daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1321
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 68

*From the London forum

HERON IS NOW RISING!! 1 month before the schedule!

Pictures from fitz44:

Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #1322
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Great . THANKS!

And they continu with tall buildings in London is absolutly amazing!

New Eco Tower Planned For Vauxhall.

The nascent cluster of tall buildings at Vauxhall in London could be getting another tower if plans by Amin Taha Associates and Carey Jones are approved.

Vauxhall Sky Gardens is being developed by Fairbriar Projects. The scheme will sit on a site off Wyvil Road and Wandsworth Road about a third of a mile south west of Vauxhall Station. The plot already has a number of tall buildings in the immediate vicinity including Keybridge House practically next door and Market Towers only 100 or metres to the north.

The scheme features a 35 storey tower rising to 120 metres in height with attached 3 to 6 storey tall podium. It will offer 9,000 square metres of office space plus accommodation for 178 new apartments, 229 square metres of retail and 33 spaces for cars to park in.

The scheme will be clad entirely in glass of varying shades creating a patchwork of differing transparencies although the notable part of the design is two very visible skygardens.

These are not intended to just be the odd fake plastic tree but rather triple height communal areas tall enough to plant trees in and serve all year round as winter gardens. The lower garden level will be on the 8th floor whilst the upper one stands on the top of the tower, something that along with the glass should provide a living translucent green crown.

Adding even more greenery to the interior of the building will be mini winter gardens contained in balconies that all the apartments will have, even the affordable ones.

Above the roof the aim is to cover much of it in solar panels to generate electricity, some 300 square metres in all which will generate enough electricity for 1% of the schemes power requirements. Underground further power generation will be made from a combined heat pump generating an additional 1% of the building power.

Added up with improvements to the design of the scheme over the average today there should be total savings in emissions of 30%.

The end result is a tower, that if approved will be highly visible behind St George Wharf when viewed from places Westminster Bridge making it rather uncontroversial. Environmentally it may be killer, but in skyline terms it's no thriller.

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #1323
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
If all of the planned schemes go forward, there would be 44 100m+ highrises in the cluster, amazing for a European city.
Well, in La Défense there are 39 100m+ highrises already built, and 10 more planned before 2015, if I'm not forgetting any (I usually don't keep track of buildings under 150 meters). So I don't know if it's amazing, but it's not a unique case in Europe.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #1324
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I was under the impression that La Defense was much more spread out and less dense than the Wharf though?

Edit: BTW, I'm not saying La Defense isn't amazing for a European cluster in terms of how many towers it has. There can be more than one amazing case of a cluster on a continent
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #1325
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

And remember,paris most of the buildings over 100 meters tall in the one cluster La Défense (Apart from a few).So in London as a whole there would be around 60 or 70 or maybe even 80 buildings approved,complete or under construction over 100 meters tall.

EDIT-from skyscraper news i got a number off 122 buildings over 100 metres tall,approved,U/C,complete,proposed or pre-planning(Excluding pre-planning the number would be about 112.

Last edited by jayo; October 11th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
jayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #1326
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
I was under the impression that La Defense was much more spread out and less dense than the Wharf though?
The official area of La Défense extends over 160 hectares (395 acres), but the heart of it, the concrete slab (la dalle) where most of the towers are located, extends only over 31 hectares (77 acres). These figures come from the La Défense Authority website. As for Canary Wharf, the area managed by Canary Wharf Group plc, which is known as "the Estate", extends over 97 acres (figure from the Canary Wharf Group website), but I don't know if all the towers are located in this area known as "the Estate" or if some are built beyond it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo View Post
And remember,paris most of the buildings over 100 meters tall in the one cluster La Défense (Apart from a few).So in London as a whole there would be around 60 or 70 or maybe even 80 buildings approved,complete or under construction over 100 meters tall.

EDIT-from skyscraper news i got a number off 122 buildings over 100 metres tall,approved,U/C,complete,proposed or pre-planning(Excluding pre-planning the number would be about 112.
In Greater Paris there are 74 100m+ buildings already built according to Skyscraperpage (only 39 of these are in La Défense, i.e. little more than half). I don't know if they have all the 100m+ towers in their database or if they are missing some. Then there are at least 17 100m+ buildings that are either under construction or planned/approved, but I don't usually keep track of towers between 100m and 150m in Greater Paris, so I could be forgetting some. So that's at least 91 100m+ buildings. The mayor of Paris is also due to anounce two or three more towers shortly, and several mayors in the inner suburbs are also due to make some anouncements.

In any case, since this is a skyscraper forum, I think it is more appropriate to make tallies of 150m+ buildings.
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #1327
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Double-checking on Skyscrapernews, I see the bulk of the buildings you mentioned are actually proposed buildings. In London, from what I've seen over the years, developers propose lots of buildings, but that doesn't mean they necessarily end up being built, far from it. In comparison, in Paris, developers tend to act behind the scenes and make little public proposals (Hermitage is a recent exception, but then Hermitage is a Russian group). When we hear about new towers in Greater Paris, they are usually already approved by the local council or with a great chance of being approved.

Also, I see you included telecom masts, stadiums and power stations in your tally, which I didn't include for Greater Paris. If we include only habitable buildings and churches, this is what we get.

100m+ buildings:
Code:
                       Greater London    Greater Paris
Already built                30               74
U/C & planned/approved       38               17 (maybe some missing)
Pre-planning                 11           2 to 3 in City of Paris, 2 in Issy,
                                          some in Clichy, St Ouen, Bagnolet, 
                                          possibly elsewhere
Proposed                     35               ??
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #1328
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 8

This isnt a comparison thread as far as Im aware.
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1329
jayo

ohh shut up.

Theres no harm in going off topic,once in a while.After-all this thread is about London.

Last edited by jayo; October 12th, 2008 at 01:43 PM.
jayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #1330
Newcastle Guy

"The official area of La Défense extends over 160 hectares (395 acres), but the heart of it, the concrete slab (la dalle) where most of the towers are located, extends only over 31 hectares (77 acres). These figures come from the La Défense Authority website. As for Canary Wharf, the area managed by Canary Wharf Group plc, which is known as "the Estate", extends over 97 acres (figure from the Canary Wharf Group website), but I don't know if all the towers are located in this area known as "the Estate" or if some are built beyond it."

Really? Hmm, that's interesting. La Defense always looks much less dense in pictures than Canary Wharf does.

This is how it works out for the whole of London for anyone interested:

200m+ 3 13
150m+ 9 38
100m+ 18 103
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1331
jayo

Quote:

200m+ 3 13
150m+ 9 38
100m+ 18 103
I don't get it.
Old October 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1332
tuten

Likes (Received): 1380

Ive been at the heart of both la defence and canary wharf, and while la defence has more towers, it doesnt seems as dence from ground level.

Oh and if your ever in Paris, don't walk to la defence like some silly french guy told me to.

Citius, Altius, Fortius.

Last edited by tuten; October 12th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #1333
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
ohh shut up.
jayo, no need to be rude.
This same argument, in other permutations has happened so many times before. Not every needs to be happy with it.
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #1334
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
I don't get it.
Ah, sorry. First number is built, second number is built and planned.
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #1335
jayo

ok thanks for that.
=)
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #1336
Newcastle Guy

New renderings from Hayes Davidson:

[IMG]http://i37.************/sw71uh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/15d8cvk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/2dhihxz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.************/2zh3w5d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/s1hh13.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/14oaw4p.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/294gx9v.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/6ris2c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/4llhsg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.************/334p89h.jpg[/IMG]

For anyone interested in New York proposals, the site also has projects from there!
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #1337
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Newcastle Guy!!!

YOU have posted stunning renders

but i have one to.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #1338
ldnbornandbred

Likes (Received): 1

^ amazing renders by both, but probably one of the best renders i have ever seen of the shard, amazing work Buyckske Ruben

btw as this is my first post, SUP PPL
ldnbornandbred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #1339
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 848

woaaaaaaaaaah that is one sweeeet render! I just love this lil cluster that is proposed for this area, it really will do wonders. But this tower looks as sexy as virtual structures can
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #1340
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6274

those are some of the most realistic renders Ive seen.

This is particularly impressive:

the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom