daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #14921
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 11293

Whilst I was up there yesterday I could also remember Crystal Place , Putney , Southall in addition to Wembley. I still can't believe it was only ú6 for entry , i must have been up there for at least an hour just taking in the views.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #14922
JimB

Likes (Received): 4866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
Nice to see they've ruined Battersea.
I respect the fact that your taste quite clearly differs from many on this forum.

But I find your ignorance - and your insistence on inflicting it upon the rest of us repeatedly - to be offensive.

If you must comment on this thread, please at least show other posters and readers the basic courtesy of educating yourself about the various projects you condemn before beginning to type. Failing that, please read and remember the succession of posts that SE9 so carefully and comprehensively posted for your benefit a few pages back.

I hope that it's not too presumptuous for me to say that we are all bored of your attempts to paint the redevelopment of derelict former industrial sites, rubbish strewn wastelands and unsightly, flatpack warehousing as somehow equating to the wanton destruction of London's architectural heritage.

It's tedious, infantile behaviour on your part. Stop it.

Last edited by JimB; July 24th, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #14923
Xvioxify

Likes (Received): 72

LONDON | Projects & Construction

Quote:
Nice to see they've ruined Battersea.

For God Sake! Say something nice for once, other than the bile that you spout out whenever you say anything! I dare you to say something positive about London for once! This forum is about discussing what's great about London and its developments, not forcing everyone to listen to your minority and frankly ignorant opinions and angry ranting! If you choose to come on this forum, please refrain from constantly spouting ignorant and annoying bile!

≈Adamski≈, Highrisetower319 liked this post
Xvioxify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #14924
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7506

Quote:
Hedge-Fund Tenants Set for Record Growth in London’s Mayfair

Hedge funds and private-equity firms are on track to lease a record amount of space in London’s Mayfair & St James’s neighborhoods this year as an influx of wealthy investors makes the city a more attractive location.

“There’s a higher than average amount of space under offer in Mayfair and St James’s and a large proportion of that is from hedge funds and private equity firms,” Elaine Rossall, head of London research at broker Cushman & Wakefield Inc., said by phone. “There’s a number of new entrants to the market also seeking space.”

Europe-focused hedge funds attracted more money than the U.S. and Asia combined in the first five months of 2015.

Alternative-investment firms have been increasing their share of London’s financial-services leasing market since 2011 as investment-banking employment shrinks and asset management grows. They accounted for 29 percent of all new office space rented in Mayfair and St James’s this year, 1 percentage point more than in 2014, the data show.

“High-net-worth individuals and sovereign wealth funds have been coming in, so therefore London becomes an appealing market for them to grow their business,” Rossall said. “We’re also in a much better economic environment.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ndon-s-mayfair
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #14925
Shard-on

Likes (Received): 57

Battersea is all about renewing dereliction and invigorating a previously empty area of London. Your point would be more well received if you'd actually bothered justifying it. Why not target Aldgate instead (an area I think is being ruined) ? Rather than posting 'I hate this' 'This ruins that' like an 11 year old movie critic actually act with some of the maturity that SE9 seems to use when, time and again, proving you wrong. Why is it being ruined?
Shard-on no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #14926
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-on View Post
Why not target Aldgate instead (an area I think is being ruined) ?
Why do you think so?
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #14927
Shard-on

Likes (Received): 57

I walked into that. Low quality buildings such as 60 Commercial Road that will date very quickly, all competing to look bright and brash, which gives no impression of uniformity or cohesion. Goodman's fields (the latest phase) looks smart and sophisticated on render but in reality seems cheap and ugly. Aldgate, or should I say the newest architecture there, seems like a crap City of London. Too little cohesion, not enough quality...
Otherwise, I might add, I love what is going on around London, and this thread is a pleasure to read.
Shard-on no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #14928
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 312

The power station will look better once done and it been used is better than it been left to crumble.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #14929
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 617

I apologise if some of my posts have caused offense, it was not intentional. I also accept that many others on here don't share my views, which I guess is understandable.

But I simply struggle to see why Battersea Power Station, a pinnacle of English Art Deco architecture, needs to have a collection of multi-story, glass flats built right alongside it; with seemingly total disregard for the heritage and historic-value of the building. Why not just restore the exterior and re-construct the roof instead? Make it into a museum? Make it into a building of some sort of public-use? There is so little park/green space within London, perhaps it's surrounding grounds could have been turned into something like that? I just don't feel that building a load of flats around and inside it is exactly the right answer.

And, to Xvioxfy - I find it a challenge to say something nice about London when it is being turned into a replica of Dubai before my eyes. It just seems that virtually nothing is being done to preserve London's image. And not just in architectural terms, but in political and social terms too (but that isn't relevant to a skyscraper forum).

Again, I apologise if my comments have been interpreted as 'infantile' or 'ignorant' - and I can see why you may feel that way, but as I said earlier, that was not my intention.

Stravinsky, Shard-on, JimB liked this post
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #14930
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
But I simply struggle to see why Battersea Power Station, a pinnacle of English Art Deco architecture, needs to have a collection of multi-story, glass flats built right alongside it; with seemingly total disregard for the heritage and historic-value of the building. Why not just restore the exterior and re-construct the roof instead? Make it into a museum? Make it into a building of some sort of public-use? There is so little park/green space within London, perhaps it's surrounding grounds could have been turned into something like that? I just don't feel that building a load of flats around and inside it is exactly the right answer.
What would you do, if you were a developer? You would maximize your profits, wouldn't you?

Your questions already carry their answers.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #14931
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61479

Quote:
I apologise if some of my posts have caused offense, it was not intentional. I also accept that many others on here don't share my views, which I guess is understandable.

And, to Xvioxfy - I find it a challenge to say something nice about London when it is being turned into a replica of Dubai before my eyes. It just seems that virtually nothing is being done to preserve London's image. And not just in architectural terms, but in political and social terms too (but that isn't relevant to a skyscraper forum).

Again, I apologise if my comments have been interpreted as 'infantile' or 'ignorant' - and I can see why you may feel that way, but as I said earlier, that was not my intention.
The scheme to rehabilitate the Battersea Power Station had to be financially viable. The power station has been derelict for decades, in an area dominated by warehouses and depots or disused structures.

The power station forms the centrepiece of the new ú8 billion ($12.5bn) development. The fašade materials of the surrounding buildings differ from the power station itself so as not to detract from it. The building itself will be mixed-use, hosting offices, homes, retail, an arts centre and observation space amongst other things.

London is nothing like Dubai, let alone 'replicating' it. Take it from someone that lives in one and is in-and-out of the other.

Quicksilver, Union Man, napowen, JimB, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #14932
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
There is so little park/green space within London

Nearly 40% of London is park/green space.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...71&postcount=1

Battersea Power Station is literally next door to Battersea Park, and a new Linear Park is being created as part of the Nine Elms regeneration, again literally next door to this development but on the other side.

Battersea Park

The new Linear Park

There's even a large amount of green space proposed infront of the Power Station as part of the redevelopment.

Old July 26th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #14933
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3667

Quote:
There is so little park/green space within London
You are trolling right?
Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #14934
Xvioxify

Likes (Received): 72

LONDON | Projects & Construction

Quote:

Thank you for apologising for your previous posts, and I accept your rather 'different' opinions, however I fail to understand how you persist in your arguments when SE9 etc. have repeatedly corrected you, as shown in the last few posts.

Highrisetower319, JimB liked this post
Xvioxify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #14935
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 312

Going by the pictures, there looks to be more green areas around Battersea power station than before.

JimB liked this post
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #14936
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The whole area around the station looks like it will be a great place to walk around, and the final plan is not even finished yet.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:02 AM   #14937
SE9
South East Nine

Worth mentioning that the render of Battersea Power Station above and on the previous page aren't the final designs (or the latest renders), merely 'placeholder' massing entities released years ago.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #14938
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

Will there be any more direct connection from under the railway bridge right of Battersea Power Station to the whole complex? When I visited the area 3 weeks ago to see the investments, I had to walk around those line of apartments.

Zaz965 liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #14939
stinkysteel

Likes (Received): 71

Battersea is a whole new piece of London being constructed, green spaces aswell. Although I can't afford to live there ( im saving up for a Gehry penthouse) I can't wait to go in a few years and experience the area, some inspirational vistas being planned. Its a real shame the older development to the right over the rail tracks isn't still an available site to build on as part of this current master plan as its a pretty poor design and a bit of a destraction to all the new stuff.
stinkysteel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #14940
SE9
South East Nine

It'll certainly draw crowds when it opens.

stinkysteel, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom