daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #14681
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,020
Likes (Received): 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
I honestly feel that London is gradually losing it's unique heritage and culture as a result of many of these monolithic buildings. It now resembles Dubai far more than anything I would traditionally affiliate with London. I know this is a skyscraper forum, and a place where they are meant to be appreciated, but for me - they have destroyed this city. It's callous that so many of these have been built with absolute-total disregard for any of London's history or customs. It was once among the most beautiful cities in the world, now it's been degraded and violated to a point where I could describe it only as a pathetic, amateurish mess.
You're entitled to your opinion. But I couldn't disagree more.

The real damage to London's architectural heritage was done in the first four or five decades after WW2. What's happening now - and has been happening over the past 10-15 years - is something of an architectural renaissance for the city. The vast majority of buildings to have been replaced by this recent surge in construction were unsympathetic, ill conceived and no more than 60 years old. If they defined London at all, they certainly didn't define the utopian London about which you wax lyrical. We are well rid of them.

Of course some parts of London have changed dramatically. That's only to be expected of one of the two greatest, most influential and most exciting cities on earth. This isn't a museum. But let's have a bit of perspective, shall we? While there are, obviously, a huge number of high rise buildings either built, under construction or planned, there are still vast swathes of the city where the building stock remains much as it has been since Edwardian, Victorian or even Georgian times.

London is still the same city. Still as beautiful as it ever was. Still as ugly as it ever was. But it is simultaneously a new and bigger city, with a rapidly burgeoning population that, in conjunction with a self imposed green belt, necessitates greater height and density of development, not a greater emphasis on low rise, urban sprawl.

London isn't getting everything right, of course. But, on balance, I think it's doing a pretty good job. The city I love and call home has never looked better to me. And I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes and grows over the coming years.
__________________
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #14682
Xvioxify
Registered User
 
Xvioxify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 72
Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. But I couldn't disagree more.

The real damage to London's architectural heritage was done in the first four or five decades after WW2. What's happening now - and has been happening over the past 10-15 years - is something of an architectural renaissance for the city. The vast majority of buildings to have been replaced by this recent surge in construction were unsympathetic, ill conceived and no more than 60 years old. If they defined London at all, they certainly didn't define the utopian London about which you wax lyrical. We are well rid of them.

Of course some parts of London have changed dramatically. That's only to be expected of one of the two greatest, most influential and most exciting cities on earth. This isn't a museum. But let's have a bit of perspective, shall we? While there are, obviously, a huge number of high rise buildings either built, under construction or planned, there are still vast swathes of the city where the building stock remains much as it has been since Edwardian, Victorian or even Georgian times.

London is still the same city. Still as beautiful as it ever was. Still as ugly as it ever was. But it is simultaneously a new and bigger city, with a rapidly burgeoning population that, in conjunction with a self imposed green belt, necessitates greater height and density of development, not a greater emphasis on low rise, urban sprawl.

London isn't getting everything right, of course. But, on balance, I think it's doing a pretty good job. The city I love and call home has never looked better to me. And I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes and grows over the coming years.

Here, here!!
__________________

storms991 liked this post
Xvioxify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #14683
hugh
Registered User
 
hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,728
Likes (Received): 1227

Re JimB's post - wouldn't let me add a like - so here it is.
__________________
In art we trust.

JimB liked this post
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #14684
SE9
South East Nine
 
SE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 33,913
Likes (Received): 60367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
I honestly feel that London is gradually losing it's unique heritage and culture as a result of many of these monolithic buildings. It now resembles Dubai far more than anything I would traditionally affiliate with London. I know this is a skyscraper forum, and a place where they are meant to be appreciated, but for me - they have destroyed this city. It's callous that so many of these have been built with absolute-total disregard for any of London's history or customs. It was once among the most beautiful cities in the world, now it's been degraded and violated to a point where I could describe it only as a pathetic, amateurish mess.
Feel free to check out the photo gallery: LONDON: A World Capital

I'll leave it at that.
__________________
-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #14685
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
I honestly feel that London is gradually losing it's unique heritage and culture as a result of many of these monolithic buildings. It now resembles Dubai far more than anything I would traditionally affiliate with London. I know this is a skyscraper forum, and a place where they are meant to be appreciated, but for me - they have destroyed this city. It's callous that so many of these have been built with absolute-total disregard for any of London's history or customs. It was once among the most beautiful cities in the world, now it's been degraded and violated to a point where I could describe it only as a pathetic, amateurish mess.
You're by far the most depressing member on this forum. Lighten up, would you?
__________________

≈Adamski≈, LionHeart1503 liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #14686
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis
 
alexandru.mircea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,922
Likes (Received): 10736

That chunk of photos on the previous page makes my browser freeze even though the computer has 4GB of RAM memory
__________________
Doors and architecture of my town.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Opulentus liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #14687
GB1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 393
Likes (Received): 146

Can someone tell me what's happening with the diamond tower ?. As it's taking a long time to rise, when it was meant to do so, months ago.
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #14688
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,020
Likes (Received): 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Feel free to check out the photo gallery: LONDON: A World Capital

I'll leave it at that.
I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for that link, SE9.

It's a simply wonderful thread. You've a done a superb job on it. So much so that I couldn't drag myself away from it before going through all 48 pages.

I will now get to bed far later than I intended. Bastard!
__________________

SE9, Ivanator liked this post
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #14689
Grimbarian
Registered User
 
Grimbarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 182
Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
Can someone tell me what's happening with the diamond tower ?. As it's taking a long time to rise, when it was meant to do so, months ago.
There are currently utilities works going on in neighbouring area (Heron Quays, Westferry Road) seems site prep will continue when that's done
__________________

JimB liked this post
Grimbarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #14690
Tellvis
Living the dream...
 
Tellvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London - Peckham - Sidcup
Posts: 593
Likes (Received): 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for that link, SE9.

It's a simply wonderful thread. You've a done a superb job on it. So much so that I couldn't drag myself away from it before going through all 48 pages.

I will now get to bed far later than I intended. Bastard!

Yes very true, once you start rolling back through the pages of that fantastic thread you simply can't stop. So many beautiful amazing photos of London.
But it should come with a health warning....
__________________

JimB, Grimbarian liked this post
Tellvis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #14691
littleboxes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London
Posts: 41
Likes (Received): 49

I too decided to have a look at the London: A World Capital and it wasn’t long before I had tears streaming down my face. I was born in London in 1953 and saw the changes that happened over the years. I used to play on the bomb sights in Battersea and Nine Elms when I was a little kid. I can remember when the Beatles first appeared and “Swinging London” of the 1960’s. I was studying Fashion and Textile Design during the 1970’s and can remember when the Punks first began to be seen down the Kings Road in 1975/1976. London changed once again in the 1980’s. I was studying at the Slade School of Fine Art in the mid 1980’s and have such wonderful memories of Bloomsbury. I left London in 2008 and am recovering from cancer so I can’t get to London that easily to visit. But visiting isn’t the same. There is nothing like being a “Londoner”. For a while we feel we take “ownership” of London and it becomes OUR city. Seeing all those young people enjoying London and making it there own moves me in ways I can’t quite describe. Since the London Olympics London is going through a period of redevelopment that I think is astonishing. It isn’t quite my city anymore as it now belongs to the young from all over the world that have moved there for what may be only a short while to make their fortune. But they will always be Londoners wherever they might move on to later in their lives. Seeing the photos in the thread has reminded me of what an incredible place London was, is, and is becoming.
SE9 what a wonderful contribution you make to Skyscrapercity. I can’t thank you enough for reminding me what it means to be a “Londoner”.
__________________
littleboxes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #14692
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,440
Likes (Received): 796

^ that list is insane! London is booming... it's outstanding to see all of these projects all in one place. I didn't quite realise how much was going on in Stratford!

Keep up the work guys... this is the best thread on the forum.
__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #14693
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,440
Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleboxes View Post
I too decided to have a look at the London: A World Capital and it wasn’t long before I had tears streaming down my face. I was born in London in 1953 and saw the changes that happened over the years. I used to play on the bomb sights in Battersea and Nine Elms when I was a little kid. I can remember when the Beatles first appeared and “Swinging London” of the 1960’s. I was studying Fashion and Textile Design during the 1970’s and can remember when the Punks first began to be seen down the Kings Road in 1975/1976. London changed once again in the 1980’s. I was studying at the Slade School of Fine Art in the mid 1980’s and have such wonderful memories of Bloomsbury. I left London in 2008 and am recovering from cancer so I can’t get to London that easily to visit. But visiting isn’t the same. There is nothing like being a “Londoner”. For a while we feel we take “ownership” of London and it becomes OUR city. Seeing all those young people enjoying London and making it there own moves me in ways I can’t quite describe. Since the London Olympics London is going through a period of redevelopment that I think is astonishing. It isn’t quite my city anymore as it now belongs to the young from all over the world that have moved there for what may be only a short while to make their fortune. But they will always be Londoners wherever they might move on to later in their lives. Seeing the photos in the thread has reminded me of what an incredible place London was, is, and is becoming.
SE9 what a wonderful contribution you make to Skyscrapercity. I can’t thank you enough for reminding me what it means to be a “Londoner”.
That's a beautiful story about your life as a Londoner mate. It's people like you that makes London the greatest city in the world.
__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Ivanator, Tellvis, Grimbarian, JustWatch liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #14694
potto
Registered User
 
potto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 17,696
Likes (Received): 9106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
I honestly feel that London is gradually losing it's unique heritage and culture as a result of many of these monolithic buildings.
you do realise how vast London is right? They are not all being squeezed into Putney.
__________________

TedStriker liked this post
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #14695
Opulentus
Registered User
 
Opulentus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Norwich
Posts: 321
Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
you do realise how vast London is right? They are not all being squeezed into Putney.
Yes, I know, but that in my opinion makes it worse. The skyline now looks somewhat messy and is a random assortment of this and that, with close to no attempt to make the architecture merge with the surrounding buildings. I think it's quite an insult to build a tall, imposing tower right alongside a quaint, Georgian house, for example. And I've seen that kind of story occur over and over again. I think more respect is needed when considering where and what to construct in certain areas, because at the moment it seems as if very little is taken.
__________________
Committed Anti-Modernist
-
"In this age of ugliness, an act of beauty is an act of defiance"
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #14696
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,351
Likes (Received): 893

The discussion is too black and white. It is certainly true that much of this new architecture gives London back the bulk and density that was taken away from her during post war modernization. Much of it is very impressive and replaces rotten concrete eyesores. Investment in infrastructure and public space makes the city a better place. The food is better than ever before. The city is cleaner and safer. London is again the capital of the world.

But there is always a flipside. And I know many Londoners mourn the death of the things that make London unique. And this is not about the new architecture. It's about gentrification, about the cleaning up and dullification of the city. Soho is being ruined to serve the millionaires who want to live there now. Much of the East End faces the same threat. London is sanitized to serve a global elite of people who have no connection with the city. The gloomy post-war architecture did at least fit in with the urban environment, much of this new stuff does not. This deals a blow to London's reputation as a city of class, style and depth. Canary Wharf should reflect the history of the area in its architecture - empire, trade and the working class - yet it seems to draw inspiration from Miami. This upsets people.

To keep an open mind I think it's important to be able to understand and hold both of these two conflicting views.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #14697
Opulentus
Registered User
 
Opulentus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Norwich
Posts: 321
Likes (Received): 612



The perils of globalisation.
__________________
Committed Anti-Modernist
-
"In this age of ugliness, an act of beauty is an act of defiance"
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #14698
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,001
Likes (Received): 10970

Principal Place | Shoreditch EC2

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=431133

Official website: http://www.principaltower.com


Project facts
  • Address: Principal Place, Worship Street, London EC2
  • London borough: Hackney
  • Developer: Brookfield and Concord Pacific
  • Architect: Foster + Partners
  • Height: 161m and 67m
  • Floors: 51 and 17



From today

Principal Place from a bus Mk2 by Luke, on Flickr
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #14699
.Adam
Registered User
 
.Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
The discussion is too black and white. It is certainly true that much of this new architecture gives London back the bulk and density that was taken away from her during post war modernization. Much of it is very impressive and replaces rotten concrete eyesores. Investment in infrastructure and public space makes the city a better place. The food is better than ever before. The city is cleaner and safer. London is again the capital of the world. But there is always a flipside. And I know many Londoners mourn the death of the things that make London unique. And this is not about the new architecture. It's about gentrification, about the cleaning up and dullification of the city. Soho is being ruined to serve the millionaires who want to live there now. Much of the East End faces the same threat. London is sanitized to serve a global elite of people who have no connection with the city. The gloomy post-war architecture did at least fit in with the urban environment, much of this new stuff does not. This deals a blow to London's reputation as a city of class, style and depth. Canary Wharf should reflect the history of the area in its architecture - empire, trade and the working class - yet it seems to draw inspiration from Miami. This upsets people. To keep an open mind I think it's important to be able to understand and hold both of these two conflicting views.
Class, style and depth eh? Working class towers in Canary Wharf?
Soho and the East End filled with millionaires.... Ever thought of getting a job at the Daily Mail?

Time and time again you comment on London when it's clear your views are based on nothing more than hyperbole and generalisation.
__________________

Infinite Jest, LionHeart1503 liked this post
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #14700
.Adam
Registered User
 
.Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleboxes View Post
I too decided to have a look at the London: A World Capital and it wasn’t long before I had tears streaming down my face. I was born in London in 1953 and saw the changes that happened over the years. I used to play on the bomb sights in Battersea and Nine Elms when I was a little kid. I can remember when the Beatles first appeared and “Swinging London” of the 1960’s. I was studying Fashion and Textile Design during the 1970’s and can remember when the Punks first began to be seen down the Kings Road in 1975/1976. London changed once again in the 1980’s. I was studying at the Slade School of Fine Art in the mid 1980’s and have such wonderful memories of Bloomsbury. I left London in 2008 and am recovering from cancer so I can’t get to London that easily to visit. But visiting isn’t the same. There is nothing like being a “Londoner”. For a while we feel we take “ownership” of London and it becomes OUR city. Seeing all those young people enjoying London and making it there own moves me in ways I can’t quite describe. Since the London Olympics London is going through a period of redevelopment that I think is astonishing. It isn’t quite my city anymore as it now belongs to the young from all over the world that have moved there for what may be only a short while to make their fortune. But they will always be Londoners wherever they might move on to later in their lives. Seeing the photos in the thread has reminded me of what an incredible place London was, is, and is becoming. SE9 what a wonderful contribution you make to Skyscrapercity. I can’t thank you enough for reminding me what it means to be a “Londoner”.
I too thoroughly enjoyed reading your story, and today on this sad day of remembrance it's been a true pleasure to hear all the stories of those Londoners and the people who make this city what it is today.
__________________

JimB liked this post
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu