daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #14441
londonboy99

Likes (Received): 3

It would be interesting to see if they go ahead with the construction of this building. Would rather it if they continue with the original design to be honest it looked a lot nicer where as this one is just so basic
londonboy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #14442
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1667

Original design is dead. Get over it.
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #14443
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Compared to other recent redesigns, this is great. *cough* 2WTC. Couldn't be more pleased.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #14444
Phoenyxar

Likes (Received): 438

It kind of looks like a modern upscaled Tower 42. Intriguing.

Axel76NG liked this post
Phoenyxar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #14445
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60757

22 Bishopsgate | City of London EC2

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=375557

Official website: http://at22.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: 22-24 Bishopsgate, London EC2
  • Developer: Axa Real Estate and Lipton Rogers
  • Architect: PLP Architects
  • Height: 278m
  • Floors: 62

Details on the new design for 22 Bishopsgate, released today. A planning application will be submitted next month:

- Axa Real Estate: Public Consultation for 22 Bishopsgate

- Financial Times: City’s tallest tower to rise from ‘Pinnacle’ ashes

- Bloomberg: Axa Unveils Plans to Transform ‘Stump’ Into London Skyscraper

Old June 16th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #14446
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60757

One Blackfriars | South Bank SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=400279

Official website: http://www.oneblackfriars.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: 1 Blackfriars Road, London SE1
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Developer: St George
  • Architect: Ian Simpson Architects
  • Height: 163m
  • Floors: 52

Core rising at One Blackfriars:

Old June 16th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #14447
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Re 22 Bishopsgate...

If only the Corporation would refuse planning permission and force the developer to come up with a better quality, more sympathetic proposal.

It doesn't look too bad in the very carefully chosen renders above. It's ordinary and relatively inoffensive, I suppose. But it's how it will look from some other angles that really concerns me. It appears that it will be very bulky and I think that it could well ruin the cluster rather than provide it with a unifying focal point. Of course, the Pinnacle was also bulky but its signature upper third and curved lines somehow dissipated the effect of its mass to an extent.

I understand that the bottom line dictates that architects should provide the greatest amount of floor space per footprint but I can't help feeling that ordinary design like this for such a key project cheapens the value of the City brand as a whole. That's not to say that we need anything whacky and "original" on the site. We just need something tall and elegant. Something a little more slender than this above a certain height, say.

Sadly, my guess is that this will pass through planning relatively unaltered and that we'll thereafter just have to live with it. A great shame.
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #14448
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

I think I'll be retired by the time the tate extention is complete.

the spliff fairy liked this post
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #14449
Andre_Filipe
On The Horizon

Likes (Received): 5280

The original design was much better, such a shame

Kot Bazilio liked this post
Andre_Filipe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #14450
Xvioxify

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhfdhfdhfdhfd View Post
cvbvcbcvbvcbcvbv

STOP SPAMMING YOU TROLL! Get off this forum!
Xvioxify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #14451
Londonese
Londonese

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvioxify View Post
STOP SPAMMING YOU TROLL! Get off this forum!
It's post-Pinnacle breakdown syndrome.

potto, Mr Cladding, Ivanator liked this post
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #14452
potto

Likes (Received): 9114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
I like it but still want to see a higher quality render of the cladding before I make a final judgement on it. I think at the moment, it looks better than a value engineered pinnacle, as it would end up looking like tour first in la defence.
what you are seeing is the value-engineered Pinnacle! Nothing more to see
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #14453
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

I really don't get why people are so angry over this, it's like ppl were expecting London's version of the crysler building in NY. If the pinnacle went ahead, we'd have had a upgraded tour first. So rather than having a tower that paris has already got, we've went our way and got a good modern skyscraper, tho not a iconic one at that.

Langur liked this post
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #14454
rjee

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
I really don't get why people are so angry over this, it's like ppl were expecting London's version of the crysler building in NY. If the pinnacle went ahead, we'd have had a upgraded tour first. So rather than having a tower that paris has already got, we've went our way and got a good modern skyscraper, tho not a iconic one at that.
oh my god, at last a sane person here! despite all those negative comments about the new Pinnacle design I find it a rather sleek building that can enhance the City skyline and to be honest I prefer it over the old design. this is just my opinion but whatever anyone's opinion is, being biased over something that hasn't even been approved yet is wrong.

Langur liked this post
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #14455
JimB

Quote:
I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed and underwhelmed.

And just as you apparently don't get why others are angry, I have to say that I really don't get why you don't appear to be at least a little disappointed. Shouldn't we hope and expect the very best for our great city? Demand it, even? Should we be happy with ordinary? Should we celebrate compromise and build it 280 metres tall? Should we bow dutifully and unquestioningly before the bottom line? Do we really want accountants, instead of architects, designing our important buildings?

I agree with you that the value engineered Pinnacle is no great loss. But that doesn't mean that what replaces it can be excused for being characterless and even blockier. Wait until you see the views that they've tried very hard not to show you. I am prepared to bet that the sheer bulk will make a mess of the burgeoning city cluster. Ruin it instead of enhancing it. Remember that this isn't just another skyscraper in just another location. It is meant to be the skyscraper in the location. The tallest tower in the middle of the City. The unifying focal point.

This new design is not worthy - not by a long shot - of such a role.

Grimbarian liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #14456
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1667

I think it will look pretty good (if cladded properly) once finished.

It is still a big freaking building.
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #14457
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

It's okay.... but I can't help but think that the design just doesn't look 'London'.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #14458
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 805

This design does not have the glitz of the Pinnacle but it is a perfectly fine commercial building designed to meet the office market requirements of the City of London and to be profitable with no public funds. It will offer amazing views and have public access, restaurant etc at the top - which is great. Most of all, this will be built, with work to commence shortly, in just over a month, and the City will finally get the central tall tower that visually will tie the cluster together.

In the 2020s, we'll see more towers built which will pad out the cluster, and perhaps one or two more which are similar in scale to 22 Bishopsgate. These are still exciting times for London.

As a final note, keep in mind that the City does not like buildings which are too glitzy, it does not want to draw too much attention to itself and its highly profitable and remunerative business. No doubt the City may actually be relieved that a "quieter" central skyscraper perseveres.

(the) liked this post
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #14459
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
As a final note, keep in mind that the City does not like buildings which are too glitzy, it does not want to draw too much attention to itself and its highly profitable and remunerative business. No doubt the City may actually be relieved that a "quieter" central skyscraper perseveres.
Eh?

"Gherkin"; "Cheesegrater"; "Helter Skelter"; "Can of Ham"; "Scalpel"; "Walkie Talkie".......

The City was happy for all of these projects to be built. And all are attention seeking (mostly in a good way). There's a reason why it was so easy for the media to give them nicknames. So, with respect, I make you quite wrong about this!

That's not to say that the Pinnacle replacement had to be attention seeking (other than the fact that it will inevitably be so simply because of its height). But blocky blandness? Nah. Not for me.

≈Adamski≈ liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #14460
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 11734

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Wait until you see the views that they've tried very hard not to show you. I am prepared to bet that the sheer bulk will make a mess
the thing that never seems to get mentioned though, is that the pinnacle was / would have been equally fat, from the 'fat angles', and tried pretty much just as hard to avoid showing those same angles

it's the same size and shape plot after all.

granted the pinnacle attempted to mitigate this by presenting a strong vertical, the 'fold' of it meeting itself (don't really know how to verbalise this), breaking up the wide side, but I'm not really convinced that would have made a whole heap of difference, from distant/silhouette perspectives it would still look like one big slab.

Edit: I was reading the thread backwards, scrolled up and saw you actually made this same point in an earlier post, albeit giving more credit to the pinnacle's design as likely to reduce the impact. fair play.

As a side note, there are so many appeals for "drawing the cluster together" etc- 20FS blew any chance of that imo! I don't see how the cluster can ever be 'coherent' unless/until that is knocked down or surrounded/linked to the other towers. Not that that is anexcuse for a crap building elsewhere, obviously, just musing...

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon

Langur liked this post

Last edited by stevekeiretsu; June 16th, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom