daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #13941
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
I wish 6-8 Bishopsgate or St. Helen's tower would be grade listed. They're great examples of International Style architecture when the UK was still an empire, and London was a powerful-looking city able to blend the old with the then-new.
"When the UK was still an empire...."??

The UK has never been an empire. It is a kingdom. The clue is in the name. The empire was the empire. And it no longer existed by the late 1960's / early 1970's, at the time that Aviva tower and 6-8 Broadgate were built.

In fact, in that era, the UK was a basket case ("the sick man of Europe"), lurching from one financial crisis to another and mostly irrelevant in global terms. Even the City of London was a small, provincial poor relation to Wall Street. Other than pop culture - the swinging 60's, obviously - London is a far more influential, powerful, wealthy and relevant city now than it was then.

Last but not least, regardless that Aviva and 6-8 Broadgate have nothing to do with the empire, why should it matter? At all? Isn't it enough simply to say that you wish them both to be listed because you think they merit it on purely architectural terms? I could buy into that.

Besides, if its the architecture of empire that you really want, there are surely more than enough superlative examples in London from the Victorian era.

aclifford, AUTOTHRILL, napowen, SE9, VDB and 1 others liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #13942
Infinite Jest

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
I hear HSBC may be leaving London and relocating their headquarters to Asia. Is this going to effect London's standing as a world financial center ?.
The Economist's coverage suggests that if a incoming Labour government increases the levy on bank's capital, as they promise to do in their manifesto, then HSBC might realistically move its headquarters.

But there's an element of boy who cries wolf to this. HSBC have made the threat before. However, their share price grew on this most recent announcement, which might motivate the board to act.
Infinite Jest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #13943
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1954

Quote:
I wish 6-8 Bishopsgate or St. Helen's tower would be grade listed. They're great examples of International Style architecture when the UK was still an empire, and London was a powerful-looking city able to blend the old with the then-new.
what rubbish this is!
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #13944
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 301

It be cool if Google had a Street View night time option because they are parts of London that I think would be great to be shown off at night.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #13945
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
In fact, in that era, the UK was a basket case ("the sick man of Europe"), lurching from one financial crisis to another and mostly irrelevant in global terms. Even the City of London was a small, provincial poor relation to Wall Street. Other than pop culture - the swinging 60's, obviously - London is a far more influential, powerful, wealthy and relevant city now than it was then.
Yes.
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #13946
HoldenC

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
The Economist's coverage suggests that if a incoming Labour government increases the levy on bank's capital, as they promise to do in their manifesto, then HSBC might realistically move its headquarters.

But there's an element of boy who cries wolf to this. HSBC have made the threat before. However, their share price grew on this most recent announcement, which might motivate the board to act.

and the referendum Cameron promised...
HoldenC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #13947
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:

The thing is if HSBC go, what's going to stop others following due to market conditions they perceive as untenable.
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #13948
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60758

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
I hear HSBC may be leaving London and relocating their headquarters to Asia. Is this going to effect London's standing as a world financial center ?.
HSBC review their HQ location every few years.

As I've said elsewhere: people I know that work in the financial sector have told me, for the longest time, that any risk or prospect of the UK leaving the EU would be pretty disastrous. Thus the prospect of an EU referendum is extremely unwelcome across finance and other sectors here. I'm not surprised that HSBC warn of it, they're not the only ones concerned by the prospect.

Don't forget though, that the recent trend has been for financial services operations to move to London, not from it. A few examples:
  • General Electric moved its consumer finance division from Conneticut to London in 2008 [-]
  • Aon moved its headquarters from Chicago to London in 2012 [-]
  • Total moved its finance department from Paris to London in 2013 [-]
  • The World Federation of Exchanges moved its headquarters from Paris to London in 2013 [-]
  • The International Forum of Sovereign Wealth Funds (IFSWF) moved its headquarters from Washington DC to London in 2014 [-]
  • The first Remnimbi clearing bank outside Asia opens in London in 2014 [-]

And so on, some of which manifest themselves in building projects on this thread. For example, American insurer W.R. Berkley is building the Scalpel to be its new European headquarters. Aon signed a pre-let for its new headquarters at the Leadenhall Building, and major operations for Swiss company UBS will be transferred to 5 Broadgate once it's complete.

AbidM, geoking66, Union Man liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #13949
SE9
South East Nine

Lewisham Gateway | Lewisham SE13

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=888804

Official website: http://www.newlewisham.com/

Project facts
  • Address: Lewisham Gateway, Station Road, London SE13
  • Developer: Muse Developments
  • Architect: PRP Architects
  • Cost: £250 million ($370m)
  • Homes: 800

The phase one construction site viewed from Lewisham Station. Photo by SE9:

Lewisham Gateway - Lewisham, London by SE9 London, on Flickr

JustWatch, Union Man liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #13950
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

There's a rather large difference between insurance and banking SE9. I wouldn't lump the two into the same sector.

London's main strengths are insurance and currency trading. Most of the companies you list fall under that bracket. Commodity and Bond trading are where the real money is in finance, and HSBC may move to protect those interests.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #13951
SE9
South East Nine

The question and my answer pertain to the overall financial services industry, of which banking and insurance are constituent parts.
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #13952
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
The question and my answer pertain to the overall financial services industry, of which banking and insurance are constituent parts.
Your post does read a little one sided. HSBC, by some measures the worlds largest bank, moving its HQ out of London will no doubt have implications for London's standing. It heightens the risk that other large banks would move their HQ's out of London as well. The insurance industry and currency trading industry won't be affected by this, but it still has the potential for significant impact on London's financial service industry as a whole.

Old April 25th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #13953
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Your post does read a little one sided. HSBC, by some measures the worlds largest bank, moving its HQ out of London will no doubt have implications for London's standing. It heightens the risk that other large banks would move their HQ's out of London as well. The insurance industry and currency trading industry won't be affected by this, but it still has the potential for significant impact on London's financial service industry as a whole.
I don't deny that HSBC's departure would have implications for London's standing. I went further, saying that they're not the only ones concerned by the prospect of an EU referendum, or a 'disastrous' EU exit.

This concern is spread across the financial industry (banking, insurance etc) and across multiple other industries/sectors.
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #13954
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

You're quite right, I think I misconstrued your post. Time for some more coffee..

Old April 25th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #13955
SE9
South East Nine

It's all good.

If the reasons for HSBC's potential departure come to bear, then they (certainly) wouldn't be the only ones leaving.
Old April 25th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #13956
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
I wish 6-8 Bishopsgate or St. Helen's tower would be grade listed. They're great examples of International Style architecture
Weird, the ground seems a bit colder...

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #13957
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
It's all good.

If the reasons for HSBC's potential departure come to bear, then they (certainly) wouldn't be the only ones leaving.
Unfortunately you've written a terribly politically biased post on the matter that is extremely misleading.

Quoting from the BBC coverage of the story:

Quote:
The review follows plans announced in the Budget to increase the bank levy from 0.156% to 0.21%.
The levy particularly affects banks with large balance sheets, such as HSBC. Last year it paid £750m of the £1.9bn raised by the government through the tax.
"I think there have been a number of things that have generated this review over the last few years," said Chris Wheeler, banking analyst at Atlantic Equities. "What's really moved them on is the increase in the bank levy."
The levy was introduced by Osborne, and Miliband has said he will increase the levy further. That is a huge about of additional tax to pay for the bank, and is the only reason HSBC would genuinely consider leave the UK.

The EU referendum has very little to do with this. We will never vote to leave the EU, even if there is a referendum. Everyone knows that, and there's cross-party consensus on the issue. The Conservatives only offered a referendum to stop UKIP cannibalising their vote. All parties minus UKIP will be campaigning to stay in the EU in the lead up to a referendum. There's no way an exit will happen.
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #13958
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Unfortunately you've written a terribly politically biased post on the matter that is extremely misleading.
Not at all.

I've heard directly from people that work for major financial firms in the City and Canary Wharf (eg. BarCap) that the UK leaving the EU would be disastrous. Not just for the UK, but specifically for their operations. Thus the prospect of a referendum and the uncertainty surrounding it is very negative.

I remember having conversations around the time of the Scottish independence referendum last year. It was generally agreed that the uncertainty and threat of companies leaving Scotland was minor when compared to what would happen in the uncertainty of a Brexit.

Of course, the Eurosceptic right attempt to frame HSBC's announcement as having nothing to do with an EU referendum. I would be inclined to agree in this respect, however what I've heard from those in the finance industry on the topic is more than enough to know that it's no bluff.
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #13959
Infinite Jest

It's nothing to with the Eurosceptic right. I am extremely pro EU, and yet I know full well that HSBC's decision has nothing to with the EU and everything to with the bank levy that means it has to pay £750m more in tax, plus the general trend in the regulatory environment that makes it harder to be profitable as a large bank in the EU.

Miliband has promised to raise the levy further. That is a promise and a guarantee if the outcome of the election puts him in power.

Cameron has promised a referendum. He has not promised an exit of the EU. That simply won't happen.

From HSBC's perspective:
if Miliband is in power, they will definitely lose money;
if Cameron is in power, there is a tiny chance of a EU exit, so there is a tiny chance they will lose money.

Miliband's anti-business rhetoric is far more worrying for any banker than Cameron's pandering to eurosceptics. Can you guess who your friends at Barcap will be voting for?

It's weird how you think a few anecdotal remarks by your friends at Barcap are some sort of evidence. They are completely unverifiable for a start. Moreover, every newspaper that I have read that has covered the story (The Economist, the FT, the BBC) has said that the levy is by far and away the most important reason. (See the quote I posted above.) I'm also an HSBC shareholder and I get access to internal reports via my broker. The share price rose on the news because moving HQ would mean HSBC would no longer have to pay the £750m levy and therefore more profit and dividends to shareholders.
Old April 26th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #13960
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Fascinating footage of London 1890-1920 compared to London today:

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom