daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #1
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Abandoned skyscrapers?

Are there any abandoned, unoccupied and dilapidated skyscrapers in your city?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
KnowitallSkyScraper

Likes (Received): 0

Um, the former tower at the train station is abandedod. Shame too, it's a nice building.
KnowitallSkyScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #3
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

check out the 108 storey hotel in P'yongyang, North Korea. Spooky
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #4
-

When i visited Poland in 2004 i saw a skyscraper which looked like it was never finished. It was somewhere near Bielsko-Biala, close to the Czech border.

Interesting thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=218509

Quote:
Szkieletor

Szkieletor is the unofficial name of a 91 metre high highrise building in Kraków, Poland, originally intended to become headquarters of Naczelna Organizacja Techniczna. The construction of the building was started in 1975, but was stopped in 1981, because of economical reasons. Due to the unfinished building's resemblance to a skeleton, it was nicknamed after Skeletor, arch-villain in a 1980s cartoon, He-Man.

In recent years, several investors were interested with the building, but they became discouraged with complicated legal status of the parcel it stands on, as well as high cost of its demolition or adaptation.

It is located near the Rondo Mogilskie and Cracow University of Economics. At present it is the tallest building in the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szkieletor

Quote:
TV Tower Yekaterinburg

The TV Tower Yekaterinburg is a 220 metre high incomplete TV Tower of reinforced concrete at Yekaterinburg. Its construction was started at the end of the eighties and it should get a height of more than 400 metres. Unfortunately money went out at the beginning of the nineties and the tower remained in form as a 220 metre high column of concrete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Tower_Yekaterinburg

Also interesting:

Quote:
Fort Worth Skyline to change dramatically..

Tornado ravaged Bank One Tower to be imploded!

4/19/01: A New York Firm has been selected to raze the tornado damaged 37-story Bank One Tower. Sources indicate that the building will be imploded, instead of torn down in the more conventional way. If the implode procedure takes place, then this may be a record for imploding the tallest building in the world. No official date has been set to implode the building but after all safety requirements are implemented and met, they hope it will take place by mid-summer. The building is bounded by 4th,Taylor, 5th and Throckmorton streets in downtown Fort Worth. The previous owners could not afford to repair the building so they sold the property; new owners will demolish the building and will turn the block into a parking lot. The land has more value than having to repair the building therefore hoping to prompt a development in the future.

Built in 1974 it was the tallest building in the Fort Worth Skyline until 1982, today the fifth tallest in the City. The building was built to house the old Fort Worth National Bank; world-renowned architect John Portman of Atlanta designed the building. The 454-foot tall octagon-shape tower of glass rises from an askew base that features a 5-story atrium, the signature design feature of Mr. Portmans' buildings.

The photo at left shows a close up view of the destruction two days after the tornado of March 28, 2000.

04/07/02: No implosion, all combustible materials will be stripped from the structure, the interior gutted and part of the asbestos abated. This will take up to ten weeks to complete. The structure will stand cold and dark until a more favorable opportunity exists to either demolish the structure or redevelop it to an adaptive use.

07/19/02: Fort Worth -More than two years after a tornado roared through downtown, sounding what appeared to be the death knell for the Bank One Tower, the fate of the 27-year-old Fort Worth icon still hangs in the balance...Full Story

02/04/03: Fort Worth-Developers announce plans today for converting the former Bank One Tower to 270 high-rise residential units with 30,000 square feet of retail and 300 free public parking spaces. The residences could either be sold or rented, developers said. A new 4-story square base for the tower will be added outside the building for the retail area and the top of the base will contain a plaza for the residents and at least one swimming pool.

10/22/03:The 37-story tornado-damaged skyscraper, Bank One Tower in downtown Fort Worth, gets new name and new life. Damaged skyscraper now called 'The Tower'

http://www.dallassky.com/fwtornado.htm

Last edited by 909; February 8th, 2006 at 11:24 PM.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #5
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 221

I'm not sure it can be called a skyscraper, but this was Napier's hospital for many years until 1996 when it was shutdown:

spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #6
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

I don't know of any abandoned building in HK but there alot of dilapidated looking ones.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Detroit has some abandoned skyscrapers.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #8
conquest
كسكس

Likes (Received): 2

there were 2 towers one 35 stories and the other one 40 stories i believe in bogota wich are abandoned, but are going to be turned into a hospital soon i believe
conquest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12188

None that I know of...

There used to be a hotel near the airport that was empty,
but I don't think it was abandoned.
It is a shame to see some of those nice buildings in Detroit
abandoned.

Last edited by Taller, Better; February 9th, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

There was one I saw in Manila which is in Makati. It's right in the EDSA, SLEX interchange.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #11
carfentanyl
efil4oremirp

Detroit's Book Tower used to be empty for a while, but it has tennants again after a renovation:

Another abandoned tower in Detroit is the Broderick Tower:

Some more in Detroit:

Lee Plaza

Michigan Central

Old February 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Gneisenau
DESTROYED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909
When i visited Poland in 2004 i saw a skyscraper which looked like it was never finished. It was somewhere near Bielsko-Biala, close to the Czech border.

Wow!! So people taht doesn´t own the building can go insode, isn´t it?

Very interesting thread!
Gneisenau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #13
redstone
Lurker

Woah.... So sad to see such grand beauties getting abandoned....

Lee Plaza seems quite 'new'..
Book Tower is so amazing...
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #14
redstone
Lurker

In Singapore, two of the oldest skyscrapers here were abandoned.

MacDonald House, the oldest standing skyscraper here, at Orchard Road was vacated in 2000, and only renovated, restored and reoccupied in 2005. For the period between, the historic building sat empty and not taken care of.
But it is now a National Monument, the highest honour for any preserved building here.

Cathay Building the first skyscraper here, which includes the Cathay Cinema was also coincidentally vacated in 2000 and subsequently demolished in 2003.

Some public apartments in Singapore were slated for demolition for many years. Once a building is announced for redevelopment, residents would be compensated new housing. This can take some time and at times the last residents would move out of a building that is nearly empty. Some apartments had stood with only a few residents or totally abandoned for a few years before it is demolished.
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #15
G.N
extremely flammable

Likes (Received): 4

The Book Tower in Detroit is more than impressive. It looks like from the worst nightmare. Although the one called Michigan Central is also weird. I guess it suits perfectly post industrial American city. I guess, because I've never seen Detroit on my own..
G.N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #16
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.N
The Book Tower in Detroit is more than impressive. It looks like from the worst nightmare. Although the one called Michigan Central is also weird. I guess it suits perfectly post industrial American city. I guess, because I've never seen Detroit on my own..
Book Tower looks like Addams Family, highrise style.
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #17
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

I remembering seeing a huge abandoned building next to the Ambassador Bridge coming into Detroit. There weren't many big buildings in the area and it really stood out.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #18
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3526

How about the huge one in North Korea?

It is 350 metres high and empty!

The triangular one.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #19
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Lots of great buildings unused in Detroit Could the Polish towers now be built, now that it's richer?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #20
MichiganDude
Yay.

Likes (Received): 1

The Book Tower was never abandoned, it just needs to be cleaned up.
The Broderick Tower is going to be renoved into lofts.
Lee Plaza, I don't know what they are doing with it, it's far from downtown.
The Michigan Central Depot, there have been plans, but they fell through, it's kinda in limbo.

That picture that hkskyline posted is of the former Statler Hotel which has been demolished.

Other than that, there isn't any abandoned skyscrapers in downtown Detroit.
MichiganDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote