daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #18161
RoosterCg
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 231
Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksam21 View Post
To me putting big modern buildings takes away the simple charm and ancient quality of London.
Sentimental nonsense.

Take a good look at the London Skyline and vast swathes of it are dominated by 50's, 60's & 70's garbage that reflects perfectly its post war decline in those decades.

It's going to take another 50yrs to undo the damage done to London's architectural fabric inflicted upon it by post war planners with their maniac ideas and attempts at social engineering.
RoosterCg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #18162
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,570

I prefer to spend time in a city with all styles from all eras rather than a museum town.
__________________
Check out my band, Till I Conquer!

Bligh, VDB liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #18163
stevekeiretsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bristol
Posts: 4,627
Likes (Received): 12091

London City Island | Leamouth Peninsula E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=390192

Official website: http://www.londoncityisland.com/



Project facts
  • Developer: Ballymore Group
  • Architect: Glenn Howells Architects, John Pardey Architects and Jestico+Whiles
  • Cost: £2 billion ($3.2bn)
  • Homes: 3,000



The London City Island development as seen from the cable car yesterday.


London City Island u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr


Leamouth and the Stratford skyline by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr


DLR through Leamouth / Canning Town by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Soak up the simple charm and ancient quality of that foreground.
__________________

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon

djm160190, opayek, Highrisetower319, hugh, VDB and 3 others liked this post
stevekeiretsu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #18164
stevekeiretsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bristol
Posts: 4,627
Likes (Received): 12091

Lower Riverside | Greenwich Peninsula SE10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=632984

Official website: http://www.greenwichpeninsula.co.uk/...wer-riverside/



Project facts
  • Address: Plots M0101 to M0104 and M0114 to M0121, Greenwich Peninsula, London SE10
  • London borough: Greenwich
  • Developer: Knight Dragon
  • Architect: Various



Lower Riverside photographed from and with the dangleway:


Greenwich Lower Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr


Greenwich Lower Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr


Cable car / DLR / Greenwich construction by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr
__________________

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon
stevekeiretsu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #18165
benpicko
Registered User
 
benpicko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 74
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCg View Post
Sentimental nonsense.

Take a good look at the London Skyline and vast swathes of it are dominated by 50's, 60's & 70's garbage that reflects perfectly its post war decline in those decades.

It's going to take another 50yrs to undo the damage done to London's architectural fabric inflicted upon it by post war planners with their maniac ideas and attempts at social engineering.
Yeah and now vast swathes of that are being replaced by 00's and 10's garbage that will be replaced again in another 50 years when everybody hates them.

And I don't want to live in a museum city, either, I just want to live in a place filled with buildings that feel as though they were crafted by people with a love for their art rather than cynics who want to deny us any pleasure whatsoever. I feel much happier in a city filled with older buildings for precisely that reason, and not at all because they're old; I'd have nowhere near as much opposition to old buildings being demolished if their replacements were an improvement upon them and to the area as a whole, because that's simply what should happen. It doesn't though. They either get listed and stay for as long as they possibly can, or they get demolished and invariably (at the moment) get replaced by a building that adds nothing at all to the area.

There's no reason we can't create a new style that's similarly detailed and positive—the technology and artists are there to create a modern style in that vein—but we won't because the teaching isn't there, and because of that neither is the attitude in the people who matter.

As for which buildings I feel are bland, I'd say most of them other than the flagship ones. The Scalpel looks nice, and so do most of the well-known skyscrapers in London as well. That seems to be the issue with modern architecture for me: the only aspect of it which feel in any way as though an artist has had any hand in its design is the structure of the building, and so we see some amazing flagship projects (I've seen plenty of airports and train stations that I love for example) but for everything else we're just given the same standard box shape.
__________________

TM_Germany, AUTOTHRILL, Pavlovich liked this post

Last edited by benpicko; May 25th, 2016 at 02:05 AM.
benpicko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #18166
stevekeiretsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bristol
Posts: 4,627
Likes (Received): 12091

Upper Riverside | Greenwich Peninsula SE10

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=632984

Official website: http://www.greenwichpeninsula.co.uk/...per-riverside/



Project facts
  • Address: Plot N0205, Greenwich Peninsula, London SE10
  • London borough: Greenwich
  • Developer: Knight Dragon
  • Architect: Skidmore, Owings and Merrill
  • Homes: 1,007
  • Retail space: 2,100m²



And the particularly colourful construction at Upper Riverside, also from the dangleway:


Greenwich Upper Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr


Greenwich Upper Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr
__________________

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon
stevekeiretsu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #18167
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 24,080
Likes (Received): 7483

Massive scale.
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #18168
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,448
Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpicko View Post
Yeah and now vast swathes of that are being replaced by 00's and 10's garbage that will be replaced again in another 50 years when everybody hates them.

And I don't want to live in a museum city, either, I just want to live in a place filled with buildings that feel as though they were crafted by people with a love for their art rather than cynics who want to deny us any pleasure whatsoever. I feel much happier in a city filled with older buildings for precisely that reason, and not at all because they're old; I'd have nowhere near as much opposition to old buildings being demolished if their replacements were an improvement upon them and to the area as a whole, because that's simply what should happen. It doesn't though. They either get listed and stay for as long as they possibly can, or they get demolished and invariably (at the moment) get replaced by a building that adds nothing at all to the area.

There's no reason we can't create a new style that's similarly detailed and positive—the technology and artists are there to create a modern style in that vein—but we won't because the teaching isn't there, and because of that neither is the attitude in the people who matter.

As for which buildings I feel are bland, I'd say most of them other than the flagship ones. The Scalpel looks nice, and so do most of the well-known skyscrapers in London as well. That seems to be the issue with modern architecture for me: the only aspect of it which feel in any way as though an artist has had any hand in its design is the structure of the building, and so we see some amazing flagship projects (I've seen plenty of airports and train stations that I love for example) but for everything else we're just given the same standard box shape.
You're argument is strong and you have some reasonable points but I'd still say that this is your perspective and opinion. It's all subjective.

For the most part I think London is leading the world in some of it's urban developments - think the transformation of The Docklands, Kidbrook Village, Battersea and Nine Elms, Stratford, our new landmarks in the City. I see tourists lining up to take selfies with The Gherkin in the background all the time. I know you mentioned the flagship projects being great but I just thought I'd mention this.

As for the other Standard Boxes; what examples do you specifically have? I know that there's a lot of bland housing developments in all borough's but not every project can have an iconic or revolutionary design. Why? Because at the end of the day it's all business.

The system isn't perfect and in many ways it's certainly flawed. But I don't see how British Cities are competing for blandness at all.
__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

stop that liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #18169
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 24,080
Likes (Received): 7483

Quote:
Vogue Café Prepares Pop-Up Champagne Lounge for London

The first Vogue Café in Western Europe will open next month as a pop-up at Westfield in west London as the British Vogue fashion magazine celebrates its centenary.

The outpost will serve four types of Champagne by the glass, including Bollinger Rosé, along with Prosecco, cocktails and hot chocolate. Krug Grand Cuvee Brut NV will cost 195 pounds ($282) a bottle. For anyone who actually wants to eat, there will be sandwiches, cupcakes, muffins and sandwiches—plus afternoon tea.

Condé Nast International is extending its media brands—including GQ and Tatler—to restaurants under licensing arrangements. The first was Vogue Café Moscow, and there are sites in Eastern Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Vogue Lounge in Kuala Lumpur will open later this year, following on from a similar lounge in Bangkok.

Vogue Café, which will be open at The Village Westfield in Shepherds Bush, west London, from June 16 to Sept. 18.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...nge-for-london
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..

JustWatch liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #18170
rjee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 72
Likes (Received): 33

could someone post any pictures of classical building restorations in London?
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #18171
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 24,080
Likes (Received): 7483

Quote:
London Population Growth to Far Outpace Rest of U.K

London is projected to add 1.2 million inhabitants in the 10 years to mid-2024, with international migration accounting for much of the increase, according to projections published on Wednesday.

The 14 percent surge is almost double the pace projected for England as a whole and would take the population of the British capital to just under 10 million.

The figures are likely ignite the debate over the upcoming Brexit referendum, with campaigners for leaving the European Union arguing that uncontrolled immigration is putting excessive pressure on housing, schools and hospitals.


http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...t-of-u-k-chart
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #18172
AbidM
Registered User
 
AbidM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London/Sunamganj Sadar
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 1424

Sadiq Khan condemns foreign investors' use of London homes as 'gold bricks'
Mayor condemns capital’s housing policy for being ‘obsessed by numbers rather than building the right sorts of homes’

(http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...housing-policy)

Also

London population expected to surge as north loses workers
Barrow-in-Furness predicted to lose 4.3% of its population by 2024, while Tower Hamlets is expected to grow by 25%

1. I agree with the first statement, why not provide affordable housing for a change (£250,000 and below?, bare in mind that's quarter of million which is is still an exceptional amount.), the working class (people in public service jobs too), middle class and creative class, students cannot afford such exuberant prices, and these people are certainly vital to keep london what it is, can't just have London be a Disneyland for the rich.

2. I'm pleased to here however more people are moving in though there might be repercussion such as more congestion and again higher prices, but hopefully among the demographic that are moving are youngsters.

(http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...s-lose-workers)

I honestly believe sadique khan can make a change for the good, so more power to him.

I
__________________
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York

TowerVerre:), Grimbarian, Jamsterx liked this post
AbidM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #18173
ushahid
Registered User
 
ushahid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,039
Likes (Received): 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekeiretsu View Post
London City Island | Leamouth Peninsula E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=390192

Official website: http://www.londoncityisland.com/



Project facts
  • Developer: Ballymore Group
  • Architect: Glenn Howells Architects, John Pardey Architects and Jestico+Whiles
  • Cost: £2 billion ($3.2bn)
  • Homes: 3,000



The London City Island development as seen from the cable car yesterday.


London City Island u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

.
$3.2 billion for this piece of crap. u can build one world trade centre or 2 shards out of that much money. that doesn't look worth $3.2 bln.
__________________

TowerVerre:) liked this post
ushahid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #18174
RoosterCg
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 231
Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushahid View Post
$3.2 billion for this piece of crap. u can build one world trade centre or 2 shards out of that much money. that doesn't look worth $3.2 bln.
$3.2bn does not refer to the construction cost but to the estimated value of all the apartments when completed and on sale in the London market...but your point about it looking like crap is valid
__________________

ushahid, the spliff fairy liked this post
RoosterCg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #18175
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,096
Likes (Received): 4138

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidM View Post
Sadiq Khan condemns foreign investors' use of London homes as 'gold bricks'
Mayor condemns capital’s housing policy for being ‘obsessed by numbers rather than building the right sorts of homes’

(http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...housing-policy)

Also

London population expected to surge as north loses workers
Barrow-in-Furness predicted to lose 4.3% of its population by 2024, while Tower Hamlets is expected to grow by 25%

1. I agree with the first statement, why not provide affordable housing for a change (£250,000 and below?, bare in mind that's quarter of million which is is still an exceptional amount.), the working class (people in public service jobs too), middle class and creative class, students cannot afford such exuberant prices, and these people are certainly vital to keep london what it is, can't just have London be a Disneyland for the rich.

2. I'm pleased to here however more people are moving in though there might be repercussion such as more congestion and again higher prices, but hopefully among the demographic that are moving are youngsters.

(http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...s-lose-workers)

I honestly believe sadique khan can make a change for the good, so more power to him.

I
Posted by VDB on UK Forum
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #18176
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 7,109
Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Posted by VDB on UK Forum
Oh comic sans we meet again
__________________

gazzab1990 liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #18177
SE9
South East Nine
 
SE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 34,125
Likes (Received): 61453

Elephant & Castle Town Centre | Elephant & Castle SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1830404

Official website: http://www.elephantandcastletowncentre.co.uk/



Project facts
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Developer: Delancey | APG
  • Architect: Allies and Morrison
  • Homes: 1,000
  • 1,000-seat cinema
  • 500-capacity music venue
  • New UAL campus

Plans have been unveiled for the redevelopment of Elephant & Castle town centre:

- The Construction Index: Further consultation for Elephant & Castle plans

- Construction Enquirer: Plans unveiled for London Elephant & Castle town centre

- Evening Standard: First look at ambitious plans for transformed Elephant and Castle town centre








__________________
-

Londonese, Mr Cladding, erbse, AbidM, konny and 25 others liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #18178
SE9
South East Nine
 
SE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 34,125
Likes (Received): 61453

Tate Modern Project | Bankside SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=377117

Official website: http://www.tate.org.uk/about/project...modern-project



Project facts
  • Extension to the world's most visited gallery of modern art
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Architect: Herzog & de Meuron
  • Cost: £215 million ($305m)
  • Height: 65m
  • Floors: 11



This week at the Tate Modern extension, which opens in three weeks. Photos by opayek:


Tate Modern Switch House | London by Alex Upton, on Flickr


Tate Modern Switch House | London by Alex Upton, on Flickr


Tate Modern Switch House | London by Alex Upton, on Flickr


Tate Modern Switch House | London by Alex Upton, on Flickr
__________________
-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #18179
SE9
South East Nine
 
SE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 34,125
Likes (Received): 61453

One Blackfriars | Southwark SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=400279

Official website: http://www.oneblackfriars.co.uk/



Project facts
  • Address: 1 Blackfriars Road, London SE1
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Developer: St George
  • Architect: Ian Simpson Architects
  • Height: 163m
  • Floors: 52



This week at One Blackfriars, photos by opayek:


P1120322 by Alex, on Flickr


P1120312 by Alex, on Flickr
__________________
-

erbse, AbidM, cameronrex, Union Man, JimB and 10 others liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #18180
Londonese
Londonese
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London
Posts: 306
Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Holy mo! Another cluster for London. It really is turning into Tokyo in terms of scope.
__________________
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium