daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #13821
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Does London (UK, in general) tend to rely on conditional zoning to extract below market/affordable units, or does the city employ some kind of inclusionary zoning policy?

Also, on another note, as the city seems to have a better relationship with towns/communities in the region, have these other communities recognized their role in providing increased housing, or do they tend to act to limit development?

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #13822
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 11321

New Project : 51 College Road , former royal mail depot.

London Borough : Harrow
Developer : Hyde Group
Planning Application : P/0737/15

Involves the redevelopment of a former Post Office site on College Road

Development Facts
Homes : 318 (267 Market Sale , 51 mix of social rent and intermediate social housing)
A new commercial space
New library
82 car parking spaces
521 cycle spaces
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #13823
Infinite Jest

Likes (Received): 698

Agree about New York! I still think it is arguably the greatest city in the world. London is a very close second, but it has some catching up to do. As someone mentioned a few posts ago, New York has been attracting far more interesting architects for its big-ticket developments. Why isn't Zaha Hadid doing any luxury residential in London, for example? Her offices are here, she is here, so are the Middle Eastern clientele who could be a captive market, and yet there's nothing. Also, many of the great Japanese archiets like Tadao Ando have numerous NYC commissions and none, none, in London. Japan has some of the world's greatest architects in the world and not a single project in London.

I think there is a certain truth the complaint that London's construction boom is a little lacklustre in terms of quality, if not in quantity and financial value. There are some fantastic lower-rise projects, and lots of great "New London Vernacular" residential popping up all over, but very little in terms of landmark buildings.

The Gehry/Foster buildings at Battersea Power Station are a notable exception, and Herzog & de Meuron tower at Wood Wharf. There are some other Foster and RSH+P developments across the city, of course, but not much in the way of landmarks.

Actually, the tiny city of Oxford has one Zaha building and one Herzog & de Meuron going up at the moment, and recently completed a Viñoly building, as well as some great projects by lesser known British Architects. In a way, it is putting London to shame architecturally, and that's without any of the big bucks provided by luxury residential which are being showered on London.

AUTOTHRILL, alexandru.mircea liked this post
Infinite Jest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #13824
Mr Cladding

London City Island , Construction Update

LCI Eastern aspect by ballymore_group, on Flickr

LCI Eastern aspect by ballymor_group, on Flickr

JustWatch liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #13825
Mr Cladding

Embassy Gardens , Construction Update :

Crane removal

Tower Crane removal April 2015 by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Wall Unit

Wall unit by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Waiting Area

Waiting area by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Podium left light fitting

Podium level light fitting by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Lounge

Lounge by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Lounge 2

Lounge 2 by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Library

Library by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Bookshelf

Bookshelf by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Lift Lobby

Lift Lobby by ballymore_group, on Flickr

New Union Square

New Union Square by ballymore_group, on Flickr

New Union Square 2

New Union Square 2 by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Grand Foyer

Grand Foyer by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Entrance Doors

Entrance doors by ballymore_group, on Flickr4

Capital Building

Capital Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

View on to Block C Ambassador Building

View on to Block C Ambassador Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Others

Embassy Gardens by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Embassy Gardens by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Block C Capital Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Block B Capital Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Block B Capital Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr
The entrance to Ambassador Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Looking over Blocks D, E and B Ambassador Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Block B and C Ambassador Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Block A and B Ambassador Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

A view on to New Union Square by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Block C Capital Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Looking over the podium level at Block A Ambassador Building and Block C Capital Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Podium level Ambassador Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Podium level Ambassador Buildinh by ballymore_group, on Flickr

A view of the courtyard by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Courtyard trees are being planted by ballymore_group, on Flickr

Block B Ambassador Building by ballymore_group, on Flickr

JustWatch, stinkysteel, VDB liked this post
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #13826
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59688

^ Mr Cladding: Could you please limit yourself to compact overviews, like ~5 relevant photos per project and post? Pics are appreciated, but that one was a bit heavy imo. There's specific threads for the Embassy Gardens, where you can upload more.

@Infinite Jest: Imho, London shouldn't care all too much for starchitects. If they do better stuff than others on the same plot, bring 'em on - but if not, forget about them. Starchitects aren't ruling the freaking universe. Names are hollow (and often overpriced), quality counts.

I've seen really crappy buildings by starchitects and phenomenal ones by unknown designers. London gets a lot of high quality "no name" designs, that actually put most places in the world to shame, including a great portion of NYC (minus most of Midtown, admittedly).

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #13827
JimB

Likes (Received): 4888

@ Mr Cladding - I appreciate the update but can you please edit your post....:

a) to resize the pictures, if possible, so that they fit the page

and

b) so that there are a maximum of ten pictures per post and not, as at present, in excess of thirty!

Otherwise, this page could soon start loading reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyy slowly.

Cheers.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #13828
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
I think there is a certain truth the complaint that London's construction boom is a little lacklustre in terms of quality, if not in quantity and financial value. There are some fantastic lower-rise projects, and lots of great "New London Vernacular" residential popping up all over, but very little in terms of landmark buildings.

The Gehry/Foster buildings at Battersea Power Station are a notable exception, and Herzog & de Meuron tower at Wood Wharf. There are some other Foster and RSH+P developments across the city, of course, but not much in the way of landmarks.
It's strange because my opinion seems partly very different, almost the opposite of this, but could be expressed with the same examples, the same words reshuffled in a slightly different order.

I feel like london's 'landmark' and/or starchitect buildings are up there in quality with 'the competition', and they're probably as numerous as they really need to be, but the wider mass of projects, including (though not only including) many NLV and/or lower-rise developments, is relatively underwhelming.

We can trade Gehry's and Fosters all day, it's the 'second tier' or 'infill' projects that sway me to agree with AUTOTHRILL, admittedly the extent of my NYC knowledge is popping in their summary thread/forum occasionally but it seems like their 'non-landmark' projects often maintain most of the care and craft and quality of their landmark ones, whereas our non-landmark ones... look like stratford.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon

AUTOTHRILL, Quicksilver liked this post
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #13829
hugh

Likes (Received): 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
... whereas our non-landmark ones... look like stratford.
Ouch!
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #13830
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I love that carpet...it's so Mod!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #13831
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12125

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Ouch!
well, ok, I'm being provocative, I should in fairness note that sometimes our non-landmark infill looks like Kings Cross. from the renders I feel like the likes of Nine Elms, E&C and the Greenwich Peninsula are likely to end up somewhere between the two. It's... ok, and the apparent usurpment of generic plasticcy midrise by clone-stamp NLV is an improvement, if you're going to have some sort of clone-stamp architecture either way. but I still feel our 'median' architecture is below par compred to our heights

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #13832
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7352

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
It's strange because my opinion seems partly very different, almost the opposite of this, but could be expressed with the same examples, the same words reshuffled in a slightly different order.

I feel like london's 'landmark' and/or starchitect buildings are up there in quality with 'the competition', and they're probably as numerous as they really need to be, but the wider mass of projects, including (though not only including) many NLV and/or lower-rise developments, is relatively underwhelming.

We can trade Gehry's and Fosters all day, it's the 'second tier' or 'infill' projects that sway me to agree with AUTOTHRILL, admittedly the extent of my NYC knowledge is popping in their summary thread/forum occasionally but it seems like their 'non-landmark' projects often maintain most of the care and craft and quality of their landmark ones, whereas our non-landmark ones... look like stratford.
I agree with this. London may not have as many starchitect buildings, but the build and design quality of what's going up in London far exceeds cities such as New York. The urban realm, material finishing and integration and contrast with existing structures and infrastructure is among the best globally. I'd rather that then a few newsworthy projects but largely thrown together infill you see elsewhere.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #13833
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4837

I've got exactly same opinion from my architect friend who just finished his Masters in AA School in London and as part of his studies made a trip to NY to visit master classes of some famous architects based there. He said that overall London by far exceed NY in terms of quality and design. Yes, NY has a lot of famous buildings but when it comes to new projects London is way ahead.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #13834
hugh

Likes (Received): 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
Agree about New York! I still think it is arguably the greatest city in the world. London is a very close second, but it has some catching up to do. As someone mentioned a few posts ago, New York has been attracting far more interesting architects for its big-ticket developments. Why isn't Zaha Hadid doing any luxury residential in London, for example? Her offices are here, she is here, so are the Middle Eastern clientele who could be a captive market, and yet there's nothing. Also, many of the great Japanese archiets like Tadao Ando have numerous NYC commissions and none, none, in London. Japan has some of the world's greatest architects in the world and not a single project in London.

Actually, the tiny city of Oxford has one Zaha building and one Herzog & de Meuron going up at the moment, and recently completed a Viñoly building, as well as some great projects by lesser known British Architects. In a way, it is putting London to shame architecturally, and that's without any of the big bucks provided by luxury residential which are being showered on London.
I wonder if there's been a bit of a wobble in terms of innovative architectural design in London. The likes of 122 Leadenhall and Foster's Principal Place are as good as architecture gets - but maybe it's too early to say whether the feeling that the UK had turned a corner in terms of definitive exceptional architecture, is correct, or whether the last few years have been some kind of outlier.
Re New York, in the same way that London has to some extent embraced the new, for the good, Gotham too has only improved with age. I know there's some debate about the new generation of high rises going up - particularly the thin super tall residentials (Vinoly a contributor), but I reckon it's now useful to think of New York as a new 'old world' city - and the fact that it's better for it. The layering, from Federal town houses to Beaux Arts to the International style and into the present century is probably unmatched anywhere, though London would certainly be a contender.
Re Japanese architects - it's not current - and is perhaps more 'sculpture' than structure, but there's Ando's 'Silence' fountain in Mayfair.

Infinite Jest liked this post

Last edited by hugh; April 18th, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #13835
Mr Cladding

Earl's Court demo & construction update from today

Earls Court , Demo by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Lille Square u,c by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Earls Court u,c by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Earls Court , demo by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Earls Court & Empress Tower by Mr Cladding, on Flickr
Old April 19th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #13836
Mr Cladding

Imperial West

From Today

Core rising by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Imperial West by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Imperial West by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Work shift workout by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Imperial West u,c by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Imperial West u,c by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

WWCE & Imperial West by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

erbse liked this post
Old April 19th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #13837
Mr Cladding

Westfield White City has commenced , starting with the demo of the existing buildings.

Making way by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Clearance by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Soon to be demolished Network House

Network House by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Network House , White City by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Soon to be cleared by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Demolished warehouses by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Ariel Road by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

We're open as usual by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Soon to be by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

We're looking at you kid by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Warehouses & Imperial West by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Soon to be Demolished by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Demolished by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Demolished by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

WWCE , demo by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Soon to be demolished by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Soon to be demolished by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

TV Center and WWCE by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

WWCE , demo by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

WWCE demo by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

Beeb TV Center by Mr Cladding, on Flickr

stinkysteel liked this post
Old April 19th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #13838
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61598

Lot's going on out west.

I'll restore normality on the following page.

Mr Cladding, AUTOTHRILL liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #13839
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Ardmore lands £48m resi deal in Lewisham

Ardmore has won the latest £48m phase of Family Mosaic’s Heathside and Lethbridge regeneration scheme in south London.

The latest award will see Ardmore start on site this summer on Phase 4 of the Lewisham scheme after completing phase 2 and the ongoing delivery of phase 3.

Ardmore will build 236 new homes under the latest deal alongside extensive external works to create new roads and external landscaping in the area surrounding the homes.

Construction on phase 4 is scheduled for completion in spring 2017.
Continued: http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...l-in-lewisham/
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #13840
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Brookfield Multiplex lands £125m Saatchi building deal

Developer Derwent London has selected Brookfield Multiplex as its preferred bidder to deliver its most ambitious London development project later this year.

Sources close to the project told the Enquirer that Brookfield Multiplex has beaten rivals Bam Construct and Mace to the 367,000 st ft mixed-use development at 80 Charlotte Street in Fitzrovia.

The building contract is expected to be worth around £125m when finalised before work starts during the second half of the year.
Continued: http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...building-deal/

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom