SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iraq Projects

179K views 515 replies 83 participants last post by  BigDreamer 
#1 ·
$2bn Baghdad airport renovation

A $2bn re-build of Baghdad International Airport will start in March, Iraq Civil Aviation Authority D-G Dr Adnan Blebil told Gulf News. Three new terminals will be added to lift capacity to 7.5m passengers a year by 2010. Blebil said Iraq is aiming to sign air service agreements soon with Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Iran, with talks ongoing with other countries.

#3 ·
Riyadhi said:
$ 2 billion is alot of money. Great for Baghadad but I think there are more important things to spend money on before an airport renovation.
Ill go for a holiday to Iraq in 2010 but wont leave the airport. :)

#8 ·
#IRAQ: $80 billion dollars Al Basra port

and of course the one who is going to build it is a joint between an Iraqi company and an American company.

It will take 4 years (how?)

sorry I couldnt find an english source.

لعراق بصدد تنفيذ مشروع الميناء الكبير بالبصرة بتكلفة 80 مليار

Mar 16, 2006 - 07:04 -

دبى فى 16 مارس / وام / اشار مصدر عراقى مسؤول الى ان بلاده بصدد تنفيذ مشروع الميناء الكبير بالبصرة كميناء ترانزيت عالمى يحقق ربطا حيويا بين اسيا واوروبا.

وقال يعرب المرديني مستشار وزير النقل العراقى فى كلمة له بالجلسة الختامية لمؤتمر النقل الطرقى الدولى الذى عقد بدبى ان بلاده بصدد تنفيذ هذا المشروع الحيوى الذى سيكون هاما فى مستقبل العراق وتركيا ويعتبر بوابة رئيسية بين العراق وتركيا باعتبارهما البوابة الرئيسية لاوروبا.

وفى تصريح خاص لـ/وام/ اوضح المرديني ان المشروع يتضمن تشييد مائة رصيف بطاقة ما بين 400 الى500 مليون طن سنويا ويتوقع البدء فى التنفيذ خلال هذا العام ويستغرق التنفيذ اربع سنوات تقريبا وبتكلفة تصل الى 80 مليار دولار وقد ارسي تنفيذ المشروع بعد قرار الحكومة العراقية على شركة عراقية مشتركة مع شركة عملاقة امريكية​

this will dwarf UAE's ports :runaway:

anyway it is good for Iraq in the long run if things worked smoothly

#9 ·
this is great news i hope that the iraqies can see through these things that america wants the best for iraq.

#12 ·
LMAO wipe out UAE ports?

What a stupid stupid article!

This will fail anyway because who the hell wants to do business in Iraq? I hope it fails at this point. 80 billion in the drain because of stupididy.

G
#13 ·
What doesn't make sense? All I said is that imposing something by external force is illegal, like what is happening in Iraq. And I never mentioned any other governments in the ME because they have nothing to do with what we're talking about.

#15 ·
Hosain85 said:
What doesn't make sense? All I said is that imposing something by external force is illegal, like what is happening in Iraq. And I never mentioned any other governments in the ME because they have nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Bro,

What i'm trying to get at is, the only thing that was enforced in Iraq was the removal of Saddam and the occupation forces remaining there that are by and part mainly Western forces.

If you think there is a puppet regime being installed in Iraq then that is a very cynical opinion on the democratic process in that country and you are entitled to what you believe in.

But trust me the Kurds and the Shiite's are ready to move forward with the new governing body of Iraq and its constitution. The problem is that there are some insurgent forces in Iraq that are both Shia and Sunni that are fighting the Western Occupation force. Along with some crazy fanatic muslim groups that are going around blowing up shit left right and center with road side bombs. I'm not going to get into who was responsible for the Shrine bombings but if some of you think that the US is responsible for the Shrine bombings think again, The US only gains profit when there is peace in Iraq.

Regardless of all of this above, the truth of the matter is there are literally hundreds of Imam's in Iraq that have differing intrepretations as to how the country should be run.. Democracy and an electorial process is the only hope along with unity between the three different sectarian groups.

#21 ·
meh.... looks like a south african township... but mkay... i hope that after the war it can be a city again...

#22 ·
I've been to both Mosul and Baghdad (before the American invasion),and the difference was striking. Iraq, like most Arab countries adopted a policy of excessive centralization, where heavy investments were made in the capital and other cities were largely neglected.
That was really unfortunate, many "second cities" in the Middle East turned from major urban centers into cities in decline, while historically they were almost on par with the capital cities (Mosul,Alexandria, Aleppo, Tripoli etc...).
maybe in the future Mosul can return as a major trading center that links Syria and the Eastern mediterranean to the Iraqi hinterland. I have to say, the people of Mosul are really special, very kind and very welcoming to other Arabs (Mosul has a long Arab-nationalist history).

#23 ·
#IRAQ: Baghdad Renaissance Plan

I don't know if anyone posted this before? :D

The Proposed Baghdad Renaissance Plan

The Proposed Baghdad Renaissance Plan, is a 25-year scheme, designed by architect Hisham N. Ashkouri to transform 9 km² of silt deposits into an "an up-market commercial and residential neighborhood" astride the Tigris River in central Baghdad, as well as nearby Tahrir Square. Tahrir Square was originally part of the central business district of baghdad, and Phase I of the plan focuses on the redevelopment of this area. When finished, the "commerce, banking, medical, housing, broadcast and IT, exhibition, conventions and cultural centers" of which the plan is comprised would be occupied by up to one-half million people. The project received encouragement by the U.S. Department of Commerce as well as other US and Middle East organizations. It is a vision for the future of Baghdad, Iraq and the region. A smaller-scale proposal of Dr. Ashkouri's is the Sindbad Hotel Complex and Conference Center, a high-rise hotel and movie theater complex which would be Baghdad's first skyscraper.

The Sindbad Hotel Complex and Conference Center:

The Sindbad Hotel Complex and Conference Center was designed by architect Hisham N. Ashkouri in 2004 to be the first new high-rise hotel, conference center and movie theater complex in modern Baghdad, as a bold and visible symbol of the reconstruction of Iraq. At the ground level, the Sindbad Hotel Complex houses a restaurant and grand entryway. Above that is a two level movie theater complex and conference center. The main body of this new addition to Iraq’s skyline and symbol of its rebirth as a modern nation is comprised of twenty floors of standard hotel rooms and luxury suites. Topping it all off is a rooftop restaurant reminiscent of nomadic tents, offering a spectacular view of the Tigris River and the city below. This new commercial center will become an important symbol for the New Iraq. Not only will it be a place for gathering and recreation, and a place to conduct the business of the emerging Iraqi economy, but it will also be an employer of several hundred construction workers and after construction will employ several hundred more citizens in an ongoing capacity.

Total project cost was estimated in 2005 to be approximately $113 M USD.

The Baghdad Tahrir Square Development is the first phase in architect Hisham N. Ashkouri's (ARKADD) proposed Baghdad Renaissance Plan. Based around an established traffic circle on the banks of the Tigris River in Baghdad's Central Business District, the proposed development would develop just under 150,000 square meters at a cost of approximately $860M. Included would be hotel, office, retail and residential space.

The first component is Tahrir Circle, an eight story cultural center with a theater situated in the courtyard of the building. The next part of the development is office complex A, which forms one point of a triangular configuration of office complexes, along with B and C. A forty-two-story hotel sits in the center of the triangle as the geographic and aesthetic centerpiece of the development. The hotel and office buildings rest on a three level retail, parks, and recreation concourse. The entire cost of the Tahrir Square Development is projected to be $860 million.

Economics and Financing: The Current economic conditions in Baghdad are ripe for a new infusion of development with financial resources matching that, which can be found in new developments such as the one in Dubai. The designs allow for the private sector to take the initiative to invest in new buildings to be part of the commercial and other developments, and to pay over time the cost of the land development, long-term lease and the necessary infrastructure required for their specific sites. The design projects the Baghdad Renaissance Plan total construction cost of $13-14 billion to generate a profit of 20-30% per year.

#38 ·
wow i read ur comment and tried to remember the pre occupation iraq.

most of all the image of iraq and how that changed .the comparison will bring tears to ur eyes.

from a great and very modern country that is the first in the region . strong and advanced. to.................this.

nowadays a small hotel in a seperatist enclave in iraq is considered a reason to rejoice . do u remember when iraq was about to put a satellite in orbit . do u remember the iraq with a local nuclear program .

from space age to stone age ...............thank u usa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.