daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #15041
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

Wow, another 3 towers for Stratford. BOOMTOWN

Zaz965 liked this post
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #15042
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy Sheedy View Post
I have to say I personally think the Battersea Power Station project looks pretty awful. I am no Chelsea fan but it would have looked marvelous as a stadium and probably would have been a tourist attraction in its own right. As it is, this magnificent building is being swallowed up by all of the other new buildings and you can't really get a sense of its majesty. I think it's a shame.
I'm not sure that you've properly thought this through.

Reducing Battersea Power Station to a three sided shell to create a mere one quarter of Chelsea's new stadium (which was the plan) would have destroyed the building's integrity almost entirely.

It would no longer have been a stand alone building. It would have had three modern stands attached to it. There would no longer be any true sense of its former, outer dimensions. There would no longer be any sense at all of its former, majestic interior space. It would have been a mere, compromised bit part of a larger whole.

And there would still have been the kind of added development all around it that you complain about.

It would therefore, in fact, have been the worst of all possible outcomes.

Not to mention that Battersea Power Station is a London icon. In terms of spirit, it belongs to all of us. And football being as tribal as it is, it would have been lost to the vast majority of us had Chelsea claimed it for themselves.

SE9, WillBuild, .Adam, AbidM, Langur and 5 others liked this post

Last edited by JimB; August 5th, 2015 at 01:55 AM.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #15043
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60727

Agreed, it's much better for the Power Station and for Chelsea that their vision of a stadium there wasn't realised.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #15044
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Edit.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #15045
SE9
South East Nine

Crossrail Place | Canary Wharf E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=871486

Official website: http://canarywharf.com/arts-events/e...ossrail-place/

Project facts
  • Address: Canary Wharf Station, Upper Bank Street, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Line: Crossrail
  • Architect: Foster + Partners
  • Cost: £500 million ($780m)

The Adams Plaza Bridge at Crossrail Place, photos by chest:

Adams Plaza Bridge 3 by ben veasey, on Flickr

Adams Plaza Bridge by chest, on Flickr

Adams Plaza Bridge 2 by chest, on Flickr
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #15046
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Not to mention that Battersea Power Station is a London icon. In terms of spirit, it belongs to all of us. And football being as tribal as it is, it would have been lost to the vast majority of us had Chelsea claimed it for themselves.
Surely if a buildings an icon it should be marvelled and admired? - not inundated with other structures which detract it's beauty and obscure it from view?
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #15047
SE9
South East Nine

Horizons | Blackwall E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1680827

Official website: http://www.telfordhomes.plc.uk/horizons/

Project facts
  • Address: Horizons, Yabsley Street, London E14
  • Developer: Telford Homes
  • Architect: RMA Architects
  • Floors: 26
  • Homes: 190

Cladding progress at Horizons, photos by chest:

Old August 5th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #15048
SE9
South East Nine

Dollar Bay | Isle of Dogs E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=934424

Official website: http://www.dollarbay.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: 1-18 Dollar Bay Court, London, E14
  • Developer: Citystyle Homes and Mount Anvil
  • Architect: Ian Simpson Architects
  • Height: 109m
  • Floors: 32

Core and floorplates rising at Dollar Bay, photo by chest:

Old August 5th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #15049
SE9
South East Nine

The Peninsula Tower | Greenwich Peninsula SE10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=632984

Official website: http://www.thepeninsulatower.com/

Project facts
  • Address: The Peninsula Tower, Tunnel Avenue, London SE10
  • London borough: Greenwich
  • Developer: Grove Developments
  • Architect: RTKL Associates
  • Floors: 24
  • Homes: 100

The Peninsula Tower and InterContinental hotel nearing completion, photo by chest:

TowerVerre:), Icewave, Union Man, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:14 AM   #15050
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10972

That render of Dollar Bay looks stunning. I fear its relative hight compared to other highrises nearby and it's relative detachedness from the general E14 cluster will see it go un noticed by non skyscraper addicts.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #15051
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
Surely if a buildings an icon it should be marvelled and admired? - not inundated with other structures which detract it's beauty and obscure it from view?
It would be lovely if we lived in an ideal world in which developers restored much loved but derelict buildings at vast expense without expecting anything by way of a return.

But we don't.

We live in a world where much loved but derelict buildings requiring hundreds of millions of pounds worth of urgent restoration and repairs will be lost forever unless developers can see a profit in it for themselves. And that means maximising the potential of the overall site.

And within such parameters, the solution that we will now get is far more acceptable than the Chelsea FC solution.

I'm assuming, of course, that you don't wish to see Battersea Power Station demolished? Because that is what would inevitably have had to happen had its condition not been very soon addressed.

≈Adamski≈ liked this post

Last edited by JimB; August 5th, 2015 at 02:38 AM.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #15052
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

We will get some nice buildings from Foster and Gehry, anyway. Win-win.

potto liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #15053
SE9
South East Nine

24 Savile Row | Mayfair W1

London forum thread: N/A

Official website: http://www.24savilerow.com/

Project facts
  • Address: 24 Savile Row, London W1
  • London borough: Westminster
  • Developer: Resolution Properties
  • Architect: EPR Architects
  • Floors: 6
  • Floorspace: 2,906m²

The completed 24 Savile Row in Mayfair. The building is clad in 10,000 crystalline hand-glazed ceramic tiles:

Old August 5th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #15054
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Perhaps you're not familiar with the eternal saga that preceded this development? Just be bloody glad that BPS is being preserved at all.
Incidentally, the current scheme is all right.

≈Adamski≈ liked this post
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #15055
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

And the view's of BPS through the apartment blocks will be reminescent of the old view of St Pauls - spying glimpses of the facade through alley ways - the tops of the chimneys looming over head.

JimB, Infinite Jest liked this post
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #15056
Greedy Sheedy

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
I'm not sure that you've properly thought this through.

Reducing Battersea Power Station to a three sided shell to create a mere one quarter of Chelsea's new stadium (which was the plan) would have destroyed the building's integrity almost entirely.

It would no longer have been a stand alone building. It would have had three modern stands attached to it. There would no longer be any true sense of its former, outer dimensions. There would no longer be any sense at all of its former, majestic interior space. It would have been a mere, compromised bit part of a larger whole.

And there would still have been the kind of added development all around it that you complain about.

It would therefore, in fact, have been the worst of all possible outcomes.

Slice of humble pie for me it seems :P. I wasn't aware that the proposed developments around the stadium would have been as significantly large or that the stadium design didn't incorporate more of the original structure, my apologies.

I certainly agree that football is tribal but I am not sure it would have been lost to the vast majority, if anything a larger proportion of people would have still had some connection with it. I still think it would have been more beneficial to be turned into a truly iconic stadium over some apartments which could have went in any other area in London that requires redevelopment.

Either way it is what it is and you certainly opened my eyes regarding the previous proposals.

≈Adamski≈, JimB liked this post
Greedy Sheedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #15057
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy Sheedy View Post
Slice of humble pie for me it seems :P. I wasn't aware that the proposed developments around the stadium would have been as significantly large or that the stadium design didn't incorporate more of the original structure, my apologies.

I certainly agree that football is tribal but I am not sure it would have been lost to the vast majority, if anything a larger proportion of people would have still had some connection with it. I still think it would have been more beneficial to be turned into a truly iconic stadium over some apartments which could have went in any other area in London that requires redevelopment.

Either way it is what it is and you certainly opened my eyes regarding the previous proposals.
You're humility is very gentlemanly. It's refreshing to see mate

I think the current proposal is much better than a football stadium. The Chelsea proposals would practically destroy Battersea. I think JimB's explanation was pretty hard to disagree with.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

JimB liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #15058
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Quote:
It would be lovely if we lived in an ideal world in which developers restored much loved but derelict buildings at vast expense without expecting anything by way of a return.

But we don't.

We live in a world where much loved but derelict buildings requiring hundreds of millions of pounds worth of urgent restoration and repairs will be lost forever unless developers can see a profit in it for themselves. And that means maximising the potential of the overall site.

And within such parameters, the solution that we will now get is far more acceptable than the Chelsea FC solution.

I'm assuming, of course, that you don't wish to see Battersea Power Station demolished? Because that is what would inevitably have had to happen had its condition not been very soon addressed.
@Opulentus
I second JimB's post, and furthermore, Battersea Power Station has been admired from a distance for decades. However you couldn't get close. Aside from occasional events, the whole site was fenced and padlocked off. Meanwhile proposed schemes came and went, but none got off the ground. These forlorn lifeless decades have seen the building deteriorate to a roofless decaying ruin. It's true that from some perspectives, it will now be blocked by the new neighbours that will spring up around it. However that is more than compensated because...

1) The building itself will be restored and put to new use.
2) We will finally be able to get up close to it every day (not just occasional events)
3) Its surroundings will improve from derelict wasteland to a lively attractive new urban quarter.
4) The view from the river will remain wide and open, and indeed be enhanced.

Who now wishes that Bankside Power Station had remained a ruin instead of being converted to the wonderful Tate Modern? Further, the whole area around Tate Modern has been rebuilt and regenerated.

I personally love the Nine Elms development. It has everything. It restores a magnificent landmark. There are apartment buildings by Foster, Rogers, and Gehry. There's the striking new US Embassy. Lots of new towers in a well-composed skyline, crowned by the elegant One Nine Elms. Two new Tube stops, a small garden running through middle of site, adjacent to the Thames and beautiful Battersea Park.

You can pick holes with individual buildings and aspects, but as a whole I think it's an absolute model of good quality urban development, and vastly preferable to the fenced-off derelict wasteland most of this site has been for decades.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

JimB, Bligh, AUTOTHRILL, RobH liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #15059
Greedy Sheedy

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
You're humility is very gentlemanly. It's refreshing to see mate
Thanks! I have no problem apologising or admitting a mistake if someone points one out. Plus I mean not to sidetrack the thread with my petty misunderstandings, just merely like to engage in the discussion

JimB liked this post
Greedy Sheedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #15060
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10972

Plus a range of independent eateries and a cooking school at a redoveloped NCGM. It's very popular and easy to bash developers , however without developers the funds needed to get Crossrail and the Northern line extension wouldn't happen or albeit with much greater government borrowing.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom