daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2015, 08:56 PM   #15241
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 11292

You could always put the West London belt of developments as one or as separate zones (Chelsea Harbour , Earl's Court and White City/Shepherd's Bush).

Old Oak Common , Frequently updated ?

I only update that thread because no else does

Great map anyway Steve !

Last edited by Mr Cladding; August 21st, 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:04 PM   #15242
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12104

If I'd seen the question about 10pm I'd have probably spent about 4 hours on a really neat and tidy map that remembered to include all the above.

But I saw it when I was just about to go out (to look at Strawberry Hill House, which was actually closed anyway, because I didn't read the web page properly, ffs), so I took about 5 minutes and it's accordingly quick and dirty!

I mean, I could try and pretend I didn't include Earls Court etc because they haven't really got into full swing yet, but I included OOC and that's still in pre-planning

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:06 PM   #15243
Mr Cladding

Nova Victoria | Victoria SW1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=430049

Official website: http://www.novasw1.com/

Project facts
  • Borough: Westminster
  • Developer: Land Securities
  • Architect: PLP Architecture
  • Homes: 170
  • Office space: 56,000m²
  • Retail space: 8,000m²

As viewed from Wellington Arch , Hyde Park Corner.

The New Victoria Rises by Eugene Regis, on Flickr

stevekeiretsu, Seoul_Korea liked this post
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:09 PM   #15244
Mr Cladding

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
If I'd seen the question about 10pm I'd have probably spent about 4 hours on a really neat and tidy map that remembered to include all the above.

But I saw it when I was just about to go out (to look at Strawberry Hill House, which was actually closed anyway, because I didn't read the web page properly, ffs), so I took about 5 minutes and it's accordingly quick and dirty!

I mean, I could try and pretend I didn't include Earls Court etc because they haven't really got into full swing yet, but I included OOC and that's still in pre-planning
There are three towers on the scale of existing Empress State Tower that are planned to go up in Earl's Court. I post it when i can remember where i saved it too.
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:35 PM   #15245
Mr Cladding

Providence Tower | Blackwall E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=395444

Official website: http://www.providencetower.com/

Project facts
  • Address: Providence Tower, Fairmont Avenue, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Developer: Ballymore Group
  • Architect: SOM
  • Height: 136m
  • Floors: 44

Photo by Bomman

Old August 21st, 2015, 10:29 PM   #15246
Mr Cladding

Chelsea Waterfront | Chelsea SW10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=313119

Official website: http://www.chelsea-waterfront.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: Chelsea Waterfront, Lots Road, London SW10
  • Developer: Hutchison Whampoa
  • Architect: Terry Farrell and Partners
  • Height: 122m | 85m
  • Floors: 37 | 25
  • Homes: 706

Site photo by Farrells

Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:19 AM   #15247
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
so next time you see people throwing around hyperbole about London's traditional urban character "vanishing"
That's not traditional character, it's mostly boring sprawl.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:43 AM   #15248
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Rather like your repetitive posts then.
Worlds first association football match 18.. something in England. Actually we invented football and rugby, cricket, baseball (basically rounders), tennis and hockey, and a shit load of way more important things in the world then I can fit or be bothered to put in this signature.

Oh and Canada.

Seoul_Korea, SE9, Ivanator, Union Man, sk327 liked this post
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:07 AM   #15249
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcwallander View Post
The World’s Leading Startup Cities

Challengers to Silicon Valley include New York, L.A., Boston, Tel Aviv, and London.

The 2015 edition of the Startup Genome Project from Compass provides a new ranking for the world’s leading startup cities. The report is based on data from 11,000 global startup companies, interviews with more than 200 entrepreneurs worldwide, and data from Crunchbase and other sources. Its ranking gauges the world’s leading startup ecosystems—the broad infrastructure of talent, knowledge, entrepreneurs, venture capital, and companies that make up a startup community. The report measures these ecosystems based on their quality of talent, pool of venture capital resources, experience and mentorship provided by startup founders, market reach of their companies, and the ultimate performance and exit value of their companies.

The graph below shows the top 20 global startup ecosystems in the world, according to the study:

SOURCE:
http://www.citylab.com/tech/2015/07/...cities/399623/

skeptical
where is seoul?
even google campus(start up) open only in seoul london tel aviv

http://www.techworld.com/news/startu...world-3520765/

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Zaz965 liked this post
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:16 AM   #15250
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post

skeptical
where is seoul?

You are absolutely correct inno4321, Seoul should be right up there, probably in the top 5. The report does mention that due to language barriers, it was not able to collect sufficient data to evaluate cities in China, Taiwan, Japan, or South Korea, a pretty big omission I know, but understandable.

You are spot on about Seoul though, an incredible city, a bit of a toy shop for Tech geeks like myself!
Worlds first association football match 18.. something in England. Actually we invented football and rugby, cricket, baseball (basically rounders), tennis and hockey, and a shit load of way more important things in the world then I can fit or be bothered to put in this signature.

Oh and Canada.

Seoul_Korea, inno4321 liked this post
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 12:32 PM   #15251
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Great updates and London is booming!

This may be a bit off topic but I was wondering does anyone have any idea how many people live within the M25, not just London? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Sorry if it is off topic but I'm just very curious to find out. Surely there's at least a good 10-11 million people no? London itself I suppose is about 8 million but doesn't the M25 go beyond London?

Cheers!
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:13 PM   #15252
RoosterCg
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
This may be a bit off topic but I was wondering does anyone have any idea how many people live within the M25, not just London? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Sorry if it is off topic but I'm just very curious to find out. Surely there's at least a good 10-11 million people no? London itself I suppose is about 8 million but doesn't the M25 go beyond London?
The London Metropolitan area, which is as close to the definition you asked about is approx 14m, the largest in the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_commuter_belt

Ivanator liked this post
RoosterCg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:21 PM   #15253
london lad

Likes (Received): 2332

Quote:
Not like you to do a sneery and ignorant post, are you ok??

Why bother even to post in this thread, you just come across as a thoroughly unlikeable person with a huge chip on your shoulder, jealousy even. Your probably a pleasant person elsewhere but your just come across as a tw*t here and as such your not particularly popular. Why would anybody deliberately want to make themselves unpopular.

Its pretty clear you don't like London and equally you have limited knowledge of the place so why not just ignore the thread if it bugs you so much?
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:25 PM   #15254
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

The Metropolitan area extends well beyond the M25, as it includes the satellite towns.

Greater London (the city proper), the Greater London Built-up Area (urban area), and the commuter belt (metro area) are different concepts, that don't directly relate with the M25.

If GL omits areas that are however close and contiguous with the rest of the city, the metro area is on the other hand a functional, rather than spatial, definition of city.

A safe bet is to say London is a city of 10 million people, and one of the 4 megacities in Europe.

Last edited by Stravinsky; August 22nd, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:02 PM   #15255
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
The Metropolitan area extends well beyond the M25, as it includes the satellite towns.

Greater London (the city proper), the Greater London Built-up Area (urban area), and the commuter belt (metro area) are different concepts, that don't directly relate with the M25.

If GL omits areas that are however close and contiguous with the rest of the city, the metro area is on the other hand a functional, rather than spatial, definition of city.

A safe bet is to say London is a city of 10 million people, and one of the 4 megacities in Europe.
Yeah cause I was thinking that the metro area wold go beyond the M25. I'm surprised it has never been a part of any census or anything.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:27 PM   #15256
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61479

The M25 bisects administrative divisions, so no accurate data for 'population within the M25' is readily available.

Stravinsky, JD47, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:29 PM   #15257
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post

skeptical
where is seoul?
The report isn't about tech, it's about startups...
In that vein, they're obviously looking at access to capital, etc.
Most tech companies are startups but not all startups are tech/internet companies.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:15 PM   #15258
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
And especially for our more hysterical members, I did a new version where I shaded in light blue any areas which are still 90%+ low rise, traditional housing - terraces and semis with gardens etc, and no plans to bulldoze and replace these vast swathes with grotesque globalised towering glass and steel monstrosities that look like they belong in dubai, etc, etc

http://i.imgur.com/RR4Oc4T.jpg

so next time you see people throwing around hyperbole about London's traditional urban character "vanishing", "the entirety of London at threat" and so on, you can think of this for a dose of perspective :P

(I originally wrote "reality" instead of "perspective" there, but I shouldn't be outright misleading, this map is somewhat a joke, as there are lots of smaller pockets of dense/tall/urban areas within the blue bit, and there are also "blue bits" within the central bit I left unshaded. nevertheless, I hope it illustrates the sheer scale of traditional suburbia which remains in comparison to the more heavily (re)developing parts this thread inevitably focuses on)
Great job with the maps stevekeiretsu

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:43 PM   #15259
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
The other thing I should have mentioned about the postcodes is that they give you a pretty good rough idea where things are without even needing to google, because they're roughly decipherable as such: N/E/S/W = North / East / South / West, with EC and WC in the middle (east central and west central), and a lower number being nearer the middle of london.
For London postcodes, barring the 1st of each, they go by alphabetical order of district.

For example:
  • N1: closest northern districts to the centre of London (Islington etc)
  • N2 to N22: by alphabetical order
    For example, N2 is East Finchley, N3 is Finchley, N4 is Finsbury Park, N5 is Highbury, N6 is Highgate, N7 is Holloway, N8 is Hornsey, and so on.

• E1: closest eastern districts to the centre of London (Spitalfields etc)
  • E2 to E18: by alphabetical order
    For example, E2 is Bethnal Green, E3 is Bow, E4 is Chingford, E5 is Clapton, E6 is East Ham, E7 is Forest Gate, E8 is Hackney, and so on.

• SE1: closest southeastern districts to the centre of London (Southwark etc)
  • SE2 to SE18 (the original SE districts): by alphabetical order
    For example, SE2 is Abbey Wood, SE3 is Blackheath, SE4 is Brockley, SE5 is Camberwell, SE6 is Catford, SE7 is Charlton, SE8 is Deptford, and so on.
  • SE20 to SE28 (districts added later): by alphabetical order
    For example, SE20 is Anerley, SE21 is Dulwich, SE22 is East Dulwich, SE23 is Forest Hill, SE24 is Herne Hill, SE25 is South Norwood, SE26 is Sydenham, and so on.

• SW1: closest southwestern districts to the centre of London (Belgravia etc)
  • SW2 to SW10 (the original SW districts): by alphabetical order
    For example, SW2 is Brixton, SW3 is Chelsea, SW4 is Clapham, SW5 is Earls Court, SW6 is Fulham, SW7 is South Kensington, SW8 is South Lambeth, and so on.
  • SW11 to SW20 (districts added later): by alphabetical order
    For example, SW11 is Battersea, SW12 is Balham, SW13 is Barnes, SW14 is Mortlake, SW15 is Putney, SW16 is Streatham, SW17 is Tooting, and so on.

Of course some districts overlap (for example Brixton is as much SW9 as it is SW2) and most postcodes cover more than one district (for example SE3 is Blackheath and Kidbrooke) but that's the general scheme of things.

stevekeiretsu, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:00 AM   #15260
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Four shortlisted for last major Crossrail job

Crossrail has shortlisted four contractors for a £30m job to build a permanent train sidings depot at Plumstead in south east London

The job is the last major civil engineering project on the giant Crossrail project and has attracted Vinci, Balfour Beatty, Alstom Transport UK and VolkerFitzpatrick into the contest.

Under the present timetable, the contract will be awarded in June next year to allow a one year period before works actually start on site and the maintenance facility is handed over in mid 2018.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...ail-major-job/

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom