daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM   #481
Kevin Russel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 195

Been almost a year since the first ever test run of the state of the art 4500HP WDP4D locomotive on Konkan Railway...:')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6y-t3BVhpY
Kevin Russel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:13 PM   #482
Kevin Russel
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-JXxDJd94
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #483
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

Today on Railway Gazette, although behind the schedule:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...ne-opened.html

Chikmagalur line opened
24 Dec 2013

INDIA: Minister of Railways Mallikarjun Kharge opened South Western Railway’s 45 km Kadur – Chikmagalur line on November 19. The broad gauge branch connects Chikmagalur, Kanivehalli, Sakarayapatna and Bisalehalli to the Hubli – Bangalore main line, and includes four major and 75 minor bridges.

The project was first proposed in 1893 and revived on a number of occasions, with surveys undertaken in 1983. The government gave the go-ahead in 1996-97 and work began in 1999, but progress was slow because of inadequate funding and delays in land acquisition.

In April 2010 the state of Karnataka stepped in with an offer to pay up to half the costs and expedite land acquisition. The cost increased from an estimated Rs1·57bn to Rs3·19bn, with Karnataka paying Rs1·03bn.

Surveys have been completed for a 47 km continuation from Chikmagalur to Sakleshpur, for which the state government has offered to meet 50% of the estimated Rs6·52bn cost and provide the land.

n20 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #484
dave23

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
What a beautiful station.
Yeah, The building was built in olden days and it still used by Indian Railways.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #485
Kevin Russel
BANNED

My personal favourite...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reg4TUwy8QI

Zero Gravity liked this post
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #486
Kevin Russel
BANNED

Indian Railways on an Anti-Tobacco Campaign!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoJ-mHyOrL8
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:11 PM   #487
Kevin Russel
BANNED

The beauty of Konkan Railway. Three Bridges and Three Tunnels in Three Minutes at Three Digit Speeds!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vribU7fAXoM

Zero Gravity liked this post
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:25 PM   #488
Kevin Russel
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Q6jBsWfnY
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:19 AM   #489
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
It's political in my view. The only route which should be chosen is Delhi Mumbai, just like the Beijing Shanghai HSRL. After that Mumbai-Chennai via Bangalore and Mumbai-Ahmedabad are close in the reckoning. There isn't any point in an HSR ending in Ahmedabad given how many buses and trains go there already. It makes more sense for a Delhi Mumbai HSR to go via Ahmedabad. Hope the next government is more sensible. On the other hand I don't see HSR being built in a hurry so don't hold your breath.
First Chinese HSRL is actually Qinhuangdao–Shenyang (I doubt most people outside of China have even heard of these two places), opened 2003. (Guangzhou-Shenzhen was earlier in 1998, but it's upgraded from existing tracks) Before starting a building out a network, you start on two cities that moderately close, with terrain that's easy to build, have good infrastructure already and then test the heck of the system to work out the best practices and what technology actually suit the conditions for the country. (Example experience operating the Shanghai Maglev and Qinhuangdao–Shenyang HSR seal the deal for Conventional rail against Maglev, and later for Ballastless track against traditional tracks that suit operating conditions in China, and China needs to import foreign technology rather than just rely on existing China-Star projects. China only learned these lessons and experience while operating a commercial rather than doing paper studies.)

To me, picking Mumbai-Ahmedabad actually shows forward planning rather than complacence. Imagine investing billions and years into a high stakes Mumbai-Delhi line only to find out all sorts of problems adopting the technology or worst picked a wrong technology, a few month into operation. While in a Mumbai-Ahmedabad situations, you find out problems earlier, and in a much more cost efficient way.

n20 liked this post

Last edited by luhai; January 2nd, 2014 at 04:41 AM.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:38 AM   #490
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave23 View Post
Yeah, The building was built in olden days and it still used by Indian Railways.
yeah Victoria Terminus is one of the most beautiful stations I've ever been. Definitely the pearl of all Indian stations
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM   #491
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
First Chinese HSRL is actually Qinhuangdao–Shenyang (I doubt most people outside of China have even heard of these two places), opened 2003. (Guangzhou-Shenzhen was earlier in 1998, but it's upgraded from existing tracks) Before starting a building out a network, you start on two cities that moderately close, with terrain that's easy to build, have good infrastructure already and then test the heck of the system to work out the best practices and what technology actually suit the conditions for the country. (Example experience operating the Shanghai Maglev and Qinhuangdao–Shenyang HSR seal the deal for Conventional rail against Maglev, and later for Ballastless track against traditional tracks that suit operating conditions in China, and China needs to import foreign technology rather than just rely on existing China-Star projects. China only learned these lessons and experience while operating a commercial rather than doing paper studies.)

To me, picking Mumbai-Ahmedabad actually shows forward planning rather than complacence. Imagine investing billions and years into a high stakes Mumbai-Delhi line only to find out all sorts of problems adopting the technology or worst picked a wrong technology, a few month into operation. While in a Mumbai-Ahmedabad situations, you find out problems earlier, and in a much more cost efficient way.
That's an interesting point and kind of makes sense. Most other countries with HS rail started with higher recognition projects, though.

France: Paris-Lyon
Spain: Madrid-Seville
Japan: Tokyo-Osaka
Italy: Rome-Florence
Turkey:Ankara-Eskisehir (part of Ankara-Istanbul)
Germany: Hanover-Wurzburg (This one as obscure as in China)
South Korea: Seoul-Daegu (part of Seoul-Busan)
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #492
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Mods please rename this thread as 'Kevin Russel's video compilation thread'.

n20 liked this post
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:46 PM   #493
Kevin Russel
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post
Mods please rename this thread as 'Kevin Russel's video compilation thread'.
Have a problem with me sharing videos and pictures shot/clicked in INDIA in a thread meant for sharing everything about 'Indian Railways'? Strange...-_-

Sopomon liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #494
Kevin Russel
BANNED

This video amused me... Dogs run away when they see a speeding train...humans try to beat the train...:P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Kvkx6EEy0

Vignole liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM   #495
Kevin Russel
BANNED

Moderators:
Please delete all the video content posted by me here, on this thread, if it hurts or fails to satisfy some people.
Thank You.

Last edited by Kevin Russel; January 2nd, 2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:34 PM   #496
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Kevin, it's not your fault that not many others bother to publish their videos in this thread. I like yours, thank you for sharing.

Kevin Russel liked this post
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:31 AM   #497
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Ooops, liked the wrong post.
This thread isn't really the place to spam a YT channel, even if the videos are on topic.

If you've got any news pertaining to IR, do post away though.

Pals_RGB liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:32 AM   #498
Kevin Russel
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Ooops, liked the wrong post.
This thread isn't really the place to spam a YT channel, even if the videos are on topic.

If you've got any news pertaining to IR, do post away though.
Oh! So "Sharing" amounts to "Spamming"??? Anyway, I won't lose anything by not sharing my videos here.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 05:07 AM   #499
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

There's a point where 'sharing' ends and 'spamming' begins.
When roughly 7/8 of the recent posts on this thread are from your YT channel (to the extent that I - at least - have started ignoring this thread for the most part) it's pretty safe to say it's less sharing than spamming. I'll leave it to the mods to clarify though.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:16 AM   #500
Kevin Russel
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

There's a point where 'sharing' ends and 'spamming' begins.
When roughly 7/8 of the recent posts on this thread are from your YT channel (to the extent that I - at least - have started ignoring this thread for the most part) it's pretty safe to say it's less sharing than spamming. I'll leave it to the mods to clarify though.
It is none of my concerns if you 'THINK' that this is 'spamming' rather than 'sharing'. Just because others haven't come across this thread or rather are not at all interested in sharing their content here, it doesn't mean that you call the one who does share his content as a spammer. And you are free to ignore all the posts made by me if it irritates you. I am an Indian Railways Enthusiast and I 'WILL' share content related to IR in a thread meant for IR. If I were to share IR content on some of the other countries' threads, it would definitely amount to spamming but not quite so if I do the same on a thread reserved for IR. Get the definition of 'spamming' right.

Tags
india, indian railway, rail