daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #13961
JamieUK
Registered User
 
JamieUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 503
Likes (Received): 314

Thanks for posting that Jim what amazing footage.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #13962
Xvioxify
Registered User
 
Xvioxify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 72
Likes (Received): 72

Why are people saying that leaving the EU would be disastrous? Yes it would cause businesses to panic at first, but surely the UK could make a deal to form a Commonwealth Free trade zone, and then leave the EU, so as to immediately join this new Commonwealth free trade zone. From here surely the commonwealth could negotiate a deal with the EU for free trade similar to the TTIP deal.

This would result in a Commonwealth free trade zone, with an economy of £12 Trillion, a population of 2 billion, deals with the EU and possibly the U.S for free trade deals-all without EU regulations, bureaucracy and stupid open borders policy.

.....and no I'm not some deranged UKIP or BNP supporter.
__________________

Quicksilver liked this post
Xvioxify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #13963
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,059
Likes (Received): 4889



No offence, fella - because I know the conversation was already live - but can we leave discussion of politics to other threads? Plenty of options in the Skybar on the UK forums.

Cheers.
__________________

erbse liked this post
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #13964
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,048
Likes (Received): 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvioxify View Post
Why are people saying that leaving the EU would be disastrous? Yes it would cause businesses to panic at first, but surely the UK could make a deal to form a Commonwealth Free trade zone, and then leave the EU, so as to immediately join this new Commonwealth free trade zone. From here surely the commonwealth could negotiate a deal with the EU for free trade similar to the TTIP deal.

This would result in a Commonwealth free trade zone, with an economy of £12 Trillion, a population of 2 billion, deals with the EU and possibly the U.S for free trade deals-all without EU regulations, bureaucracy and stupid open borders policy.

.....and no I'm not some deranged UKIP or BNP supporter.
Imagine you're in a nightclub. And not just inside, but in the VIP lounge. In fact, you're the slickest mf'er in the VIP lounge. You've got gold chains around your neck and about six perfect 10s grinding on you from all directions. You're the life of the party. France is there, of course, and Germany. And Belgium is behind the bar, sneering at you because you're wealthier and hotter and more popular, and he's only making six euros an hour plus tips.

After four decades of hard partying you suddenly get out your solid gold cellphone and hit up your crew. 'This party's getting stale' you say. 'Let's bounce' they eventually reply, after months of furious debate. And so you get up and leave, taking the women and booze and giant stack of fifties with you. And you don't leave a tip. In fact, you splash your drink in Belgium's face on the way out, stupid foreigner.

Now you're in the alley outside the club. America is there, getting sucked off by a tramp. And so is the Commonwealth, huddled in a corner trying to look important. Things aren't so good out here. It's cold, a car rushes by and splashes your coat. And France and Germany and Ireland, and all your best mates are still inside the club, sipping their drinks in comfort.

F-this, you say. I'm going back in. You walk up to the doorman and ask to go back in the club. I don't want to go back in the VIP lounge, but maybe I can get drinks sent down from the VIP lounge even if I'm not allowed back in. Maybe I can party on the filthy main dance floor with Russia and Saudi Arabia, but still get honeys sent down from the VIP lounge whenever it suits me. In fact, I'm still the hottest mf'er in this place, why don't you turn around and send drinks down to me, and then I'll decide if the VIP lounge is worthy enough to have my business.

As you're arguing with the doorman, Belgium saunters down the stairs and stands right in front of you, arms crossed. The drink you threw in his face is still dripping from his hair. He smiles, because despite only earning six euros an hour plus tips, and despite only having shabby clothes and a tiny package, he finally knows he has more power over you than ever before.
__________________
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #13965
Xvioxify
Registered User
 
Xvioxify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 72
Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Imagine you're in a nightclub. And not just inside, but in the VIP lounge. In fact, you're the slickest mf'er in the VIP lounge. You've got gold chains around your neck and about six perfect 10s grinding on you from all directions. You're the life of the party. France is there, of course, and Germany. And Belgium is behind the bar, sneering at you because you're wealthier and hotter and more popular, and he's only making six euros an hour plus tips.



After four decades of hard partying you suddenly get out your solid gold cellphone and hit up your crew. 'This party's getting stale' you say. 'Let's bounce' they eventually reply, after months of furious debate. And so you get up and leave, taking the women and booze and giant stack of fifties with you. And you don't leave a tip. In fact, you splash your drink in Belgium's face on the way out, stupid foreigner.



Now you're in the alley outside the club. America is there, getting sucked off by a tramp. And so is the Commonwealth, huddled in a corner trying to look important. Things aren't so good out here. It's cold, a car rushes by and splashes your coat. And France and Germany and Ireland, and all your best mates are still inside the club, sipping their drinks in comfort.



F-this, you say. I'm going back in. You walk up to the doorman and ask to go back in the club. I don't want to go back in the VIP lounge, but maybe I can get drinks sent down from the VIP lounge even if I'm not allowed back in. Maybe I can party on the filthy main dance floor with Russia and Saudi Arabia, but still get honeys sent down from the VIP lounge whenever it suits me. In fact, I'm still the hottest mf'er in this place, why don't you turn around and send drinks down to me, and then I'll decide if the VIP lounge is worthy enough to have my business.



As you're arguing with the doorman, Belgium saunters down the stairs and stands right in front of you, arms crossed. The drink you threw in his face is still dripping from his hair. He smiles, because despite only earning six euros an hour plus tips, and despite only having shabby clothes and a tiny package, he finally knows he has more power over you than ever before.

Lol to be fair that is a pretty epic analogy. But anyway as Jim B said back to London projects and construction.........
Xvioxify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #13966
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,118
Likes (Received): 11321

Millharbour South has been approved by Tower Hamlets council , at their meeting on Thursday according to estatesgazzette.

Quote:
will see the erection of seven new buildings ranging from 8-42 storeys in height, with 900 residential units; 624 private and 277 affordable units (a combination of affordable and intermediate rent).
Here's the link to the blog post : http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/...arbour-towers/

The next strategic planning committee meeting is in June.
__________________

JustWatch liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #13967
AbidM
Registered User
 
AbidM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London/Sunamganj Sadar
Posts: 2,010
Likes (Received): 1440

Regulate this thread of its content please And thank you. City/Metro compilations / London Projects and Constructions. London sky bar is the go to place to talk politics, economy, world affairs Tec.
__________________
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York
AbidM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #13968
Phaleo
Registered User
 
Phaleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Peekabo
Posts: 68
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
The latest photos taken by forumers are on page 90 of the Battersea Power Station thread.

thanks !. the project progressing well. love the cladding.
Phaleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #13969
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 24,109
Likes (Received): 7543

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Lewisham Gateway | Lewisham SE13
Looks awesome.
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #13970
SE9
South East Nine
 
SE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 34,168
Likes (Received): 61605

The Atlas Building | Old Street EC1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1526548

Official website: http://www.theatlasbuilding.com/



Project facts
  • Address: 145 City Road, London EC1
  • Developer: Rocket Investments
  • Architect: Make Architects
  • Height: 134m
  • Floors: 39



Demolition progress at the Atlas site, with new site hoardings up. Photo by chest:

__________________
-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #13971
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,375
Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Even the City of London was a small, provincial poor relation to Wall Street. Other than pop culture - the swinging 60's, obviously - London is a far more influential, powerful, wealthy and relevant city now than it was then.
London was certainly not poor compared to Wall Street which was far more regulated than the City. The City of London saw a period of decline following the end of WWII until the late 1950s when the rise of the Eurodollar market in London reversed this trend. In terms of financial might London and NYC have been on par since then. NYC has the advantage of a huge domestic market and the backing of the American economy, while London has remained the more international city - thanks to old imperial connections and local expertise.

The Big Bang was the culmination - not the start - of London's return to global power. It was the Eurodollar market (in London) that effectively undermined the American built Bretton Woods system and gave birth to the global financial system in place today. And without the City serving as an offshore financial centre Wall Street would have struggled to regain its prewar status.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #13972
rjee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 72
Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
The Atlas Building | Old Street EC1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1526548

Official website: http://www.theatlasbuilding.com/



Project facts
  • Address: 145 City Road, London EC1
  • Developer: Rocket Investments
  • Architect: Make Architects
  • Height: 134m
  • Floors: 39



Demolition progress at the Atlas site, with new site hoardings up. Photo by chest:

this looks quite promising and even more interesting... are there any other, more completed renderings?
__________________

TowerVerre:) liked this post
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #13973
Core Rising
Ampersands & What
 
Core Rising's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 7,084

__________________
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #13974
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,450
Likes (Received): 817

that design is pretty tasty
__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #13975
LDN N7
N7
 
LDN N7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: London
Posts: 3,079
Likes (Received): 1686

Very nice. Isn't there another building proposed for the city centre with that layered look?
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #13976
JamieUK
Registered User
 
JamieUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 503
Likes (Received): 314

Makes the building to the left of it look tiny.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #13977
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,118
Likes (Received): 11321

Garden Bridge drilling starts in Thames as judicial review looms
London-se1.co.uk
29th April 2015

Quote:
Contractors started to dig exploratory boreholes in the River Thames for the controversial Garden Bridge this week, just days after a High Court judge ruled that the scope of a judicial review of the decision to approve the scheme could be widened.

The jack-up barge Skate 2D will be used to dig 4 deep boreholes, 16 shallow boreholes and 30 shallow cone penetration test boreholes. Engineers will work round the clock for five days to complete the survey.

Last Tuesday opponents of the Garden Bridge successfully argued in the High Court that the forthcoming judicial review proceedings into the bridge's impact on London's heritage should also examine whether Lambeth Council properly examined the financial arrangements for the structure's upkeep before granting approval.
Continued in link : http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/vie...for+Twitter%29

Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #13978
stevekeiretsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bristol
Posts: 4,628
Likes (Received): 12125

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN N7 View Post
Very nice. Isn't there another building proposed for the city centre with that layered look?
London Wall Place

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=76
__________________

My London development & construction photos: • by area/project • by year
My Urban Showcase threads: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Orkney • Bristol • Lisbon • London
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #13979
yubnub
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 830
Likes (Received): 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
Or maybe the Leadenhall building?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1660252
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #13980
SE9
South East Nine
 
SE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 34,168
Likes (Received): 61605

Novotel Canary Wharf | Isle of Dogs E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=573332

Official website: N/A



Project facts
  • Address: 40 Marsh Wall, London E14
  • Developer: Accor
  • Architect: Leach Rhodes Walker Architects
  • Height: 124m
  • Floors: 39



Progress at the Novotel, photo by chest:

__________________
-

JimB, el palmesano, stinkysteel, Union Man liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium