daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2015, 05:27 AM   #16501
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

Tottenhams new stadium has been approved by Haringey council.

erbse, SE9 liked this post
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #16502
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57966

ThatOneGuy: If you were being ironic, I'd have a good laugh.

You're not elevating the "aesthetics" of the Balfron to the same level, are you?
We could ask random people on the street which they'd rather like to see preserved and see what's the result...

Not everything is valuable heritage just because it's older than a decade. Though I agree the Balfron is rather unique, but not in a pleasant way. I wouldn't mind much if an investor decides to renovate, but honestly I'd much rather root for its demolition - because I think it's plain ugly, unlike the classical buildings. London has much better buildings from the post-war period including the 60s. Though definitely that was one of the darkest eras in architecture we ever witnessed.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #16503
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1667

With regards to the Bayswater development.. looking at the proposal.. the only real losses there are buildings no: 125 and 122. (the red brick ones).

The rest are pretty crappy run down, run of the mill, old shop converted town houses of which London has millions.

Last edited by LDN N7; December 17th, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #16504
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1667

Developers notes - as posted in the UK forum by SE9.

Heritage Assessment

119-121 Bayswater Road:

122 Bayswater Road:

125 Bayswater Road & 2 Queensway:

erbse liked this post
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #16505
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 301

I wouldn't care if either were destroyed. I can see the appeal of the red brick buildings but they aren't exactly in best state. They look like they have 2 separate brick works like it's been restored badly. They also look really out of place. with the other buildings. The tower block on the other hand is just plain ugly.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #16506
erbse
LIBERTINED

Just because an older building needs some maintenance there's no justification to tear it down like it wouldn't make a difference. That phlegmatic insensibility some Londoners pose... In a city that already suffered heavy architectural losses by catastrophes, war and short-sighted urban development!

Grimbarian, Langur liked this post
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #16507
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

I think its fine to demolish old buildings of moderate quality like this (after all London is pretty big and there are hundreds of thousands of similar buildings (maybe a slight exaggeration)) but only if the replacement is of superior quality. I'm not so sure in this case!
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #16508
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Just because an older building needs some maintenance there's no justification to tear it down like it wouldn't make a difference. That phlegmatic insensibility some Londoners pose... In a city that already suffered heavy architectural losses by catastrophes, war and short-sighted urban development!
Pot Kettle Black.

You dismiss architecture like the brutalist tower and then cry wolf over the victorian buildings, you must realise how this discredits your posts.

London is about more than Victorian architecture, it's a huge and vastly important part of it's character but this faux outrage is unjust when you're happy to see other important buildings destroyed because you don't like them.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #16509
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10972

Quote:
The Balfron Tower and the contrested buildings in Bayswater serve different purposes and it would disingenuous to think otherwise.

The Balfron was built to house those on low incomes by erno goldfinger as an utopian vision of highrise living. I've had the opportunity to go inside an unit there as orginally designed and it's incredibly well designed.

However the contrested buildings on Bayswater was built by private developers as an investment , to which the architecture is fairly run of the mill typical cookie cutter stuff.

alexandru.mircea liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #16510
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
ThatOneGuy: If you were being ironic, I'd have a good laugh.

You're not elevating the "aesthetics" of the Balfron to the same level, are you?
We could ask random people on the street which they'd rather like to see preserved and see what's the result...
It's not about the aesthetics, but about heritage. Arguably, Balfron is much more important than those Victorian houses even though I support saving both of them equally. It's a lost cause to ask the average person about preserving social housing blocks because all they can think about is the crime and dereliction that resulted from failed economic and maintenance policies. The entire style has been demonized because of those issues for at least 30-40 years. Luckily it's just coming back in fashion now.

Clutter has ruined the aesthetics of Balfron for most of its life, though this renovation should clear all that away.

The developers of the 1960s saw the rotting Victorian and Georgian buildings as undesireable, run-down places. You don't want to sound like them by advocating for the destruction of brutalist buildings, just because most of them are run down now.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #16511
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60723

Proposal for a new Centre for Music in London moves forward
The Strad
17 December 2015
Quote:
The Centre, originally suggested by incoming London Symphony Orchestra music director Sir Simon Rattle, would have 'a transformative effect on public engagement with music'

The UK government is a step closer to greenlighting a new state-of-the-art Centre for Music in London. Arts Council England is to make £5.5m of public funding available to develop a detailed business plan, to work on the initial design for the building, to explore further funding options, and to consult arts and education sectors.

The development comes after a six-month feasibility study, commissioned in February this year, and produced by the Barbican Centre, the London Symphony Orchestra and the Guildhall School of Music & Drama. The proposal includes ‘a world-class concert hall for the digital age’ with education and accessibility at its heart, ‘aiming to have the same transformative effect on public engagement with music that Tate Modern brought about for contemporary art’.

[continued in link]
Old December 18th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #16512
Infinite Jest

Likes (Received): 698

Those sorts of slightly whimsical Victorian buildings with fine stone detailing, oriel windows, little balconies, etc., are the absolute core of the spirit of London's architectural landscape. They're what add flair and colour and history to every high street. It's amazing that they are not listed. Thousands of much plainer Victorian terraced houses are protected, and yet these ones aren't deemed worthy because...?
Old December 18th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #16513
erbse
LIBERTINED

ThatOneGuy, Mr Cladding:
I'm well aware of the Balfron's meaning in context.
Still, I'd be much less worried about its demolition than about the Victorian houses.
To me it'd be enough to memorize a (quite objectively ugly) building like Balfron Tower by photos and/or models. A bit like the English Pruitt-Igoe. You may like this or not. It's my position, period.

I don't think historical context is much more important than aesthetics. I can't stand the "original substance fetish" of e.g. heritage protectors. It's ridiculous. Architecture is about aesthetics first and foremost. No, form doesn't 'follow function', ffs.

As I said, I also don't mind if the Balfron Tower stays. As a dispiriting example of the ill-minded meanders of post-WW2 "architecture". But the Victorian houses shown are essential to what makes the spirit of London. They could be adjoined by new interpretations of that style, but they definitely shouldn't vanish!

Old December 18th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #16514
ThatOneGuy

It's objectively derelict, more like it.
Old December 18th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #16515
erbse
LIBERTINED

Its design is just as imbecile and meaningless when seen brand new on photos - or the projected revitalisation from the render.

Anyway, we'll probably agree to disagree. I just hate the building.
To compare it to something similar, Genex Tower of Belgrade is much more interesting and iconic imho.
I can see an idea there, while I fail to see one in the Balfron. When you need an extensive explanation for a building's design, it obviously fails.

And London still has another very similar tower, the Trellick. Can't say I really like that one better, though...

Old December 18th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #16516
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's objectively derelict, more like it.
Out of interest, would you happily live in that tower?
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #16517
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieUK View Post
Out of interest, would you happily live in that tower?
If it was renovated, yeah.

I'm from Romania, I've grown up with, and in, buildings just as bad as the derelict Balfron, but with nowhere near as much architectural detail.
Old December 18th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #16518
SE9
South East Nine

London Infrastructure
Mayor's Office | 17 December 2015

Old December 18th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #16519
SE9
South East Nine

Northumberland Development Project | Tottenham N17

Stadium forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=549397

Official website: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-scheme/

Project facts
  • New London home for THFC and the NFL
  • London borough: Haringey
  • Developer: Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
  • Architect: Populous
  • Stadium capacity: 61,461
  • Homes: 579

As mentioned by GB1, plans for Tottenham's new football stadium have been approved by Haringey Council:

- City A.M: Tottenham get planning permission for new £400m stadium

- Sky Sports: Haringey Council passes Tottenham's revised stadium plans

- BBC Sport: Tottenham's revised stadium plans approved by Haringey Council

JimB, RobH, cameronrex, AbidM, Union Man and 2 others liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #16520
SE9
South East Nine

Lewisham Gateway | Lewisham SE13

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=888804

Official website: http://www.newlewisham.com/

Project facts
  • Address: Lewisham Gateway, Station Road, London SE13
  • London borough: Lewisham
  • Developer: Muse Developments
  • Architect: PRP Architects
  • Cost: £250 million ($375m)
  • Homes: 800

Construction progress at the first phase of Lewisham Gateway, photos by geogregor:

PC090624 by Geogregor*, on Flickr

PC090627 by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Last edited by SE9; December 18th, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom