daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:14 PM   #16601
Stravinsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,188
Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
London is a city characterised by its dynamism, and that hasn't stopped people coming.
Shenzhen is a dynamic city as well, and plenty of people work there.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:37 PM   #16602
london lad
Registered User
 
london lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: London
Posts: 10,370
Likes (Received): 2321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Shenzhen is a dynamic city as well, and plenty of people work there.
Your point being?
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:48 PM   #16603
Stravinsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,188
Likes (Received): 1147

Dynamic place does not equal beautiful place. Ugly is ugly and stays ugly, no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig.
__________________

erbse liked this post
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:50 PM   #16604
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,103
Likes (Received): 11233

Hopefully Stravinsky isn't trying to make links between London and the recent industrial incident in Shenzen , that would greatly distasteful.

Shenzhen Landslide Casts Shadow Over China’s Success Story
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:02 PM   #16605
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,570

Shenzhen isn't ugly, well maybe some old run-down areas are, but no doubt those will eventually be replaced.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:20 PM   #16606
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,096
Likes (Received): 4137

I bet if London was as dormant as it is breaking new ground people would still moan.

There is a reason why London is the most sought after city in the world and it's got nothing to do with skyscrapers. That's actually the reason why London is now building so many skyscrapers yet it still only allows them in certain areas to protect heritage and historical areas. Something other cities don't do as well.

London has to build taller now, we know that. What's the problem? Become irrelevant like some other western European capitals?
__________________
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:33 PM   #16607
Fro7en
I Love Rien!
 
Fro7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Paris
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 869

London is the most sought after city? That's pretty objective. Irrelevant capitals like which? Berlin isn't that relevant economically compared to other German cities.
__________________
ĪledeFrance
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 11:34 PM   #16608
GB1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 393
Likes (Received): 146

Yes frozen, in terms of finance, trade and Investment. Only New York can compete with London, I'm not trying to say therefore London is better than everywhere else but in the terms I mentioned it truly is.
__________________

LDN N7, Highrisetower319 liked this post
GB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #16609
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh
 
Quicksilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dubai/Chelmsford
Posts: 9,479
Likes (Received): 4834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro7en View Post
London is the most sought after city? That's pretty objective. Irrelevant capitals like which? Berlin isn't that relevant economically compared to other German cities.
Most studies indicate so, and most of these studies are not done by British companies to be objective in that respect.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #16610
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh
 
Quicksilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dubai/Chelmsford
Posts: 9,479
Likes (Received): 4834

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
Yes frozen, in terms of finance, trade and Investment. Only New York can compete with London, I'm not trying to say therefore London is better than everywhere else but in the terms I mentioned it truly is.
I also add in terms of tourism, travel, culture, education, art and sport events, movie industry, you name it, and yes, buildings created by star architects.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #16611
rjee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 72
Likes (Received): 33

this thread can't just stick to posting updates, can it?
__________________

napowen liked this post
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #16612
Fro7en
I Love Rien!
 
Fro7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Paris
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 869

Dafuq?
__________________
ĪledeFrance
Fro7en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 04:44 AM   #16613
JamieUK
Registered User
 
JamieUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 499
Likes (Received): 312

There are large areas of London that have a'lot of historic character where skyscrapers are not been built and the character is very much intact and will remain so. Like the large area around Regent street and Trafalgar square. Also where the scrapers have gone up in my opinion they have enhanced the areas.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #16614
The seventh shape
Master of his domain
 
The seventh shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,363
Likes (Received): 827

[QUOTE=Birmingham;129537319] "I bet if London was as dormant as it is breaking new ground people would still moan.

There is a reason why London is the most sought after city in the world and it's got nothing to do with skyscrapers. That's actually the reason why London is now building so many skyscrapers yet it still only allows them in certain areas to protect heritage and historical areas. Something other cities don't do as well. "

Like what happened with the Fenchurch street skyscraper, yes.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #16615
hugh
Registered User
 
hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,747
Likes (Received): 1247

The thread seems to have been hijacked by children.
__________________
In art we trust.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #16616
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,103
Likes (Received): 11233

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjee View Post
this thread can't just stick to posting updates, can it?
If there were updates to post we would , they've shut down until at least 4th January
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #16617
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,103
Likes (Received): 11233

Balfron Tower Refurbishment | Poplar E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1853564

Official website: TBA


Project facts
  • Address: Balfron Tower , St Leonards Road , E14 , Poplar
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Developer: United House Developments
  • Architect: Londonewcastle
  • Height: 84m
  • Floors: 27



Some photos before it becomes encased in scaffolding by myself

Balfron Tower by Luke, on Flickr

Balfron Facade by Luke, on Flickr

Balfron Tower by Luke, on Flickr

From Poplar by Luke, on Flickr

In amongst the drab architecture by Luke, on Flickr

From Robin Hood Gardens by Luke, on Flickr
__________________
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #16618
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,103
Likes (Received): 11233

Manhattan Plaza | Poplar E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1226905&page=5

Official website: http://www.telfordhomes.london/micro...aza/index.cfm/


Project facts
  • Address: 10 Prestons Road, London E14 9RL
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Developer: Telford Homes
  • Architect: Barton Willmore architects
  • Height: 74/68/53m
  • Floors: 21/19/14fl



From Poplar Business Park by myself

Incoming Towers by Luke, on Flickr
__________________

Seoul_Korea, Kot Bazilio liked this post

Last edited by Mr Cladding; December 24th, 2015 at 05:53 PM.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #16619
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,103
Likes (Received): 11233

Providence Tower | Blackwall E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=395444

Official website: http://www.providencetower.com/


Project facts
  • Address: Providence Tower, Fairmont Avenue, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Developer: Ballymore Group
  • Architect: SOM
  • Height: 136m
  • Floors: 44



As viewed from Poplar


Blackwall Tunnel by Luke, on Flickr
__________________

Last edited by Mr Cladding; December 24th, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #16620
SE9
South East Nine
 
SE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 34,124
Likes (Received): 61448

Elephant Park | Elephant & Castle SE17

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1711497

Official website: http://www.elephantpark.co.uk/



Project facts
  • Address: Heygate Street, London SE17
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Developer: Lend Lease
  • Masterplan architect: Make Architects
  • Cost: £1.5 billion ($2.3bn)
  • Homes: 5,300



Construction progress yesterday at Elephant Park, photos by SE9:


Elephant Park, London by SE9, on Flickr


Elephant Park, London by SE9, on Flickr
__________________
-

teles448, Seoul_Korea, opayek, erbse, solomun and 3 others liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium