daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.89 average.
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #81
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 1

Well, with the height limits in the area, it would make sense to leave 1CS as the pinnacle. The only other place that would suit is in between "ID52" and Citigroup. I'm guessing that 1CS is pretty close to the limits anyway so anything taller would just stretch out the block of buildings.
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #82
Skid-Mark
Punctual and polite

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, you've been here a long time Lance, i've never seen you before, you must be a real lurker... (you know whats coming...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
this has decended into farce...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #83
Lance
Most ignored user!

I make the odd post here and there. Seem to have lost about 300 posts from my count and my avatar picture.... but there you go. Anyway, hello!
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #84
randolph

Likes (Received): 65

Can anyone put up a render of the original CW designs- before the height reductions - I can just about remember them but would be curious to be reminded of what we missed out on!
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #85
Munch

I really dont think that OCS needs to be the tallest in order to be the 'centre' or the 'pinnacle' (conceptually).

I also do not think that (aesthetically) heights should be limited in this area. The interpret the entire point of the docklands project as a growth area where tall buildings are acceptable.

OCS is already flanked by two buildings which are only slightly shorter. This does little to create a true 'pinnacle' as it produces much more of a flat roof effect. The floor plates of the canada square buildings are large and therefore the buildings do appear squater than they need to.

I wouldnt reject Columbus for being too tall, i wouldnt require it to cut down its' height either.

A height restriction to 'protect' OCS is arbitrary and not in the best interests of the area.

(these arguments have nothing to do with the imposed restrictions due to flight paths etc... that's a different issue entirely)

George Costanza liked this post
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #86
AXISPAW

Likes (Received): 5

i agree, ocs has a very prestigious look and due to its position will always have centre stage status. columbus if built would have been a great addition regardless its height, and would never have aquired attention away from ocs. when north quey is built it will have a height of 215metres, not too far from ocs, and inevitably there will be higher buildings built in the future.(well hopefuly) if the height problem lies entirely on city airport perhaps cw could build higher further south of the estate.
AXISPAW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #87
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5932

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
Can anyone put up a render of the original CW designs- before the height reductions - I can just about remember them but would be curious to be reminded of what we missed out on!
You mean these? -

Old October 30th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #88
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 245

No I think he means the original Canary Wharf Designs...before 1CS etc. I remember a render of twin towers where HSBC and Citycorps are now.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #89
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 173

Credit Suisse First Boston Building

Would have been 250m
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #90
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1699

Chintzy.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #91
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 245

YEs...I remember there were meant to be twin 600ft towers either side, so we gained there as the incumbents are about 700ft!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #92
randolph

Likes (Received): 65

Thanks guys! -I did actually mean the original 1980,s CW scheme - the one that Prince Charles put his oar into. I don't recall seeing that render before ,I seem to remember something taller (over 300m) and more slender with two towers either side.
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #93
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 12

There was a wooden model of the original masterplan that was carted around the island before construction started. Olympia and York were very much into the community/public relations charade at the time.
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #94
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Anybody any news about Wood Wharf? Should the Rogers masterplan not have been finished by now? With residential prices at current levels would they not want to start that stage in 2007 or 2008?
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #95
jef

Likes (Received): 5

The masterplan has been approved I think. The detailed planning application will be submitted in Q1 2007 and construction could start in 2008 at the earliest. The development has been delayed because the joint venture did(does?) not (yet) own all the lands to go ahead.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #96
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
The masterplan has been approved I think. The detailed planning application will be submitted in Q1 2007 and construction could start in 2008 at the earliest. The development has been delayed because the joint venture did(does?) not (yet) own all the lands to go ahead.
Jef - With all the different masterplans posted above, do you know what is now the final masterplan?
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #97
uk2012

Likes (Received): 0

DEL

Last edited by uk2012; June 21st, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
uk2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #98
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2867

the two pictures will posted are the same masterplan. this is what has been approved. the scheme is now being individually designed.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #99
london lad

Likes (Received): 479

Im sure Rogers has been working on a new masterplan- That was the original one drawn up by other architects for British Waterways.

Rogers has been working on the new plan for a while now (since summer 2005) along with BDP who were due to design the first phase of the residential element. It was due to go into planning this Autumn but this has now been pushed back to the first quarter of 2007.

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -

This bit of news from Propertyweek -July 2005

Architect Richard Rogers has won the race to pick up one of the most prestigious masterplans in the country, the £2bn Wood Wharf scheme in London Docklands.

The 8 ha site is the biggest to be developed in the area since Canary Wharf and would create a new quarter in one of the capital’s fastest growing areas.

The Richard Rogers Partnership is understood to be on the point of being selected from an undisclosed shortlist. The client for the scheme is a 50:50 joint venture between British Waterways, which is a public corporation, and private developers Canary Wharf and Ballymore.

Canary Wharf and Ballymore were picked as preferred development partners in January. Other bids were entered by British Land, Grosvenor and Stanhope.

RRP has been working with the private sector developers on the designs but is now about to be appointed by British Waterways as well. A source at the firm said RRP would advance an initial masterplan for the site completed by Bath architect Nick Kuhn two years ago.

The source said: “There are obviously constraints from the original masterplan but we will be looking at the overall site again.”

Kuhn’s masterplan has been enshrined in Tower Hamlets council’s supplementary planning guidance. It provides for at least 460,000 m2 of floorspace, of which 330,000 m2 will be commercial and 120,000 m2 residential.

Stuart Mills, British Waterways’ head of property, refused to be drawn on the appointment but said the masterplanner would be joined by other architects to design individual phases in future.

He said: “This kind of site seldom becomes available. It has the potential to become a world-class opportunity, and we are looking for something quite special.”

Mills added that the client was aiming to submit an outline planning application in the middle of next year, with the intention of starting building 18 months from now.

- - - - - - - - -- - - - - -
From BDP architects

"It will follow on from the development of a masterplan prepared by Richard Rogers Partnership, working with BDP as public space and placemaking consultant. BDP will also carry out an environmental impact assessment of the masterplan site.

The plan will transform the eight hectare docklands site with new homes, offices, shops, a hotel, a working waterway and open space.

The fast track programme requires an outline planning application for the masterplan, with a simultaneous detailed application for the phase 1 element, to be made within 15 months."
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #100
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Im sure Rogers has been working on a new masterplan- That was the original one drawn up by other architects for British Waterways.

Rogers has been working on the new plan for a while now (since summer 2005) along with BDP who were due to design the first phase of the residential element. It was due to go into planning this Autumn but this has now been pushed back to the first quarter of 2007.
London Lad - thank you. So that means that with a bick of luck they will be constructing stage 1 in 2008....

Tags
canary wharf, east london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: