daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM   #121
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

yes a ridiculous hulking mall instead of lots of beautiful classical/unique buildings with varying roof heights and roof gardens, fountains etc. Disgustiing. Napolean called us a nation of shopkeepers, now we just ape America.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:18 PM   #122
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1377

Nice work guys, these renders are pretty cool...
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:58 PM   #123
Phobos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith
yes a ridiculous hulking mall instead of lots of beautiful classical/unique buildings with varying roof heights and roof gardens, fountains etc. Disgustiing. Napolean called us a nation of shopkeepers, now we just ape America.
Totally agreed.I thought London has learned the lesson after Euston Station and other ones,but It seems this wonderful city is becoming more and more an America wannabe(at least architecturally).I'm sorry to say that,but It's my opinion.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #124
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

America wannabe? No thanks.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #125
london lad

Likes (Received): 2260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith
Originally Posted by zenith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
Totally agreed.I thought London has learned the lesson after Euston Station and other ones,but It seems this wonderful city is becoming more and more an America wannabe(at least architecturally).I'm sorry to say that,but It's my opinion.
While I quite like the brown building which One new change (which incidently does have a roof garden) is replacing its not an exceptional piece of architecture. In fact most of the new architecute , including skyscrapers in London are by & large replacing post war office buildings with no architectural merit & are no longer suitable for modern office enviroments. No body is copying America or anyone else- Worldwide the trend is for glass & steel offices, with a great deal designed by British architects both here & abroad.

To hark back to the days of classical architecture that the Victorians were so good at is just not desirable these days mainly as modern versions of classical buildings end up looking like paternoster square etc- A poor imitation. London has plenty of classical architecture & will not anytime soon see them replaced by modern glass & steel. Whats happening in London , as I mentioned is alot of redeveloping of post war buildings, nothing more. London is the unique city it is today because of hte fact that it is not stuck in the past & constantly evolving.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #126
London
New York

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
We welcome opinions. But when you compare London's glass and steel architecture with new yorks concrete architecture, your on another planet

Euston is probably the only glass and steel city of skyscrapers in america. But again, when you compre glass and steel boxes with glass and steel cheesegraters, helter-skelters or shards of glass, your on another planet further away than the previous planet you were on. Infact, so far away, the planet hasnt been discovered yet

But if you were talking about canary wharf and euston, or canary wharf and new yorks financial district, then i could partially agree with you. There are slight similarities. But saying London is a wannabe is just a completely unjustified and uneducated answer to London's forever rising might. Is it envy?
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #127
london lad

Likes (Received): 2260

Quote:
Originally Posted by London
We welcome opinions. But when you compare London's glass and steel architecture with new yorks concrete architecture, your on another planet

Euston is probably the only glass and steel city of skyscrapers in america. But again, when you compre glass and steel boxes with glass and steel cheesegraters, helter-skelters or shards of glass, your on another planet further away than the previous planet you were on. Infact, so far away, the planet hasnt been discovered yet

But if you were talking about canary wharf and euston, or canary wharf and new yorks financial district, then i could partially agree with you. There are slight similarities. But saying London is a wannabe is just a completely unjustified and uneducated answer to London's forever rising might. Is it envy?
You do realise Phobos means Euston railway station & not Houston the city in the USA or have you got your wires crossed?!??
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #128
Newcastle Guy

Some comparisons for you all

[IMG]http://i1.************/x3thtf.jpg[/IMG]

Some New York buildings with some London buildings, Including the cancelled Millenium tower.

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #129
Newcastle Guy

It looks like London could be close to getting a building of ESB proportions, hopefully there will be something like that pop up in the next decade
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #130
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
No body is copying America or anyone else- Worldwide the trend is for glass & steel offices, with a great deal designed by British architects both here & abroad.
I was talking about malls myself, nothing more.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #131
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

News of a possible 45-storey tower for East India Dock Road, near Canary Wharf:-

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=593

Last edited by wjfox; May 5th, 2006 at 11:41 PM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #132
wjfox
Futurist

Just spent the last hour editing my summary on page 1 of this thread - all of the info should now be fully up-to-date.

Notice how long the list of 'Other projects' at the end is getting!
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #133
Newcastle Guy

Good work WJ!

That new development looks OK, pretty tall, and as it is close to Elektron it will start it's own mini residential cluster close to CW
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #134
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 847

I'm hoping its just a poor quality rendering, the shapes and mass look okay, just looks a bit cheap.. but, like I said.. I hope thats just down to lazy media, and not lazy design
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #135
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Compared to other buildings going up and others planned, that looks abit poor.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #136
Newcastle Guy

It's a change to all the steel and glass
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #137
L-er

Likes (Received): 0

It's OK.
L-er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #138
wjfox
Futurist

Interesting project for Leadenhall Street - http://www.black-architecture.com/
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #139
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6316

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
Interesting project for Leadenhall Street - http://www.black-architecture.com/
Hmm, looks pretty interesting. Any idea of the height, chance of construction etc etc??

Oh, and what is there curently??

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #140
Modernization
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
Compared to other buildings going up and others planned, that looks abit poor.
London is still a flat city and no highrise. Most Europeans cities are like that. THey don't like skyscrapers.

Zefire liked this post
Modernization no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom