daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1441
japopian

Likes (Received): 7

wow london looks amazing!! it looks like the tokyo of europe!

but I was wondernig why do they only use glass?? what happens when glass is out of fashion? In Japan we rarely use glass on our skyscrapers we use other materials - i think these would blend in more with londons "white" building-dominated skyline

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1442
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

I've just spent the last hour updating the summary in post #1, so all the info should now be fully up-to-date.
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #1443
wjfox
Futurist

One of London's biggest ever transport projects gets underway today -

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...des/article.do

Old May 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM   #1444
london lad

Likes (Received): 2259

Couple of updates.

News proposed student resi tower opposite the LBT site (around 28fl/100m)

[IMG]http://i40.************/33wwi8o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/2cwvj3d.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil Dicit View Post

Also this is a slightly resigned proposed tower for a site directly opposite Stratford transport interchange ( main entry point for 2012 Games).

[IMG]http://i43.************/akes7p.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/2ntjw8w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/34dse1z.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.************/qph5oh.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #1445
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

New 194m tower, the first for Woodwharf:

Quite a dissapointment IMO. By Pelli Clarke Pelli. You can also see a new KPF tower standing to the left, coming in at 134m.

Edit: Another picture, this one of the 134m KPF building:

Last edited by Newcastle Guy; May 26th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1446
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

Oh. I actually thought for a second that I was looking at an old render of the Citigroup building. Its horrible (the taller one), so much like CWG's main complex buildings.
At least the KPF building does something to try and break the banality of the box.
I thought Rogers would be designing some of the office buildings, or was I mistaken?
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1447
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukey View Post
Oh. I actually thought for a second that I was looking at an old render of the Citigroup building. Its horrible (the taller one), so much like CWG's main complex buildings.
At least the KPF building does something to try and break the banality of the box.
I thought Rogers would be designing some of the office buildings, or was I mistaken?
As far as i know he will be designing the residential bit of the development,but he might be designing 1 or 2 office buildings.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #1448
grochu
skyscrapers votary

Likes (Received): 19

134m tower rocks imo! Is it a proposition, plan, or currently u/c?
grochu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1449
wjfox
Futurist

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/eu...ef=mpstoryview

Time marches on for iconic Big Ben

(CNN) -- Big Ben, arguably the world's most famous clock, celebrates on Sunday 150 years of keeping London on time. The British landmark has lived through war, bad weather and disasters.

Big Ben is the 14-ton bell inside the world's largest four-faced chiming clock, although most people use the name to describe the tower that houses it.

The clock is perched on a 96-meter (310-foot) elegant tower at the Westminster Bridge end of the Palace of Westminster.

The Victorian masterpiece, which provides distinctive chimes known as bongs, was voted Britain's favorite monument in 2008. It has been featured in films such as "101 Dalmatians" and "Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix."

Big Ben has been disrupted a few times over the years for various reasons, including weather and breakages. Its bongs went silent for about two months in August 2007 to allow a crew to repair its mechanism system.

During that time, the rest of the clock was running on an electric system. It was fully restarted again October 1.

The clock pays tribute to Britain's royal history: It has a Latin inscription of the phrase: "O Lord, save our Queen Victoria the First."

The ornate masterpiece has some quirky features.

The hour hand, which weighs 300 kilograms (661 pounds), is made of gun metal while the minute hands are made of copper sheet.

The minute hands would not work when they were first made of cast iron because they were too heavy. The clock started working on May 31, 1859, after the lighter copper hands were installed.

The origins of the landmark's name are obscure. Some say it was named after the 1850s heavyweight boxer Ben Caunt while others suggest it was named after Sir Benjamin Hall, a former member of parliament. Hall, the commissioner of works in 1859, was responsible for ordering the bell.

Alan Hughes, the director of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry that made the bell, prefers the latter.

"I suppose I like it chiefly because it was a nickname of a man who was big and loud and pompous, and never used one word if 27 would do," he said in a 2008 interview.

Hughes' company also made America's Liberty Bell and a number of others for cathedrals and churches around the world.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:03 PM   #1450
wjfox
Futurist

http://www.google.co.uk/

[IMG]http://i40.************/116u8v7.gif[/IMG]
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1451
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Second Battersea Power Station Exhibition

Published on 28-05-2009 by Skyscrapernews.com

A second public exhibition is due to be held to review progress made on plans for the future of Battersea Power Station.

Following the first consultation last summer which resulted in an outbreak of NIMBYitus of such epic proportion sufferers broke out in bouts of public misinformation giving in order to get the proposals shelved, the plans have been revised to something a bit less inspired but hopefully not to upsetting for those sufferers of the debilitating disease.

Gone is the rather nice and unusual bong shaped tower designed by Raffael Vinoly that could have been a rather nice focal point on London's Skyline and in comes a much toned down design consisting of what are essentially boxy forms covered with glazed shell like canopies like those developed and made famous by world renowned architect Felix Candela. The new plans also include a refit of the existing power station to be converted into offices.

The exhibition will give people an opportunity to see the new plans and give their comments and ask any questions they may have to the design team. Readers would be asked to watch out for flying pigs but unfortunately the swine are too busy in the House of Commons with their heads in the trough to attend this time around.

If you do wish go along anyway it will run on Thursday 4th June 12pm-8pm, Friday 5th June 10am-6pm, Saturday 6th June 10am-5pm. It's being hosted at the Consultation Suite at Battersea Power Station 188 Kirtling Street, London, SW8 5BP.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1452
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

The 194-metre tower and the 134 metre tower are both in the Wood Wharf scheme? If so, they should be the first skyscrapers in Wood Wharf to have their designs detailed. More information about them will be available later.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1453
wjfox
Futurist

Some pics of the new Quinlan Terry building on Tottenham Court Road:-

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #1454
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6268

love it
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1455
wjfox
Futurist

Vauxhall Bondway Tower

A new 150m/42 storey tower for Lambeth. The architects are Make.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=886862

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1456
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
A stunning project for the Science Museum by Wilkinson Eyre

Designs to pull the UK home of technology into the 21st century
Plans revealed for the redesign of the ‘faceless’ Science Museum on London’s Exhibition Road are to recreate the space as a ‘Museum of the Future’, aiming for completion by 2015.

As part of a wider regeneration of the Exhibition Road revitalisation as the ‘cultural heartland of London’, the Science Museum will undertake a redevelopment designed by Wilkinson Eyre Architects which incorporates a new facade, new galleries, lifts and SkySpace - a cavernous rooftop space and 'destination cafe' dedicated to cosmology.

“I really like the concept that there’s so much going on in the museum that they’re kind of fighting to get out,” says Paul Baker, Wilkinson Eyre Director and architect for the project. He is describing the Beacon, the glass and light fašade set to burst out from within the existing columned entrance. Acting like a lighthouse for the Museum, the Beacon will allow the building to be acknowledged from either end of Exhibition Road and create an entrance to inspire and excite visitors. Its underbelly will act as a screen entertaining and enticing visitors.

The redesign is an extension of the partnership between Wilkinson Eyre and the Museum which has developed over the past 15 years as they have collaborated on the ‘Museum of the Future’ framework devised to bring the museum through into its centenary year. “We’ve enjoyed working with Wilkinson Eyre in the past as they are one of those firms that work in a space between art and technology,” says the Museum's Head of Creative Direction, Tim Molloy. “They bring a vivacity to engineering which we very much enjoy.”

The redesign celebrates the Museum’s centenary year and is seen as an opportunity to pull the museum into the 21st century. Molloy explains that it is also a chance to change perspectives: “We’ve always been known as a museum that’s interactive, really for the last 100 years. Where you can see things as well as do things. That’s something that has been commonly misinterpreted as being about kids...that’s something we want to change to show that it’s about creating conversation.”

On a functional level, the new design will resolve acknowledged movement issues upon entering and within the building. “The building is made up of a long thin sequence of spaces culminating in the welcome wing. The idea was that we created some visual identity between floors. As you go deeper into the building you kind of lose the identity of the different floors,” said Baker noting that the visitor tends to work across the ground floor. “The way we worked here is we made a computer model of the building. We looked at the shapes and relationships all down the building and worked out how we could manipulate them.”

Part of this manipulation is the inclusion of three new lifts which encourage upward circulation. The entrance will also be opened up with multiple entrances reducing the bottleneck effect previously suffered.

The project will be progressed through several stages commencing with the creation of the Beacon and culminating in SkySpace which will commence circa 2013. Before these works can commence, however, the big push is on gaining funding for the project. Molloy advises that despite current economics, he is confident about this challenge: “I’m always very positive about recessions. I think a period of restraint is very good for creativity. It allows you to reflect and allows us to be future focused…One of the things to guide us out is science and technology and we are confident that this is something that people will invest in.”

Niki May Young
News Editor

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=11762

New plans for science museum in kensington.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #1457
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

more news and pics of Vauxhall.

New London tower design steered into planning
A new landmark mixed use tower set for the London borough of Vauxhall has been submitted by Make Architects for planning approval. Located on a brownfield site on Bondway in Vauxhall, The Octave, a 149m tall building supports the planned regeneration of the Vauxhall, Battersea and Nine Elms OAPF area and is within an area allocated for a potential cluster of new tall buildings in Vauxhall.

The scheme will contain 10% employment use and 90% residential accommodation. 376 new homes are drawn into the plans, 30% of which will be classed as affordable. A community floor at level 36 provides recreation, business and function spaces accessible to all residents. The employment area increases the current site provision and incorporates ground level amenity retail outlets along with three floors of subsidised start-up office accommodation.

The building is divided into eight stepping forms that cascade from a central high point, down towards the north and south. Roof terraces incorporating planting boxes are arranged at the top of each building segment and the articulation of the building form provides dual-aspect windows to every apartment. Generous winter gardens to almost all apartments create a flexible private amenity area, provide year-round access to outside space and along with the roof terraces and overall form, maximise the stunning city views available in all directions.

Sustainable measures include biomass boilers which will provide 25% renewable energy consumption and contribute to a 30% overall reduction in carbon use, and a one in one hundred year (plus 30%) sustainable urban drainage system protects the local infrastructure. Located adjacent to the Vauxhall transport interchange, public and green methods of transport are encouraged and 25 car parking spaces, 22 motor cycle spaces and 568 bicycle spaces are provided.

The existing site environment is dominated by rail, underground, and road transport. Proposed public realm improvements acknowledge these vital systems and take measures to enhance the pedestrian experience. New landscaping will connect Bondway to Vauxhall Park, enhancements to adjacent routes through the railway viaduct will provide improved lighting and safety, a separate service route will ensure primary pedestrian areas remain clear and an increase in ground level public spaces allows seating and tree planting at the base of the building.

link: http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=11786
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #1458
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

The shape of the tower is very nice, but i think i have seen enough random cladding for a while. It's starting to get real old.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1459
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

The skyline of a possible future central London looks simply magnificent.
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #1460
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

London has by far the best projects I've seen going on in Europe.

The first page list makes me drool with excitement!

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom