daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #21
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59967

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
The scene below is my favourite 'juxtaposition' in London.

The church in the foreground is nearly 500 years old - it survived both the Great Fire of London and the bombings of WW2! Next to the futuristic SwissRe, the contrast between old and new is incredible:

Wow, great image!

Here's one more London contrast, the London Eye and County Hall - London Aquarium:

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #22
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Excellent shot. I look forward to visiting London soon, having some family over there, I might be able to get free rooming

TORONTO

Whitney Block, Ontario Legislature Building, CN Tower

Queen St E. & Victoria

Last edited by Skybean; March 27th, 2006 at 04:00 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #23
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Prague

Source : http://www.pbase.com/burciny

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM   #24
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

^ I'm not a fan of that Ginger and Fred building, or whatever it is called. Too gimmicky and trying to hard to be "unique". Once the craze for novelty buildings passes, they start to look "over the top".
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM   #25
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

out of place out of place...

I just love all these examples!

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #26
Metropolitan 3.0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
yes Tour Montparnasses location is horrible. It was the biggest mistake to built it there.
Actually, the location of Tour Montparnasse makes a lot of sense. The big problem with the building is that it is awfully ALONE!

If there were 3 to 5 buddies around Tour Montparnasse, it would make a skyline, and it would work. It's technically very easy to build skyscrapers in the area. There's a train station nearby and a lot of awful modern blocks around that could be scraped without bothering anyone.
Metropolitan 3.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #27
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Well, the biggest crime was demolishing the original train station and building the insult to humanity that is currently there. The skyscraper itself is ok, and I agree with Metropolitan 3.0, it's only main fault is that it is alone. Building skyscrapers on their own rarely ever works and it works even less in Europe when they drop them in the middle of a historical neighbourhood. Why they keep doing this when nearly everyone hates this, and why so many places avoid clusters, when again, almost all disdain for skyscrapers evaporates when people see them in clusters, I just will never understand.
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #28
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Well, Tour Montparnasse looks ugly, but its location is quite far from the main historic sights, so I guess it's not so bad after all!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #29
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Well, the biggest crime was demolishing the original train station and building the insult to humanity that is currently there. The skyscraper itself is ok, and I agree with Metropolitan 3.0, it's only main fault is that it is alone. Building skyscrapers on their own rarely ever works and it works even less in Europe when they drop them in the middle of a historical neighbourhood. Why they keep doing this when nearly everyone hates this, and why so many places avoid clusters, when again, almost all disdain for skyscrapers evaporates when people see them in clusters, I just will never understand.
Churches were always alone. Skyscrapers too work when they are alone, but only if they are not blocky like Montparnasse, but slender, elegant and resembling church spire like Swiss-Re or Shard, or Bishopsgate.
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #30
avimael39182
Muyertz User

Likes (Received): 2541

MEXICO CITY.

Mi Instinto Maternal me dice que...
avimael39182 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #31
Diego N
Dark Lurker

Likes (Received): 858

Yeah, the skyscrapers should be more near of each other, to make a better view.
How did they let to build something like that in the old Paris? Totally strange, even for you, parisians, and for the tourist, maybe something they try to hide on the pictures!

* Os pilares para o desenvolvimento do interior são: Pavimentação, Cooperativismo e Acompanhamento Técnico.
Diego N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #32
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Nunez View Post
I hate it!!!!!!!!!! It looks awful I hate everything modern in paris.even the art deco buildings look out of place.and that goes for london.
How could art deco be out of place in Paris? After all, art deco originated in that city! The most beautiful examples in the world for this particular style can be found in Paris, and many are relatively integrated with their surroundings.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #33
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

I love Tour Montparnasse. It reminds me of those evil headquarters you see in movies.

Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #34
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Churches were always alone. Skyscrapers too work when they are alone, but only if they are not blocky like Montparnasse, but slender, elegant and resembling church spire like Swiss-Re or Shard, or Bishopsgate.
Well, churches are a different thing. I have yet to meet anyone that has ever said how they hate to see churches. Skyscrapers, especially in Europe is rather different. Sure, I've met other people like yourself that don't mind them standing alone, but most I meet think they are out of place and should never be there. However, when those same people see a cluster, they tend to be more positive.

The odd thing for me is, that although I personally generally don't like to see single skyscrapers and much prefer clusters, I actually am quite fond of Tour Montparnasse. I don't know why, I just somehow like it. (Station aside)
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #35
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

How are churches different? Both are tall buildings, both overshadow their neighbours, the difference is simply in the fact that one was built for the worship of God while the other for worship of money.

It is all about architecture ; if its beautiful, imaginative and elegant building, then why surround it with weeds? Show it off! Indeed I couldnt imagine Shard or Turning Torso standing in a cluster, it would ruin them.

Clusters rarely look good (exceptions being Seattle and Singapore). For me a good skyline is not about number of skyscrapers, but about aesthetics. The skyline should be pleasing to the eye. Thats why I (and I suspect many people) like old European skylines with their church spires and turrets, which spread out over large area, punctuate the scenery for you and add drama.
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #36
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

St Patrick's NYC USA

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #37
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
How are churches different? Both are tall buildings, both overshadow their neighbours, the difference is simply in the fact that one was built for the worship of God while the other for worship of money.

It is all about architecture ; if its beautiful, imaginative and elegant building, then why surround it with weeds? Show it off! Indeed I couldnt imagine Shard or Turning Torso standing in a cluster, it would ruin them.

Clusters rarely look good (exceptions being Seattle and Singapore). For me a good skyline is not about number of skyscrapers, but about aesthetics. The skyline should be pleasing to the eye. Thats why I (and I suspect many people) like old European skylines with their church spires and turrets, which spread out over large area, punctuate the scenery for you and add drama.
Hey, you and I have something in common. We frequent a skyscraper forum and we are Europeans. That is not really a common thing. Most Europeans I know don't like skyscrapers ;O) And most Europeans I know love historical architecture.

I remember when I came over to live in London years and years ago, I was showing my flatmates some photos and had the Sydney skyline in the background. All of them, and all their spouses all said the same thing. Lovely harbour, and would be a nice place except for those hideous high buildings. I couldn't believe it as I loved the skyline of Sydney. But hey, that's how it is.

Go almost anywhere else in the world and the population usually love and are proud of their skyline and you would be hard pressed to find someone who hates skyscrapers. Europe is a different place though.
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #38
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Personally I dont really care whether its a skyscraper or not, for me the most important thing is whether it is good architecture. Skyscrapers abroad are usually boxy and ugly things and are seen as an indicator of how developed you are, so the more you have the better.
It is interesting to note that while Europe is not home to the highest skyscrapers in the World, it is home to some of the best ones architecturally. Everyone loves Swiss-Re, Turning Torso or Messeturm. We Europeans demand quality and have something no-one else has or appreciates - heritage. Europe always has been home to architectural masterpieces and nowhere in the world has such well preserved cities and towns. At the same time we are inventive and forward looking. We dont need skyscrapers to feel better about ourselves, it is good that our cities have not become clone-towns full of car-parks and concrete tower blocks. Moreover they are seen as an American invention and we naturally are suspicious of anything American. Then again having seen their other contributions to the World who can blame us?

Last edited by El_Greco; August 21st, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
El_Greco está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM   #39
Metropolitan 3.0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
That's actually a quite interesting observation you did here.

Indeed, most people I know here in Paris hates skyscrapers, and usually take the example of Tour Montparnasse to explain their dislike. However, they generally like cities such as NYC or HK, which are filled with them. When I tell them that, they don't know how to answer and generally just say that they like them in dedicated cities, but not in Europe.

Personally, I believe that stand alone skyscrapers can't work because they look out of scale. Furthermore, a skyscraper is not a public building, it is a private building. Churches don't bother because they are public places, open to everyone. They represent a common good.

Grouped together in a cluster, skyscrapers are more accepted by Europeans because there's not the same feeling of domination of a single building over the rest of the city. Furthermore, a cluster generally marks a neighbourhood, which is also open to everyone (like the church). So even if the buildings are private, the fact they are grouped together is perceived as marking the interest of the neighbourhood as a whole.

In this context, it's indeed very weird that so many skyscrapers are built in Europe standing alone. I guess it comes from the fact we have old city centres that we want to preserve, so we scatter them around in the peripherical areas. But it's totally counter-productive.

The current mayor of Paris, Bertrand Delanoë, wants to build highrise buildings in Paris. However, as he knows they aren't popular, he wants to build them all far from the centre, nearby the Périphérique motorway. I don't get this. We already have many highrise around the Périphérique, and no matter their quality (most are crap, but some are actually decent), it just doesn't work!

In my humble opinion, it would be better to destroy the awful shopping centre near the Montparnasse tower (a big blockhaus which could have been built during WW2) and rebuild instead new commercial blocks, with pedestrian streets. This would also give the opportunity to add one or two smaller highrise buildings from 140m to 180m to put an end to the awful isolation of the tower.

This is probably the best thing which could happen to the district. I even believe the success would lead to the construction of other highrise buildings later in the long term. That neighbourhood isn't really historical. Building more skyscrapers there wouldn't be a problem for Paris. And concentrating them in a single neighbourhood would be far better than scattering them around as it is currently sponsored by politicians.

Last edited by Metropolitan 3.0; August 21st, 2010 at 08:26 AM.
Metropolitan 3.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:30 AM   #40
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Is it because in France, skyscrapers are associated with public housing, where crime rates are higher and quality of life lower?