daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #1
steblack
KY native in NYC

Likes (Received): 1

LOUISVILLE | Museum Plaza | 703ft | 61 fl | Cancelled

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...602090386/1008

Last edited by desertpunk; August 1st, 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added renderings to first post.
steblack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Justin6882
Capital City

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, thats a ballsy architect. A striking contrast to some of the buildings that have been proposed here in Raleigh.

But overall, I kinda like the design, even if it is a little lego-ish. There's definitely nothing like it that I've seen, congrats Lousiville!
Justin6882 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Style™
King of the Queen

Likes (Received): 71

omg. it was compared to the Eiffel Tower. thee Gherkin, and the Sydney Opera House.

its a nice design. i just cant see it being compared to those buildings.

61 Stories
703 feet tall
$380 million total cost
85 luxury condos, starting at $400,000
150 lofts, costing $275,000 or less
300 hotel rooms
300,000 square feet of office space
1.2 million square feet total space
1,100 underground parking spots
10,500 people a day projected to use Museum Plaza
561 full-time employees needed for construction
Construction starts in 2007
Construction completed in 2010

"This will be a 24/7 environment," he said. "Part of the goal of this project is to give the revitalization effort downtown and on West Main a big boost."

^ i'm not sure how that is going to be done since the retail and museum component of the project are located 22 floors above the street?
Style™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #4
oresaw

Wow, I like it. This will definitly thrust Louisville's visability up a notch. Congratulations, I think any city would be proud to have a proposal like this. We'll definitly have to keep an eye on this project as it could be one of the more exciting projects going up in the South.
oresaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #5
verycoolnin

Likes (Received): 10

Weird looking.
verycoolnin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #6
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Amazing. It's original, and 'oddball' without being too 'out there' so it might work. How will it fit in though?
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #7
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

lets hope they don't build this. it will not fit in, it will change the skyline for the worse. maybe a long time down the road it may, if other projecs get built.
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

I am not a big fan of such design, but this is still a major investment, so congratulations to Louisville Where is it going to be built relative to the rest of the towers? Anyone cares to create a rendering of the [new] skyline for us?

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #9
DaVilleisGr8

Likes (Received): 5

It was only compared to the Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House, Gugenheim Bilboa, etc. it terms of contrasting with the existing landscape. It is by no means as "important". This project, however, should fit Louisville well. The Humana Building was a cut of the same mold. Most people thought a new box would be better. However, it put Louisville on the map in the 80's. This building should be the same. It isn't the same old shiny building with a spire to give it height that doesn't really exist. This is a major development. All the financing is in place. The developers are from a billionaire family. Plus, who has ever heard of an "island in the sky". I bet you are going to want to check it out.
DaVilleisGr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #10
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Likes (Received): 21

^ I don't think I would compare this thing to Humana at all. The two are seperate beast either way you look at it. Humana looks like a building should look. This looks like a preliminary proposal for the WTC site in NYC. Congrats nonetheless.

Nashville, the next great southern city.
Nashville @ PBase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography
Lexy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #11
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

It may be an ultra-modern design,but, It is still very boxy which takes away from "being ultra modern"
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #12
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy
^ I don't think I would compare this thing to Humana at all. The two are seperate beast either way you look at it. Humana looks like a building should look. This looks like a preliminary proposal for the WTC site in NYC. Congrats nonetheless.

LMAO! I agree, a preliminary WTC submission
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #13
DaVilleisGr8

Ah, but Lexy, you are forgetting that at the time, the Humana Building was anything but what a building was supposed to look like.

I think the whole point of OMA is for this kind of dialogue to take place. This is art. The whole premise of the structure is to house art, the art community, etc. Art is as subjective as it gets. Ergo, this will challenge everyone.
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #14
DaVilleisGr8

Obviously, with a design like this, the different angles you take on the skyline, the building will fit differently. However, this is the location. I think the skyline will look amazing if you moved this view to the right 1,000 feet.
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #15
steblack
KY native in NYC

Likes (Received): 1

Daville is right.....

I was in high school when Humana was built, and I remember when it was announced it created a huge uproar. So many people said it look anything but what a building was supposed to look like. Some people called it a giant cash register, others a pink mausoleum, etc. etc. I have a book that was published that compared the five final designs for the Humana Building (there was an architectural competition to determine the winning architect), and the Graves design was the smallest in stature of the five but the most unusual of all of them.

It's interesting how the passage of time changes our perception of what a building should look like.

I do think it's neat that the Browns are carrying on the tradition in Louisville of wealthy arts patrons going to such lengths to create not just functional architecture, but sculptural architecture that creates a public debate.
steblack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #16
smiley

Likes (Received): 573

That sucks. Not because of the general shape - monumentally, it's fine. But in terms of relating to people and the street - it is crap.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #17
iamnorthcarolina
I Am North Carolina

In that rendering with skyline above, it evokes a sort of Detroit look.
iamnorthcarolina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #18
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnorthcarolina
In that rendering with skyline above, it evokes a sort of Detroit look.

Hmmmm, good point.

I reserve my full judgement till I see streetscpe renderings. As it stands now, the thing is far from pedestrian friendly.

Nashville, the next great southern city.
Nashville @ PBase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography
Lexy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #19
card04

Defintely a unique building, I guess I like the rendering, but I will have to get used to it before I make my final judgement, definately a great project for Louisville though.
card04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #20
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

Soulbrotha asked me to post a larger version of an image above. What can I say? Wow!!!

I am not familiar with the existing landscape - on the street-level, at least - but I wonder if this project would attract more high-rises around that area. In that case, it may look/fit well, plus the chances of future developments "fixing" the street-level experience may increase. From the rendering it looks like it will be close to the river, therefore future developments cannot sit across the side facing the water, but I do not see that as a problem. I know that many people spend too much time worrying about the street-level activity, but keep in mind that some buildings will serve as elements that distinguish a city's skyline from others, while some buildings will contribute more in creating pedestrian activity. It is a very strange looking design, I must admit

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision

Last edited by Raleigh-NC; February 9th, 2006 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added content.
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote