daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #41
macgyver

Likes (Received): 4

From Archnet.org ...
Jakarta International Airport gets the Aga Khan Award for Integrating with Landscaping unless I am Mistaken

macgyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #42
IsaganiZenze
...geologist...

Likes (Received): 0

Ninoy Aquino International Aiport - Terminals 1 - 2 - 3

Overall Airport View

Terminal 1

Terminal 2

Terminal 3 (sighh....)

IsaganiZenze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #43
macgyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaganiZenze
many Toyota Kijang also there
macgyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #44
F-ian

Likes (Received): 123

there not called Kijang in Phillipines (that golden colored Car) oya its cool that NAIA Runway is an X
which is a better runway an X or a Parallel?
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #45
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 78

the airport of jakarta looks so old.. like some of the airport in the provinces of the philippines..but no offense meant guys.. they could just renovate it btw...
_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #46

it's meant to look old because it's built with 100% indonesian arcitecture, unlike other airports that keep trying to be modern and dont have any cultuiral identity in them

but i do agree that it should be renovated, but not modernized
627 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #47
indistad
leiden-yogyakarta

You know, I don't really like that obsession with traditionality of the New Order government. I hope the new planned terminals will be ultramodern. But many foreigners I meet here always mentions how beautiful Soekarno Hatta is. Some say it feels like being in a Javanese palace.. Which sometimes surprises me cause I've never really thought about it at all..

Voltaire
indistad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #48
indistad
leiden-yogyakarta

You know, I don't really like that obsession with traditionality of the New Order government. I hope the new planned terminals will be ultramodern. But many foreigners I meet here always mentions how beautiful Soekarno Hatta is. Some say it feels like being in a Javanese palace.. Which sometimes surprises me cause I've never really thought about it at all..

Voltaire
indistad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #49
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Manila, though Jakarta's is very nice aswell
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 02:34 AM   #50
vanboyH

Jakarta's airport looks much nicer.
vanboyH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #51
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Likes (Received): 13

I like Jakarta, its so green and its traditional.I like that kinda stuff.
centralized pandemonium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #52
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Likes (Received): 573

Soekarno Hatta is indeed designed using Indonesian architecture. Manila's NAIA was designed in western style since the Philippines has one of the most westernized, if not the most, westernized societies in Asia. An airport that would resemble a European or American ambience would appeal more to Filipinos.

By the way, NAIA's terminal 1 was opened in 1981 and was designed by National Artist Leandro Locsin. NAIA Terminal 2, called the Centennial Terminal since it was opened during our celebrations of our 100th year of independence from Mother Spain, was designed by Aeroports de Paris. Lastly, NAIA 3 was designed by the world-famous archtectural firm, Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill. The terminal can hold up to 15 million passengers and will function as NAIA's International Terminal.
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 05:04 AM   #53
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Sister airports?

It was earlier mentioned that NAIA's terminal 2 and SHIA were both designed by Aeroports de Paris. Here are more pics of terminal 2.

Old December 25th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #54
JustHorace
Couch Weight

By the way, before I forget, Merry Christmas!
Old December 25th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #55
docz
Hookie from Muskogee

Among the common elements between NAIA-2 and SHIA are the gardens separating the elevated ramp and the terminal.
docz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #56
richard fischer

Likes (Received): 1502

definately the overall design of jakarta with the 2 far apart runways (which allows simultanous takeoff and landings), all those fast-exit taxiways and the half-circled terminal design facing each runway and eachother and the big mantenance area far apart from the passenger traffic and all it´s blooming flora around the terminals is a fantastic layout. what i do not like is the "local design" of all these little buildings streching out to the aircraft within those half-circled terminals. here´s where i definately prefer T2 and T3 of NAIA.
but the overall layout of NAIA is a mess. no connections within the terminals, far apart from eachother, no proper planning. i would have torn down the nayong pilipino instead of the air force base and built a continuation of T2 towards and AROUND that convenient hotel. then i would have stretched T2 to T1 (eliminate and transfer that cargo shed between T1 and T2). all terminals would have been connected, and close enough to change planes with the help of people-movers quickly, without having to take a taxi/bus with all the luggage to catch a connecting domestic flight. (4 terminals including domestic terminal ! ).
i suppose the striking difference between jakarta and manila airports are that jakarta was planned completely new on a new location, while manila (due to lack of funds) was just enlarged where it is. there is no proper 2. runway, no expansion is possible here. until DMIA in subic can substitute NAIA (with 2 parallel runways), years, if not decades will pass. so a comparison, in my opinion, is not really fair nor possible. best regards from germany, richard
richard fischer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #57
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

NAIA 3

ABOUT TERMINAL 3

In 1990, the Manila International Airport Authority commissioned Aeroport de Paris to conduct the NAIA Master Plan Study which assessed Manila’s need for a new terminal due to the growing volume of international travel to and from the Philippines. In keeping with this study, International Passenger Terminal 3 is being built to accommodate 13 million passengers annually. When operational, come June 21, 2005, Terminal 3 accommodate all international traffic.
The NAIA Terminal 3, part of the 1990 MIAA Airport Master Plan, is undergoing construction at the 65-hectare property on the Villamor Airbase side near runway 13-31 and will have a capacity of 10 to 14 million passengers.

In June 2000, the Government of the Republic of the Philippines, under the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) scheme, began construction of NAIA Terminal 3 on a vast tract of land inside the Villamor Air Base. With its completion, the new international airport would bring the Philippines to new heights in travel and business, with its state-of-the-art technology in providing world-class efficiency, unparalleled comfort, and optimum security.

From the beginning the NAIA Terminal 3 has been envisioned as the “People’s Terminal”, where both passengers and well-wishers are given ample space inside the terminal, with a wide array of amenities to share together.

NAIA IPT 3 is a part of the Philippines moving forward into a new Millennium. It is committed to a high level of quality beffiting the new entryway to the Nation’s gateway to the rest of the world.

The main terminal building is designed to symbolize Philippine progress. NAIA IPT 3 will be a formidable structure, immediately visible upon entry form the main access road.

The NAIA IPT 3 will serve as a catalyst for the development of the site itself and adjacent areas to such as establishments that will provide a broad range of services that will cater to international travelers and general public.

With its offer to the wide variety of attractions, NAIA and its surroundings will be transformed into a major destination within Metro Manila.

More Photos

Old December 25th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #58
aen

hhm...do we really need a vs thread on this ?
aen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #59
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((myx)))
the airport of jakarta looks so old.. like some of the airport in the provinces of the philippines..but no offense meant guys.. they could just renovate it btw...
its not that old...Its a beautiful airport, they definitely dont need to renovate it. All they need to do is improve their maintenance. Its meant to look traditional, thats the beauty of it.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #60
Askal82
woof! woof!

Likes (Received): 395

Here's my opinion:

Jakarta's airport looks like the work of art done in the unique Indonesian-style architechture. One of the kind in the world!

NAIA's approach has more of the usual modern, industrial, and western appeal = massive glass panels, very spacious interiors with huge columns of steel (or concrete) joints and hinges attaching the ceiling to the floor. I can compare NAIA 2 and 3 to that of Incheon International in South Korea more than Jakarta in terms of architechtural and internal similarities.

Last edited by Askal82; December 25th, 2005 at 11:55 PM.
Askal82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
zamboanga city, zamboanga peninsula