daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #18161
RoosterCg
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksam21 View Post
To me putting big modern buildings takes away the simple charm and ancient quality of London.
Sentimental nonsense.

Take a good look at the London Skyline and vast swathes of it are dominated by 50's, 60's & 70's garbage that reflects perfectly its post war decline in those decades.

It's going to take another 50yrs to undo the damage done to London's architectural fabric inflicted upon it by post war planners with their maniac ideas and attempts at social engineering.
RoosterCg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #18162
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I prefer to spend time in a city with all styles from all eras rather than a museum town.

Bligh, VDB liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #18163
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12091

London City Island | Leamouth Peninsula E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=390192

Official website: http://www.londoncityisland.com/

Project facts
  • Developer: Ballymore Group
  • Architect: Glenn Howells Architects, John Pardey Architects and Jestico+Whiles
  • Cost: £2 billion ($3.2bn)
  • Homes: 3,000

The London City Island development as seen from the cable car yesterday.

London City Island u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Leamouth and the Stratford skyline by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

DLR through Leamouth / Canning Town by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Soak up the simple charm and ancient quality of that foreground.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon

djm160190, opayek, Highrisetower319, hugh, VDB and 3 others liked this post
stevekeiretsu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #18164
stevekeiretsu

Lower Riverside | Greenwich Peninsula SE10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=632984

Official website: http://www.greenwichpeninsula.co.uk/...wer-riverside/

Project facts
  • Address: Plots M0101 to M0104 and M0114 to M0121, Greenwich Peninsula, London SE10
  • London borough: Greenwich
  • Developer: Knight Dragon
  • Architect: Various

Lower Riverside photographed from and with the dangleway:

Greenwich Lower Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Greenwich Lower Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Cable car / DLR / Greenwich construction by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Old May 25th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #18165
benpicko

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCg View Post
Sentimental nonsense.

Take a good look at the London Skyline and vast swathes of it are dominated by 50's, 60's & 70's garbage that reflects perfectly its post war decline in those decades.

It's going to take another 50yrs to undo the damage done to London's architectural fabric inflicted upon it by post war planners with their maniac ideas and attempts at social engineering.
Yeah and now vast swathes of that are being replaced by 00's and 10's garbage that will be replaced again in another 50 years when everybody hates them.

And I don't want to live in a museum city, either, I just want to live in a place filled with buildings that feel as though they were crafted by people with a love for their art rather than cynics who want to deny us any pleasure whatsoever. I feel much happier in a city filled with older buildings for precisely that reason, and not at all because they're old; I'd have nowhere near as much opposition to old buildings being demolished if their replacements were an improvement upon them and to the area as a whole, because that's simply what should happen. It doesn't though. They either get listed and stay for as long as they possibly can, or they get demolished and invariably (at the moment) get replaced by a building that adds nothing at all to the area.

There's no reason we can't create a new style that's similarly detailed and positive—the technology and artists are there to create a modern style in that vein—but we won't because the teaching isn't there, and because of that neither is the attitude in the people who matter.

As for which buildings I feel are bland, I'd say most of them other than the flagship ones. The Scalpel looks nice, and so do most of the well-known skyscrapers in London as well. That seems to be the issue with modern architecture for me: the only aspect of it which feel in any way as though an artist has had any hand in its design is the structure of the building, and so we see some amazing flagship projects (I've seen plenty of airports and train stations that I love for example) but for everything else we're just given the same standard box shape.

TM_Germany, AUTOTHRILL, Pavlovich liked this post

Last edited by benpicko; May 25th, 2016 at 02:05 AM.
benpicko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #18166
stevekeiretsu

Upper Riverside | Greenwich Peninsula SE10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=632984

Official website: http://www.greenwichpeninsula.co.uk/...per-riverside/

Project facts
  • Address: Plot N0205, Greenwich Peninsula, London SE10
  • London borough: Greenwich
  • Developer: Knight Dragon
  • Architect: Skidmore, Owings and Merrill
  • Homes: 1,007
  • Retail space: 2,100m²

And the particularly colourful construction at Upper Riverside, also from the dangleway:

Greenwich Upper Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Greenwich Upper Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Old May 25th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #18167
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7483

Massive scale.
Old May 25th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #18168
Bligh

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpicko View Post
Yeah and now vast swathes of that are being replaced by 00's and 10's garbage that will be replaced again in another 50 years when everybody hates them.

And I don't want to live in a museum city, either, I just want to live in a place filled with buildings that feel as though they were crafted by people with a love for their art rather than cynics who want to deny us any pleasure whatsoever. I feel much happier in a city filled with older buildings for precisely that reason, and not at all because they're old; I'd have nowhere near as much opposition to old buildings being demolished if their replacements were an improvement upon them and to the area as a whole, because that's simply what should happen. It doesn't though. They either get listed and stay for as long as they possibly can, or they get demolished and invariably (at the moment) get replaced by a building that adds nothing at all to the area.

There's no reason we can't create a new style that's similarly detailed and positive—the technology and artists are there to create a modern style in that vein—but we won't because the teaching isn't there, and because of that neither is the attitude in the people who matter.

As for which buildings I feel are bland, I'd say most of them other than the flagship ones. The Scalpel looks nice, and so do most of the well-known skyscrapers in London as well. That seems to be the issue with modern architecture for me: the only aspect of it which feel in any way as though an artist has had any hand in its design is the structure of the building, and so we see some amazing flagship projects (I've seen plenty of airports and train stations that I love for example) but for everything else we're just given the same standard box shape.
You're argument is strong and you have some reasonable points but I'd still say that this is your perspective and opinion. It's all subjective.

For the most part I think London is leading the world in some of it's urban developments - think the transformation of The Docklands, Kidbrook Village, Battersea and Nine Elms, Stratford, our new landmarks in the City. I see tourists lining up to take selfies with The Gherkin in the background all the time. I know you mentioned the flagship projects being great but I just thought I'd mention this.

As for the other Standard Boxes; what examples do you specifically have? I know that there's a lot of bland housing developments in all borough's but not every project can have an iconic or revolutionary design. Why? Because at the end of the day it's all business.

The system isn't perfect and in many ways it's certainly flawed. But I don't see how British Cities are competing for blandness at all.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

stop that liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #18169
PortoNuts

Quote:
Vogue Café Prepares Pop-Up Champagne Lounge for London

The first Vogue Café in Western Europe will open next month as a pop-up at Westfield in west London as the British Vogue fashion magazine celebrates its centenary.

The outpost will serve four types of Champagne by the glass, including Bollinger Rosé, along with Prosecco, cocktails and hot chocolate. Krug Grand Cuvee Brut NV will cost 195 pounds ($282) a bottle. For anyone who actually wants to eat, there will be sandwiches, cupcakes, muffins and sandwiches—plus afternoon tea.

Condé Nast International is extending its media brands—including GQ and Tatler—to restaurants under licensing arrangements. The first was Vogue Café Moscow, and there are sites in Eastern Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Vogue Lounge in Kuala Lumpur will open later this year, following on from a similar lounge in Bangkok.

Vogue Café, which will be open at The Village Westfield in Shepherds Bush, west London, from June 16 to Sept. 18.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...nge-for-london

JustWatch liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #18170
rjee

Likes (Received): 33

could someone post any pictures of classical building restorations in London?
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #18171
PortoNuts

Quote:
London Population Growth to Far Outpace Rest of U.K

London is projected to add 1.2 million inhabitants in the 10 years to mid-2024, with international migration accounting for much of the increase, according to projections published on Wednesday.

The 14 percent surge is almost double the pace projected for England as a whole and would take the population of the British capital to just under 10 million.

The figures are likely ignite the debate over the upcoming Brexit referendum, with campaigners for leaving the European Union arguing that uncontrolled immigration is putting excessive pressure on housing, schools and hospitals.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...t-of-u-k-chart
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #18172
AbidM

Likes (Received): 1424

Sadiq Khan condemns foreign investors' use of London homes as 'gold bricks'
Mayor condemns capital’s housing policy for being ‘obsessed by numbers rather than building the right sorts of homes’

(http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...housing-policy)

Also

London population expected to surge as north loses workers
Barrow-in-Furness predicted to lose 4.3% of its population by 2024, while Tower Hamlets is expected to grow by 25%

1. I agree with the first statement, why not provide affordable housing for a change (£250,000 and below?, bare in mind that's quarter of million which is is still an exceptional amount.), the working class (people in public service jobs too), middle class and creative class, students cannot afford such exuberant prices, and these people are certainly vital to keep london what it is, can't just have London be a Disneyland for the rich.

2. I'm pleased to here however more people are moving in though there might be repercussion such as more congestion and again higher prices, but hopefully among the demographic that are moving are youngsters.

(http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...s-lose-workers)

I honestly believe sadique khan can make a change for the good, so more power to him.

I
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York

TowerVerre:), Grimbarian, Jamsterx liked this post
AbidM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #18173
ushahid

Likes (Received): 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
London City Island | Leamouth Peninsula E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=390192

Official website: http://www.londoncityisland.com/

Project facts
  • Developer: Ballymore Group
  • Architect: Glenn Howells Architects, John Pardey Architects and Jestico+Whiles
  • Cost: £2 billion ($3.2bn)
  • Homes: 3,000

The London City Island development as seen from the cable car yesterday.

London City Island u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

$3.2 billion for this piece of crap. u can build one world trade centre or 2 shards out of that much money. that doesn't look worth $3.2 bln.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
ushahid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #18174
RoosterCg
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushahid View Post
$3.2 billion for this piece of crap. u can build one world trade centre or 2 shards out of that much money. that doesn't look worth $3.2 bln.
$3.2bn does not refer to the construction cost but to the estimated value of all the apartments when completed and on sale in the London market...but your point about it looking like crap is valid

ushahid, the spliff fairy liked this post
RoosterCg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #18175
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4138

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidM View Post
Sadiq Khan condemns foreign investors' use of London homes as 'gold bricks'
Mayor condemns capital’s housing policy for being ‘obsessed by numbers rather than building the right sorts of homes’

(http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...housing-policy)

Also

London population expected to surge as north loses workers
Barrow-in-Furness predicted to lose 4.3% of its population by 2024, while Tower Hamlets is expected to grow by 25%

1. I agree with the first statement, why not provide affordable housing for a change (£250,000 and below?, bare in mind that's quarter of million which is is still an exceptional amount.), the working class (people in public service jobs too), middle class and creative class, students cannot afford such exuberant prices, and these people are certainly vital to keep london what it is, can't just have London be a Disneyland for the rich.

2. I'm pleased to here however more people are moving in though there might be repercussion such as more congestion and again higher prices, but hopefully among the demographic that are moving are youngsters.

(http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...s-lose-workers)

I honestly believe sadique khan can make a change for the good, so more power to him.

I
Posted by VDB on UK Forum
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #18176
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Posted by VDB on UK Forum
Oh comic sans we meet again

gazzab1990 liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #18177
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61453

Elephant & Castle Town Centre | Elephant & Castle SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1830404

Official website: http://www.elephantandcastletowncentre.co.uk/

Project facts
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Developer: Delancey | APG
  • Architect: Allies and Morrison
  • Homes: 1,000
  • 1,000-seat cinema
  • 500-capacity music venue
  • New UAL campus

Plans have been unveiled for the redevelopment of Elephant & Castle town centre:

- The Construction Index: Further consultation for Elephant & Castle plans

- Construction Enquirer: Plans unveiled for London Elephant & Castle town centre

- Evening Standard: First look at ambitious plans for transformed Elephant and Castle town centre

Londonese, Mr Cladding, erbse, AbidM, konny and 25 others liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #18178
SE9
South East Nine

Tate Modern Project | Bankside SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=377117

Official website: http://www.tate.org.uk/about/project...modern-project

Project facts
  • Extension to the world's most visited gallery of modern art
  • Architect: Herzog & de Meuron
  • Cost: £215 million ($305m)
  • Height: 65m
  • Floors: 11

This week at the Tate Modern extension, which opens in three weeks. Photos by opayek:

Tate Modern Switch House | London by Alex Upton, on Flickr

Old May 26th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #18179
SE9
South East Nine

One Blackfriars | Southwark SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=400279

Official website: http://www.oneblackfriars.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: 1 Blackfriars Road, London SE1
  • Developer: St George
  • Architect: Ian Simpson Architects
  • Height: 163m
  • Floors: 52

This week at One Blackfriars, photos by opayek:

P1120322 by Alex, on Flickr

P1120312 by Alex, on Flickr

erbse, AbidM, cameronrex, Union Man, JimB and 10 others liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #18180
Londonese
Londonese

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Holy mo! Another cluster for London. It really is turning into Tokyo in terms of scope.

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom