daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #15421
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10972

Imperial West | White City W12

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1534686

Official website: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/imperialwest

Project facts
  • New campus for Imperial College London
  • London borough: Hammersmith & Fulham
  • Developer: Voreda and Imperial College London
  • Cost: £3 billion ($4.8bn)
  • Site area: 25 acres

Rising Cladding by Luke, on Flickr

Imperial West by Luke, on Flickr

Imperial West by Luke, on Flickr

TowerVerre:), JimB, Seoul_Korea liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #15422
chrissus83

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroranger View Post
Manhattan Loft Gardens.

I can't believe how misleading this render is, the tower is fine but immediate environs is complete fiction.

What is difficult to see is that the area has quite a steep slope. In the render it is depicted as level. I presume the walk illustrated angles from the T-junction through what is now the Get Living London pavilion yet there is no sign of the DLR entrance or canopy from Stratford International.
Caveat emptor, so much for trading standards.
Maybe it's because this tower was designed before the Olympics and before even the East village was built and so the context had to be imagined from an illustrative masterplan...

The East village is actually pretty great as is the landscaping. I believe the Lifshutz Davidson Sandilands scheme diagonally opposite keeps this clear axis to the velodrome (the angle the render is taken from) and is looking to modify the DLR canopy, so the result should be relatively accurate.

Quicksilver liked this post
chrissus83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #15423
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6574

Damn London is booming!

stinkysteel, VDB liked this post
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #15424
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

agreed! It's great to see that the UK has the fastest growth rate of ANY developed country!

BrickellResidence, Bligh liked this post
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #15425
TitanSound
Mr Beardy Drummer

Likes (Received): 12

Not really. I imagine most of these new builds are sold off plan to investors who will either rent them out at stupid rates or let them sit empty as an investment.

Stravinsky, metroranger liked this post
TitanSound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #15426
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

I guess it's plain obvious that none of these developments are actually expanding the housing stock, in spite of the current demand.

I mean, with population growth, one would think they'd build normal homes for normal people.

TitanSound liked this post
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #15427
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
I guess it's plain obvious that none of these developments are actually expanding the housing stock, in spite of the current demand.

I mean, with population growth, one would think they'd build normal homes for normal people.
Sounds like sour grapes. I'm just happy that at least one eu city is able to sustain a construction boom and conpete in the world.
Hopefully before the century is out, your own city will be able to build something relivent to a skyscraper forum, something worth reporting about on a projects and construction thread for instance

Last edited by stop that; September 15th, 2015 at 05:23 PM.
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #15428
Mr Cladding

Chelsea Waterfront | Chelsea SW10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=313119

Official website: http://www.chelsea-waterfront.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: Chelsea Waterfront, Lots Road, London SW10
  • Developer: Hutchison Whampoa
  • Architect: Terry Farrell and Partners
  • Height: 122m | 85m
  • Floors: 37 | 25
  • Homes: 706

Chelsea Waterfront by Luke, on Flickr

Chelsea Waterfront by Luke, on Flickr
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #15429
Mr Cladding

Chelsea Creek | Fulham SW6

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=981984

Official website: http://www.chelseacreek.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: 9 Park Street, London SW6
  • Developer: Berkeley Group
  • Architect: Squire and Partners
  • Homes: 475
  • Site area: 7.5 acres

Chelsea creek by Luke, on Flickr

Chelsea Creek by Luke, on Flickr
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #15430
Mr Cladding

Lillie Square | Fulham SW6

London forum thread:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...323805&page=15

Official website: ="http://www.lilliesquare.com/

Project facts
  • Address: Lillie Road , SW6 , Fulham
  • London borough: Hammersmith and Fulham
  • Developer: Capital and Countries (Capco)
  • Architect: John McAslan & Partners and Farrells
  • Floors: 18 - 6
  • Residential Units: 1008 (200 will be replacement homes to those lost as a result of demolition of the nearby council homes)

Lillie Square by Luke, on Flickr

Rickett Street by Luke, on Flickr

Seoul_Korea, Highrisetower319, VDB liked this post

Last edited by Mr Cladding; September 15th, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #15431
Mr Cladding

Earls Court Regeneration | Earls Court SW5

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1323805

Official website: http://www.myearlscourt.com/

Project facts
  • Borough: Hammersmith and Fulham
  • Developer: Capital and Counties
  • Masterplan architect: Terry Farrell and Partners
  • Cost: £8 billion ($12.bn)
  • Homes: 7,500
  • Floorspace: 938,000m²

Erasing History by Luke, on Flickr

A new district for London by Luke, on Flickr

Earls Court 1 by Luke, on Flickr

Earls Court 2 by Luke, on Flickr
Old September 15th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #15432
Mr Cladding

375 Kensington High Street | Kensington W14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hp?p=126180788

Official website: http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/new-h...on-high-street

Project facts
  • Address: 375 Kensington High Street, London W14 8QH
  • Developer: Berkeley Group
  • Architect: TBC
  • Homes: 375
  • Site area: TBC

Kensington Construction by Luke, on Flickr

Seoul_Korea liked this post
Old September 16th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #15433
AngrySlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post

I think the problem is that we are so far behind on the supply side, what we are building now is a mere drop in the ocean to what is actually needed. They could build normal homes (I'm assuming you mean semi detached houses?), but they would be even more expensive and house less people. While it's great to come here and see some of the skyscrapers that are being built, there is little to boast about concerning current London housing stock.

Also I've noticed some of the replies to your posts have been unnecessarily nasty. While I don't agree with a lot of your posts I still value them, and I kind of wish people would reply with a little more common courtesy. I hope you're not discouraged, keep on truckin'!
Old September 16th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #15434
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1730

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySlob View Post
I think the problem is that we are so far behind on the supply side, what we are building now is a mere drop in the ocean to what is actually needed. They could build normal homes (I'm assuming you mean semi detached houses?), but they would be even more expensive and house less people. While it's great to come here and see some of the skyscrapers that are being built, there is little to boast about concerning current London housing stock.

Also I've noticed some of the replies to your posts have been unnecessarily nasty. While I don't agree with a lot of your posts I still value them, and I kind of wish people would reply with a little more common courtesy. I hope you're not discouraged, keep on truckin'!
Unfortunately it is not just a supply problem, the market is broken and society is separating into the propertied and non-propertied. First time buyers are being excluded as they do not have the equity to get on the ladder (without the bank of mum & dads help). Meanwhile those with equity can take out more and more loans on the strength of that equity to buy more. The competition between those with equity is inflating prices whilst excluding more and more first timers. On the radio this morning it was announced prices increasing by a £1000 a week in some parts of London.
The price of these mortgages is passed on in higher rents thus preventing tenants saving enough for a deposits. As rents increase the pressure for rent controls will increase as tenants will be force to move elsewhere.
Meanwhile others are cashing in on the property inflation by buying properties and getting a 5% return just leaving them empty.
The 2008 banking crash was caused in large by the bundling up of sub-prime mortgages. Now we have sub-prime mortgages once removed as loans are being made on an unsustainable rental market.
It's only a matter of time until someone blinks and a lot of people will be left holding hot potatoes like Lehman Brothers.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 10:44 AM   #15435
TitanSound
Mr Beardy Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop that View Post
Sounds like sour grapes. I'm just happy that at least one eu city is able to sustain a construction boom and conpete in the world.
Hopefully before the century is out, your own city will be able to build something relivent to a skyscraper forum, something worth reporting about on a projects and construction thread for instance
Sour grapes??

Stravinsky doesn't even live in London, why would he have sour grapes? His opinion is incredibly valid.

If anyone potentially has sour grapes it's me. I was born in London, have lived here all my life. And I've steadily seen rents go from half reasonable to completely ridiculous. Never mind the crazy house prices that have completely priced people like myself out of the market.

And I'm also caught in a trap with no room to maneuver. I earn a decent living but am throwing my money at a landlord. If I were to save for a 40k deposit on top of renting it would take me five years. But when I reach five years it wouldn't be surprising if the 40k deposit I needed is now a 60k deposit.

So unless I get a windfall, win the lottery or rob a bank, I'm stuck with the status quo.
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #15436
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

^ Have you thought of buying together with a girlfriend/partner, shared ownership, or making use of Help to Buy?
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #15437
Stravinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySlob View Post

With 'normal homes' I mean regular homes for the middle and lower classes, the kind of places we live in. Luxury skyscrapers are great as investments... but do they actually solve London's housing problems? Not so much.

And I don't even mean detached houses, as London could easily aim for higher densities in many locations... I'd say buildings with 4 to 10 floors could do.

There are many examples of cities with fewer issues than London that are actually building more: just have a look at the Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, or Hamburg threads. Or even just try exploring those cities with Google Maps (no Street View in Germany). Do it please, all of those are quite rich cities, where new developments are primarily catering for the 'normal' resident population, and not millionaires, or foreign investors.

That said, there are large residential projects in London that I do like (Kidbrooke is my favourite, but I do like Earls Court as well). Yet I get the feeling that many people are not actually realizing that the construction boom London is experiencing is still not addressing the issue properly, in my opinion.

I don't know, maybe the government should temporarily asssume a leading role in this process, as it's quite obvious that private developers are not doing enough, or are not going in the right direction.

Last edited by Stravinsky; September 16th, 2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 16th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #15438
Stravinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSound View Post
Sour grapes??

Stravinsky doesn't even live in London, why would he have sour grapes? His opinion is incredibly valid.
I'm currently living in the East of England and much of what I said can be applied to this area as well, as it has just overtaken London in terms of price growth...
Old September 16th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #15439
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
^ Have you thought of buying together with a girlfriend/partner, shared ownership, or making use of Help to Buy?
Have you looked at the figures lately?

First-time buyers need to earn £77,000 a year to live in London.
From KPMG report in the Guardian.

Average wage in London around £25,000.
From ONS in the City AM.

Even doubling up your nowhere near £77,000 and that's assuming you've paid off your student loan and saved a deposit.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #15440
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Have you looked at the figures lately?

First-time buyers need to earn £77,000 a year to live in London.
From KPMG report in the Guardian. Even doubling up your nowhere near £77,000 and that's assuming you've paid off your student loan and saved a deposit.
You need £77,000 if you're buying by yourself and not taking advantage of schemes like shared ownership.
Quote:
Average wage in London around £25,000. From ONS in the City AM.
You're not reading that article properly. The ONS stats show £30,546 average for London. The Adzuna stats show an average of £41,000.

Frankly I think people whine too much. I have friends who've paid off their loans, saved, and bought properties despite modest earnings. They just showed a bit of discipline, saved for a few years, pooled resources with partners, etc. They also didn't expect their first property to be a swanky flat in a premium area. (Though one managed this through shared ownership.)

Owning property has never been a prospect for singles on low earnings, with the possible exception of Right to Buy for council flats. London's booming economy, global appeal, and surging population, also mean that it's not an easy place to afford. The only comparable world cities have comparable prices.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Quicksilver liked this post

Last edited by Langur; September 16th, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom