daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #1
Lebanese Cedar

Likes (Received): 25

The numerous 5-star hotels under construction in Beirut

Welcome to Beirut.

Beirut which over the past few years has been booming in tourism-related construction is seeing a huge boom in the construction of hotels, specifically luxurious 5-star hotels.

The city already has 5-star name brands such as Marriott, Sheraton, InterContinental (the largest and best IC in the Middle East), Crowne Plaza, Radisson SAS, Movenpick, Le Meridien, Le Royal, Metropolitan, Habtoor, Safir, Rotana plus some non-chain hotels such as the Royal Plaza.

Here is information and some pictures of 5-star hotels under construction in Beirut.

Alright, this one isn't a high-rise, but as it is a well-known chain, a Hilton, it is worth mentioning.
- $60 million 8-story 170-room 5-star hotel, scheduled to open later this year or early next year.

You can see it coming up in the foreground in this photo, it's not a big hotel by any means, but it's about time that Hilton gets a foothold in Beirut. There's an interesting story about Hilton and Beirut which is explained below. The sleek glassy high-rise in the background is the Marina Towers, regarded as the most prestigious residential project on the Mediterranean. It will be completed this April. I will make a thread about it later.

- $110 million 25-story 230-room 5-star hotel, scheduled to open next year.

You can see it coming up in this photo, it's on the right, the glass building that still is low. It's being built right next to the Marina Towers. The hotel will share a tunnel with the Marina Towers for access to the marina.

- $121 million 23-story 350-room 5-star hotel, scheduled to open in 2008.

I am not entirely sure, but it MIGHT look like this. If it's not, then this rendering is either an older rendering of the hotel, or a completely different hotel, but I am almost positive that this rendering is for the Hyatt, though they may have changed the design now as this rendering is a couple of years old:

The Grand Hyatt has an interesting history as it is being built on the site of the original Hilton.

The original Beirut Hilton was completed in 1975, though it never welcomed a single guest as the civil war had just started by the time they finished furnishing it.

15-years of civil war severely damaged the hotel and all its precious furniture and decorations were stolen during the war.

As a result, they decided to demolish it in 2002. You can view a video of its demolition here:
http://www.controlled-demolition.com...rut_hilton.mpg

It's good to see that a bigger and better hotel is being built in its place.

- $85 million 22-story 270-room 5-star hotel.

The Kempinski is the latest hotel to be announced having been announced only in December. I also think it has an absolutely stunning design.

There are many more 5-star hotels under construction and in development, but I don't have enough information about them or any pictures.

What I do know is that Ritz Carlton is looking to build a hotel in Beirut as is Marriott.

Marriott was the first chain to open in Beirut since the civil war ended. They operate a 5-star 174-room hotel and it is the closest hotel to the airport.

It would be interesting if Marriott opens another hotel in Beirut, perhaps a JW Marriott.

As I mentioned earlier, Beirut has numerous 5-star hotels, but the top one by far, is the historic 5-star 446-room room InterContinental Phoenicia hotel.

It's the largest and best InterContinental in the Middle East and has been ranked as the top business hotel in the entire Middle East.

You can check out information, photos, and virtual tours about it from the official website:
http://www.phoenicia-ic.com

The Four Seasons will be coming up very close to it, so soon the Phoenicia hotel will be facing intense competition and it will face even more intense competition when other top-brand 5-star hotels open such as the Grand Hyatt and Kempinski and whatever else is in the pipeline in the coming few years.

The small country of Lebanon currently has roughly 16,000 hotel rooms with more than 2,500 currently under development, mostly 5-star hotels.
Lebanese Cedar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #2
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Wow....amazing pics, and great news
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #3
Lebanese Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertez
Wow....amazing pics, and great news
My favorite is either the Kempinski or the Four Seasons.

The Kempinski is the latest having just been announced in December. I saw a big rendering of how it will look like and it is a really stunning looking building.

I'm really looking forward to it.
Old February 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Gordion
Chistlehurst

Likes (Received): 407

Good news, good luck!
Gordion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Lebanese Cedar

I just found a much better rendering of the Four Seasons:

Old February 27th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #6
-Corey-
Je suis tout Ó vous

Likes (Received): 5223

I saw the videos, is amazing

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7
CPN

Likes (Received): 0

very nice projects ... Beirut deserves more and better
CPN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM   #8
Lebanese Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPN
very nice projects ... Beirut deserves more and better
Trust me, much more is coming.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM   #9
SkylineTurbo
|| PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ||

Likes (Received): 6

Beirut is doing a fantastic job, keep it up
SkylineTurbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:32 AM   #10
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Nice to see some development in Beirut.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM   #11
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Many great projects on the way. HOw big is the city`?
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:35 AM   #12
Lebanese Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Many great projects on the way. HOw big is the city`?
1.8 million in the city proper, 2.1 million if you include the surrounding areas.

Regards
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #13
HD
░░░░░░░░░░░░

Likes (Received): 906

very nice projects. is there a touristic boom right now? are the numbers of visitors increasing? nowadays lebanon is not exactly a popular tourist destination, is it.. I hope beirut will get back some of the splendour of the pre-war years.
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #14
Lebanese Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD
very nice projects. is there a touristic boom right now? are the numbers of visitors increasing? nowadays lebanon is not exactly a popular tourist destination, is it.. I hope beirut will get back some of the splendour of the pre-war years.
Tourism was down slightly in 2005 because of the political tensions since Rafic Hariri's assassination in February 2005, but these tensions won't last forever.

Investors look at the long-run outlook and if the long-run looks good, then they invest.

The long-run outlook for Lebanon is extremely positive, especially tourism.

Tourism numbers have already reached pre-war levels. 2004 was an amazing year for Lebanon in terms of tourism and economy.

Right now there is still some political tensions, but it is hoped that it will be defusing in a couple months.

This massive project was launched just last January:
http://www.adih.ae/materials/BeirutGateSummaryE.pdf

Today I just read that the luxurious Canadian hotel company, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is currently in negotiations to build a hotel in Beirut.

The outlook looks very promising. Infact, foreign investment is the highest it has ever been in the country's history despite the current political conflict, again because the long-term outlook is very positive.

Regards
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #15
patre
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Hallo to Talal and Aubudi
patre no está en línea   Reply With Quote