boroughs -- Westminster, and Kensington and Chelsea -- are together worth $345 billion. That's more than the GDP of Denmark, the world's 35th biggest economy.

While prices have been rising in almost every region of the country, the number of homes financed by a mortgage has fallen by 800,000 in five years. Younger workers are finding it harder to save the down payments and are renting in ever greater numbers instead.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/13/real...estate-brazil/
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #12684
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclifford View Post
Jesus, that was one of the few places left in Soho with any character that wasn't snooty or horrific like G.A.Y. bar.

Some People may prefer Soho as it is becoming, but having worked there on and off for over a decade I am saddened at the loss of so many bars and clubs. There are more people now but far fewer places to go to dance or have a drink. As an area for eating sure it is great, but for people looking for an accessible nightlife it has become an embarrassment.
Yeah I see your viewpoint and you're completely right. But it is what it is... areas change I guess.

Personally I've never been into Soho nightlife. Always preferred Camden and Shoreditch.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old January 26th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #12685
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
haha another little dig at me. I'm always polite and friendly to you and you. I always respect your opinions regardless of whether I agree of them.
You know what, that is your problem. What people need to learn is not to respect the opinion of others, I mean why would you do that if you find what they say to be utterly false? I am not one of those people who go around feeling offended by everything and everyone (which seems to be so popular these days), however, ignorance backed up by "opinions" and "feelings" is something that always needs to be shot down. You probably have interests you know a lot about but clearly politics, history or urban matters are not among them so please in the future approach these subject with the utmost carefulness. Because what you're doing now goes beyond being rude, you are hijacking a potentially interesting discussion with relativist nonsense. Sorry for my bad manners.

That's all. Let's get back on topic.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #12686
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
read what hes saying. hes saying it is becoming dull. and hes right, everything hes said is true.
Then he's still wrong. London isn't dull now, and it's not becoming dull either. It's becoming more diverse and interesting by the day. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't know what the city is like now, or doesn't know what it was like even five years ago, to form an accurate comparison.

Are there areas of London that are becoming dull? Sure. But the sheer quantity of slums and skidrow districts that have become vibrant communities in recent times far outweighs any city banker commercialization that you imagine is going on.

As for the comment about London only being worthwhile if you're rich, well I say again, that's only the case if you need culture spoonfed to you on a platter. There's enough excitement for a thousand lifetimes just waiting to be uncovered, but unfortunately for some, it requires stepping off the starbucks-lined, guardian-approved well beaten track.

JimB liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #12687
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
You know what, that is your problem. What people need to learn is not to respect the opinion of others, I mean why would you do that if you find what they say to be utterly false? I am not one of those people who go around feeling offended by everything and everyone (which seems to be so popular these days), however, ignorance backed up by "opinions" and "feelings" is something that always needs to be shot down. You probably have interests you know a lot about but clearly politics, history or urban matters are not among them so please in the future approach these subject with the utmost carefulness. Because what you're doing now goes beyond being rude, you are hijacking a potentially interesting discussion with relativist nonsense. Sorry for my bad manners.

That's all. Let's get back on topic.
Firstly, people like you is the reason the world is going downhill. i.e. lack of respect and manners.

Show me where I have been politically or historically inaccurate. Literally show me where I have said something that proves that I know nothing of these 3 things... because as my memory serves I do not recall me commenting anything inaccurate that would lead you to believe that I am not knowledgeable in these matters.

Also; for what's it's worth I enjoy all 3 of those subjects. I'm just open minded.

Nor did I 'hijack' the conversation. You were the one who has brought me into this multiple times.

Note to Others: I am so sorry that I have to write this off-topic post, but I just can't let this ignorant person tell me that I am uneducated in 3 topics that I quite enjoy.
~

L O N D O N
~

djm160190 liked this post

Last edited by Bligh; January 26th, 2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added 2nd section.
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #12688
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
haha another little dig at me. I'm always polite and friendly to you and you. I always respect your opinions regardless of whether I agree of them.

I think what people get annoyed at is not your opinions - but the way you go about expressing them. I've met toddlers with better manners than you I'm afraid.

There is literally no reason why you shouldn't have more manners and say things a little more softly. Of course; this is your choice.

Sorry for going off subject guys... I'm going to try and avoid these sort of debates in the future. It's a waste of time.
Bligh - Its actually a very good quote, and very apt considering this ongoing conversation.

I would provide a famous quote about Helsinki for Bricky, but I literally cant think of anything.

Oh, hold on, here is one... from Die Hard (1988)

Gail Wallens:
Author of "Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A study in duality." Dr. Hasseldorf, what can we expect in the next few hours?
Dr. Hasseldorf:
Well, Gail, by this time the hostages will be going through the early stages of the Helsinki Syndrome.
Harvey Johnson:
As in Helsinki, Sweden.
Dr. Hasseldorf:
Finland.

Bligh liked this post
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #12689
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61452

New Ludgate | City of London EC4

London forum thread:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1427840

Official website: http://newludgate.com/

Project facts
  • Address: 1 & 2 New Ludgate, London EC4
  • Developer: Land Securities
  • Architect: Fletcher Priest Architects
  • Cost: £260 million ($395m)
  • Total floorspace: 35,000m²

Nearing completion, photos by DarJoLe:

lafreak84, LionHeart1503, GB1, yeisson liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #12690
SE9
South East Nine

Riverwalk | Westminster SW1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1679244

Official website: http://www.riverwalk.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: 157-161 Millbank, London SW1
  • Developer: Ronson Capital Partners
  • Architect: Stanton Williams
  • Floors: 17
  • Homes: 113

Riverwalk across Vauxhall Bridge. Photo by Mr Cladding:

Riverwalk (UC) by Rukuphotos, on Flickr

LionHeart1503 liked this post
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #12691
SE9
South East Nine

South Bank Tower | South Bank SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=429988

Official website: http://www.southbanktower.com/

Project facts
  • Address: South Bank Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1
  • Developer: CIT
  • Architect: Kohn Pedersen Fox
  • Height: 151m
  • Floors: 41

South Bank Tower close to topping out. Photo by Jim Howard:

Construction time by Speckled Jim, on Flickr
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #12692
SE9
South East Nine

Gateway Pavilions | Greenwich Peninsula SE10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=632984

Official website: http://www.greenwichpeninsula.co.uk/...way-pavilions/

Project facts
  • Developer: Knight Dragon
  • Architect: Marks Barfield
  • Use: Marketing hub and NOW Art Gallery

The completed pavilions:

Damo, PortoNuts, #Alex liked this post
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #12693
SE9
South East Nine

The Telegraph Works | Greenwich Peninsula SE10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=632984

Official website: http://telegraph-works.com/

Project facts
  • Address: Alcatel-Lucent, Christchurch Way, London SE10
  • Developer: Dev Sec and Weston Homes
  • Architect: AHMM
  • Homes: 272

Development Securities have signed a joint venture agreement with Weston Homes to deliver The Telegraph Works:

- Building: Weston enters JV with Dev Secs on Greenwich Peninsula

- Property Week: Cathedral signs JV with Weston Homes at Telegraph Works

- Alliance News: Development Securities Signs Greenwich Site Deal With Weston Homes

Old January 26th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #12694
SE9
South East Nine

Centre Point Redevelopment | WC1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=679472

Official website: http://www.centrepointblog.com/

Project facts
  • Address: 101-103 New Oxford Street, London WC1
  • Developer: Almacantar
  • Architect: Rick Mather Architects, Conran and Partners
  • Homes: 82

The redevelopment of Centre Point has commenced:

- Building: Centre Point redevelopment starts on site

- ITV News: Centre Point development gets underway

- Financial Times: Centre Point moves to high-rise living

Old January 26th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #12695
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3667

Much needed improvement! The Paris thread is very popular, this thread overtook it an hour ago but within the last 40 minutes the Paris thread has had 12,000 views.
Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #12696
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Man View Post
Much needed improvement! The Paris thread is very popular, this thread overtook it an hour ago but within the last 40 minutes the Paris thread has had 12,000 views.
I noticed it too, I have screenshots of before and after if anybody can bothered to post them.

Those poor Parisians, so desperate to be ahead of London, they do this every couple of weeks. Very sad.
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #12697
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

I suggest to permanently ban anyone mentioning Paris thread views here from this moment on. Either that or resign as mods because you're not doing your job properly. I come here for London development news and I'm sick and tired of reading about thread views and Paris in general.

alexandru.mircea, Stravinsky liked this post
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #12698
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Centre Point Redevelopment | WC1
Awesome, I'll be following this thread closely, I love projects like this
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #12699
JimB

Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
I suggest to permanently ban anyone mentioning Paris thread views here from this moment on. Either that or resign as mods because you're not doing your job properly. I come here for London development news and I'm sick and tired of reading about thread views and Paris in general.
Hark at bossy boots!

I happen to find this Paris thread view mystery fascinating. Besides which, yours is a massive overreaction. The subject probably constitutes fewer than one in 500 posts on this thread. Rather than banning people who discuss it here, I'd far rather that the Mods put their sleuthing caps on and get to the bottom of it.

My money's on Professor Moriarty.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #12700
SE9
South East Nine

Canada Water Masterplan | Canada Water SE16

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1791156

Official website: http://canadawatermasterplan.com/

Project facts
  • Developer: British Land
  • Homes: 2,500
  • Student accommodation: 1,000
  • Office space: 82,000m²
  • Commercial space: 82,500m²

Early stage plans for the multi-billion regeneration of Canada Water in south east London:

JustWatch, lafreak84 liked this post

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom