daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #61
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

Demolition will take a while as the existing building has asbestos.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:08 PM   #62
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

wasn't demolition originally supposed to be 36 months because of the asbestos? I know it isn't going to be anywhere near that now, but I thought it was longer originally.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #63
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

And UNESCO complains that the Tower of London could lose it's title as world heritage because there are too many highrise projects that would appear behind the tower... Where is the difference between 3 or 30 skyscrapers behind it in the skyline? The Tower will remain the tower,...????
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM   #64
Newcastle Guy

Exactly
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #65
BenL

Likes (Received): 4

I don't agree with UNESCO but don't you think a building can be affected by its surroundings? It's wrong to take a building as a stand alone object rather than something which makes up the urban fabric of the area. Imagine if St. Peter's Basilica was surrounded by a dozen 60s concrete brualist towers. It wouldn't be quite the same, would it? Low quality projects like Potters' and More London take away some of the impact of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge, whereas I believe high quality modern architecture, such as the Gherkin, can only add to it.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #66
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Looks like this WILL be built after all! Funding has been secured!

From Property Week -

Heron on brink of funding coup for £500m tower
and £95m Barcelona leisure sale

By Laura Chesters, Deirdre Hipwell, Daniel Thomas

Gerald Ronson’s Heron International is poised to seal a double international investment triumph.

In London, Heron has secured equity funding for the £500m, ‘six-star’ Heron Tower in the City from the State of Oman and corporate clients of Strategic Real Estate Investors.

The developer has also agreed a deal with Australian investment firm Babcock & Brown to sell Heron City in Barcelona, its flagship leisure and retail scheme, for around €140m (£95m).

At the Heron tower in the City, Heron is expected to invest £44m of its own money and has secured debt finance.

It had been in talks with three other global institutions but chose the State of Oman and clients of StratReal.

The funding and the debt package for the 451,474 sq ft (41,943 sq m) development is a coup for Ronson and Heron. Sceptics had suggested that it would struggle to get the tower off the ground. However, it will now be built to coincide with a strong forecast leasing market towards the end of the decade.

The oil-rich gulf state of Oman made its largest UK property purchase a year ago when it bought Hines’ 99 Queen Victoria Street office building for £65m. Hines’ then UK chief Philip Lewis is now a director at Heron.

The Heron tower will be funded through the Heron Tower Jersey Property Unit Trust, an offshore limited partnership in which the parties will hold equity stakes.

In Barcelona, Heron City is a three-storey amphitheatre-style scheme comprising 301,390 sq ft (28,000 sq m) of leisure and 64,585 sq ft (6,000 sq m) of factory outlet space. It is on the Meridiana – an arterial road passing through Barcelona.

The scheme is likely to be bought by the new Babcock & Brown GPT European Retail Fund, which launched a €400m (£270m) equity-raising campaign this week (finance, p23). Heron City is anchored by a 16-screen Cinesa Cinema. The annual rental income is €7.5m (£5m). It is thought that the Barcelona deal may be the first of other Heron City sales.
Postscript:

Land Securities is to begin looking for funding this week for its landmark ‘walkie-talkie’ tower development at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London. The company has not made a decision as to whether it will go it alone, but BH2 has been appointed to seek interest from possible partners.

[img]http://i1.************/nc1ap5.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i9.************/4g98v9s.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/33w60pd.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://i1.************/nc17yx.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i11.************/48yyi6v.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/4d3tbm1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/440muzb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/473rlm9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.************/2hdnqqt.jpg[/IMG]
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #67
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

That's very good news indeed, hope to see this baby soon u/c
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #68
Newcastle Guy

I never thought they would all go ahead, but now....

I just can't believe the second and third tallest in London got funding in the same day!!!!!

Last edited by Newcastle Guy; November 29th, 2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #69
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 228

I've always loved the Heron Tower, something about it just made me fall in love with it. And I am so over the moon that, despite all earlier talk about it being scrapped, it seems to actually be going ahead! And I bet it's speed in starting construction will surprise us all.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #70
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

Too late... I dont like it anymore.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #71
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

Finally London will be getting a skyscraper with a spire on top!

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #72
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

I like it, very good design.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #73
archelon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
And UNESCO complains that the Tower of London could lose it's title as world heritage because there are too many highrise projects that would appear behind the tower... Where is the difference between 3 or 30 skyscrapers behind it in the skyline? The Tower will remain the tower,...????
Quote of cello 1974 from october 22nd '06 in this thread (i don't know how to make it say that in the quote box)

Thats why i don't think we (the UK) should participate in these sorts of organisation, i mean what do they actually do for the Tower of London? Any extra funding they give the TOL would be handy but i'm not sure if they do that even. IMO the bother they cause far outweighs the benefits of being part of them (along with that other unspeakable organisation - letter before F, letter before V), they just seem to be an extra obstacle for developers. What actual difference will heron tower make to visitors to the tower of london, it might impact views of the tower form certain angles but its so low rise the only really good view of it is from the south bank of the thames, around city hall etc. and no one is proposing to build a big tower there are they. Can you imagine - after this tower has been standing for 50 years Unesco will be saying 'Oh no, you can build that new stunning scraper there; you'll block views of heron tower from parliament hill' or something!
Bloody UNESCO, they sit in their bloody offices in bloody New York and think they know the situation with world heritage sites in the whole universe!!! die UNESCO die

RANT OVER deep breaths

o and if anybody can enlighten me as to why the benefits of being in UNESCO outweigh the disadvantages please do as i suspect there must be a good reason - same applies for the unspeakable organisation
archelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #74
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Right, Unesco HQ can be found in Paris
Not in NYC ...
Still enough reason for a rant, I guess.

Here's your very own Unesco: http://www.unesco.org.uk/
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #75
wjfox
Futurist

3D Google Earth model, posted by Jef -

[img]http://i11.************/30wt5k7.jpg[/img]
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #76
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1578

It looks very ordinary to boring.
Sukino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #77
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

UK rules

I like it..any new tall is highly recomanded for London...
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #78
Agent Vengence

Likes (Received): 1

I like it. It looks fairly ordinary (in a good way). Most proposals in London are so wacky that it is good to have a building which has some straight edges on for once!!
Agent Vengence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #79
wjfox
Futurist

The design of this building is actually more detailed than most people realise. You need to study the different features...
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #80
Lord_Bertrum
Be the Love Generation

Likes (Received): 12

What will make this tower I'm sure is not the "boring design" (Actually I like it), but the details of the design and hopefully the use of high quality materials. I'm sure this will look great when completed.

Tags
london