daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 03:58 PM   #16581
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

I hope I can visit London before it turns into "your city with random glass skyscrapers number 40".

Brucey7, benpicko liked this post
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:05 PM   #16582
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10975

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
I hope I can visit London before it turns into "your city with random glass skyscrapers number 40".
You have got until 2018 , that's when many of the highrises scheduled for london are due to make a dent on the skyline.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:12 PM   #16583
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10975

The Monument Building | City of London EC3

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=474129

Official website: http://themonumentbuilding.com/

Project facts
  • Address: 11-19 Monument Street, London EC3
  • Developer: Skanska
  • Architect: Make Architects
  • Floors: 9
  • Office space: 7,896m²

The nearly completed The Monument Building , photo by Darjole

Monument Place, London, December 2015.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:45 PM   #16584
rjee

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
pessimism is something we can do without
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 05:57 PM   #16585
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjee View Post
pessimism is something we can do without
or maybe we should all be open to changing our minds. New, shiny, glassy, tall might be what drew us to this forum, but hopefully as we learn more about what's going on we will allow our perspectives and opinions to change.

Glassy boxes are very cheap and easy to make, they have very poor energy performance. Tall buildings appeal primarily to young men, but our cities are for the whole of our society. We need to consider their views too.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 06:00 PM   #16586
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60758

Quote:
London is a city characterised by its dynamism, and that hasn't stopped people coming.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 06:50 PM   #16587
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

Why dinamism means building things that could be built anywhere else? All cities are gonna look the same in the future and it's a shame.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:10 PM   #16588
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

I don't know of any place in the world that looks like the city of london. Certainly no other eu city has the quality and design of city of london skyscrapers. Canary wharf has the more corporate globalism look, (not that that's a bad thing).

Quicksilver liked this post
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:25 PM   #16589
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Wanting every city to only build architecture unique to that city only is one of the most unrealistic ideas I've seen getting thrown around. I don't know why it's such a popular idea, because it will never happen.

Maybe in New York with only art deco towers(fat chance anyway) but anywhere else is wishful thinking.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:32 PM   #16590
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Why dinamism means building things that could be built anywhere else? All cities are gonna look the same in the future and it's a shame.
London style, at least on 50% on buildings going up is rather unique and not seen anywhere else. Nobody will replicate London (not only London but NY, Tokyo, Paris, LA, Barcelona etc) not now not in the future.
Quicksilver está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:59 PM   #16591
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Likes (Received): 869

To me, all large British cities are starting to look similar. London looks perfect now, but if they keep building more skyscrapers it will just look like an average skyscraper city

Stravinsky liked this post
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:08 PM   #16592
GB1

Likes (Received): 146

Major British cities looked similar before skyscrapers were built ie edwardian and victorian with some medieval architecture. Some forumers have a tendency to blow things way out of proportion
Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:34 PM   #16593
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Yeah you're right.. Architecture is the same though in most British cities, in fact I find cities like Liverpool or Manchester to have some more grand buildings than London
Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:54 AM   #16594
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

i find people who say 'london is destroying itself' , 'london is turning into Dubai' don't really understand the situation. The beautiful, grand, historic buildings are not being torn down to make way for these modern developments, rather they are being built on old industrial land, brownfield sites, or on plots with existing low quality buildings. London in the future will not look like any other city in the world because no other city will have skyscrapers and modern architecture juxtaposed with architecture like the tower or london, houses of parliament, bank of england, st pancras international etc etc.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:38 AM   #16595
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yes it seems like 80% of the time the building being replaced is a 1960s lowrise.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:45 AM   #16596
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10737

In reality, walking around the city means you will mostly see nothing of the skyscrapers, because, down at street level you rarely get the necessary angles. It's been the same for me when I visited London - I'd catch a rare glimpse towards towers when crossing the Thames on a bridge, or when on certain sections of the quais. There was also a view towards the City down on High Holborn I think, but that was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen so far. Top floor / roof level photography, especially when unspecified as such, gives you a wrong impression on a city's feel and appearance.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

sk327 liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:22 AM   #16597
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

In a dense city core surrounded by 20fl+ towers you have to get close to see the taller towers. London is full of towers that are barely visible on the skyline but would stand out in most other European cities. For example a building that looks like a tower in frankfurt or la defense is often barely visible in the city of london. The Willis tower 135m and it's totally invisible on the skyline. None of the towers under 150m are visible but they would be among the tallest in frankfurt/la defense and very visible.
Canary wharf is much easier to get good photos of, but that is allready changing now with the towers going up around and in Greenwich and blackwall, but at least you can see more than just the top half of the towers, like in most views of the city of london.

Last edited by stop that; December 23rd, 2015 at 03:34 AM.
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:06 AM   #16598
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

Canary Wharf is great, they can build all they want there but building too much in the city is meh

TowerVerre:), AbidM, Stravinsky, erbse liked this post
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:24 PM   #16599
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

No need to worry about london looking like other cities that will never happen. Sure some parts likje canary wharf maybe but if you get tired of the bits with skyscrapers you can always take a stroll around westminster or greenwich. London is massive and diverse and there is no chance of that changing no matter how many towers they build in certain places!
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:07 PM   #16600
Fro7en
I Love Rien!

London is big, but the true city area, is smaller than Manhattan.. Manhattan is crowded, overcrowded with skyscrapers

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom