daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #481
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 840

Can't wait to see more cladding, hard to judge from the initial shots from the other day..
ferge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #482
chest

Likes (Received): 13298

chest está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #483
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolted View Post
Wednesday, I think, sorry, phone and my office, no attempt to capture the halo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost101 View Post
image hosted on flickr

This evening. Photos in poor light are rubbish on my phone.
And cladding
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #484
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

The cladding is fantastic. Crystal clear. The building should look fantastic when it's done
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #485
Nneznajka
Real Estate Broker

Likes (Received): 774

like the cladding
Nneznajka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #486
ghost101

Likes (Received): 0

Shiny.

image hosted on flickr

Other photos taken yesterday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2841822...en/2009/06/03/

Last edited by ghost101; June 4th, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
ghost101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #487
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

The Guv'nor settles a few scores Gerald Ronson
4 June 2009
The Daily Telegraph

GERALD Ronson is a master of dismissive insults. His new memoirs describing the ups-and-downs of life as a millionaire property entrepreneur - from tea with the Queen to Ford Open Prison - refer to former colleagues and business associates as everything from "devious'' to "egomaniacal liars''.

"I am fairly blunt,'' Ronson admits, over coffee in his office near Baker Street. "But people see me as an honest kind of man.''

This means that Ronson, worth an estimated pounds 180m, is also generous with his praise - the warmest of which he reserves for his family, especially his wife Gail, and his friend Jeremy Beadle.

It was the late comedian who persuaded Ronson to resurrect the autobiography he began 15 years ago when the tribulations of his life were still "too painful and raw''.

The result, Leading From the Front, was completed in 12 five-hour monthly sessions with his co-author Jeffrey Robinson, and is crammed with anecdotes about key financial and political heavyweights of the past few decades. Margaret, Rupert and Bob need no introduction as Thatcher, Murdoch and Maxwell.

It makes for immodest reading, but Ronson has many reasons to boast. A millionaire by the age of 25, he "practically invented'' the service station convenience store in the 1960s, eventually owning more than 1,000. Then he started his property empire, Heron, named after the father he tried to emulate and outdo, Henry Ronson.

"I'm an all-rounder,'' he declares. "I'm possibly one of the experienced people in the business after 50 years of learning about property. But things that have happened in my life would have destroyed most people.''

The entrepreneur denies the book is his way of setting the record straight about the "Guinness affair'', which led to his imprisonment for "conspiracy, theft and false accounting''. Ronson denies any wrongdoing in his account of the Guinness's takeover of Distillers.

"Has it been burning in my mind to write about it? No, not really,'' he says. "There's a lot more to my life than that.''

His time in prison is recalled with both indignation and stoicism, plus a hint of fondness for the prisoners who called him "Guv'nor''. Later, the European Court of Human Rights decreed that Ronson had received an unfair trial. "The ruling only made a couple of paragraphs in the newspapers, even though the trial had been so high profile,'' he sighs.

But the judgment was not an end to Ronson's business problems. The US "savings and loans'' crash in the early 1990s cost him pounds 500m, and he narrowly avoided bankruptcy. He has since rebuilt his fortune, developing more than 150 buildings. His portfolio will soon include the 46-storey Heron Tower - the tallest in the City of London.

The current crash is the worst he has seen, but now Heron is insulated more successfully. He points to a cushion embroidered with his motto: "Cash is king''.

"There were too many lawyers, accountants and bankers at the top of property companies who didn't know the business properly and weren't up to it as managers,'' he says. "We need a readjustment.''

Ronson is pessimistic about the next few years, having diagnosed the sources of the crash as over-leverage and incompetence.

"In the crash of 1991, it was staying alive till 95, going to heaven in 97,'' he says. "Now I think we're in for seven years. The property market may be struggling until 2015.''

But despite its current crisis, Ronson believes that this is "the greatest country in the world'' for business. The book was written, he says, to help his grandchildren understand how Britain gave him the chances that he seized as a hardworking boy from an immigrant family, who now wants to devote his life to good causes. "I may be old-fashioned but family and community are the most important values,'' he adds.

As for the future, Ronson has no intention of retiring. He works six-and-half days a week, visiting every building site that Heron works on, and maintains a rigorous routine.

Projects worth more than pounds 1.4bn are due to complete by 2015 and he will stay on to "see these through''.

"I'm nearly 70, but I've got the energy of two or three 35-year olds,'' he says with a smile.

"It's not work, it's my life. Some people say I've been opportunistic, but that's being an entrepreneur.''

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #488
gooch23
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Hes a great man, id love to work for someone like him.
gooch23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #489
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

is that how much the cladding comes out of the structure? it will make the tower much bigger then..

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #490
AmericanSkyscraper22

Likes (Received): 9

its the green and silver one with the clear facade, right?
AmericanSkyscraper22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #491
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Here's the view from the top of Strata, looking east -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/se1webs...73528/sizes/l/

If you look carefully, you can see Heron Tower between the Gherkin and Tower 42.

(click here for a bigger version)
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #492
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
I wonder how high it will be by the end of June. I think they on the hight now of the cranes... the cabins i mean.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #493
Nneznajka
Real Estate Broker

Likes (Received): 774

Thanks Love it
Nneznajka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #494
TomL-1991

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
I wonder how high it will be by the end of June. I think they on the hight now of the cranes... the cabins i mean.
If not higher i'd say. It's coming along at some serious speed now. With good weather in London it's regularly ahead of scheduale in terms of 2 floors per fortnight.
TomL-1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #495
AmericanSkyscraper22

Likes (Received): 9

nice to see one of my favourite projects is progressing nicely
AmericanSkyscraper22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #496
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

From the monument yesterday.

For people thinking of visiting London, you should definitely give this a visit....it is only £3 ($5) to visit the top.

image hosted on flickr

Have fun climbing the stairs though.

Visit Grantham Linconshire

Last edited by eddyk; June 14th, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #497
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7150

Heron will be the star once it's complete. At least as long as the Pinnacle is not built. Heron is great but I just find Pinnacle's architecture more appealing.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #498
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Bite your tongue, mate. The Pinnacle will rise on Heron's heels!
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #499
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

london looks awesome
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #500
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59957

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
is that how much the cladding comes out of the structure? it will make the tower much bigger then..
The building will still be relatively slim!

Tags
london