daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.93 average.
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #101
london lad

Likes (Received): 509

JCG- Possibly-
I remebered I had an email from britishwaterways way back in the year & they said they hope to consult & submit early next year & get a planning application not long after.

BUT CW & Ballymore are both busy with all there other schemes so who knows for sure. Although seeing as the resi element is the first in for planning it could start in 2008.

Just to recap what each is doing at present & in 2007

CWG-
CP buildings
12 Canada Square
RS

Ballymore-
Ontario
Crossharbour
Arrowhead Quay
Pipeline-
Mastmaker (has Planning permission)O
44 storey Ontario tower ( in planning)
Leamouth Pensinsula (In planning)
Minoco Wharf (In planning)
Wapping Gate (In planning)

So both have quite a bit with planning permission or in for planning. So where Wood Wharf sits in this pipeline may depend on how quickly they can start these schemes. Leamouth & Minoco are both massive schemes as well.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 19th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #102
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 187

Quick off-topic question -- are master-plans done by architects usually, and not planners?? I was thinking of a career change to planning to do urban layouts, etc, but it seems the architects do it all (
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #103
jef

Likes (Received): 5

In their interim results, CW reported an outline planning application for the entire Wood Wharf site is expected by the first quarter 2007.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #104
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Quick off-topic question -- are master-plans done by architects usually, and not planners?? I was thinking of a career change to planning to do urban layouts, etc, but it seems the architects do it all (

I would guess that the architects have the practical skills and knowledge of what is realisitc for the budget offered as opposed to a dream.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #105
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
I'm not going to say their's no point doing architecture, but really do consider engineering.
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #106
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass View Post
I'm not going to say their's no point doing architecture, but really do consider engineering.
Engineering sets the boundaries of what is possible... best is the combination of an engineering and archectural degree in my opinion. But my parents only allowed me to take the former. Unfortunately in this country engineers are not always respected unless you move into the financial industry. My dream yet remains to take up real engineering work one day again.. I probably need some retooling. Engineering degrees are perfect... it allows you to work anywhere... derivatives in the City, which is one of the highest earning areas, is an engineers club.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #107
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGG View Post
Unfortunately in this country engineers are not always respected unless you move into the financial industry.
Sounds very familiar. I did mech eng at uni with the intention of a career as an engineer in the car industry. Realised in my final year that there was little money and scarce opportunities in the engineering industry and ended up working for one of the big 4 accountancy firms. The amazing thing was that about half of my year group were also engineering graduates!
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #108
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
Sounds very familiar. I did mech eng at uni with the intention of a career as an engineer in the car industry. Realised in my final year that there was little money and scarce opportunities in the engineering industry and ended up working for one of the big 4 accountancy firms. The amazing thing was that about half of my year group were also engineering graduates!
In the City we call ourselves the "financial engineers" and in fact it has become a rather prestigious term. You call yourselves the "accountancy engineers"? I love accounts engineering.

In all seriousness UK universities are excellent in engineering, we still send them our mathematical problems (most of our pricing models are derived from physics such as Black Scholes), but there are just not enough students coming out of them. Then we get these people with an economics degree and they fall over as soon as they see a differential equation...

The worst remains law degrees though....

Last edited by JGG; December 20th, 2006 at 12:22 PM.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #109
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 187

Thanks, but maths is not my strong point and neither my interest so I doubt i'd be able to get through an engineering degree at this point.

Exbass -- what do you think about studying architecture? Planning, or Development are other options, or perhaps transport planning, but that could be a bit dull...don't really know what thats about yet.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM   #110
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Exbass -- what do you think about studying architecture? Planning, or Development are other options, or perhaps transport planning, but that could be a bit dull...don't really know what thats about yet.
It's eXSBass

I just sent of for Universities. Going Uni next year. Just applied for my courses.
I was hell bent on doing Architecture. I did the works. You know, prepared my port folio, wrote down what I will write in my UCAS. Etc. I was literally, as vain as it sounds, the perfect architecture applicant.
But then I learnt a few facts. When you've completed your 7 year degree in architecture you don't go and do the exciting jobs you'd thought you'd do. At best, a practice will give a newly graduated architect to decide where a window might go, or where a door might go. Not the exciting stuff like working in a team and designing a stadium with a capacity of 200,000 people. Or designing a mid rise with a team. With architecture, in order for you to do even qualify to do the big jobs you need to live, breathe, eat and think about architecture whilst making love to your partner. And not even that, it's not uncommon to do extra work on your days off in the practice to catch up on deadlines.
Architecture is very, very demanding. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to put you off, but i'm merely stating the facts.

With engineering however, I believe it's another world! The reason I chose to apply to Mechanical Engineering as apposed to architecture is because of the diversity of the course. A graduated engineer is more likely to minor work on a big project that say a graduated architect.
Engineers HAVE to work with Architects. It's the engineers that solve the problems behind buildings, with architects. If an architect sent plans for anything, an engineer would have to look at the plans and say "Look, i'm not happy with this and that. Move that there, and get this here and your building will be safe." It's the architects that deal with the aesthetics. Although, architects do solve some engineering problems, they're usually minor ones. Where should this beam go? How much will this building sway?

Furthermore, with Mechanical Engineering, if you don't like say the civil part of things. You can move elsewere! That's the beauty! An engineer could be working on Shard: London Bridge on the 25th December, but the same engineer could be working on an Airbus A380 the following week! With engineering you could go into airoplanes, cars, buildings, product design, literally anything!

I got told something that greatly changed my mind and made me open up to new things:
"You will never become a millionaire from engineering, but you will get something worth much more, an interesting and rewarding career that you will never tire of."

That's why I chose Engineering over Architecture.
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM   #111
mulattokid
BLAND

four of y friends are architects. One is a U S American from Georgetown, and had been desigining for years. His most exiting project in all those years (IMO) was to do a two storey office building the size of a couple of semi detached houses. Only the big guns get to even assist on towers, but I think you get bigger projects working directly for local authorities

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM   #112
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass View Post
It's eXSBass

Engineers HAVE to work with Architects. It's the engineers that solve the problems behind buildings, with architects. If an architect sent plans for anything, an engineer would have to look at the plans and say "Look, i'm not happy with this and that. Move that there, and get this here and your building will be safe." It's the architects that deal with the aesthetics.

When I think of the World Trade Centre, I think of the Chief Engineer Mr G Robinson, I do not think of the architect (Japanese US American). Robinson thought of moving the beams to the outside to make the building possible....

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM   #113
DMT20

Ive just had my year out and have been involved in some very exciting projects where my role extended from model making, initial design sketches, cad, detailed design (which for me is the most enjoyable and where a project makes the leap from a 'building' to being architecture) and the list goes on. If you have ambition and are reasonably competant then theres no way you will be stuck doing window placements for too long.

One thing I would warn potential architecture students about is that whilst it is incredably enjoyable and rewarding, the commitment is vast in terms of the amount of time spent doing work at uni. It is not uncommon for me to spend the entire night working in the studio. Having said that, the atmosphere is amazing and I find that the group of people are really close. Also, the earnings in relation to the investment of time and money in the degree are not a patch on other professions such as accounting and Law. But I wouldnt change what im doing for the world as it is a wonderful course doing something im really passionate about.

Hope that helps someone!
DMT20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #114
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6668

Posted by london lad in the other thread. Seems to suggest this has been put back another year -

Old January 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #115
london lad

Likes (Received): 509

It doesn't really- It just says planning anticipated by 2009. I checked with the people from British waterways towards the end of last year & they said it was still on course for the full masterplan & planning applications to go in for the first half of this year. It was due to go in towards the Q4 of last year but got pushed back.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #116
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Yes, Will, it has been delayed by at least one year. Construction was anticipated to start in 2008 (see CW annual report 2006). They have enough
in the pipeline with RS and NQ.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #117
Xander

When you talk about Wood Wharf being constructed, does this mean that every building will go up at once, or will they build in stages?

ニョキニョキと広くて青い空に延ばしている摩天楼...........

My threads:
Taiwan: 1 2 3; Malaysia; Singapore; Indonesia- 1 2 3; Toronto: 1 2
Xander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #118
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 1

Stages.

I think that it will be pushed further up the pipeline because Canary Wharf are partners in this scheme not the sole developer.

British Waterways will want to make money from this scheme sooner rather than later so I imagine they might get a bit impatient waiting for Canary Wharf to build out almost their entire portfolio first.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #119
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 186

Didn't know if these had been seen yet:

Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #120
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1947

Bit old I think.

As far as I was aware the arch had been dropped.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canary wharf, east london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: