daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2015, 04:55 PM   #12761
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1652

It is - although the aerial shots tell you how far it still has to go.

The office buildings are good, no denying, but I'm looking forward to the coal drops and triplets going up.

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:28 PM   #12762
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

Has anyone got a render with all the marsh wall developments ?.
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:59 PM   #12763
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60316

There isn't one.
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:29 AM   #12764
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

The reason I asked, was that I read an article in the wharf. Where a local councillor objected to the hight of the quay house development as he'd seen a render of all the marsh wall developments in one. Which he thought it looked like Hong Kong.

Last edited by GB1; February 1st, 2015 at 12:44 AM.
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:52 AM   #12765
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7167

Quote:
London ‘Can of Ham’ tower to start by late spring

The delayed 90m tall proposed London office tower dubbed the Can of Ham will start construction in the second quarter of this year.

Developer TIAA Henderson Real Estate has confirmed a start date and that Mace is on board as the early stage contractor for the 24-storey office tower.

The building, which will be erected at 60-70 Mary Axe next to the Gherkin, was initially launched by developer Targetfollow but was delayed by the onset of the global financial crisis.

When the developer entered administration in 2011 it was sold to TIAA-CREF.

The glazed building has been designed to be extremely energy efficient.

Vertical shading fins to the curved facades and glazed double wall cladding to the end elevations reduce solar heat gains to the office space.

Other low energy measures, such as borehole thermal energy storage and energy piles, result in a design with very low carbon emissions.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...y-late-spring/
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #12766
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7167

Quote:
Race starts for £25m London refurb deal

Network Rail is looking for a contractor to carry-out an office refurbishment job in central London worth up to £25m. Work will involve revamping the building at One Puddle Dock near Blackfriars Station.

The winning contractor will refurbish the six-storeys of offices to create a new home for 580 Network Rail staff and retail facilities on the ground floor.

Network Rail said: “The works will either be tendered on a single or 2-stage procurement route which will lead to a Design and Build Contract.

“Network Rail will seek assurance around the Stage 1 costs and outturn cost and may implement a guaranteed maximum price. The works must be completed on site by March 2016.”

The estimated contract value is £16m-£25m.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...n-refurb-deal/

lafreak84 liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM   #12767
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Great news, thanks for the link mate.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:31 PM   #12768
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Awesome, The can of ham should be interesting to watch!

The curving exterior fins should look quite elegant
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:50 PM   #12769
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1664

I thought the Can of Ham was long dead in the water!
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 01:06 PM   #12770
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN N7 View Post
I thought the Can of Ham was long dead in the water!
So did I! I love the way that a month ago I thought this was completely dead, and in that space of time they have announced that constuction will be in a few months time.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 2nd, 2015, 01:17 PM   #12771
AbidM

Likes (Received): 1341

Hello may I just add that I believe the can of ham should go to where it belongs, where's that you may ask (?) THE SHELF! Only kidding, or am I?? Do I also believe, the cheesegrater needs to go back to kitchen drawers, the gherkin back to the grocery basket, the helter skelter back to Brighton pier, the shard back to the ice bergs and the walkie talkie back to my hands, do I believe all needs to go where it belongs? YES.

The fact that many people talk about making Iconic buildings and add odd, quirky names really is something strange, let me tell (you might not agree) but we need to abolish this use of the word 'Iconic' and instead replace and use the word 'Conceptual'. Now people may argue what's the difference? One major difference is, that unlike Iconic, conceptual propels us forward, it inspire innovative designs and pushes us to the boundaries, we need buildings that certainly do that, oh and of course, money is factor to most skyscraper development, but really it only takes one. (And by no means do I find 20 fenchurch 'conceptual at all, even if it has a roof garden.) Encourage, Inspire and Innovate, remember, do not think of ICONS, think of CONCEPT. The differences are huge.
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York
AbidM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:37 PM   #12772
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidM View Post
Hello may I just add that I believe the can of ham should go to where it belongs, where's that you may ask (?) THE SHELF! Only kidding, or am I?? Do I also believe, the cheesegrater needs to go back to kitchen drawers, the gherkin back to the grocery basket, the helter skelter back to Brighton pier, the shard back to the ice bergs and the walkie talkie back to my hands, do I believe all needs to go where it belongs? YES.

The fact that many people talk about making Iconic buildings and add odd, quirky names really is something strange, let me tell (you might not agree) but we need to abolish this use of the word 'Iconic' and instead replace and use the word 'Conceptual'. Now people may argue what's the difference? One major difference is, that unlike Iconic, conceptual propels us forward, it inspire innovative designs and pushes us to the boundaries, we need buildings that certainly do that, oh and of course, money is factor to most skyscraper development, but really it only takes one. (And by no means do I find 20 fenchurch 'conceptual at all, even if it has a roof garden.) Encourage, Inspire and Innovate, remember, do not think of ICONS, think of CONCEPT. The differences are huge.
Hmmmm.... I see your points but I don't quite agree. Photography is a passion of mine and I find London's skyline and these individual towers beautifully inspiring.

Indeed, some are more 'iconic' than others. I believe that The Shard and The Gherkin are truly icons of London - especially the latter.

Personally, I'd rather have a bunch of well designed and quirky towers with food/object-related nicknames than a bunch of grey boxes because that just isn't London. I think the Can of Ham is a welcomed addition to the familia.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:59 PM   #12773
David Louis

Likes (Received): 108

The Gherkin is a masterpiece, but other buildings of City of London are very bad, IMHO. Too much bizarre, unusual things was putted into a small area. Canary Wharf is much better.
David Louis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:04 PM   #12774
potto

Likes (Received): 9106

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidM View Post
Hello...
Really don't get your point. All of the other buildings you list have very clear concepts that dictated their form, even 20 Fenchurch St whether you like it or not.

I doubt that "the can of ham" will become particularly iconic, but why can't a shape be a concept, especially if it has to join in a very prestigious area of the city?

So basically you are merely ranting at the fact that the public/media have given a few buildings playful nicknames, but why would positive public engagement be a particularly bad thing even if it irritates you?

Bligh, Highrisetower319 liked this post
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:17 PM   #12775
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6362

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Louis View Post
Canary Wharf is much better.
It really isn't.

AUTOTHRILL, Union Man liked this post
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:20 PM   #12776
potto

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Louis View Post
The Gherkin is a masterpiece, but other buildings of City of London are very bad, IMHO. Too much bizarre, unusual things was putted into a small area. Canary Wharf is much better.
How can the Gherkin be a masterpiece in your opinion but Canary Wharf be much better when the ethos that formed the Gherkin is completely the antithesis that formed Canary Wharf?

Sure the City is a relatively small area and full of bizarre and unusual things, it has had to endure a 2000 year human history all within a square mile. Which is surely what makes it so fascinating... unlike say Canary Wharf.

Bligh, Union Man, Highrisetower319 liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:38 PM   #12777
David Louis

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
How can the Gherkin be a masterpiece in your opinion but Canary Wharf be much better when the ethos that formed the Gherkin is completely the antithesis that formed Canary Wharf?
Why not. And I'm talking about architecture, not history.
David Louis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:58 PM   #12778
potto

The Gherkin would never have been built in value-engineering orientated Canary Wharf.

Curious about which view points and which buildings in the City that you particularly have a problem. In the old city of spires the only bits I find ugly and disconcerting are those where rectangular blocks of indistinguishable height merge together to form even fatter featureless silhouettes, something which could be used to describe the entire Canary Wharf cluster (from some angles)

I can't quite make the leap from a couple of new glass office buildings with a few angles other than 90 degrees, or shock horror a subtle curve, to the accusations of bizarre and unusual. Especially as such design aesthetics are found all over the world and within the history books of architecture!

Interestingly Canary Wharf group are taking a leaf out of the City of London approach with their Wood Wharf expansion. Something to do with trying to up the prestige and attract a more creative clientele.

Bligh liked this post

Last edited by potto; February 2nd, 2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:28 PM   #12779
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

The only building in Canary Wharf that I could pick out of a lineup is 1 Canada Square. I literally couldn't describe any of the others, besides the logos that appear on the outside of the superstructure. And I used to be able to see CW outside my lounge window everyday.

It's a completely homogeneous blob of buildings with no discernible character, apart from 'hey, isn't this like America?'.

I think pretty much any skyscraper fan could identify the Gherkin. And Leadenhall. And probably Fenchurch. And possibly Lloyds.

Yes, Canary Wharf is a more cohesive district. There's a lot to be said about the scatterbrain approach to the City itself, and how it detracts from the overall vista. But the style that's emerging with Leadenhall and Lime St and Bishopsgate is certainly bringing it together.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:48 PM   #12780
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5844

Ive always loved the HSBC building in Canary Wharf, its tactile curved esdges and reflective glass, just a classy but simply designed building

HSBC Tower by John Mason, on Flickr

HSBC, Canary Wharf by EEPaul, on Flickr

I think a lot of criticism is placed on Canary Wharfs buildings but there are gems among what are generally good quality buildings.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom