daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1021
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfire101 View Post
Arrrggggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Those 3 concrete turds known as the Barbican towers.....destroyers of the London skyline, please, someone, anyone get rid of them, blow them up.... (preferably with all the rich bastard residents still inside...).

Great photo Chest....
They block my view of The City

I've always thought they would be vastly improved with white PVC cladding, it's the discoloured concrete-ness which really makes them look turdlike.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1022
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 840

You're kidding right? The concrete turdliness of them is what provides the contrast to the glass of the others. It's why I love them.
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #1023
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

The Barbican is a symbol of its time. Well, it could be cleaned but who says that people in the future will like what's being built now?
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #1024
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfire101 View Post
Arrrggggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Those 3 concrete turds known as the Barbican towers.....destroyers of the London skyline, please, someone, anyone get rid of them, blow them up.... (preferably with all the rich bastard residents still inside...).

Great photo Chest....
Re-clad them, destroy them... Anything goes but you'll need the 'rich bastards' to get something else decent to be built
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1025
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 847

I lurrrrrrve the barbican, I've walked around the inside of it but never through it (is it possible? is anyone able to walk around it or is it a gated community?) I hated it at first when I first gained an interest in architecture, because by architecture all I was interested in was tall, shiney, gleaming new skyscrapers and anything built before that was boring how maturity bodes well, hey?

I'm not a fan of brutalist architecture but this area of London is perhaps one of the most important architectural gems of the later 20th century and I personally think they should be left as they are. Not only that, but they make a superb contrast to the gleaming City cluster.
ferge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #1026
ghost101

Likes (Received): 0

On that note, the block of flats next to the Strata should remain as they are to provide "contrast".
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1027
PortoNuts

by lumberjack.

image hosted on flickr
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1028
Middle
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
by lumberjack.

image hosted on flickr
Middle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1029
PortoNuts

by AlexDuff

Old March 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1030
PortoNuts

by Skyscrapercarazeeee

Old March 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1031
HILTI

Looking good... I visited the site when it was a hole in the ground in 2008 and its come up quick... looks like it'll be over this year!
HILTI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1032
ISTARI

Likes (Received): 5

Favourite tower in London....for now :-)
ISTARI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM   #1033
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTARI View Post
Favourite tower in London....for now :-)
I agree. Soon to come:

Helter Skelter on Bishopsgate

Cheese grater on Leadenhall

Walkie Talkie on Fenchurch

and of course, The Shard!
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1034
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferge View Post
I lurrrrrrve the barbican, I've walked around the inside of it but never through it (is it possible? is anyone able to walk around it or is it a gated community?) I hated it at first when I first gained an interest in architecture, because by architecture all I was interested in was tall, shiney, gleaming new skyscrapers and anything built before that was boring how maturity bodes well, hey?

I'm not a fan of brutalist architecture but this area of London is perhaps one of the most important architectural gems of the later 20th century and I personally think they should be left as they are. Not only that, but they make a superb contrast to the gleaming City cluster.
Hard to believe that anyone could actually like this inhuman pile that sucks the life out of everything around it but there you go, as they say, there's no accounting for taste!
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1035
maartens

Likes (Received): 466

massive building! Thanks for the pictures.
maartens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1036
aclifford

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferge View Post
You can walk through and around most of the Barbican (and should) as it's a fascinating complex.

I also used to hate the Barbican and it's towers when I first became interested in architecture because they looked so ugly from afar, and probably also because it was the 80's when just about everybody hated it. Over the years though something has changed and now I love it. Maybe because i've visited it more, walked around it and seen it from various different viewpoints. This seems to be the case with most people who like the Barbican -they hated it a first but then over time something changes and they just get it.
aclifford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #1037
VictorF

Likes (Received): 3

image hosted on flickr

Flickr
VictorF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1038
preppy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

London's wallpapers are always beautiful and enjoyable - thanks.
preppy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1039
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchojoseph View Post
Wow. Londom has nothing on NYC I don't think it looks very original, but that's just my opinion

You haven't been there so you don't know. With most, if not nearly all of the previously on hold major projects back on track, London will have a variety of skylines. Plus imho, I think London's new builds are of better and much higher quality than some of NYCs, again that's just my opinion. Just check out the 2012 rendering, London has to have at least 6 different clusters of skylines, that picture by victor (sorry about the cheesy rhyme), although great, does not include all of the capital's proposed highrise zones, remember the city is just one incomplete cluster. And we're also forgetting Croydon too.

Last edited by Myster E; March 24th, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #1040
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
Hard to believe that anyone could actually like this inhuman pile that sucks the life out of everything around it but there you go, as they say, there's no accounting for taste!

Well, it's more an acknowledgement of the Barbican, and Brutalism in itself. You think that over the centuries there was the ideal that Classical architecture was the be all and end all, then with varying other styles imported from the continent and defining the way our towns and cities looked. Then it gets to the 50's and you get this (I know brutalism isn't a British-founded style either, more the likes of Le Corbusier (sp?) Frank Lloyd Wright etc.

It was more the first time buildings were built to emulate the old but redefine how we interact with the places we inhabit. The thinking was perhaps far too ahead of its time and as a result we had all these now ugly, unsuitable blocks but for me the Barbican is one of very few exceptions, it is just that other microcity within the many that make up London.

If it really was that bad, 'sucking the life out'.. I'd fail to see why it is so damn popular and expensive to live in. Anyway, back to Heron..
ferge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
london